• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Abortion And The BIBLE

I'm not the one advocating for the existence, or non-existence, of a soul of any kind
Evidently you are, since you insist the soul continues to exist somewhere else after death...
hat phrase - immortal soul - wasn't invented by me.
No, it was invented by Satan when he told Eve that she would not die if she ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and bad...
I can certainly read what it says
Reading is not understanding/comprehending...not by a long shot and you prove that point perfectly...

Evidently you are, since you insist the soul continues to exist somewhere else after death...
No. I make no such insistence. Reread my post number #363. I only referred to the widely held concepts of western religion.
No, it was invented by Satan when he told Eve that she would not die if she ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and bad...
. . . . you believe in a talking serpent?? And you count this story, among others, as the only things that make sense in life??!!?? Really? REALLY ???
Do talking serpents make sense to you? Have you ever seen or heard one? If you haven't, and I suspect that is the case, then why would you believe one ever existed? If Satan enjoyed such a monumental success becoming one, as he seemed to have, one would think he'd have used the talking serpent act a lot more often - right up until today. Yet I've never seen nor heard one. Surely you can understand why most people would not think it makes sense.
Reading is not understanding/comprehending...not by a long shot and you prove that point perfectly...
You've proved that point yourself. If you read my post #375, you've shown no signs of comprehending it. OR, you comprehend it all too well, and simply decline to address the content of my second paragraph. There's no amount of "understanding/comprehending" that can contort and distort the words of the bible enough to make it not the work of a misogynist god. And since that lowly attribution simply cannot be applied to the creator of the universe, the only conclusion that logic can possibly bring us is that the bible is a book written by men, about men, and for men. Any other suggestion amounts to nothing less than total intellectual dishonesty.

Realize that I fully expect you to continue to believe what you claim to believe. Your entrenchment on the matter is simply to deep to ever climb out of. But you'll have to just find it in your heart to forgive me for continuing to challenge those beliefs, because it is crystal clear to me that they are not well examined ones.

Pax Vobiscum.

No. I make no such insistence. Reread my post number #363. I only referred to the widely held concepts of western religion.

. . . . you believe in a talking serpent?? And you count this story, among others, as the only things that make sense in life??!!?? Really? REALLY ???
Do talking serpents make sense to you? Have you ever seen or heard one? If you haven't, and I suspect that is the case, then why would you believe one ever existed? If Satan enjoyed such a monumental success becoming one, as he seemed to have, one would think he'd have used the talking serpent act a lot more often - right up until today. Yet I've never seen nor heard one. Surely you can understand why most people would not think it makes sense.

You've proved that point yourself. If you read my post #375, you've shown no signs of comprehending it. OR, you comprehend it all too well, and simply decline to address the content of my second paragraph. There's no amount of "understanding/comprehending" that can contort and distort the words of the bible enough to make it not the work of a misogynist god. And since that lowly attribution simply cannot be applied to the creator of the universe, the only conclusion that logic can possibly bring us is that the bible is a book written by men, about men, and for men. Any other suggestion amounts to nothing less than total intellectual dishonesty.

Realize that I fully expect you to continue to believe what you claim to believe. Your entrenchment on the matter is simply to deep to ever climb out of. But you'll have to just find it in your heart to forgive me for continuing to challenge those beliefs, because it is crystal clear to me that they are not well examined ones.

Pax Vobiscum.
Sorry, bud...you can't challenge what you fail to understand...at least not in a valid way...

Your verses were talking about the baby moving and leaping for joy.

And?

Also, I am not a Christian.

so......................you're a liar. You claimed to have found Christ in one of our not-so recent debate.

What's the point of discussion with someone who can readily resort to lies without batting an eyelash in her argument?

I'll make a point of remembering that. SheWolf is a liar.

Goodbye.

It is exactly what I think

There goes the justice system! :)

Then, you're wrong. There is such a thing called the law.....and Christians are supposed to adhere to them.

Genesis 9:6

“Whoever sheds man’s blood,
By man his blood shall be shed,
For in the image of God
He made man.

There. That's capital punishment.

Lol. I suppose you're okay to let rape go on unpunished - let all criminal activities play out in our society?
You don't think we should have judges and cops! That's what you're saying - if you don't realize it.

Furthermore......you're missing the whole point of the outrage over abortion, if you're using "vengeance is mine," for an argument.
First of all,
it's not in the same context!

Vengeance is mine means - you don't take the law into your own hands to get vengeance on someone who oppresses you.

Nurturing hatred in your heart will only cause you bitterness and distress. Forgive them......for your own sake. Leave the rest to God.

It is not wreaking vengeance on abortionists to want to stop the murder of the children!
That's the main reason for pro-lifers - to save children!
To speak for those who can't speak for themselves.

To defend the weak and the vulnerable!

Are you a Christian? If you are - then you should be familiar with those I stated above. That's what Christians are supposed to do.

Btw.....I hope you're not a supporter of Me Too.
Those people - mostly women - who come out now and accuse people of rape or assault allegedly done in ancient time!

Last edited:
Why wouldn't we ignore it? This isn't a theocracy

You think and reason like Lursa.
You both got the same "off-key" pov.
Like, you're both yapping......but heck, you both aren't sure what it is you're actually yapping about.
Your responses are coming out as....................vacuous.

FYI

That's what the pro-lifers are fighting for - to change it.

Ignore my foot! Hello? :rolleyes:
You're not ignoring it - otherwise you wouldn't even be banging on that keyboard - and joining the fray in this thread!

Hahahaha - what do you think all these protests and debates on abortion from both sides are all about?
What do you think the effort from prolifers - and the fear in pro-choice people - regarding the attempt to overturn RoeVWade, is all about?

Just to pass the time?

Last edited:
Why wouldn't we ignore it? This isn't a theocracy

I see that Lursa agrees with you on that since she liked what you said.
Well - this goes to both of you:

If you're a Christian.......

.....................you should look at this as a THEOCRACY!

To a Christian........The Supreme Ruler is God!

Frankly, your characterization of my posts as "ridicule" misses the mark. By a lot. I was simply responding to a very specific question addressed to me. If you can point out anything that amounts to "ridicule", then you've misinterpreted what I wrote. Try rereading it.

Your post:

"LOL - asking me why god spoke of Jerimiah is preposterous, as I feel no obligation to explain any Bronze Age book of myths. In this case, the answer to your question lies with what YOU believe.
If you believe in an omniscient god - one who knows all things from before time to the end of time - then that alone explains that quote with no other qualification necessary. Full stop.
If you don't believe your god is omniscient, then I suspect you'll have to grapple with worshipping a god who is still figuring it out as he goes along.
Which is it? You tell me."

You clearly do not hold any faith in the religions based on the Biblical Stories, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, in whole or in part.

You dismissively refer to the Bible as a book of myths and compare it to "any Bronze Age book of myths". You go on to imply that worshipping a deity for which you hold no faith is a mark of people who are, in your view, less.

It is possible to positively assert your own beliefs without denigrating the beliefs of others.

Of course, this charity and grace need not extend to Packers Fans. ;)

So . . . . what are you telling me? That you're not willing to look up the dozens of other references anyone can easily find in any biblical concordance? Then your inquiry into my source lacks sincerity - because those references speak for themselves. I'm not here to service your agenda to rob women of their own bodily autonomy. If the outrageous claims of the allegedly "pro-life" legions are supposed to be biblically based, then why do they fail to address what the bible itself repeats - over and over and over and over again ???

I don't claim to be a biblical scholar - in any sense of the word. But anyone who does assert that they adhere to a belief in that text shouldn't have to resort to cherry picking the parts they like, and ignoring the parts they don't like, just to fit their preconceived agenda. That doesn't sound christian to me. I don't claim adherence to the book. If you do, then selectively shying away from what it says when it suits your own agenda is your own burden. Not mine.

Whoa, big fellow! No need to run around with your hair on fire.

YOU asserted that beliefs held by people who justified them using the Bible were actually undermined by Biblical quotes and presented one that did not address the topic of your thought process.

I was only pointing that out. I said NOTHING to indicate that my goal or even any thought that crossed my mind was intended to "...to rob women of their own bodily autonomy."

I happen to be absolutely astounded that the DNA created in the first single cell of a human being in the womb is identical to the DNA present in each cell on their body throughout their life until they ultimately die.

There are various varieties of cells, but only one, unique and individual, variety of DNA that are present in every human being. Astonishing!

More than 30 Trillion cells are living in any adult body at any particular moment. Through any person's life, cells die and are replaced and they all have the same identical, and apparently completely unique, DNA.

This is as true for the first single cell as it is for any of the cells that follow. I suppose that first cell is among those that die away and get replaced. That presents other interesting philosophical questions of identity, I suppose.

It's really very amazing and, for me, impossible to grasp. Like so many things, I don't have the ability to fully understand this. However, I CAN be in awe of the awesome majesty of the idea.

gboisjo said:
The sources were in regard to Lursa's post where it would appear her sources were picked via a quick google search. The truth is this, depending on one's
position regarding abortion agreeing information can be found on the web that support both positions. Its the scientific proof that interest me. I won't post
sources, you can explore on your own if interested.

I have a OneNote with loads of sources and saved text. So you are wrong on that point. (For example, that's how I also whip out links for adoption in the US (Over 100,000 kids waiting for homes) and my list showing how responsible a decision that abortion can be.)

And I went thru each of your links and pointed out why they did not uphold your 'reasoning' that so many women suffer depression and other long term mental health issues that it affects society overall.

You are just continuing on with this because you cannot show that there are any negative effects of abortion on society...you said there are, so please list some.

One of your links is from the opinion page of the LA Times by columnist Robin Abcarian. First of all opinion sections are not where valid arguments are found, they are opinionated, jaded and biased sources. Robin Abcarian is an opinion columnist at the Los Angeles Times. Look for sources with a .org, a generic top-level domain if you want to be taken serious.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Robin Abcarian.jpg
    Robin Abcarian.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 0

You think and reason like Lursa.
You both got the same "off-key" pov.
Like, you're both yapping......but heck, you both aren't sure what it is you're actually yapping about.
Your responses are coming out as....................vacuous.

FYI

That's what the pro-lifers are fighting for - to change it.

Ignore my foot! Hello? :rolleyes:
You're not ignoring it - otherwise you wouldn't even be banging on that keyboard - and joining the fray in this thread!

Hahahaha - what do you think all these protests and debates on abortion from both sides are all about?
What do you think the effort from prolifers - and the fear in pro-choice people - regarding the attempt to overturn RoeVWade, is all about?

Just to pass the time?

Good luck
Lol

God clearly supports abortion, in fact rather more extreme than myself, he supports Post Birth Abortion.

So there's that.

The same child in the womb is the same one that’s born so I where would all this sudden compassion actually come from?

The same child in the womb is the same one that’s born so I where would all this sudden compassion actually come from?

Is this anything like replying to what I said?

If the religious want to lie and claim that they can use their religion to control the reproductive systems of women (you know, really small government Conservative stuff) then they better explain to me why God kills children for the crimes of their fathers, cause I don't get it...

And while we're at it, if the Child in the Womb if the same one that was born, the same one that grew up and the same precious life we are meant to protect, it would be nice if you didn't act like things like COVID aren't a problem and scoff at things like Mask Wearing that is trying to stop it spreading as much as possible.

One of your links is from the opinion page of the LA Times by columnist Robin Abcarian. First of all opinion sections are not where valid arguments are found, they are opinionated, jaded and biased sources. Robin Abcarian is an opinion columnist at the Los Angeles Times. Look for sources with a .org, a generic top-level domain if you want to be taken serious.
I'm afraid that you fail on due diligence and understanding AGAIN.

The 'opinion piece' links to a study and discusses it...it's not just somebody's 'opinion.' :rolleyes:
"We know this thanks to a long-term study conducted by scientists at UC San Francisco’s Bixby Center for Global Reproductive Health. The study examined differences between women who had abortions and women who were refused abortions because their pregnancies were too advanced.​
A number of papers have been generated by the study, which included 1,000 women at the outset.​
A book, by lead researcher Diana Greene Foster, is in the works. And one of the final papers from the study was recently published in the journal Social Science and Medicine."​

IMO, now you are just using this as a device to avoid the discussion.

Please return to what we were discussing: you disagree with my claim that abortion doenst negatively affect society. I asked you to prove it does. Please do. Please give some examples. The current one, about 'individual women' has been refuted. By multiple sources, not just the one you referred to, incorrectly, here.

And?

so......................you're a liar. You claimed to have found Christ in one of our not-so recent debate.

What's the point of discussion with someone who can readily resort to lies without batting an eyelash in her argument?

I'll make a point of remembering that. SheWolf is a liar.

Goodbye.
You must have misread something I wrote recently, because I have not recently converted to Christianity. The concept of accepting Jesus doesn't mean much to me, because I don't reject him as a prophet. I never have . Calling somebody a liar about the status of their own religion is very strange.

You must have misread something I wrote recently, because I have not recently converted to Christianity. The concept of accepting Jesus doesn't mean much to me, because I don't reject him as a prophet. I never have . Calling somebody a liar about the status of their own religion is very strange.
Pay her no mind...she has a reading comprehension deficit...

I'm afraid that you fail on due diligence and understanding AGAIN.

The 'opinion piece' links to a study and discusses it...it's not just somebody's 'opinion.' :rolleyes:
"We know this thanks to a long-term study conducted by scientists at UC San Francisco’s Bixby Center for Global Reproductive Health. The study examined differences between women who had abortions and women who were refused abortions because their pregnancies were too advanced.​
A number of papers have been generated by the study, which included 1,000 women at the outset.​
A book, by lead researcher Diana Greene Foster, is in the works. And one of the final papers from the study was recently published in the journal Social Science and Medicine."​

IMO, now you are just using this as a device to avoid the discussion.

Please return to what we were discussing: you disagree with my claim that abortion doenst negatively affect society. I asked you to prove it does. Please do. Please give some examples. The current one, about 'individual women' has been refuted. By multiple sources, not just the one you referred to, incorrectly, here.
Again, this is simple common sense of which you seem to be lacking. Roughly, 46% of Americans are pro life ..something you can't stand to hear, I'm sure. It's those people who hesitate but go ahead with an abortion because its available. Those are the ones who are likely to suffer afterwards ..yes, those people who think the unborn are more than a blob.

As a result the study is flawed, who were the 1000 women who were selected to participate in the study ..were they a cross selection of people many of which were most likely pro abortion? Studies like this one mean nothing, broken from the start.

Again your spelling is disappointing, doenst is not a word.

Again, this is simple common sense of which you seem to be lacking. Roughly, 46% of Americans are pro life ..something you can't stand to hear, I'm sure. It's those people who hesitate but go ahead with an abortion because its available. Those are the ones who are likely to suffer afterwards ..yes, those people who think the unborn are more than a blob.
It doesnt matter what the majority of Americans believe when it comes to Const rights....however obviously the majority DOES support elective abortion. The number you are posting includes women that would not have an abortion but still support others choice. It depends on how the poll is worded.

You are not making any argument here, all you are doing is posting "this is how I feel! This is what I believe!" What about the women that DONT share your feelings or believe as you do? What entitles YOU to control their reproductive status, make decisions for them?

"Democracy therefore requires minority rights equally as it does majority rule. Indeed, as democracy is understood today, the minority's rights must be protected no matter how alienated a minority is from the majority society; otherwise, the majority's rights lose their meaning. In the United States, individual liberties, as well as the rights of groups and individual states, are protected through the Bill of Rights, which were drafted by James Madison and adopted as the first Ten Amendments to the Constitution.​
These enumerate the rights that may not be violated by the government, safeguarding in theory against majority tyranny. Today, such rights are considered the essential element of any liberal democracy and are embodied in international human rights conventions."​

Please give my question direct answers instead of repeating yourself and your 'belief,' it's a discussion.

As a result the study is flawed, who were the 1000 women who were selected to participate in the study ..were they a cross selection of people many of which were most likely pro abortion? Studies like this one mean nothing, broken from the start.
How do you know? Provide some specific reasons. You just dismissed about 5 different sources because they dont confirm your narrative :rolleyes:

And again, since you have not proven in the least that most women suffer long term effects from abortion (and I proved they dont)...lol you'd still have to prove that their behavior/conditions negatively affected society :rolleyes:

So again, you disagreed with my claim that abortion has no negative effects on society. So then please provide some examples proving that wrong.

You clearly do not hold any faith in the religions based on the Biblical Stories, Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, in whole or in part.
Well, no. Not exactly. What I "clearly do not hold any faith in" is a belief in the historical accuracy, and literal inerrancy of those texts - in other words, that those stories should be taken literally by educated adults. My contention is that if any adult with no preconceived ideas about its content, no knowledge of its origin, and no insight into when it was written, were to pick up a copy of "the Holy Bible" today, and simply start reading it, they would very quickly come to the conclusion that it was, if not merely a poorly written book of fiction, then a book of stories meant to appease the questions of precocious children - from Genesis forward. No intellectually honest person with even so much as an eighth grade education would swallow the cosmology - because it defies everything we've known about the universe and our solar system for hundreds of years already. That should be obvious to any thinking person.

But it's almost impossible to find people who qualify under the highlighted sections above, because the very word "bible" has taken on the de facto definition of "the supreme authority", so any prospective reader can't even get past the cover, or the title page, without harboring expectations about its content. The Holy Bible! The Shooter's Bible, The Comedy Bible, The Fisherman's Bible, The Writer's Bible, . . . . . . and the list goes on and on ad infinitum. We've come to the point where if anybody wants to write the ultimate authoritative compendium on any subject, they need only call it a “bible” to invoke a similar reverence for the veracity of the text. Effectively, the word bible means final authority!

So what then is the natural result of reading the title The Holy Bible on the cover?? It immediately places undo credibility to the text that isn’t earned by the content. Without it, the entire opening cosmology - a 6 day creation myth - would garner as much serious consideration today as stories of Zeus on Mount Olympus, and the talking serpent story and exile from Eden would rank right up there with tales like Homer’s Odyssey. It is only under the imprimatur of “The Holy Bible” that any credibility is given the book at all, because the content offers no verifiable proof that it is the word of god. None whatsoever.

You dismissively refer to the Bible as a book of myths and compare it to "any Bronze Age book of myths".
And why not? Is there any evidence that it is anything but exactly that? None that I’m aware of. In fact, after hundreds of years of trying to prove its veracity, nothing has even come close. The government of Israel once spent years, and millions of shekels, to put a team of noted archeologists into Sinai to look for any evidence that would confirm any part of the story of Moses and the exodus - and came up empty!

You go on to imply that worshipping a deity for which you hold no faith is a mark of people who are, in your view, less.
No. That’s also inaccurate. I only call attention to what worshipping such a deity really entails, in the hopes that its adherents might look into a mirror and admit to themselves exactly who and what they are “worshipping” - and all of that by the admissions of its own alleged author!

If you believe the Bible is the “word of god”, then god himself consents to slavery, and declares there is a “chosen people” - I.e. racism! God himself calls on Israel to commit genocide against another people. God himself claims to be vengeful. God himself claims to be jealous. God himself relegates women to be less than men - i.e. misogyny. God himself is punitive to the point of wiping out the entire planet, save a single family on a boat that, I guess, we’re expected to believe we must all be descendant from. Not my words - but “god’s words!” That litany of character flaws, and others, are - by god’s own admission - what a person who believes in biblical inerrancy must swallow - and keep from retching up!

When I point these things out, it isn’t the people who are, in my view, less. It is their beliefs that are less!

Your post:

"LOL - asking me why god spoke of Jerimiah is preposterous, as I feel no obligation to explain any Bronze Age book of myths. In this case, the answer to your question lies with what YOU believe.
If you believe in an omniscient god - one who knows all things from before time to the end of time - then that alone explains that quote with no other qualification necessary. Full stop.
If you don't believe your god is omniscient, then I suspect you'll have to grapple with worshipping a god who is still figuring it out as he goes along.
Which is it? You tell me."

You dismissively refer to the Bible as a book of myths and compare it to "any Bronze Age book of myths". You go on to imply that worshipping a deity for which you hold no faith is a mark of people who are, in your view, less.

It is possible to positively assert your own beliefs without denigrating the beliefs of others.

Is it? Really?? Now we come to the crux of why I bothered to post on this thread at all. Remember the title? “Abortion And The BIBLE”. (Again - as if to prove and amplify my point, the Bible is capitalized to emphasize its authority.) It is in the efforts to bring those two things together - the intersection of abortion and the Bible - that is precisely what I find objectionable, in that such an abhorrently and transparently misogynist text - clearly written by men, about men, and for men - should be cited as some kind of moral authority to take a woman’s own bodily autonomy away. Those expressed beliefs - the backward misogynistic ones - I certainly am willing to denigrate! Guilty as charged!! Just as I’m willing to denigrate the beliefs of those who advocate racism, genocide, child abuse, genital mutilation, slavery and rape - ALL of which are sanctioned in “the bible”! In a sane world, everyone would denigrate those beliefs! Don’t you? And if you don’t, then why don’t you??

Of course, this charity and grace need not extend to Packers Fans.

?? Non sequitur. I see your winking face, but don’t get the private joke. Feel free to share the humor with some elaboration. I’d welcome a chuckle.

Whoa, big fellow! No need to run around with your hair on fire.
I never do.
YOU asserted that beliefs held by people who justified them using the Bible were actually undermined by Biblical quotes and presented one that did not address the topic of your thought process.

I was only pointing that out. I said NOTHING to indicate that my goal or even any thought that crossed my mind was intended to "...to rob women of their own bodily autonomy."
Point taken. It may not have crossed your mind. But my original post arguing about when human life begins was not even addressed to you - and it very much did address the topic of my thought process.

I happen to be absolutely astounded that the DNA created in the first single cell of a human being in the womb is identical to the DNA present in each cell on their body throughout their life until they ultimately die.

There are various varieties of cells, but only one, unique and individual, variety of DNA that are present in every human being. Astonishing!

More than 30 Trillion cells are living in any adult body at any particular moment. Through any person's life, cells die and are replaced and they all have the same identical, and apparently completely unique, DNA.

This is as true for the first single cell as it is for any of the cells that follow. I suppose that first cell is among those that die away and get replaced. That presents other interesting philosophical questions of identity, I suppose.

It's really very amazing and, for me, impossible to grasp. Like so many things, I don't have the ability to fully understand this. However, I CAN be in awe of the awesome majesty of the idea.
An interesting but entirely different and unrelated topic - perhaps for a different thread.

So what then is the natural result of reading the title The Holy Bible on the cover?? It immediately places undo credibility to the text that isn’t earned by the content. Without it, the entire opening cosmology - a 6 day creation myth - would garner as much serious consideration today as stories of Zeus on Mount Olympus, and the talking serpent story and exile from Eden would rank right up there with tales like Homer’s Odyssey. It is only under the imprimatur of “The Holy Bible” that any credibility is given the book at all, because the content offers no verifiable proof that it is the word of god. None whatsoever.

And why not? Is there any evidence that it is anything but exactly that? None that I’m aware of. In fact, after hundreds of years of trying to prove its veracity, nothing has even come close. The government of Israel once spent years, and millions of shekels, to put a team of noted archeologists into Sinai to look for any evidence that would confirm any part of the story of Moses and the exodus - and came up empty!

No. That’s also inaccurate. I only call attention to what worshipping such a deity really entails, in the hopes that its adherents might look into a mirror and admit to themselves exactly who and what they are “worshipping” - and all of that by the admissions of its own alleged author!

If you believe the Bible is the “word of god”, then god himself consents to slavery, and declares there is a “chosen people” - I.e. racism! God himself calls on Israel to commit genocide against another people. God himself claims to be vengeful. God himself claims to be jealous. God himself relegates women to be less than men - i.e. misogyny. God himself is punitive to the point of wiping out the entire planet, save a single family on a boat that, I guess, we’re expected to believe we must all be descendant from. Not my words - but “god’s words!” That litany of character flaws, and others, are - by god’s own admission - what a person who believes in biblical inerrancy must swallow - and keep from retching up!

When I point these things out, it isn’t the people who are, in my view, less. It is their beliefs that are less!

(Edited for length. Sorry)

If you don't like the word ridicule, you are free to replace it with whatever word you prefer. It sounds like ridicule when read even if it's not intended to be so when written.

I may be taking something out that you didn't put in. I hasten to add that I'm not offended. I also don't demand that you accept or reject anything simply because I do.

Regarding many things in the Old Testament, Good Life Lessons were presented. "Don't eat pork" could really have meant "try to avoid trichinosis". Kosher food prep might have been in the same line of thought.

However, that said, all cultures around the world and throughout history have had beliefs in superior or supreme beings. Interesting consistency in that. Does God have a speaking problem or do we have a hearing problem?

I happen to be a Christian. I have found that asking people to source their strongly held beliefs to the words of Christ is a good idea.

On various occasions, Christ demonstrated that the new direction was not in strict compliance with the old direction(s). "Cast the first stone" is an excellent example of both the new direction and the gentle new guidance given.

I've posted here before that I believe that Christ stopped by because His thoughts were not reflected exactly right in the Bible. Why else would an in-person visit be required?

The four Gospels, all were all written during the first century, by people with eye witness authority are interesting. They are written in the style used for First Century biographies.

Mathew and John were actually there. At some point, it seems reasonable that they looked at each other and said words to the effect of, "You know, this stuff is gold. Somebody ought to be writing it down".

Then, over the course of about 40 years, all of the disciples except one were brutally tortured and killed because they refused to say, "Yeah, I was only kidding. He wasn't the real deal".

They were crucified, beheaded, skinned alive, whipped to death and on and on. SOMETHING changed them from 12 guys, terrified and cowering in an attic to world famous evangelists.

I'm recently impressed that our astro physicists have "created" Dark Matter and Dark Energy. Without them, their physics just don't work, but we cannot see either, touch either or know either in any way. We only see what they do.

What else does that sound like?

Is it? Really?? Now we come to the crux of why I bothered to post on this thread at all. Remember the title? “Abortion And The BIBLE”. (Again - as if to prove and amplify my point, the Bible is capitalized to emphasize its authority.) It is in the efforts to bring those two things together - the intersection of abortion and the Bible - that is precisely what I find objectionable, in that such an abhorrently and transparently misogynist text - clearly written by men, about men, and for men - should be cited as some kind of moral authority to take a woman’s own bodily autonomy away. Those expressed beliefs - the backward misogynistic ones - I certainly am willing to denigrate! Guilty as charged!! Just as I’m willing to denigrate the beliefs of those who advocate racism, genocide, child abuse, genital mutilation, slavery and rape - ALL of which are sanctioned in “the bible”! In a sane world, everyone would denigrate those beliefs! Don’t you? And if you don’t, then why don’t you??

?? Non sequitur. I see your winking face, but don’t get the private joke. Feel free to share the humor with some elaboration. I’d welcome a chuckle.

Does the Bible say that abortion is either a good or a bad thing to do? I'm not sure.

I'm fairly certain that Christ did not address this topic area specifically, but I am certainly no authority on this. Is there such a passage?

Your opposition to the invocation of the Bible by people on this topic seems to indicate that you hold a bit of anger or at least indignation.

The laundry list of atrocities at the end of your post is oddly unrelated to abortion and also disconnected from what I feel the teachings of Christ to have been.

Using the Bible's definition(s) of the beginning of life in any case seems out of step with what we know to be factual today. People seem to like to play that game, though, so they do.

I am astonished by the simple and complex nature of life in general and in human life in specific as it is described and proven by our current levels of medicine and biology.

As soon as there is one human cell, the rest of the 30+ Trillion cells in an adult body will follow and EVERY ONE OF THEM, from that fist cell to the last, have EXACTLY the same, UNIQUE, DNA double helix.

From that single double helix in the original cell comes the variety of cells from skin to brain to blood to liver to muscle and on and on. They are all different and all programmed by the DNA within that original cell. Astonishing.

Obviously, life begins at that single cell. Societal interpretations to promote convenience and order aside, life begins with the first cell containing the DNA for whatever entity we are examining.

I never do.

Point taken. It may not have crossed your mind. But my original post arguing about when human life begins was not even addressed to you - and it very much did address the topic of my thought process.

An interesting but entirely different and unrelated topic - perhaps for a different thread.

My post, which is the one to which you responded, did not contain the ideas that you seem to find so reprehensible.

Using the Bible as a foundation for scientific hypothesis is not really a wise course of action.

The conflation of various topics intended to confuse the issue beyond any reasonable recall is what the Pro-Choicers, IMHO, seem to like to do.

The justifications based on rationalizations are so thick by the time a conclusion is reached that any "reasonableness" seems hard to find at the end of things.

Back
Top Bottom