• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

5 Bicyclists Killed in Michigan After Pickup Truck Crashes Into Them

That makes sense on primarily residential streets, but bicycles do not belong on major thoroughfares with a 40mph speed limit as is the case here. They're obstructing traffic at best and, at worst, being struck by a vehicle is just a risk they'll have to accept without a partitioned lane.

They are not allowed on the interstates and some other roads, but for the most part they are not restricted to residential streets. Some of these guys are screaming along at 30+ mph, they cannot be allowed in the sidewalks, those are for pedestrians and bicyclists are not pedestrians.

On some level, being hit by a car is something they have to take as a possibility. I have to take the same when I ride my motorcycle. It doesn't mean it's open season on bicyclists. Pay attention when you are driving, slow down for bicyclists if necessary and pass when safe.

It's really not that tough.

I agree. They cause very dangerous scenarios around turns or during traffic. It's just not safe with them on the road.

It can be perfectly safe with them on the road so long as you pay attention and are patient.

I disagree 100%. Any driver who has trouble dealing with bicycles needs to have his license reviewed.

Any bicyclist in their spandex holding up traffic should have their testicles removed.

It can be perfectly safe with them on the road so long as you pay attention and are patient.

I should never have to be patient for some idiot going 30 miles an hour on a road that's 45 miles an hour. Especially if it's one lane.

I should never have to be patient for some idiot going 30 miles an hour on a road that's 45 miles an hour. Especially if it's one lane.

You should always have patience with your fellow man while driving a dangerous weapon such as a car.

Slow down, you'll still get to where you are going, pass when safe. The roads are not your personal playground. You don't even need a bike to be doing 30 in a 45, old people drive that slow all the time. Slow down, pass when safe. Everyone gets to where they are going safely.

Seriously, slowing down for a bike is going to cost you like 10 seconds on your travel time. Do you not think human life is worth 10 seconds?

Any bicyclist in their spandex holding up traffic should have their testicles removed.

As well with any road warrior looking to push them off the road or acting dangerously/violently against other motorists. ;)

You should always have patience with your fellow man while driving a dangerous weapon such as a car.

Slow down, you'll still get to where you are going, pass when safe. The roads are not your personal playground. You don't even need a bike to be doing 30 in a 45, old people drive that slow all the time. Slow down, pass when safe. Everyone gets to where they are going safely.

Seriously, slowing down for a bike is going to cost you like 10 seconds on your travel time. Do you not think human life is worth 10 seconds?

I owe those losers nothing. If they want to be out on the road with 2,000lbs missiles, then they better keep up. Especially since none of them obey the rules of the road.

Bike.jpg

As well with any road warrior looking to push them off the road or acting dangerously/violently against other motorists. ;)

I suspect it won't be long for the spandex bike crowd to demand their own bathrooms

Anyone who has ever encountered cyclists on Chuckanut Drive in WA has likely freaked out.

chuckanut_road.jpg

Or Deception Pass Bridge...

ride-video.jpg

I owe those losers nothing. If they want to be out on the road with 2,000lbs missiles, then they better keep up. Especially since none of them obey the rules of the road.

View attachment 67202428

While it is true that there are a certain sect of bicyclists that, like you, seem to believe they own the road; it is not cause for murder or attempted murder.

Slow down, pass when it's safe.

Then there's this insanity...

8203240461_eb21ef8102_c.jpg

Side streets people..side streets!

Anyone who has ever encountered cyclists on Chuckanut Drive in WA has likely freaked out.

chuckanut_road.jpg

Or Deception Pass Bridge...

ride-video.jpg

In Colorado, bicyclists are all over the place. They even are biking up the sides of mountains where the roads have no guardrails and it's just a drop off. Twisty canyon roads, there they are. You just need to be aware of them, and treat them as you would any other vehicle on the road.

There are certainly annoying bicyclists, the type that will purposefully ride 3 - 4 abreast to keep cars from passing. But most are courteous and aware of their position on the road and the rules of the road. Many are out for a good time, a nice ride, and are looking to get home in one piece; so they are cautious. Not all, but most.

Yeah, it can be annoying because often times they can be going slower than normal traffic. But it's an annoyance, nothing more than that. In the end, they are still humans and human life isn't worth acting recklessly or so full of one's self that they endanger another individual. Slowing down for bicyclists will not add that much time to your commute.

So slow down, pass when safe and everything will be fine. We don't have to behave like monkeys here, we can be mature humans.

What if the motorist wasn't at fault?

Then he shouldn't have fled the scene and left those kids to die. Either way, he is screwed, and he deserves it.

Then he shouldn't have fled the scene and left those kids to die. Either way, he is screwed, and he deserves it.

Yeah, but he wasn't at fault, fleeing the scene is be minor.

In Colorado, bicyclists are all over the place. They even are biking up the sides of mountains where the roads have no guardrails and it's just a drop off. Twisty canyon roads, there they are. You just need to be aware of them, and treat them as you would any other vehicle on the road.

There are certainly annoying bicyclists, the type that will purposefully ride 3 - 4 abreast to keep cars from passing. But most are courteous and aware of their position on the road and the rules of the road. Many are out for a good time, a nice ride, and are looking to get home in one piece; so they are cautious. Not all, but most.

Yeah, it can be annoying because often times they can be going slower than normal traffic. But it's an annoyance, nothing more than that. In the end, they are still humans and human life isn't worth acting recklessly or so full of one's self that they endanger another individual. Slowing down for bicyclists will not add that much time to your commute.

So slow down, pass when safe and everything will be fine. We don't have to behave like monkeys here, we can be mature humans.

Unless you're doing 55 mph and have 2 seconds to stop. Then the cyclist is **** out of luck.

Unless you're doing 55 mph and have 2 seconds to stop. Then the cyclist is **** out of luck.

There's no excuse for acting in a manner to threaten the safety of others around you.

Slow down, pass when it's safe.

Oh no, fleeing will get you strung up so to speak, pisses everyone off including sentencing judges.

Leaving people to die? That's as low as it gets.

I agree, but we still don't really know who's at fault here. The hand wringers automatically want to blame the driver, but we don't know.

What if the motorist wasn't at fault?

That will take all the fun out of us prejudging him.:thumbs:

Of course all of us prejudging someone without any facts does not make us prejudice. :Oopsie

I say we burn him at the stake.:lamo

Oh no, fleeing will get you strung up so to speak, pisses everyone off including sentencing judges.

Not necessarily. A buddy of mine killed an ol' not one night and didn't realize it. He heard about it on the news a couple days later and realized he was on that road, at the approximated time and reported to the police. Nothing happened to him. So, "fleeing the scene", isn't always cut-and-dried.

That will take all the fun out of us prejudging him.:thumbs:

Of course all of us prejudging someone without any facts does not make us prejudice. :Oopsie

I say we burn him at the stake.:lamo

Hell, just shoot the sumbitch...lol

In Texas, where I live, if you leave people dying when you flee the scene, you go to prison for a very long time.

Back
Top Bottom