• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A new world order? BRICS nations offer alternative to West

Who provided arms for Apartheid S Africa? Who provided arms for the liberation movements?

You may want to check yourself, friend.
Vladimir Putin's Russia didn't supply a damn thing, the USSR did and you don't LIVE IN the USSR because it ceased to exist.
Yes, the USA previously wanted to just do business and keep the S.A. apartheid dictatorship wealthy enough to send us more of their money.
It gets humorous when you attempt your ham-handed ploy of decorating ordinary Americans with the stench of supporting that idea.
WHEN AMERICAN PEOPEL (and people in the West in general) LEARNED how brutal South African apartheid was we were just coming off the victory of the Civil Rights movement here and we applied what we learned.

Artists United Against Apartheid

Artists United Against Apartheid was a 1985 protest group founded by activist and performer Steven Van Zandt and record producer Arthur Baker to protest against apartheid in South Africa.

I believe we have an enormous opportunity to take the B and I out of BRICS by forming direct alliances and deep partnerships. With Brazil it will take significant capital investment.

With Brazil AND most of South America in general, the United States is still more than a bit locked into the old 19th and early 20th Century plantation mentality.
In other words, from a business standpoint, we present as not even giving half a warm shit.
It's disgusting and the more ordinary Americans learn about it, the more disgusted they are.
But ordinary Americans have zero power to do much about it beyond refusing to enrich the US corporate plantation "Massas" who call the shots.

And...the fact is, ordinary Americans continue to BUY the narcotics produced by South American cartels, which cements this abusive relationship even more.
Ranting and raving about Venezuela is a sad joke. We punish ordinary Venezuelans and then turn on each other with vicious red-baiting, and then out the other side of our face we talk nicey nice to VZ dictators regardless if they are left or right. We don't care as long as the VZ OIL keeps flowing.
We do the same thing with Saudi Arabia.

I can really only speak for myself on a lot of this...I would like to see incentives that reward South American governments for making their nations more democratic.
Brazil backslides in part because too many wealthy American oligarchs are happiest when Brazil IS an authoritarian dictatorship.

Last edited:
Most of the world lives under authoritarian rule - that's just the world we live in.

And they* would like nothing better than to drag you and I under into that same authoritarian rule, because that would be very convenient for them.

(*The wealthy despots who bankroll that authoritarian power structure.)

And they* would like nothing better than to drag you and I under into that same authoritarian rule, because that would be very convenient for them.

(*The wealthy despots who bankroll that authoritarian power structure.)

I think it's more like they want to minimize foreign influence so that they don't have to preoccupy themselves with fighting dangerous ideas. The sad part is that America's rightward tilt, including the Capitol attack on January 6th, has fed right into that authoritarian propaganda. The CCP didn't have to do anything but show the chaos on that day and of course now with Trump in the headlines as the first former president ever prosecuted, he is the gift that keeps on giving.

You clearly avoid such discussions because it messes up your conception of good west vs evil Russia

It's been amusing to watch you act like a character in "Mister Twister".1680711834304.png

There are very few countries supporting Russia's war of aggression in Ukraine.

I think more are not following sanctions, and are working with China, which is also avoiding that.

Countries are not moving away from the US. Finland just joined NATO, and Russia's former allies are backing away from this debacle in Ukraine. And Russia has not been seriously "antagonized" by the US or NATO since the cold war. NATO was not a threat to Russia in the 21st century. Putin is just using that false narrative as an excuse to try to justify a war of conquest to further his pipe dream of rebuilding the Soviet Union. A justification, incidentally, that NO ONE outside of Russia is taking seriously.

France is now buying gas from China in yuans, and Japan buying oil from Russia, and even at a higher price. More countries from the Global South are doing similar:

NATO expansion started in the 1990s:

The claim was not made by Putin but by Goodman. Read the article shared carefully. See also Kennan:

Stop being an ignoramus.

The U.S. needs the global economy to continue using the dollar for trade, or else its borrowing and spending economy will fall apart:

And this would help the Chinese how, exactly? We're their biggest market.

...Which is "funny" because Russia IS the tip of the BRICS spear.
A political alternative "to the West"....
Hmmm...what kind of alternative is that? An alternative to democracy, I guess.
Well cheez whiz, I guess the world needs an altern...why in God's name does there need to be an alternative to democracy?

No, but seriously, I get it. They WANT an alternative to the oligarchs that own and run the West, and in point of fact that is what this boils down to in practical terms, like where the money meets money, rubber meets the road.
But the problem is, democracy gets stomped in the process.

And that IS a problem, if you happen to sort of ... I dunno ... like living IN a democracy, and maybe keeping it around for a while.
If you're an oligarch, your life really IS life in a democracy because your billions insulate you from the...ummm...shall we say, MINOR INCONVENIENCES that come along with the destruction of democracy.
If you're a billionaire oligarch you don't even FEEL that at all, right?

Yeah, a few billion, or even tens of billions, or a hundred billion, and I guess it doesn't even matter what kind of government it is because it doesn't affect you.

The U.S. is essentially controlled by Wall Street, and both parties working for it, and has been engaged in decades of mayhem:

Many of its client states included dictatorships. Even today, its major trading partners include Saudi Arabia and China.

Yup, and South Korea at least adds a little bit OF democracy to the mix, which is healthy.

South Korea industrialized because of military dictatorship, and even today remains authoritarian, together with many Asian countries.

With Brazil AND most of South America in general, the United States is still more than a bit locked into the old 19th and early 20th Century plantation mentality.
In other words, from a business standpoint, we present as not even giving half a warm shit.
It's disgusting and the more ordinary Americans learn about it, the more disgusted they are.
But ordinary Americans have zero power to do much about it beyond refusing to enrich the US corporate plantation "Massas" who call the shots.

And...the fact is, ordinary Americans continue to BUY the narcotics produced by South American cartels, which cements this abusive relationship even more.
Ranting and raving about Venezuela is a sad joke. We punish ordinary Venezuelans and then turn on each other with vicious red-baiting, and then out the other side of our face we talk nicey nice to VZ dictators regardless if they are left or right. We don't care as long as the VZ OIL keeps flowing.
We do the same thing with Saudi Arabia.

I can really only speak for myself on a lot of this...I would like to see incentives that reward South American governments for making their nations more democratic.
Brazil backslides in part because too many wealthy American oligarchs are happiest when Brazil IS an authoritarian dictatorship.

FWIW, most Americans can't even identify Ukraine on a map:

I think many of them can't even identify various U.S. states on a map.

They likely also don't know that most of their economy is controlled by a few rich who fund the government, both political parties, and the defense industry, plus provide credit to them:

saupload_public_and_private_debt_burden.jpg

That's an interesting way of saying they plan to turn developing nations into vassal states.

That's how neolibs imagine rival economic powers. The problem is that reality gets in the way. For example, I recall The Economist reporting over a decade ago 40 pct of Chinese manufacturing involved assembly, which is why other countries have been taking over:

Eventually, we will see not another U.S. but a multipolar world, especially given factors like the effects of late capitalism and population aging.

But for neolib-chicken hawks? It's still the nineteenth century for them.

I am not a neocon.

I want China to cease funding the murders in Russia. They way to do that is to make them poor.

If you're really not a neocon, you would call for that and for wanting the U.S. to cease funding countries like Ukraine, which it manipulated through regime change and NATO expansion, or at least insist that both the U.S. and China provide only humanitarian aid, and to everyone affected by the war.

But that will only make the rich angry, right?

That's why military aid to Ukraine must continue, and aid provided by the rich, from which the rich profit, and passed on as debt to the U.S. public.

And this would help the Chinese how, exactly? We're their biggest market.

BRICS refers to Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa, plus around forty emerging markets. Add most of the Global South.

More of them are moving away from the dollar. Even Japan and France are doing the same.

Does China have a muckraker or progressive movement? A free press with McClure’s Magazine? Democracy with a government accountable to the people? The rule of law? Separation of powers? No, it does not. China is a corrupt, one-man, one-party totalitarian dictatorship selling a vision more polished than any produced by a Madison Ave. advertising agency. China is presented as an emerging, avant-garde state advancing world peace and harmony exemplified by its fight against global warming. Meanwhile, it saturates the landscape with greenhouse gas-belching coal-fired power plants and peddles electric cars and buses to an unsuspecting public that spontaneously combust and put lives at risk. The Chinese people aren’t aware of it because there’s no Upton Sinclair or Ida Tarbell to tell them about it. Even if they were aware of a problem, who would they complain to? NHTSA? Consumer Reports? Congress? The people in any position to do something about it are the ones given stakes in these companies or receiving payoffs. Whatever incentive they have is to keep Beijing happily in the dark.

So what the public ends up with is smoke and mirrors, the Chinese version of a Potemkin village. The only thing that might change that would be another revolution, or possibly the threat of one.

Last edited:
If you're really not a neocon, you would call for that and for wanting the U.S. to cease funding countries like Ukraine, which it manipulated through regime change and NATO expansion, or at least insist that both the U.S. and China provide only humanitarian aid, and to everyone affected by the war.

But that will only make the rich angry, right?

Was Harry Truman a neocon? How about Vladimir Putin? Because, honestly, I can’t think of a better cheerleader for NATO or its expansion since Harry Truman than Comrade Z. He basically did what Donald Trump with all of his threats and chest pounding could not do: he got Western Europe, especially Germany, to eliminate its reliance on Russian energy, and he got them to actually increase their defense spending and NATO commitments. Vlad’s also been a boon to the U.S. LNG industry, as well as a fantastic necromancer, breathing new life and fangs into the alliance with the more than capable defenses of Sweden and Finland, more than doubling NATO’s frontier on Russia’s border. He really is Superman, able to accomplish in a single stroke feats no one else could. Even Switzerland, which has been neutral since 1815, looks like it wants to join the fun. What an idiot.

France is now buying gas from China in yuans, and Japan buying oil from Russia, and even at a higher price. More countries from the Global South are doing similar:

NATO expansion started in the 1990s:

The claim was not made by Putin but by Goodman. Read the article shared carefully. See also Kennan:

I'm sorry... Are you referencing yourself as a source to lend weight to your own premises? What if I don't consider you a credible authority on the matter?

Here is how you reference credible sources other than your own subjective opinions to back up your position:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stuart...ve-gone-from-bad-to-terrible/?sh=7d22440e74bc
https://www.wilsoncenter.org/blog-post/russias-economy-end-2022-deeper-troubles
https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia...raine-exposes-blunders-poor-training-28a14b1e
https://www.npr.org/2022/12/31/1145...-isolated-and-struggling-with-more-tumult-ahe
https://ecfr.eu/article/mob-unhappy-why-russia-is-unlikely-to-emerge-victorious-in-ukraine/
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2022/12/sanctions-russian-economy-effects/

That's how neolibs imagine rival economic powers
This is what peope with nothing smart to say and no arguments or evidence to present imagine is a good tactic.

The point of BRICS is more than just forming a new economic bloc. It's about creating vassal states whose own governments are undermined. They are intentionally creating debt for countries who cannot pay it back. And they aren't doing so out of kindness.

Back
Top Bottom