• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘A Match Into a Can of Gasoline’: Measles Outbreak Now an Emergency in Washington State

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
From the NY Times:

SEATTLE — Measles, declared eliminated as a major public health threat in the United States almost 20 years ago, has re-emerged this winter in the Pacific Northwest and other states where parents have relatively broad leeway over whether to vaccinate their children.

Seventy-nine cases of measles have been reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention since the start of this year. Fifty cases of the highly contagious disease were in Washington State. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/06/us/measles-outbreak.html

Other states with measles outbreaks: New York, New Jersey, Texas, California, Georgia, Illinois, Connecticut, and Colorado. https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/04/health/washington-measles-outbreak/index.html

Measles is very contagious, so, not surprisingly, health officials are urging vaccinations.

TV news mentioned that of the 50 cases, a portion of them had been vaccinated. If true, that suggests that the measles vaccine may be about as effective as the flu vaccine.

Anyway, it's a mess.

Washington is a mandatory vaccine state, too.

From the NY Times:

SEATTLE — Measles, declared eliminated as a major public health threat in the United States almost 20 years ago, has re-emerged this winter in the Pacific Northwest and other states where parents have relatively broad leeway over whether to vaccinate their children.

Seventy-nine cases of measles have been reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention since the start of this year. Fifty cases of the highly contagious disease were in Washington State. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/06/us/measles-outbreak.html

Other states with measles outbreaks: New York, New Jersey, Texas, California, Georgia, Illinois, Connecticut, and Colorado. https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/04/health/washington-measles-outbreak/index.html

Measles is very contagious, so, not surprisingly, health officials are urging vaccinations.

The area is a hot bed of anti-vaxer parents.
Sadly, their stupidity has been rewarded with the outbreak.

It's time for these parents to do serious jail time.

Hard to justify the use of the word "mandatory" when "I'd rather not" is reason enough for an exemption...

That isn't an option in Washington.

Washington is a mandatory vaccine state, too.

You are misinformed.

From the following:

The Washington Post: Washington state measles outbreak has potential to go very big, very quickly

Libertarian-leaning lawmakers, meanwhile, have bowed to public pressure to relax state laws to exempt virtually any child from state vaccination requirements whose parents object. Three states allow only medical exemptions; most others also permit religious exemptions. And 17, including Washington, Oregon and Idaho, allow what they call “philosophical” exemptions, meaning virtually anyone can opt out of the requirements.

From the NY Times:

If your child gets this disease and suffers lasting effects it is your fault.

The area is a hot bed of anti-vaxer parents.
Sadly, their stupidity has been rewarded with the outbreak.
It's time for these parents to do serious jail time.

Anti-science people suck.

If both vaccinated and unvaccinated people are getting them how do you know that it's the people not getting the vaccine that are the ones spreading it?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Whats interesting is a larger than normal number of those that got measles, had been vaccinated. Watched a news report last week about this and the CDC is looking into various things. One that if some of these people were over 18 then a single dose might not be enough and everybody might need a booster dose later in life. Secondly that there is a chance it has mutated but they dont think this is true as of yet. Third that while rare, there is a 3% failure rate with the MMR vaccine and its possible these people's bodies just rejected the vaccine. Its certainly something worth investigating. I also have read where many of our vaccines are made of components nowadays that could potentially reduce their effectiveness. This happened with canine vaccines a decade ago when the Chinese provided a component of the bordetella vaccine.

restrict travel out of outbreak areas. quarantines will wake up a lot of anti-vax idiots.

restrict travel out of outbreak areas. quarantines will wake up a lot of anti-vax idiots.

Europe, in particular Italy, is becoming chocked full of anti vaxxers. The youth over there are convinced they arent "natural and pure" and are now not vaccinating. We are going to see this more and more.

This article is stunning..

In the past decade, measles-vaccination rates in some European countries have often fallen below those in parts of Africa. Italy, France and Serbia, for example, have lower child-vaccinations rates than Burundi, Rwanda and Senegal. More than 40% of French people believe that vaccines are unsafe. To make matters worse, Italy recently has made it easier for parents to skip vaccinating their kids. The results of all this are entirely predictable. Right now, Europe is fighting a measles outbreak that has infected more than 41,000 people and killed 37.

https://www.acsh.org/news/2018/08/28/french-are-scared-vaccines-measles-ravages-europe-13364

Europe, in particular Italy, is becoming chocked full of anti vaxxers. The youth over there are convinced they arent "natural and pure" and are now not vaccinating. We are going to see this more and more.

This article is stunning..

In the past decade, measles-vaccination rates in some European countries have often fallen below those in parts of Africa. Italy, France and Serbia, for example, have lower child-vaccinations rates than Burundi, Rwanda and Senegal. More than 40% of French people believe that vaccines are unsafe. To make matters worse, Italy recently has made it easier for parents to skip vaccinating their kids. The results of all this are entirely predictable. Right now, Europe is fighting a measles outbreak that has infected more than 41,000 people and killed 37.

https://www.acsh.org/news/2018/08/28/french-are-scared-vaccines-measles-ravages-europe-13364

sounds like quarantines are a great idea. want to be an anti-vaxer? cool. your kids can't attend public or private school, and you can't travel out of your immediate area.

do that, and watch the anti-vax movement shrivel into obscurity.

Whats interesting is a larger than normal number of those that got measles, had been vaccinated. Watched a news report last week about this and the CDC is looking into various things. One that if some of these people were over 18 then a single dose might not be enough and everybody might need a booster dose later in life. Secondly that there is a chance it has mutated but they dont think this is true as of yet. Third that while rare, there is a 3% failure rate with the MMR vaccine and its possible these people's bodies just rejected the vaccine. Its certainly something worth investigating. I also have read where many of our vaccines are made of components nowadays that could potentially reduce their effectiveness. This happened with canine vaccines a decade ago when the Chinese provided a component of the bordetella vaccine.

Actually, the Washing post article I read said most of the measles infected were children under 10 that had not been vaccinated.

To date, at least 55 people in Washington and neighboring Oregon have gotten sick with the virus, with new cases tallied almost daily. All but five are in Clark County. King County, which includes Seattle, has one case; Multnomah County in Oregon, which includes Portland, has four, including three cases reported Wednesday. Most of those infected are unvaccinated children under 10, health officials said.

sounds like quarantines are a great idea. want to be an anti-vaxer? cool. your kids can't attend public or private school, and you can't travel out of your immediate area.

do that, and watch the anti-vax movement shrivel into obscurity.

Agree but how do you enforce that? I have no certificate that proves I have been vaccinated. How would airlines go about this? Countries?

Agree but how do you enforce that? I have no certificate that proves I have been vaccinated. How would airlines go about this? Countries?

that would be the practical way to do it. basically, airlines wouldn't let anyone enter or leave a country without a vaccination record. i find it exceptionally unlikely that this will happen, but that's the best way to stop a preventable outbreak of disease.

that would be the practical way to do it. basically, airlines wouldn't let anyone enter or leave a country without a vaccination record. i find it exceptionally unlikely that this will happen, but that's the best way to stop a preventable outbreak of disease.

Yea it would have all sorts of challenges. I remember we had to provide my kids vaccination record for college. However it had to be sent directly and separately to the medical staff on campus. Nobody else was authorized to see it due to HIPAA laws. Medical privacy and all that stuff.

Same as we do now.
Schools require certification from the child's doctor that required immunizations have been given.

Same as we do now.
Schools require certification from the child's doctor that required immunizations have been given.

But again thats only for the school nurse's eyes. That would mean airlines would have to hire medical personnel to view vaccination records. HIPAA laws require that. Its not like we can just hand over the record for any employee when buying a ticket.

Anti-vaxxers should be tried for crimes against humanity.

You are misinformed.

From the following:

The Washington Post: Washington state measles outbreak has potential to go very big, very quickly

Cute that WaPo blames "libertarians" for this.

Back
Top Bottom