• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

‘Dora the Explorer’ Under Fire After Trump Surrogate Rips Tim Kaine for

That's not always true. It can show that you consider them too stupid to function in the English language. Many Texicans thoroughly resent it.

That is truly despicable, you force people to be ashamed of who they are. I doubt that is true for most Spanish speakers however.

They are pandering to the newest group of immigrants and citizens, it is also very possible that even those born in the US speak Spanish as a mother tongue but speak English fluently. Communicating with someone in their mother tongue will always create a stronger connection. Take my friend for example, he was born in the UK and lived there is whole life but to French parents so his mother tongue is French.
Not the newest group of immigrants, illegals specifically. Nobody else is speaking in Spanish to reach a group of people of another ethnicity. Speaking a different language just to reach a small percentage of people who will understand you otherwise is pointless.

That is truly despicable, you force people to be ashamed of who they are. I doubt that is true for most Spanish speakers however.

Ashamed of being intelligent? There are ways to show Mexican pride without lowering your head and saying "No Senor, I no speak Ingleesh".

Not the newest group of immigrants, illegals specifically. Nobody else is speaking in Spanish to reach a group of people of another ethnicity. Speaking a different language just to reach a small percentage of people who will understand you otherwise is pointless.

Nope, Mexicans and other people form Latin america are the latest wave of immigrants and new citizens to the US. They are fastest growing demographic in the US. Why do you think all Mexicans are illegals?

Ashamed of being intelligent? There are ways to show Mexican pride without lowering your head and saying "No Senor, I no speak Ingleesh".

Why do you think Spanish is only for people of low intelligence? It is harder and harder to learn a language the older you get. They are not stupid it is just hard. There is nothing wrong with speaking Spanish if it is your first goddamn language. You cannot change someone's mother tongue.

Nope, Mexicans and other people form Latin america are the latest wave of immigrants and new citizens to the US. They are fastest growing demographic in the US. Why do you think all Mexicans are illegals?
Show me one part of any of my posts where I said that all Mexicans are illegals. Do it.

I get why it's objectionable to some but it's not pointless. It personalizes the speaker with his audience. It's basically a parlor trick tactic which ironically is one of their big complaints about trump from the left. They liken him to a carnival barker and than celebrate it when it comes from Kane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You assume hat all Spanish speakers are illegal.
Point out one post I made where I made that claim. Do it. You may be able to put words in the mouths of other people on this forum, but that won't work with me. No, I assume people who don't learn English are illegals. I don't care what you speak as long as you know the English language, as that's the language of this country. If someone isn't learning English, they aren't intending to stay here, or they're too lazy, and nobody should bend backward for them so they can be understood. The Democrat party has been advocating granting legal status to illegals, which further validates the idea they're targeting them by speaking their language.

Point out one post I made where I made that claim. Do it. You may be able to put words in the mouths of other people on this forum, but that won't work with me. No, I assume people who don't learn English are illegals. I don't care what you speak as long as you know the English language, as that's the language of this country. If someone isn't learning English, they aren't intending to stay here, or they're too lazy, and nobody should bend backward for them so they can be understood. The Democrat party has been advocating granting legal status to illegals, which further validates the idea they're targeting them by speaking their language.

Not the newest group of immigrants, illegals specifically. Nobody else is speaking in Spanish to reach a group of people of another ethnicity.
Post #52

If you actually bother to read the post, I'm telling you who she's targeting, not that all people who can speak Spanish are illegals. You've now gone from the debate topic to trying to put words in my mouth in order to avoid a debate.

While i do believe that people who come hete should learm our native language and i do not believe the gov os under any obligation to make concessions for people who do not.

I think your being unfair to many by lumping them all into that group that simply refuse to conform. I interact with many non english speaking people and while its frustrating trying to communicate i find once you get past the communication barrier most of them are very nice.

Some of my nicest customers need their children to be an interuptor between us. I think some unferstanding is in order. Many dont refuse to learn the language, it just takes time.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

If you actually bother to read the post, I'm telling you who she's targeting, not that all people who can speak Spanish are illegals. You've now gone from the debate topic to trying to put words in my mouth in order to avoid a debate.

You said it yourself, I gave you reasons why they would want to address this very large and politically active legal immigrant demographic in Spanish but you ignored that and instead said that they would only speak to illegals in Spanish, a group that cannot vote. Legal immigrants speak Spanish, you cannot change that fact, and no matter their grasp of English addressing them in Spanish will create a much better connection.

You said it yourself, I gave you reasons why they would want to address this very large and politically active legal immigrant demographic in Spanish but you ignored that and instead said that they would only speak to illegals in Spanish, a group that cannot vote. Legal immigrants speak Spanish, you cannot change that fact, and no matter their grasp of English addressing them in Spanish will create a much better connection.
Yes, legal immigrants speak Spanish, but not ONLY Spanish. It's not like they're speaking in every other language to reach people who originated from countries that use those languages, instead they're speaking in Spanish, the language of the country right on our border, where most of our illegals are coming from, who only speak Spanish. What you're doing is making excuses for them targeting illegals, not giving reasons they'd be doing otherwise.

Dems show Illegal Immigrants which States they can vote in
Illegals can vote, it's just not legal. Not that they care, they already illegally jumped the border.

Yes, legal immigrants speak Spanish, but not ONLY Spanish. It's not like they're speaking in every other language to reach people who originated from countries that use those languages, instead they're speaking in Spanish, the language of the country right on our border, where most of our illegals are coming from, who only speak Spanish. What you're doing is making excuses for them targeting illegals, not giving reasons they'd be doing otherwise.

Illegals can vote, it's just not legal. Not that they care, they already illegally jumped the border.

Like I said before, it creates a much better connection when you talk to people in their mother tongue. The reason they probably do not do that with other ethnicities is that for the most part they are not recent immigrants and/or already know who they are voting for. Whereas right now both parties are trying to court the Hispanic population which has a lot of voting power.

Like I said before, it creates a much better connection when you talk to people in their mother tongue. The reason they probably do not do that with other ethnicities is that for the most part they are not recent immigrants and/or already know who they are voting for. Whereas right now both parties are trying to court the Hispanic population which has a lot of voting power.
They do it for latinos because they are currently the priority miniority with the sjw crowd. Politicians do it bevause yes it helps them establish a connection but it also gives them street cred with the SJWs. Its not some great magnamimous gesture nor is it the crime of the century. Its a welcoming act that score political points with their base. People on both sides are reading way too much into it.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Actually, I'm not sure why I'm debating that it's one or the other, they can easily achieve both this way. So, they're trying to get the illegal vote, and 'new immigrants'. Just mostly the first one~

Not all monolingual Spanish speakers are illegal, and not all illegals are monolingual. You can't tell someone's immigration status by the language that they speak or don't speak.

Moreover, fluency in Spanish does not mean lack of ability in English. People who speak their native language well are much more able to learn another language than are people who don't speak their native language well.

Further, there is nothing un American or pro illegal about speaking Spanish. That's just absurd.

Not all monolingual Spanish speakers are illegal, and not all illegals are monolingual. You can't tell someone's immigration status by the language that they speak or don't speak.

Moreover, fluency in Spanish does not mean lack of ability in English. People who speak their native language well are much more able to learn another language than are people who don't speak their native language well.

Further, there is nothing un American or pro illegal about speaking Spanish. That's just absurd.
I never claimed there was anything wrong with speaking Spanish, I only said that they should know English if they're going to live here. I also never said that fluency in Spanish means you're bad at English. Making a lot of assumptions here.

There's nothing wrong with what Kaine did. Both English and Spanish versions of the same text were said. Get over it.

There is nothing to get over.

He spoke in a language that many did not understand. Seems pandering to a specific group to me.

Why does it matter when a politician speaks in another language, especially when the message is trying to be aimed at a group that primarily speaks Spanish? I can understand wanting a common language but there is no reason why you cannot have more than one, and people should be not shamed for speaking another language.

Where did I say anything about speaking multiple languages is bad.
Your post does not address what I was responding to with the blanket statement of "Why are Americans so afraid of other languages".

When I visited Germany, I did not expect the citizens their to speak English. I learned enough to communicate. While the US has no official language, English has been the primary language for a long time. Seems immigrants wanting to come here would have the common courtesy to learn English.

Why does it matter when a politician speaks in another language, especially when the message is trying to be aimed at a group that primarily speaks Spanish? I can understand wanting a common language but there is no reason why you cannot have more than one, and people should be not shamed for speaking another language.

We don't have more than one common language and many Americans have no desire to learn another language. Should they learn another language? Well, as someone that speaks English, Spanish, and French I would say that the only time it really comes in handy is when you're dealing with language barriers. Otherwise, it's pointless to know more than one language as you pretty much always use English.

Anyway, when you're moving to another country you should take the necessary steps beforehand to be able to communicate with the population. The idea that other people have to adjust their life to you is without merit.

Back
Top Bottom