• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

‘Dora the Explorer’ Under Fire After Trump Surrogate Rips Tim Kaine for

Why does it matter when a politician speaks in another language, especially when the message is trying to be aimed at a group that primarily speaks Spanish? I can understand wanting a common language but there is no reason why you cannot have more than one, and people should be not shamed for speaking another language.

Because this is America not Mexico.. And people in America very well should be ashamed if they cannot speak decent English..

Because we've seen the xenophobia expressed over and over by the right.

I think that's largely misunderstood. I can only speak from conversations I've had with people on the right. I think there is some valid concerns that surround illegal immigration problem in this country and our gov seems to be putting very little effort into fixing the problem.

I'm not really bothered by the multi language speech but I can understand how it can be perceived as a welcoming gesture to people who are not suppose to be here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, and Texas is better by a mile (not a kilometer).

I've been to Texas twice. If I never go again I won't be heartbroken. Never seen such a backward and poverty stricken state -- at least the areas I was in. The weather there sucked too. Either severe drought and scorching heat or severe flooding and even blizzards in the winter. No in between. You can have it.

And then there are those massive tornadoes.

Last edited:
Ever been to Quebec? Know all this first hand? I thought so.

I have been there about ten times. The ice hotel and Winter carnival are interesting. Quebec provincial route 289 is more interesting than taking the two ferries through Western Newfoundland to get to Labrador. Canada is great is you're a tourist and a really good off-roading destination, but if you show an interest in making a living there, the math is plain depressing.

By the way, learning French is just not a good investment. Spanish give you access to most of Latin America. Portuguese gives you access to Brazil and Macau. Japanese and Chinese gives you access to huge labor markets. I love the way Brazil is dealing with non-Francophone discrimination, French Guiana is being flooded with illegal Brazilians. It won't be too long before French Guiana is majority Portuguese speaking. I have a cousin by marriage that works for the Kourou space station as a tour guide. She told me she would get fired for explaining things in Portuguese and to save any questions I had until after the tour.

Who gives a **** about Latin America? We don't really trade with them, we have no need to, and probably never will. I see you are just goign to forget about Europe and Africa which has a large amount of French speakers, including Eastern Europe where it is a popular second language and we actually trade with them. It is also much more useful for me and other Canadians. Of course French Guiana is going to promote the use of French, it is literally part of France.

Because this is America not Mexico.. And people in America very well should be ashamed if they cannot speak decent English..

And that is why Trump will lose. It's not smart to disenfranchise a voting block you need to win. It is brilliant to include them any way you can including speaking their native language.

That said the hispanics after the first generation speak English just fine. That are by far assimilating the fastest of any ethic group that had come to this country. The Germans i.r. resisted strongly and even had their own German speaking towns. They even wanted to carve up part of Texas as their own country.

I've been to Texas twice. If I never go again I won't be heartbroken. Never seen such a backward and poverty stricken state -- at least the areas I was in. The weather there sucked too. Either severe drought and scorching heat or severe flooding and even blizzards in the winter. No in between. You can have it.

I guess you don't like earning six figures and like paying a State Income Tax.

Frisco, Texas City Information - ePodunk

Median household income
Local
$79,149
National
$41,994
Source: 2000 census, U.S. Census Bureau

More recent data:

Frisco, Texas Economy

Income Taxes 0.00%
Income per Cap. $43,073
Household Income $108,428
Family Median Income $116,764

I have been there about ten times. The ice hotel and Winter carnival are interesting. Quebec provincial route 289 is more interesting than taking the two ferries through Western Newfoundland to get to Labrador. Canada is great is you're a tourist and a really good off-roading destination, but if you show an interest in making a living there, the math is plain depressing.

Then learn French. Big deal. Learning a language isn't that hard if you put your mind to it. It's also fun.

I guess you don't like earning six figures and like paying a State Income Tax.

Frisco, Texas City Information - ePodunk

Median household income
Local
$79,149
National
$41,994
Source: 2000 census, U.S. Census Bureau

More recent data:

Frisco, Texas Economy

Income Taxes 0.00% 4.72%
Income per Cap. $43,073 $28,051
Household Income $108,428 $53,046
Family Median Income $116,764 $64,585

What about the rest of Texas?

[h=1]‘Dora the Explorer’ Under Fire After Trump Surrogate Rips Tim Kaine for Speaking Spanish[/h]

Yes, English. Good English. Great English. English a nine year old can understand. The best English. You can count on it. You can take it to the bank. Let me tell you.

It's crazy election time. Kaine is being attacked because he's Clinton's running mate. If Pence so much as ordered a gordita at Taco Bell, the same people would be cheering Trump's outreach to the Hispanic community.

America is also a country of immigrants. If you are trying to appeal to a primarily Spanish-speaking demographic you might want to try speaking in Spanish.

Well the cost of living in Toronto has gotten rather out of control recently, due to out of control buying by worthless foreigners. Montreal is actually a pretty cheap place to live, the cost of living is rather low compared to other cities.

So why are you not ashamed? English received pronunciation English speakers laugh at your hick dialects, much as the French patronise the Quebeckers, and the Spanish disdain Mexican for not speaking properly.

America is also a country of immigrants. If you are trying to appeal to a primarily Spanish-speaking demographic you might want to try speaking in Spanish.

I think Trump is in danger of not carrying Texas. Trump is threatening to set up a super PAC to defeat CRUZ, I repeat CRUZ. Not Smith, not Jones, but CRUZ. There are a lot of very conservative Texicans in this state. Many of them think of Trump as a racist.

Why does it matter when a politician speaks in another language, especially when the message is trying to be aimed at a group that primarily speaks Spanish? I can understand wanting a common language but there is no reason why you cannot have more than one, and people should be not shamed for speaking another language.

Because the only group that primarily speaks Spanish here are illegal aliens.

Because the only group that primarily speaks Spanish here are illegal aliens.

And legal immigrants from Spanish speaking countries which is your largest source of immigrants and new citizens right now.

No, but they should be shamed for coming to this country and never bothering to learn our language. We speak English, you learn English so you can function in our nation. It's even worse when they broke the law to get here, and THEN choose not to learn our language. What's being done is pandering to them by speaking their language, because they never bother to learn English, to get the votes of people that shouldn't even be allowed to vote. It's disgraceful.

No, but they should be shamed for coming to this country and never bothering to learn our language. We speak English, you learn English so you can function in our nation. It's even worse when they broke the law to get here, and THEN choose not to learn our language. What's being done is pandering to them by speaking their language, because they never bother to learn English, to get the votes of people that shouldn't even be allowed to vote. It's disgraceful.

No matter what their ability to speak English is, it will always be more effective to speak Spanish to them, it creates more of a connection which is exactly what politician wants. It is the same reason Romney created that one French language ad. It shows you care about them and their heritage. You cannot change someone's mother tongue.

[h=1]‘Dora the Explorer’ Under Fire After Trump Surrogate Rips Tim Kaine for Speaking Spanish[/h]

Yes, English. Good English. Great English. English a nine year old can understand. The best English. You can count on it. You can take it to the bank. Let me tell you.

Like I said yesterday - both sides are always saying stupid **** to back up their dumb views.

More people should come to the middle - where catering to the spewage of the two main parties isn't how we flow.

No matter what their ability to speak English is, it will always be more effective to speak Spanish to them, it creates more of a connection which is exactly what politician wants. It is the same reason Romney created that one French language ad. It shows you care about them and their heritage. You cannot change someone's mother tongue.

That's not always true. It can show that you consider them too stupid to function in the English language. Many Texicans thoroughly resent it.

What they were doing was pandering to illegals by speaking the only language they know. Pandering to a group of people who are not American citizens. People who come here legally and intend to actually stay here learn our language. I'm willing to bet you already know this, and you're defending them just for show.

What they were doing was pandering to illegals by speaking the only language they know. Pandering to a group of people who are not American citizens. People who come here legally and intend to actually stay here learn our language. I'm willing to bet you already know this, and you're defending them just for show.

Well, they are voters, after all.

They are pandering to the newest group of immigrants and citizens, it is also very possible that even those born in the US speak Spanish as a mother tongue but speak English fluently. Communicating with someone in their mother tongue will always create a stronger connection. Take my friend for example, he was born in the UK and lived there is whole life but to French parents so his mother tongue is French.

Back
Top Bottom