• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez says she can’t afford apartment in DC until she receives congressional sala

Has she never heard of a bank or credit card? She can sign up for a new credit card and get 0% interest for a year and pay it off when she receives her check, or take a personal loan. If she can't even solve something as simple as that God help us that she is voting on actual issues.

I told you people she has no brain. But the lefties insisted that she's otherwise. Nevertheless, she did get elected, and I'm sure there are some options out there.

They should just let every Rep stay in their house, put in some cameras so we can watch it all, and call it.......... "The House of Representatives".

:lamo

New reality show, Schumer and Ocazio in their PJs sharing a bowl of popcorn.

She was a waitress. Don't hold your breath about her returning to that. Her plan is to stay in DC forever.
Blue:
It's a very good bet to wager she won't return to a career in waitressing.

Red:
And you know that's her plan because....?

Hey, "go fund me" is all about people willing to help other people. If someone feels inclined to ask for money and people choose to help, why not? Maybe that luxury car you always wanted could be funded by people who want you to realize that dream...

;)

like this?:
Former Donald Trump presidential campaign advisor George Papadopoulos is hoping Trump supporters will donate $250,000 to him because he’s been “the victim of the biggest plot in American political history.”
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/11/convicted-trump-advisor-papadopoulos-begging-250k-live-normal/
On the fundraising page, Papadopoulos is fancied as the victim of an international espionage scheme.

“George Papadopoulos, a young man who has devoted his bright career to serve his country and help Donald Trump to become our President, has been the victim of the biggest plot in American political history,” the page reads. “While honestly working for the Trump campaign, he became the target of many shady forces to sabotage the President.”

“He had a brilliant career that was violently interrupted,” the page claims.
how far this convicted coffee boy has fallen
and he "only" needs $250,000

check for thoughts and prayers.jpg

Has she never heard of a bank or credit card? She can sign up for a new credit card and get 0% interest for a year and pay it off when she receives her check, or take a personal loan. If she can't even solve something as simple as that God help us that she is voting on actual issues.

Do banks in the US regularly give loans to people with no current salary?

It seems her last job was in a restaurant, though I don't know in what capacity; however, that's somewhat irrelevant for some 50 or so members of Congress opt to make their office their home. Such members need not bother with much other than outfitting their office with something that passes as a bed.

I suppose that's not surprising as rents within walking distance of the US Capitol and the House and Senate office buildings are quite pricey. If, on the other hand, they are willing to commute to work, perhaps via the subway, or as Joe Biden often did, by Amtrak, there are plenty of reasonable places they can dwell.

In any case, Ms. Ocasio-Cortez is, in a manner of speaking, discovering what was self-evident to many members of Congress from 1789 to the 1850s or so: to be a member of Congress is to serve the country and as such, one is well advised to do so for a time and get the hell back to one's home state/district and resume one's professional life. Of course, in those days, the only people who could get elected were also business owners, which, as any careful study of US history knows, is for whom the US was created; thus it's no surprise that's the social cohort from which our earliest legislators were drawn.

It's astounding to me even now that prime-earning-age folks come to Washington from decent-to-lucrative jobs ($300K+/year) to take a modest salary -- $175K, which in DC and having to use it to support a family back home, ain't much at all -- and then incessantly, until one is voted out, enters one's dotage, or dies, run for reelection...I damn sure wouldn't do it unless I hailed from a place within daily-commuting range.

One of the reasons they do it is because 300K at home is a good living wage. 175K as a Congressperson makes you a millionaire in 10 years. Obama wasn't rich. He is now. Clinton's momma ran a small music store. Now they have a few hundred million. Cantor loses his job. Takes a new gig a block away at 2-3 million/year.

Blue:

Red:

She won't leave govt unless voted out.

Do banks in the US regularly give loans to people with no current salary?

She is an elected official, do you actually believe a bank is going to deny giving her a personal loan?

She is an elected official, do you actually believe a bank is going to deny giving her a personal loan?

Any bank loves a person with a relatively high guaranteed income. Especially one who might do you a favor sometime in the future.

In spite of what she says, she didn't grow up poor. Her parents might float her a loan.

I don't think her remarks have anything to do being unable to suss up a solution. I mean, really...Do you honestly think that the instant she mentioned the matter to any of her imminent colleagues she didn't within a week, if that long, have a place to lay her head in DC?

FWIW:

It seems her last job was in a restaurant, though I don't know in what capacity; however, that's somewhat irrelevant for some 50 or so members of Congress opt to make their office their home. Such members need not bother with much other than outfitting their office with something that passes as a bed.

I suppose that's not surprising as rents within walking distance of the US Capitol and the House and Senate office buildings are quite pricey. If, on the other hand, they are willing to commute to work, perhaps via the subway, or as Joe Biden often did, by Amtrak, there are plenty of reasonable places they can dwell.

In any case, Ms. Ocasio-Cortez is, in a manner of speaking, discovering what was self-evident to many members of Congress from 1789 to the 1850s or so: to be a member of Congress is to serve the country and as such, one is well advised to do so for a time and get the hell back to one's home state/district and resume one's professional life. Of course, in those days, the only people who could get elected were also business owners, which, as any careful study of US history knows, is for whom the US was created; thus it's no surprise that's the social cohort from which our earliest legislators were drawn.

It's astounding to me even now that prime-earning-age folks come to Washington from decent-to-lucrative jobs ($300K+/year) to take a modest salary -- $175K, which in DC and having to use it to support a family back home, ain't much at all -- and then incessantly, until one is voted out, enters one's dotage, or dies, run for reelection...I damn sure wouldn't do it unless I hailed from a place within daily-commuting range.

One of the reasons they do it is because 300K at home is a good living wage. 175K as a Congressperson makes you a millionaire in 10 years. Obama wasn't rich. He is now. Clinton's momma ran a small music store. Now they have a few hundred million. Cantor loses his job. Takes a new gig a block away at 2-3 million/year.

Red:
What? One of the reasons "they" (presumably members of Congress) do what "it?"

$300K/year (as a household income) is nowhere an unlivable wage, but in many locales, it's also not enough to live more than a middle class lifestyle, mortgage and kids and all the trappings that accompany such a life.

Blue:
Only if one can literally bank every bit of one's after-tax net on that $175K. Otherwise, that $175 on its own isn't about to make one, save maybe the most austerely penurious folks around, a millionaire in ten years.

Pink:
His books are what enabled him to enter the runs of entry-level wealthy.

Lots of people when taking a new job have that problem.

In her words, "you just pay for it, duh".

Welcome to the real world.

She called it part of "the little things" and you people are acting like she's freaking out over something insurmountable.

Also, LOL at your idiotic quoting of her.

She was a waitress. Don't hold your breath about her returning to that. Her plan is to stay in DC forever.

Blue:

Red:

She won't leave govt unless voted out.

Pink:

giphy.gif

I told you people she has no brain. But the lefties insisted that she's otherwise. Nevertheless, she did get elected, and I'm sure there are some options out there.

she's a bit of a bubblehead but she appears personable and attractive. you'd think some wealthy single guy would love having her as a girlfriend. she could go on "Baggage" and see if she can score some $$$ venture capital guy or Dot.com millionaire.

And she must not be too bright if she doesn't realize that if she wins, she'll have some moving expenses. Those kinds of things would enter most people's minds before they make such a decision. It sounds to me like she wants someone to pay those expenses for her. She'll probably have some luck in that, but it doesn't say much of anything good about her. She's going to make decisions for the American people? Heh. She can't even manage her own finances.

I am sympathetic to her plight. On the other hand, I am delighted that we have a representative that is going through what most Americans are going through -- instead of another millionaire in Congress that is disconnected from the middle class.
Exactly. This is a great sign, that we're sending Dem reps of modest financial means to Washington!

:thumbs:

It was similar with the Obamas, who weren't at the level of the OP rep, but Barak Obama had only a few years earlier been working in the SouthSide housing projects at 27K a year. Being top of his class at Harvard, along with the President of Yale Law Review (first African American, to boot), he could have gone right to the top of the gold-chip corporate firms at maybe 200K to start, with possible untold wealth accrual as the piled-on. I always greatly respected him for that.

And she must not be too bright if she doesn't realize that if she wins, she'll have some moving expenses. Those kinds of things would enter most people's minds before they make such a decision. It sounds to me like she wants someone to pay those expenses for her. She'll probably have some luck in that, but it doesn't say much of anything good about her. She's going to make decisions for the American people? Heh. She can't even manage her own finances.

Wow. Sounds like you have a bitter axe to grind. I think she's merely stating a matter of fact. It's telling that somebody who is not rich wins so rarely that they encounter unique problems most candidates never have to think about. Congress is riddled with elites and we need more people like her representing the people, people that are more like her than ivy league born into wealth disconnects. But you seem to think those are all negatives.

She is a bright young woman, no question. However she's been living a spoiled disconnected life thanks to her family. It happens all too often. Parents love their children and give them everything they wanted themselves during their growth years. We sometimes forget as parents, our children need to learn self discipline in the ways of the world. We can hope that this young lady learns quickly as she espouses the needs of those in need. The people come first, not her personal comfort and not political agendas designed to patronize those being served.

Wow. Sounds like you have a bitter axe to grind. I think she's merely stating a matter of fact. It's telling that somebody who is not rich wins so rarely that they encounter unique problems most candidates never have to think about. Congress is riddled with elites and we need more people like her representing the people, people that are more like her than ivy league born into wealth disconnects. But you seem to think those are all negatives.

One doesn't have to be a member of the elite to understand that bills must be paid. We all face that. There's no axe to grind. Others have faced similar difficulties and have managed to work things out. She can find a room, get a PO Box, and get to work. NYC is pretty pricey too. This shouldn't come as a surprise to her.

I am sympathetic to her plight. On the other hand, I am delighted that we have a representative that is going through what most Americans are going through -- instead of another millionaire in Congress that is disconnected from the middle class.

I agree with this. hopefully we can get other such people in office.

she's a bit of a bubblehead but she appears personable and attractive. you'd think some wealthy single guy would love having her as a girlfriend. she could go on "Baggage" and see if she can score some $$$ venture capital guy or Dot.com millionaire.

I'm not positive, but you may want to change "some wealthy single guy" to "some wealthy bull dyke." It's so much more fashionable these days. :)

I heard Anthony will be available sometime around May.

Back
Top Bottom