• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Abstinence Education - a failure? (1 Viewer)

Abstinence education isn't bad. Abstinence-only education is.
Abstinence education is a no-brainer, so it's not necessary.

"If you don't have sex you won't get pregnant" - duh

"If you don't eat food you won't gain weight" - duh

"If you don't shower you'll smell like shyt" - duh

Maybe it'd have a real use in special-ed classes, but that's about it.

Abstinence only education is a failure on almost every level. First off to expect anyone to remain abstinent is unrealistic. It is human nature to want to have sex, just like it is human nature to want to eat, or socialize. It is just part of being human. I remember my sex education in public school, and looking back on it. I realize it was terrible. The first misstep I remember were separating the girls, and the boys. It was adding fuel to the fire, of this "sex" thing we were all so curious about. I remember each side talking to each other wanting to hear what they learned and vise versa. So instead of learning about the opposite sex from a teacher,we learned about them from our classmates, not a very accurate source. I remember when we discussed sex there was no talk of contraception, of any kind, and everytime they mentioned sex it was always precluded with the phrase when a man, and his wife, or when the married couple have sex, and with wording like that, it completely ignores premarital sex, and homosexual sex. Which is just wrong. This country really needs to dump this stance on sexual education, it leads to nothing but, unwanted pregnancies, and disease. Without proper information, on how to practice safer-sex, or the accommodations to practice safer-sex(i.e. access to condoms, in schools, or health centers) then we will never cut down on the numbers of STI's, or unwanted pregnancies. I personally didn't really know all too much about sex until had access to internet sites, that are run by real sexual educators that don't want to work for the government because the governments stance on sexual education is just terrible.(Just to clarify I'm not talking about personal websites, or blogs. I'm talking about sites run by professional sex educators that want to give teens, a proper sexual education. One example of the sites I frequented were scarleteen.com)

Well when I went to school, there was an enormous amount of education on sex and contraception. And it was never mentioned in such a way to only mention married couples. That was 15 years ago. There was nothing left unsaid.

Sadly, sex education is just as much of a failure. Somehow people got the idea that kids are too irresponsible to practice abstinence, but they are plenty responsible enough to properly and consistently use contraception. The abortion statistics prove that was just another pipe dream. No one listened. The people who listened, were the ones who were practicing abstinence. The majority of the class.

Well when I went to school, there was an enormous amount of education on sex and contraception. And it was never mentioned in such a way to only mention married couples. That was 15 years ago. There was nothing left unsaid.

Sadly, sex education is just as much of a failure. Somehow people got the idea that kids are too irresponsible to practice abstinence, but they are plenty responsible enough to properly and consistently use contraception. The abortion statistics prove that was just another pipe dream. No one listened. The people who listened, were the ones who were practicing abstinence. The majority of the class.

Yep, "abstinence-only" sex ed is doing such a great job, we should make it mandatory across the country. :roll:

Study Casts Doubt on Abstinence-Only Programs

A Comparison of the Sexual Behavior of Virginity Pledgers and Matched Nonpledgers

Abstinence-only sex education doesn't work, say UGA researchers

States that mandate abstinence-only sex education programs in public schools have higher teenage pregnancy and birth rates than states that have more comprehensive programs that also teach other ways to prevent pregnancy, according to Kathrin Stanger-Hall and David Hall.

“This clearly shows that prescribed abstinence-only education in public schools does not lead to abstinent behavior. It may even contribute to the high teen pregnancy rates in the U.S. compared to other industrialized countries,” said David Hall, a genetics professor in UGA’s Franklin College of Arts and Sciences and Stanger-Hall’s husband.

... the researchers still found that the more abstinence is emphasized in a state’s official sex education programs, the higher teenage pregnancy and birth rates are.

U.S. TEEN PREGNANCY RATE AT LOWEST LEVEL IN NEARLY 40 YEARS

for some folks, reality has very little connection with what they believe to be true

I never said abstinence only was doing a good job. Or that we should make it mandatory.

Yes I agree. You have little connection with reality.

Abstinence-only education is a poor attempt at sex-education.

Teens should be taught to wait. There's nothing wrong with waiting. Nonetheless, it's important to realize that teens are gonna want to ****. I sure did. And I did.
The physchological effects of sex on both them and their partner should be explored and explained. And if they don't want to keep it in their pants, they should know how to at least know how to do it safely.

Abstinence only education is a failure on almost every level. First off to expect anyone to remain abstinent is unrealistic

:shrug: The only woman I have ever slept with (or intend to) is my wife. And it's not exactly like young single Marines don't have opportunities.

It is human nature to want to have sex, just like it is human nature to want to eat, or socialize

yup. And like other human drives, there are correct ways and incorrect ways to express it. Abstinence Only education isn't Never Have Sex. It is Wait For Your Spouse. I love to eat, which doesn't mean I should eat everything I want. Ditto, I love to have sex, which doesn't mean I should have sex with any woman I want.

:shrug: The only woman I have ever slept with (or intend to) is my wife. And it's not exactly like young single Marines don't have opportunities.

yup. And like other human drives, there are correct ways and incorrect ways to express it. Abstinence Only education isn't Never Have Sex. It is Wait For Your Spouse. I love to eat, which doesn't mean I should eat everything I want. Ditto, I love to have sex, which doesn't mean I should have sex with any woman I want.

I think what you've described here is pretty admirable and on a personal level i'm of the same mind myself, but your anecdote doesn't contradict the evidence. Evidence shows that on a macro scale, abstinence-only education is largely a failure when compared to other forms of sex ed, like teaching about proper and safe contraception. It's unreasonable to expect the vast majority of men to do as you have done.

Last edited:
Has it failed wherever it's implemented? What is proof of the failure of the program?

Yeah - like everyone said; it's a fail.

Abstinence violates human nature.

It also is completely undone by every parent who doesn't want to talk about sex and reality with their kids and teens. The whole 'oh I'm not ready to discuss' it approach obviously isn't working. Parents can be uninvolved and unconcerned completely when it comes to the most important and serious drives of human nature. You cannot just expect someone to not want to have sex because of how *you* feel about talking about it. Kids don't work that way.

I didn't work that way.

My parents - a few times - had the 'natural part of sex' talk; all about pregnancy and birth. They never once discussed the dangers of sex and the risks (like getting pregnant - in a negative way) - their cherry view of child-rearing and having a family clashed with their quieter 'don't do it' concept. That coupled with society's response to pregnancy of 'oh - congratulations' . . . . left me with the absolute sense that pregnancy was good and fine - the sex, not so much, but if you were pregnant it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Oh wait - nope - that wasn't it. I didn't *intend* on getting pregnant. But their response to me was completely *not* happy - it caught me off guard. The **** they said shocked the hell out of me. I woke up one night to find my Mom crying on the floor threatening to kill herself. . . Gee :roll: I suddenly felt like I was the only mature one living in that house! My parents forgot about me completely and instead focused all on their emotions, their feelings, how it affected them.

They gave me two options: drop out of school, get married and get out - or go to a nunnery.

I got married and got out.

*AFTER* your child tells you she's pregnant is *NOT* then the time to talk about why she shouldn't have done all that and how her life will be ruined and what her future will involve. But you know what; the worst thing is that people's natural response is to suddenly act like your child is all grown up and capable of making good solid choices not only for theirselves but for their child. . . that's just pure stupidity. Is that human nature?

I knew they'd be angry and upset - but I didn't know they'd go to such vile extremes to shun me from the family and ensure I had a completely ****ty future.

Last edited:
Has it failed wherever it's implemented? What is proof of the failure of the program?

I don't know about the effectiveness of formal abstinence education, but I would expect it to be pretty ineffective. Abstinence teaching is best done in the home environment, as it was when I was a kid, because alot of its effectiveness lies in the child's unwillingness to let down the people who love him/her. I was taught by my parents that sex was for after marriage, because of my religious upbringing, and in that time period, it was pretty much only the "bad girls" who slept around. It had a pretty strong impact on my behaviors, because the last thing I wanted to do was disappoint my parents, and at that time, I associated sex with my idea of love (I still do), so I wasn't about to get sexually involved with someone who did not display what I thought were loving actions.

Times have changed, and I don't think that many kids today associate sex with love, so the sexual impulse is acted upon much more readily.

I don't know about the effectiveness of formal abstinence education, but I would expect it to be pretty ineffective. Abstinence teaching is best done in the home environment, as it was when I was a kid, because alot of its effectiveness lies in the child's unwillingness to let down the people who love him/her. I was taught by my parents that sex was for after marriage, because of my religious upbringing, and in that time period, it was pretty much only the "bad girls" who slept around. It had a pretty strong impact on my behaviors, because the last thing I wanted to do was disappoint my parents, and at that time, I associated sex with my idea of love (I still do), so I wasn't about to get sexually involved with someone who did not display what I thought were loving actions.

Times have changed, and I don't think that many kids today associate sex with love, so the sexual impulse is acted upon much more readily.

True - it's *just sex* - vs *romance* = romance is now what sex use to be for us growing up.

True - it's *just sex* - vs *romance* = romance is now what sex use to be for us growing up.

Maybe so. To me all three concepts were kind of wrapped up into one, thus the reason I didn't get asked out on many dates. :lol: (I was too serious, and I wanted it all:))

Last edited:
I think what you've described here is pretty admirable and on a personal level i'm of the same mind myself, but your anecdote doesn't contradict the evidence

The claim was "to expect anyone to remain abstinent is unrealistic". I think Lizzie has hit pretty effectively on abstinence education effectiveness, and it's one of the many reasons that this subject belongs in the home rather than in the schools, which might instead better spend their time devoted to improving our dismal reading scores.

It's unreasonable to expect the vast majority of men to do as you have done.

Not really. I'm not uniquely disciplined, possessed of a depressed sexual drive, or any other advantage over the vast majority of men.

Romance is for people my mom's age.

You're probably right about that, and I'm probably about your mom's age, if I were going to take a wild guess. I was raised by parents who got involved with each other at a young age, and dated for 4 years before there was even a kiss. They got married, had four girls, and lived happily ever after until my Dad died last summer, and my parents still loved each other undyingly. They still enjoyed each other's company, and they still did things together for fun. They are rare, I realize, but that example is the one I grew up with, so it impacted me pretty strongly.

Interesting and (although the focus is abortion) perhaps pertinent:

What is perhaps most interesting is the sharp decline in the abortion rate among teenagers. Since 1990 the teen abortion rate (for those ages 15–19) fell by 55 percent. Other age groups saw considerably smaller declines and there was even a small increase in the abortion rate for women aged 40–44. To its credit, the report cites a decline in teen sexual activity as a reason for the decline in the minor abortion rate. An earlier report by the CDC found that the percentage of female teens who had never engaged in sexual activity increased by 16 percent since 1995...

that's good - like I've always said; it's related to sex in general.

States by Teen Pregnancy in 2010

Screen Shot 2012-04-10 at 1.20.05 PM.JPG

States that do not accept Abstinence Only Funds for sex education programs

gpr120106c1.jpg

Your call.

Last edited:
I think it's a cultural thing around here - in the south we're big on bonfires, getting drunk, and being with someone.

I can't recall anyone in my highschool years that wasn't wrapped up in some sort of love triangle - me included. . . the concept of being single is something I've never known - I've been single for at most 5 months total between all the different relationships I've had. My ex husband - when we married - always assured me that 'things will work out because we're together'

LOL - holy ****, what crap.

If I cared more about myself as an individual I would have been ok on my own - single - and not desperate for affection.

Aunt Spiker said:
If I cared more about myself as an individual I would have been ok on my own - single - and not desperate for affection.

Yup, you're screwed by your geography, as you indicated.

In this part of the country, if you're 25 and unmarried, people wonder what the hell is wrong with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom