• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ally bases on US soil

They've moved the vast majority of their population to within striking distance of the US Border. Why would they do that if they weren't planning to eventually invade?

Those damn Canadians! They've been playing the US for a fool this whole time!

We should've known that when they started calling us "allies"...

They've moved the vast majority of their population to within striking distance of the US Border. Why would they do that if they weren't planning to eventually invade?

I bet the politeness is all part of their plan too. That way, nobody will see them coming :shock:

No doubt the Scandinavian countries would love to have a base or two in Hawaii. Of course we can't have that. There are too many blonde-haired people running around here as it is.

No. There is zero reason for allied bases in the US. If they are feeling that froggy, they can take on more of a direct burden in their home countries or in hotspots throughout the world. Frankly...we have 4 lines of defense in place already. We have an active duty military, a reserve corp, a National Guard and a 120 million strong armed civilian militia that would stand ready to augment the Guard and reserve forces if it should ever come to that.

I honestly don't see the problem with making tons of money from them paying rent, and buying our sh*@

Would you support an ally, say Britian or Japan, having a base for one for their armed services here in the US? Why or why not? With that do you currently support US bases in other countries? If you support our bases there but not their bases here, what is your reasoning?

I would say they wouldn't serve much purpose, since there is no direct threat from another state at our location, nor would they substantively add to our physical security since our military is much larger than theirs.

I honestly don't see the problem with making tons of money from them paying rent, and buying our sh*@
What do you see as a value added to having a foreign military base on US soil, other than 'rent' which we would most likely end up subsidizing in the first place?

And lets be honest...this is purely hypothetical. its not going to happen.

Would you be comfortable with a UN base stationed on US soil?

Would you support an ally, say Britian or Japan, having a base for one for their armed services here in the US? Why or why not? With that do you currently support US bases in other countries? If you support our bases there but not their bases here, what is your reasoning?

What would be the tactical reasoning for them to put a base in the US?

What do you see as a value added to having a foreign military base on US soil, other than 'rent' which we would most likely end up subsidizing in the first place?

And lets be honest...this is purely hypothetical. its not going to happen.

Would you be comfortable with a UN base stationed on US soil?

Training. I see the added value in partnered training.

Yes, I would be comfortable for many reasons. Local resources of foreign troops, major economic development (rent, merch), and tighter relationships. I don't buy the paranoia surrounding that.

Good morning to you as well, Polgara! :2wave:

Everything goin' alright with you?

So far so good! :thumbs: Getting invites from my friends to attend high school graduation parties for their children - *getting older is a sneaky thing, dammit! :lol: * - so I'm busy writing checks, cause I remember how much fun it was to get lots of money for doing nothing except going to school, and finally getting through it! :lamo

Training. I see the added value in partnered training.

Yes, I would be comfortable for many reasons. Local resources of foreign troops, major economic development (rent, merch), and tighter relationships. I don't buy the paranoia surrounding that.
They can train without having their own base...and UN? Sorry...thats just crazy talk.

They can train without having their own base...and UN? Sorry...thats just crazy talk.

No need to be sorry. You feel that they need a reason.

I think it's beneficial to have a foreign base for the logical reasons listed above. Can you please explain to me why you're so against it? What are the reasons behind your disagreement.

No need to be sorry. You feel that they need a reason.

I think it's beneficial to have a foreign base for the logical reasons listed above. Can you please explain to me why you're so against it? What are the reasons behind your disagreement.
One word...trust. I dont trust the UN.

OK...a few more words for foreign bases. Need. We dont need them. There is zero value added to have a foreign base on US soil. There are things that go on on military installations that are completely beyond the scope of host nations. I dont want it, dont see a need for it...why invite trouble for no value added? And as i said before...if another country felt compelled to place a base here, they can probably do a better job and reduce our need 'there'.

What do you think any foreign country would see as a value added to a military installation in the US?

OK...a few more words for foreign bases. Need. We dont need them. There is zero value added to have a foreign base on US soil. There are things that go on on military installations that are completely beyond the scope of host nations. I dont want it, dont see a need for it...why invite trouble for no value added? And as i said before...if another country felt compelled to place a base here, they can probably do a better job and reduce our need 'there'.

What do you think any foreign country would see as a value added to a military installation in the US?

Such BS. Japan's economy FEEDS off our base. Same with European bases. They are money generators.

Such BS. Japan's economy FEEDS off our base. Same with European bases. They are money generators.
Where did I suggest otherwise?

I have no ethical qualms with close allies having some bases here but it doesn't make strategic sense. Think about the bases we have around the world. They are strategically placed. They are closer to potential hotspots than US based installations would be, making for swifter, cheaper military response options.

The Americas really don't have any hot spots of international concern. If our allies moved bases here they would be moving their forces AWAY from potential hot spots. Doesn't make sense.

I would be fine with it personally, fair is fair, but realistically they don't have a need or interest in doing so.

Where did I suggest otherwise?

You said they add zero value to us.

That's why I declare BS. They could REALLY boost our economy. Japan's been telling us this for decades.

We have bases in those other countries because they cant defend themselves and asked us to stay.

In principle I am fine with it. I just dont see the need right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have bases in those other countries because they cant defend themselves and asked us to stay.

In principle I am fine with it. I just dont see the need right now.

People keep throwing around the word "need". Just to be clear, it's a fact that overseas bases generate huge amounts of income for the host country. No one denies that.

So yea, we don't need anything. But why not have an allied base? Good for local training, great for money...

What's the big friggin deal?

People keep throwing around the word "need". Just to be clear, it's a fact that overseas bases generate huge amounts of income for the host country. No one denies that.

So yea, we don't need anything. But why not have an allied base? Good for local training, great for money...

What's the big friggin deal?

If our allies can not afford bases in their own countries, which is why we are there, how are they going to build a base here?

If they have the money I would prefer they take care of themselves and we can leave.

I'd would rather have reduced expenses than trying to use the military to inflate the economy.

Why do foreign countries/allies tolerate US bases? Why do THEY need them, when you don't?

Back
Top Bottom