• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

18 Year Old Lives off of Ramen Noodles for 13 Years, Has health of 80 Year Old

Gathomas88

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Teen's Strange Ramen Addiction

ramen.jpg
Carters News AgencyRamen-style noodles, a staple in the pantry of broke college students, has been the mainstay of one teenager's diet for the past 13 years, according to an article in the New York Daily News.

Georgi Readman, 18, of the Isle of Wight, U.K., refuses to eat fruit and vegetables and exists solely on packaged noodle soup, a snack that often contains high amounts of fat, saturated fat, and sodium. One package typically boasts 400 calories and 20 grams of fat.

Readman, who is 5'3'' and 98 pounds, told the Daily News that she became hooked on the noodles when she was five-years-old and her mother still buys her packages by the dozens. She estimates eating 30 miles of noodles per year and the thought of eating anything else makes her sick.

“I hate the texture of fruit and vegetables," she said. “I can’t go to my friends' for dinner or go out for meals because I don’t want them to see me freak out if the side salad touches the stuff I eat. Mum goes to the supermarket and brings back as many packets as she can afford. I always fancy noodles and could easily eat two packets at once. I’ve even eaten them dry and uncooked before!”

Many children develop picky eating patterns after they turn one because their bodies naturally need less food and their taste buds change so they become more opinionated and selective about what they eat. Plus, at that age they're often on the go so it can be hard to get them to sit down for properly balanced meals. And although parents might give in to the demands of their children because it's easier than arguing about food, one recent study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that 78 percent of picky eating habits can be attributed to genetics (only 22 percent are caused by environmental factors).

could not be reached for comment but according to her doctors, she is malnourished and has the health of an 80 year old.

"That sounds like an accurate assessment," says Lisa Kaufman, a pediatrician at Village Pediatrics who has not treated Readman. "A diet of instant noodles has likely wreaked incredible amounts of havoc on her organs. The body—especially one that's still developing—needs protein, minerals, and nutrients to grow; that's just basic common sense. Without it, this girl has probably suffered stunted growth and IQ, osteoporosis, heart and kidney damage, and high blood pressure. Her lifespan has likely been shortened as well."

Kaufman adds, "Kids would eat ice cream every day if they could but it's the parent's responsibility to broaden their palates, introducing various foods and textures to them."

At 18 years old, Readman's eating habits are so ingrained that it would likely take a major mental and physical overhaul to improve her health. "In order to get off the noodles, she may need hospitalization and an education in nutrition," says Kaufman.

This should count as child abuse. She even looks unhealthy.

Last edited:
First I don't believe this story is completely true--I have trouble believing she would look like she does if that is truly all she has eaten since 5. That said, this sounds more like a eating disorder than a picky palate. The doctor quoted in the article likely isn't her doctor as her response seems more theoretical than an actual assessment based on an examination.

First I don't believe this story is completely true--I have trouble believing she would look like she does if that is truly all she has eaten since 5. That said, this sounds more like a eating disorder than a picky palate. The doctor quoted in the article likely isn't her doctor as her response seems more theoretical than an actual assessment based on an examination.

It might very well be a hoax. You'd think that she would have fallen ill with some kind of serious nutrional deficiency ages ago.

Ramen tends to be rather light on essential vitamins and minerals.

I could barely palate those things when that was what I could afford.

No way would I voluntarily eat that stuff. For 13 years much less.

I don't think that she looks unhealthy in the picture, since if she has only eaten Ramen noodles since she was 5 years old I would think she'd be obese, or dead, but yeah, that can't be healthy.

It might very well be a hoax. You'd think that she would have fallen ill with some kind of serious nutrional deficiency ages ago.

Ramen tends to be rather light on essential vitamins and minerals.

And all that sodium too! I don't like that kind of cheap processed food. Of course, I'm thinking of the Ramen that you get at the supermarket that comes in a plastic package with that packet of salt. :lol:

I don't think that she looks unhealthy in the picture, since if she has only eaten Ramen noodles since she was 5 I would think she'd be obese, or dead, but yeah, that can't be healthy.

Really? I would think she would be thin from eating only broth and noodles.

Really? I would think she would be thin from eating only broth and noodles.

If anything, she looks sort of haggard and drawn. Her skin, for instance, looks like it would belong to someone much older, and her coloring is very off.

Possibly, but not if she's only been eating the kind with all the sodium.

Well, honestly sodium doesn't cause weight gain. Her blood pressure is probably through the roof though! :lol:

If anything, she looks sort of haggard and drawn. Her skin, for instance, looks like it would belong to someone much older, and her coloring is very off.

I thought so too. I thought she looked a lot older than 18. She's probably very unhealthy. That's too bad that some people are just too stubborn to realize that they are destroying their bodies.

This article should be in Breaking News: Protein not required to survive.

This article should be in Breaking News: Protein not required to survive.

Well the broth is "chicken" or "beef" flavored. :mrgreen: Does that count?

Ok, so disregard my "obese" part and keep the "dead" part. :)

If she keeps it up, probably shortly, or she'll at least be a hurting unit by the time she's 30 and probably will look like she's 50 at least.

At 18 years old, Readman's eating habits are so ingrained that it would likely take a major mental and physical overhaul to improve her health. "In order to get off the noodles, she may need hospitalization and an education in nutrition," says Kaufman.

That's too stupid. Like no one would have ever said to her "hey, wtf?!"

That's too stupid. Like no one would have ever said to her "hey, wtf?!"

She's probably someone who's parents always gave into everything she wanted. Or maybe they just wanted to get away with feeding her as cheaply as possible?

She's probably someone who's parents always gave into everything she wanted. Or maybe they just wanted to get away with feeding her as cheaply as possible?

It's BS. And if it was true, nutritional education is NOT the problem.

It's BS. And if it was true, nutritional education is NOT the problem.

It probably is, because I don't see how someone could survive for so long on that stuff, although the article does say that she is malnourished. I've seen some anorexics though that you wouldn't think could live let alone walk, but they do live and walk . . . for now.

"Ramen is surprisingly nutritious for a noodle. One package delivers nearly a quarter of the USDA recommended daily riboflavin and niacin, and about one-third of your thiamine and folate. It also carries smaller, but significant, values of vitamins E, K and B6."

"One package of ramen noodles brings 7.9 g of protein to the table. That's 16 percent of your daily requirement."

http://www.livestrong.com/article/263692-ramen-noodle-nutrition-facts/

If she ate three packets of ramen per day and nothing else she would be protein deficient, protein being necessary to build and repair tissue. Supplement the ramen with some lean meat and a multivitamin and she might outlive most of us.

I have never had Ramen noodles. They just look blech.

I have never had Ramen noodles. They just look blech.

Ok, rich girl. This reminds me of a visitor to Kenya, a college kid...

I've never cooked anything before.
Don't ever tell anyone here that again.
Why?
Because you're obviously crazy rich, and that's not a good thing to advertise here.
Oh, ok. I won't say that again.

Back
Top Bottom