• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

20.5 miles on the bike today with no damn carbs.

I tried to look it up but couldn't find out about fat, protein, etc. in the shakes, but if it works, that's great.
The studies that led to this treatment are linked below. They include the makeup of the nutritional drinks (Optifast) and the results.

Direct year 1 results
Direct year 2 results
DROPLET

The first study was done by Newcastle University and involved a 600 calorie diet of supplements + 200 calories of non-starch veggies.
Newcastle Study

Extreme low-calorie diets, such as the 600 calorie diet studied by Newcastle University have been hailed as extremely effective in helping people with diabetes to control their blood glucose levels.

In some instances, reports of temporary diabetes cures have been reported from following an extreme low-calorie diet for a short period

What led to this research was a finding that people losing weight rapidly (for example by lap-band surgery) had a fast improvement in blood glucose control even before losing weight. The research showed that a VLCD diet triggered a 'reset' in insulin sensitivity very quickly and that the rapid weight loss was safe under medical supervision.

Anybody else? Bacon and chicken breast for breakfast this morning, that’s it. Figure on drinking a few Michelin lites as a reward. 2.6 grams per.
I don't see the problem with natural carbs (potatoes, rice, etc), especially if you're burning calories like you are. Carbs are definitely a problem if all you're doing is working in an office all day and eating them at night versus in the morning.

For me fitness is pretty simple:
* Walk - a lot. (10,000 steps a day is ideal); weight training is more important as you age
* Eat heavy, high caloric, protein filled foods in the AM - you need the energy.
* Get progressively lighter in the day (fruits, salads, etc)
* Eat quality stuff: greens, fruits, nuts, etc.

I don't see the problem with natural carbs (potatoes, rice, etc), especially if you're burning calories like you are. Carbs are definitely a problem if all you're doing is working in an office all day and eating them at night versus in the morning.

For me fitness is pretty simple:
* Walk - a lot. (10,000 steps a day is ideal); weight training is more important as you age
* Eat heavy, high caloric, protein filled foods in the AM - you need the energy.
* Get progressively lighter in the day (fruits, salads, etc)
* Eat quality stuff: greens, fruits, nuts, etc.
I've been doing IF for about 6 months now and almost never eat any breakfast, or anything until generally 3 or 4pm, often nothing till dinner, and we work out for an hour 4 mornings a week. I learned I don't 'need' to eat before hikes. I carry food, and have a snack but don't need the big meal I used to have before longish hikes. I have more 'energy' than when I did eat breakfast.

I know that varies from person to person and people need to do what works for them. Some of my friends NEVER skip breakfast and that's great for them. But it makes sense that we can have plenty of energy fasted, or else our ancestors when hungry and needing to kill/catch/gather food would have headed into the woods or fishing or whatever weak, with muddled heads... That's a bad adaptation to our survival needs.

The 'quality' foods part is what I believe the 95% solution. Avoid refined, processed garbage, including added sugar, and you're very likely to be healthy, especially when compared to any alternative. Eggs, cheese/dairy, meat, actual veggies or starches in their natural form, or any combo of whole foods is going to be FAR better than anything made by any food company that you have to check the box to see what's in that thing....

Back
Top Bottom