• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

20.5 miles on the bike today with no damn carbs.

Grandpappy

America First Populist
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Anybody else? Bacon and chicken breast for breakfast this morning, that’s it. Figure on drinking a few Michelin lites as a reward. 2.6 grams per.

There's no point focusing on no carbs unless you're attempting keto. Which you shouldn't because pretty much everyone does it wrong and it can be quite dangerous even if done right, with a doctor's supervision.

Just aim to eliminate/minimize highly processed carbs, fructose/glucose ('sugar'), lower overall amount of carbs, and when you eat them focus on whole grain stuff at a minimum.

Compare nutrition labels for carbs, fiber, protein:

Conclusions you should reach: if you're going to make a pasta dish, use some mixture of the last two. At the very least, just avoid the first. The carbs you'll find in them are not the refined ones. They're what one would call "complex". And they have way more fiber/protein per. Lower carbs overall. Better in multiple ways.

Anybody else? Bacon and chicken breast for breakfast this morning, that’s it. Figure on drinking a few Michelin lites as a reward. 2.6 grams per.

Good for you! Animal protein is very dense. I'm not surprise that you were able to achieve those results.

But vegetable protein is better for you...

There's no point focusing on no carbs unless you're attempting keto. Which you shouldn't because pretty much everyone does it wrong and it can be quite dangerous even if done right, with a doctor's supervision.

Just aim to eliminate/minimize highly processed carbs, fructose/glucose ('sugar'), lower overall amount of carbs, and when you eat them focus on whole grain stuff at a minimum.

Conclusions you should reach: if you're going to make a pasta dish, use some mixture of the last two. At the very least, just avoid the first. The carbs you'll find in them are not the refined ones. They're what one would call "complex". And they have way more fiber/protein per. Lower carbs overall. Better in multiple ways.
I think that depends on the person. Keto works for some people who simply cannot lose weight on a traditional reduced calorie diet, or who gain weight on a typical diet relatively high in carbs, whether they're eating too many calories or not. Likely having to do with insulin resistance, and how elevated insulin blocks fat burning, etc...

I'm also not sure that ketosis is dangerous except for actual diabetics. I've been doing IF for months, and do occasional longer fasts of 2 or 3 days, and get into ketosis, and don't see how that's dangerous since we're designed as a species to survive periods of no food - that's why we have fat, and I've burned through more fat than I want to admit in those six months.... I don't otherwise attempt a keto diet, but have read nothing indicating I'm putting myself in any danger by fasting for a few days, and don't eat carbs to avoid it. If it happens, fine, if not also fine. I feel great during the fasts, except for a bit of hunger, and that's nothing but a bit uncomfortable for a bit, then that goes away.

The "keto diet" is possibly good for some people with uncontrolled epilepsy.

Do you ever see peer-reviewed scientific papers that warn about eating animal products? Yes, that's one of the main problems with the SAD.

Do you ever see peer-reviewed scientific papers that warn about eating fruits and vegetables, and other non-animal product foods? No.

Go ahead, stuff yourself with dead animals and dead animal byproducts.

If that doesn't work, here's something that will work: stop eating junk food, stop consuming sugar, and eat no more than 2000 calories per day. Stick with it and the excess fat on your body will go away on its own.

If you have trouble that remember the prisoners which leftists put in the gulag lived on around 900 calories per day doing hard labor in extremely cold weather.

I think that depends on the person. Keto works for some people who simply cannot lose weight on a traditional reduced calorie diet, or who gain weight on a typical diet relatively high in carbs, whether they're eating too many calories or not. Likely having to do with insulin resistance, and how elevated insulin blocks fat burning, etc...

I'm also not sure that ketosis is dangerous except for actual diabetics. I've been doing IF for months, and do occasional longer fasts of 2 or 3 days, and get into ketosis, and don't see how that's dangerous since we're designed as a species to survive periods of no food - that's why we have fat, and I've burned through more fat than I want to admit in those six months.... I don't otherwise attempt a keto diet, but have read nothing indicating I'm putting myself in any danger by fasting for a few days, and don't eat carbs to avoid it. If it happens, fine, if not also fine. I feel great during the fasts, except for a bit of hunger, and that's nothing but a bit uncomfortable for a bit, then that goes away.

From what I gather, it's rather easy to accidentally give oneself kidney stress/damage, digestive problems, nutrient deficiencies, blood sugar issues, decreased bone density, and more, but does indeed depend on the person. More specifically, how they go about it, what else they do, and whether the right markers are being medically monitored. That's if one does it right, but from I also gather most aren't following the guidelines strictly enough.

I'm not talking about intermittent fasting though. I'm talking about the "eat what you want as long as it isn't carbs!" thing, which tends to mean people eating steak and eggs until the thought disgusts them...

From what I gather, it's rather easy to accidentally give oneself kidney stress/damage, digestive problems, nutrient deficiencies, blood sugar issues, decreased bone density, and more, but does indeed depend on the person. More specifically, how they go about it, what else they do, and whether the right markers are being medically monitored. That's if one does it right, but from I also gather most aren't following the guidelines strictly enough.
I'm not all all sure that's true. I've read and listened to a bunch of keto and fasting information in the past six months, and just have seen nothing indicating those are inherently unhealthy or riskier than the 'typical' diet. We actually don't need any carbs at all to survive. We do need fat and protein, but e.g. eskimos and other native populations subsist almost entirely on fat and protein and are healthy on those diets.

There's some concern about blood lipids, but those are longer term issues, and it appears cholesterol levels are more impacted by sugar and refined carbs and the related inflammation than by how much fat we consume, and that cholesterol is by itself a really terrible predictor of heart issues, strokes, and related.
I'm not talking about intermittent fasting though. I'm talking about the "eat what you want as long as it isn't carbs!" thing, which tends to mean people eating steak and eggs until the thought disgusts them...
Right, but my point is someone fasting gets into ketosis, and we're actually designed to live off fat for very long periods if necessary and we have the fat stores there to burn. Those on keto diets just consume lots of fat that they eat each day, and someone fasting 'consumes' their body fat. It's why they think hunger really almost goes away a few days into an extended fast - the body has plenty of food, our stored fat, so gets used to 'eating' that fat instead of what we eat each day and so quits sending out those urgent pleas to eat, NOW!!!, i.e. hunger.

Too much protein is indeed hard on the kidneys and bones. A keto diet that emphasizes healthy fats (such as fish and fats from vegetables) is safe. Getting excited about ditching carbs in favor of bacon isn't the way to go.

Right, but my point is someone fasting gets into ketosis, and we're actually designed to live off fat for very long periods if necessary and we have the fat stores there to burn. Those on keto diets just consume lots of fat that they eat each day, and someone fasting 'consumes' their body fat. It's why they think hunger really almost goes away a few days into an extended fast - the body has plenty of food, our stored fat, so gets used to 'eating' that fat instead of what we eat each day and so quits sending out those urgent pleas to eat, NOW!!!, i.e. hunger.
The NHS recommends a VLCD (very low calorie diet) as the initial treatment for people with T2D. The diet consists of shakes and non-starch veggies for a total of about 800 calories per day. Information on the diet is here. The intervention has been shown to put T2D into remission.

The diet results in ketosis with the result being substantial and fast weight loss which improves insulin sensitivity.

Sorry "Michelob" lights. Damn spell checker. Anyway, my experience is if you keep it under 40 carbs a day, you'll lose weight. I try to follow the Atkins diet, which includes certain lower carb vegetables.

Carbs are for commies.

Congrats on the workout.

I hope you meant "drinking a few Michelob". Michelin makes tires. Good job anyway

We've been on a vegetarian diet for a few years now and also watch our carbs. Our energy level is up, our weight dropped, and my RA symptoms are such that I can ignore them.

Yep, total carbs are the Carbohydrates number on the nutrition label minus the Fiber number.

Let's just call the keto diet what it is: the 'do the most harm' diet, the 'I don't give a **** about animals or the environment' diet, and often it's probably the 'I just want to eat fast food and lose weight because keto is trendy McDiet.'

Awesome! What's your trick to saving your dairy-aire? Mine can't tolerate more than about 15 miles at a time - and that's with a good, soft seat.

Awesome! What's your trick to saving your dairy-aire? Mine can't tolerate more than about 15 miles at a time - and that's with a good, soft seat.
You have to find a saddle that works for you. Unfortunately, everybody's posterior is a bit different, so it's usually a trial and error thing. "soft" isn't always best. riding position on the bike is also a factor.

You have to find a saddle that works for you. Unfortunately, everybody's posterior is a bit different, so it's usually a trial and error thing. "soft" isn't always best. riding position on the bike is also a factor.
I used to ride a lot - a LOT when younger and rarely had any issues then. Now, as I'm older, it seems to be near impossible to find anything that works very well - and I've tried a lot. :(

Anyhoo - kudos for your ride and for your diet! Hope it really works out for you.

The NHS recommends a VLCD (very low calorie diet) as the initial treatment for people with T2D. The diet consists of shakes and non-starch veggies for a total of about 800 calories per day. Information on the diet is here. The intervention has been shown to put T2D into remission.

The diet results in ketosis with the result being substantial and fast weight loss which improves insulin sensitivity.
I tried to look it up but couldn't find out about fat, protein, etc. in the shakes, but if it works, that's great.

Let's just call the keto diet what it is: the 'do the most harm' diet, the 'I don't give a **** about animals or the environment' diet, and often it's probably the 'I just want to eat fast food and lose weight because keto is trendy McDiet.'
That's not really fair. Some of those on keto or nearly that diets are or were morbidly obese and it's the only thing that works for them to get the weight off. If the choice was 1) die of preventable disease, seeing your limbs hacked off, go blind, and die early of heart attack or cancer, or 2) eat more meat, fish, poultry, full fat dairy, eggs, nuts, avocado, healthy oils, and all the salad and above ground veggies you want (i.e. the keto diet) what would you suggest? And if you think other diets might work for the obese, show me the study showing success long term.

And fast food doesn't work for keto, unless all you eat at e.g. McD is the hamburger patty, and pretty much nothing else. I guess you could eat eggs and sausage, but why you'd buy it at a fast food place versus make it at home in 5 minutes is a mystery.

Yeah, I learned that one. I had a relatively soft seat that I hated, never did get used to it. A friend who's a big time cyclist recommended one that felt to me hard as a rock. It worked.... Took a couple weeks to adjust to it, but never did really have problems again after that. But if you look at the reviews of it, maybe 75-80% loved it, the other 20% HATED that saddle. I did get properly sized for that saddle, and that might have been the difference - tail bones hit in the spot designed for them to sit.

Back
Top Bottom