• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

2016 Presidential Election night discussion [Read #1397]

upsideguy said:
Yesterday I challenged a couple of Trump supporters to accept Hillary Clinton as their president. Neither one told me they would and suggested I would not do the same. I posted the following in response as it well articulates how I feel this morning...

"I challenged you to accept the "Will of the People", but you told me you would not. Well, the shoe is on the other foot. So, I am here to tell you the I do accept the Will of the People to elect Donald Trump as my President. While I think we made a terrible choice as I don't believe he can do the job, I nonetheless wish him success.

I am certainly embarrassed that I was wrong in my assertion that there was no way he could be elected. Yesterday I did not want to be wrong on that, as I thought I was right on his incompetence. But, given I was wrong on the former, I now pray that I am wrong on the latter as well.

Good luck, Mr. President-Elect"

Generally speaking, I agree. My main hope is that, somehow or other, the next four years helps the people of this country realize that we have a lot in common. I guess we shall see.

Just thought of another bonus from last night's results - we'll no longer have to listen to the media and liberal talking heads bloviate about how President Clinton should nominate President Obama for the Supreme Court.

Generally speaking, I agree. My main hope is that, somehow or other, the next four years helps the people of this country realize that we have a lot in common. I guess we shall see.

Not much politically. This election reinforced that.

Just thought of another bonus from last night's results - we'll no longer have to listen to the media and liberal talking heads bloviate about how President Clinton should nominate President Obama for the Supreme Court.

My personal bonus is not having to see either Joker Face smile from Hillary or Tim Kaine.

For all we know Trump will. All Obama has to do is beg.

My personal bonus is not having to see either Joker Face smile from Hillary or Tim Kaine.

I certainly was not looking forward to 4 years of her canned speeches. Sadly, Trump is an even worse speaker. Just the worse.

Lol, far as I can tell, the right blamed Obama for his 8 years. Bush's 8 years, some of Clintons' stuff, and just about all of Bush and Reagans **** ups. So what tradition is that? Blame the non white guy? Actually that makes sense considering.

oh for god's sake, give it a rest, please. if there is one thing that the people who came out to vote for Trump were against as much as Clinton and the elite, it was this Identity politics stuff being thrown around like water. the OVERWHELMING majority of conservative voters do not blame Obama because he wasn't WHITE. we blame him for things we think he ****ed up on. end of story.

I don't blame her actually.... she was the party shoe-in 8 years ago before Barack became the favorite and Hillary was passed over by all the lefty elites, this time she ran against a man who's never held a political office in his life, and lost again. Frankly, were I in her shoes I'd record a grim thin lipped conciliatory 5 minutes
and retire to a never heard of island, never to be heard from again.
But that's me.... I'm sure the Clintons would not have that much humility or common sense.

I have expressed that very wish for them here on numerous occasions. They could have themselves a nice life far away from our government and politics. They should choose an island that doesn't have an extradition agreement with us.

Maybe not but choices have consequences.

Consequences are what drove them to vote against their Union roots.

The Professional pollsters, the Democrat party and Hillary supporters were living in a alternate universe this election cycle.

The results of the last two midterms and the results of last nights Presidential election were a repudiation of Obama's Presidency and his policies but, the Left and people that get paid to forecast election results ignored it.

i will put it as simple as i can:

its is illegal for government to give Citizen [A] a privilege and force Citizen to honor the governments privilege.

government creates privileges and they are suppose to honor the privileges they create, ...not the people

this HAS the effect of government creating rights for people, and government cannot create rights.

example: if government told Citizen he must serve Citizen [A], then government is essential creating a right for Citizen [A] which he can exercise over Citizen and government cannot do that without violating the right of Citizen

and government has been doing this for years!

OK, so then you admit that you think it's OK for blacks to be denied service at lunch counters, like they were in the 1950's.

I didn't support Trump, so I'm not celebrating today... But there is one thing I take from all this, that does restore at least some level faith in the American public.

Crime didn't pay.

I really believed Hillary had this one in the bag and the thought of the American people rewarding dishonesty, political corruption and criminal activity, was a most depressing, as well as embarrassing feeling. My hope now is, that Trump will take the clown suit off, put his presidential hat on and make some changes in the next 4 years that we can all be proud of.

God help us.

jonny5 said:
Not much politically. This election reinforced that.

I'm not so sure. I think a lot of folks share the basic Trumpian (is that a word?) sentiment that Washington elites don't listen to the electorate. What this should teach us is that neither side of the conversation is going away, so we're going to have to figure out how to work together. That said, I'm not making this a prediction. We may be back to politics as usual very shortly, in which case, I think there will start to be some very dark undercurrents set into the mainstream of the national conversation? How dark? Civil war dark...it's starting to look like the 1840's/50's in this country.

President -Elect Trump gave an acceptance speech that could have been written by Justin Trudeau. Infrastructure spending, and unifying the country.

President -Elect Trump gave an acceptance speech that could have been written by Justin Trudeau. Infrastructure spending, and unifying the country.

I caught that too. If he plans infrastructure spending alone as a way to grow the American economy than were screwed

If he does it while incentivizing private sector investment through tax policies then it might work

I certainly was not looking forward to 4 years of her canned speeches. Sadly, Trump is an even worse speaker. Just the worse.

I have to agree with that.

It seems his retention of the written word is pretty bad.

He has to be looking at the speech in order to say the word.

We will see if he gets any better.

There is a huge difference between a talker and a doer, so he will have to learn to be a talker a part of the time.

It's Idiocracy, but for reals yo.

I'm a conservative #nevertrumper who firmly believes Trump is a Liberal, but I plan to place the blame squarely on Trump for any Trump failures. Just like I didn't support the "blame Bush" meme that continues to this day. There's a grace period when the newbie is living with the last guy's stuff, but that should be short. Trump owns this now. He promised the moon and the stars. Now he needs to deliver.

It doesn't matter if Trump has been Ralph Nader wearing a mask all along. If he passes Conservative legislation and appoints conservative judges, he's effectively a Conservative. It's the Republican party that put him in power after he took on positions popular with Republican voters. And unless he's been lying...again...then he will continue to act on those principles.

It doesn't matter if Trump has been Ralph Nader wearing a mask all along. If he passes Conservative legislation and appoints conservative judges, he's effectively a Conservative. It's the Republican party that put him in power after he took on positions popular with Republican voters. And unless he's been lying...again...then he will continue to act on those principles.

Hard to see how Trump's not just a rubber stamp for the GOP Congress.

I caught that too. If he plans infrastructure spending alone as a way to grow the American economy than were screwed

If he does it while incentivizing private sector investment through tax policies then it might work

I've never had a problem with "big government" if the government gets involved with something worthwhile. I've always expressed my support for things like the national highway system and Hoover Dam. However the establishment support big government projects like "National Data Centers so that the NSA CAN spy on all Americans illegally" and "Build the world's largest embassy in the World: an embassy which now stands empty.

His last several speeches the past seven days were good and demonstrably effective.

Back
Top Bottom