• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

1000s Of Cases But Zero Hospitalizations In Colleges: Good News But States Force Draconian Lockdowns

maybe, just maybe, with a tiny bit of thought, the answer lay at the feet of the high risk category..
are they not intelligent enough to safeguard themselves ? maybe stay home ?
One individual's health and well being is not a societal concern.

Actually, genius, it emphatically is a societal concern. Your economy is in the dirt in deep recession because, among other reasons, your libertarian morons refused to wear masks or keep a social distance. As a result of their arrogant stupidity millions got infected (society), and couldn't contribute to society, financially. And concerns everyone; including you.

This asshole would knock the lights out of any snowflake who tried to force me to wear a mask UNLESS it was a private business who have the right to set the rules they want to in order to not be sued by snowflakes.

Of course. You're a tough guy who probably scares the virus away.

What a jerk.

May I see your evidence of learning from draconian measures?

Read the sentence again. Or are you deliberately misunderstanding? Again.
In this sentence...
"We've learned from experience that "draconian measures" are the only way to keep cases under control."
... the draconian measures represents the thing learned, not the thing learned from. "Experience" is the thing learned from.
You're welcome.

I did. Now it's your turn to actually PROVE what you say.

I'm not into proving the sky is blue, either. It's clear from the record. If all you've been reading is codswallop from right wing rags, you may have bought the spin, but it's not based on evidence. The only way to stop the spread of an airborne virus is to stop people from breathing around each other, and that is done by keeping people home and requiring masks and social distancing and sanitizing like mad. Once the case numbers are low enough, contact tracing and testing can keep the numbers in check while they reopen.

Actually, genius, it emphatically is a societal concern. Your economy is in the dirt in deep recession because, among other reasons, your libertarian morons refused to wear masks or keep a social distance. As a result of their arrogant stupidity millions got infected (society), and couldn't contribute to society, financially. And concerns everyone; including you.

Actually it is NOT a societal problem; your additional commentary exhibits a considerable lacking of awareness of U.S. matters.

Oh dear god. Tell us something we don't know. I already stated that Covid-19 is very different from flu, and I also told you why we need a flu shot every year. IT'S BECAUSE THE VACCINE ONLY WORKS SHORT-TERM. Got it now?

and.......??

Read the sentence again. Or are you deliberately misunderstanding? Again.
In this sentence...
"We've learned from experience that "draconian measures" are the only way to keep cases under control."
... the draconian measures represents the thing learned, not the thing learned from. "Experience" is the thing learned from.
You're welcome.

I asked for EVIDENCE....not claims.

I'm not into proving the sky is blue, either. It's clear from the record. If all you've been reading is codswallop from right wing rags, you may have bought the spin, but it's not based on evidence. The only way to stop the spread of an airborne virus is to stop people from breathing around each other, and that is done by keeping people home and requiring masks and social distancing and sanitizing like mad. Once the case numbers are low enough, contact tracing and testing can keep the numbers in check while they reopen.

It is NOT clear. I need evidence and you have just parroted others.

maybe, just maybe, with a tiny bit of thought, the answer lay at the feet of the high risk category..

A pandemic isn't a societal concern. :lol:

I asked for EVIDENCE....not claims.

You asked for proof of your misunderstanding. Nobody else's fault if the meaning of a simple sentence gets past you so easily.

There is no cure for many disease. That doesn't mean that they can't be brought down to a level that we can live with. Instead of a one month or so serious lockdown we will be facing extended ruin for our economy for months if not years to come.

You have to understand that the US is the outlier in this matter. Most of the rest of the world is or has recovered to manageable levels. We lack leadership and the personal responsibility to deal with this problem

Stop making excuses.

I didnt make an excuse. Perhaps you should learn to read. Or economy is recovering just fine, no thanks to hysterical leftists. Of the 180,000 who have died from the virus in the US, less than 15,000 have been under the age of 55. Thats roughly the same number of people who have been shot in the city of Chicago over the past 5 years. You handle this virus by protecting those at risk and letting everyone else go about their lives. If you are frightened, hide under your bed.

You guy's always leave out the economic effects of this pandemic sticking around longer than it should have.

I didnt make an excuse. Perhaps you should learn to read. Or economy is recovering just fine, no thanks to hysterical leftists. Of the 180,000 who have died from the virus in the US, less than 15,000 have been under the age of 55. Thats roughly the same number of people who have been shot in the city of Chicago over the past 5 years. You handle this virus by protecting those at risk and letting everyone else go about their lives. If you are frightened, hide under your bed.

You are right! You must be a genius. We SHOULD cull the older people in this country or perhaps keep them locked up forever in their homes and let them die a lonely death. You know what? Lets start with your parents or grandparents. Lock'em up-or let them enter the public arena again and catch Covid 19 and die in a hospital. Lets put a face on it-starting with your friends and relatives.

What is wrong with too many conservatives here is that they are oblivious to the fact that we live in a society, a nation, of people where the actions of one person affect others every day. Conservatives are EXACTLY why we need laws that carry with them stiff penalties for noncompliance. Perhaps we should set up camps in the wilderness, fenced off with barb wire and without medical facilities for the dumbasses who think they can do whatever they want whenever they want to do it.

You guy's always leave out the economic effects of this pandemic sticking around longer than it should have.

hmmm, not sure where you are going .
If there can be a response or what topic...

The economy is not recovering just fine. Just wait until people have to pay their landlords or be evicted. The travel industry is screwed for many years to come. Many businesses and industries are going to be gone forever. Don't be fooled by what the stock market is doing. If this virus isn't under control soon the economy is gonna tank. This is why I tell people to suck it up now regarding C19 safety measures.

The economy is not recovering just fine. Just wait until people have to pay their landlords or be evicted. The travel industry is screwed for many years to come. Many businesses and industries are going to be gone forever. Don't be fooled by what the stock market is doing. If this virus isn't under control soon the economy is gonna tank. This is why I tell people to suck it up now regarding C19 safety measures.

What really has to happen is that the country needs to go into a near total lockdown, especially in the hot spots. Rural places that have little virus are exempt, but travel would be prohibited except for medical emergencies and infrastructure support such as law enforcement and maintaining phone lines and internet access. The shutdown only has to go on for four weeks-two virus cycles. Then the kids can go back to school safely and people can go back to work without fear, with appropriate safety precautions of course. Minor outbreaks would continue but should be manageable. Camps would be set up for those who do not want to comply, but no medical care would be provided there-just food and water. This needs to be done because we CANNOT wait for a vaccine that may or may not appear on a white horse to save the day.

The SAME CDC, I might add that claimed this virus remained for a long time on hard surfaces and the same CDC that said masks weren't needed.

Masks did really well in those four eastern states, didn't they?

You're still failing to grasp the economic damage you people are causing.

Regarding the CDC. This is a "novel" virus. New information is coming in everyday and they are changing how we proceed with C19. They made mistakes in the beginning but it's a stupid argument to say "I won't wear a mask because the CDC told me not to in the beginning". They are telling you now to wear a mask. Why do you think that is?

:lamo

You are right! You must be a genius. We SHOULD cull the older people in this country or perhaps keep them locked up forever in their homes and let them die a lonely death. You know what? Lets start with your parents or grandparents. Lock'em up-or let them enter the public arena again and catch Covid 19 and die in a hospital. Lets put a face on it-starting with your friends and relatives.

What is wrong with too many conservatives here is that they are oblivious to the fact that we live in a society, a nation, of people where the actions of one person affect others every day. Conservatives are EXACTLY why we need laws that carry with them stiff penalties for noncompliance. Perhaps we should set up camps in the wilderness, fenced off with barb wire and without medical facilities for the dumbasses who think they can do whatever they want whenever they want to do it.

Many peoples rights depend on the rights of others being abridged. Ironic isn't it?

That is a really amazing stat. I knew the deaths under 35 were almost nil and that under 65 was minimal. But, only 15 thousand under 55? That is really incredible. What is even more incredible is the feigned compassion by those who are in the group under 55 (most of the posters here) for those over 65.

You're still failing to grasp the economic damage you people are causing.

Regarding the CDC. This is a "novel" virus. New information is coming in everyday and they are changing how we proceed with C19. They made mistakes in the beginning but it's a stupid argument to say "I won't wear a mask because the CDC told me not to in the beginning". They are telling you now to wear a mask. Why do you think that is?

Tell that to Sweden and Manaus who did NOT die and as all those in Conn Mass, New York and New Jersey who wore masks and DID die. I'm sure the dead in those areas who wore masks will appreciate the insight

For data on what happens to younger adults who are hospitalized, that data was published in JAMA:

Clinical Outcomes in Young US Adults Hospitalized With COVID-19 | Critical Care Medicine | JAMA Internal Medicine | JAMA Network

They found, out of 3222 patients admitted to US hospitals:

Young adults age 18 to 34 years hospitalized with COVID-19 experienced substantial rates of adverse outcomes: 21% required intensive care, 10% required mechanical ventilation, and 2.7% died. This in-hospital mortality rate is lower than that reported for older adults with COVID-19, but approximately double that of young adults with acute myocardial infarction.4 Morbid obesity, hypertension, and diabetes were common and associated with greater risks of adverse events. Young adults with more than 1 of these conditions faced risks comparable with those observed in middle-aged adults without them.

Sounds bad to me.

Back
Top Bottom