• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘A Match Into a Can of Gasoline’: Measles Outbreak Now an Emergency in Washington State

Cute that WaPo blames "libertarians" for this.

Yea its been proven its not a political thing at all. Fairly equal numbers on all sides are anti vaxxers. If anything Whole Foods should be blamed..

The creeping return of deadly diseases like measles should be blamed on “Whole Foods mums” who refuse to vaccinate their children, a global health chief has said. Parents in developed countries are shunning the life-saving injections by “trying to be organic”, amid a barrage of anti-vaccine conspiracy theories led by American celebrities, said Seth Berkley, the head of international vaccine alliance Gavi. The UK must also be on the alert for slipping vaccination rates, Dr Berkley told The Times. He said: “It’s the Whole Foods mums. You’re trying to be organic, you’re trying to do the right thing for your kids and all of a sudden you’re like, ‘Well, do I need to inject these things?’

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-mums-warning-seth-berkley-gavi-a7950281.html

If your child gets this disease and suffers lasting effects it is your fault.

Not if the vaccine fails (which will occur often in an epidemic) or the child was unable to get the vaccine because of medical reasons.

Collateral damage, I guess.

If both vaccinated and unvaccinated people are getting them how do you know that it's the people not getting the vaccine that are the ones spreading it?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Because we understand how infectious disease and vaccines work.

You don’t seem to.

Because we understand how infectious disease and vaccines work.

You don’t seem to.

Have you considered the possibility that people getting the vaccine are the ones spreading the disease in a plot hatched by Area 51 in conjunction with Russian and Chinese operatives.

Did ya think of that?

Cute that WaPo blames "libertarians" for this.

Yeah misplaced blame.

I would say it is an anti vaxer thing.

Those who either don’t understand how vaccines work or don’t trust medicine.

Have you considered the possibility that people getting the vaccine are the ones spreading the disease in a plot hatched by Area 51 in conjunction with Russian and Chinese operatives.

Did ya think of that?

Sure, but Occam’s razor strongly suggests it’s idiotic people as the primary cause.

And a quick glance at many DP threads on other topics backs that up.

Sure, but Occam’s razor strongly suggests it’s idiotic people as the primary cause.

And a quick glance at many DP threads on other topics backs that up.

Alien tech.

Yea it would have all sorts of challenges. I remember we had to provide my kids vaccination record for college. However it had to be sent directly and separately to the medical staff on campus. Nobody else was authorized to see it due to HIPAA laws. Medical privacy and all that stuff.

i had to do it before being allowed into grad school. i also had to get a TB test and a booster or two, if i remember right.

Whats interesting is a larger than normal number of those that got measles, had been vaccinated. Watched a news report last week about this and the CDC is looking into various things. One that if some of these people were over 18 then a single dose might not be enough and everybody might need a booster dose later in life. Secondly that there is a chance it has mutated but they dont think this is true as of yet. Third that while rare, there is a 3% failure rate with the MMR vaccine and its possible these people's bodies just rejected the vaccine. Its certainly something worth investigating. I also have read where many of our vaccines are made of components nowadays that could potentially reduce their effectiveness. This happened with canine vaccines a decade ago when the Chinese provided a component of the bordetella vaccine.

From the National Vaccination Information Center:

The CDC says that vaccine-induced immunity “appears to be long-term and probably lifelong in most persons.” However, some studies show that vaccine failure due to waning immunity may occur.

...There are studies showing that measles outbreaks can occur in fully vaccinated populations.8,9,10 For example, an outbreak of measles in the spring of 1985 in Corpus Christi, Texas, occurred in a school where more than 99 percent of the students were fully vaccinated.

...In another outbreak in a school in Illinois in 1983-84, the Centers for Disease Control confirmed that the school had a “documented immunization level of 100 percent,"12 suggesting the possibility of certain amount of primary vaccine failure or waning immunity since it had been 10 or more years since the students, who got measles, had had their last measles shot.

Some research reveals that exposure to natural measles not only is actually necessary to maintain protective antibodies in vaccinated persons, but also may help prevent symptoms of allergic diseases. Still other research shows that measles vaccine acquired immunity wanes over time, providing an opportunity for subclinical (asymptomatic) measles infections to occur in fully vaccinated populations. https://www.nvic.org/vaccines-and-diseases/measles/measles-vaccine-effectiveness.aspx

From the National Vaccination Information Center:

The CDC says that vaccine-induced immunity “appears to be long-term and probably lifelong in most persons.” However, some studies show that vaccine failure due to waning immunity may occur.

...There are studies showing that measles outbreaks can occur in fully vaccinated populations.8,9,10 For example, an outbreak of measles in the spring of 1985 in Corpus Christi, Texas, occurred in a school where more than 99 percent of the students were fully vaccinated.

...In another outbreak in a school in Illinois in 1983-84, the Centers for Disease Control confirmed that the school had a “documented immunization level of 100 percent,"12 suggesting the possibility of certain amount of primary vaccine failure or waning immunity since it had been 10 or more years since the students, who got measles, had had their last measles shot.

Some research reveals that exposure to natural measles not only is actually necessary to maintain protective antibodies in vaccinated persons, but also may help prevent symptoms of allergic diseases. Still other research shows that measles vaccine acquired immunity wanes over time, providing an opportunity for subclinical (asymptomatic) measles infections to occur in fully vaccinated populations. https://www.nvic.org/vaccines-and-diseases/measles/measles-vaccine-effectiveness.aspx

My son had the chicken pox vaccine and yet has gotten the disease twice since. Doctors were concerned and did a titer test and found he had no titer for it. Its pretty rare but nothing can be done.

Agree but how do you enforce that? I have no certificate that proves I have been vaccinated. How would airlines go about this? Countries?

Many vaccination antibodies can be seen in blood titers.

My son had the chicken pox vaccine and yet has gotten the disease twice since. Doctors were concerned and did a titer test and found he had no titer for it. Its pretty rare but nothing can be done.

Sorry the vaccine did not work for your son.

Thanks for sharing this info with us.

If your child gets this disease and suffers lasting effects it is your fault.

My children were vaccinated. However, as I've now posted, studies indicate that sometimes vaccinations wane.

My children were vaccinated. However, as I've now posted, studies indicate that sometimes vaccinations wane.

Measles is actually one of them. The CDC now recommends two doses. Many over 50 have only had one. So it could make them more likely to get the measles. People should be asking their doctors about it since these outbreaks are getting more common and its worse if one is older.

Not if the vaccine fails (which will occur often in an epidemic) or the child was unable to get the vaccine because of medical reasons.

Collateral damage, I guess.

Yeah, they are also the fault of those who do not their kids vaccinated.

They deliberately use less than 100% effective vaccines. This is because the strength of a 100% effective one would be very strong, many times more strong than the 80% one used.

However, by using the strength they do they are avoiding causing trouble due to side effects and those who don't get total immunity get partial immunity and the whole herd gets herd immunity whereby the chance of a single case of the disease infecting somebody else is less than 1. Thus there is a general reduction in numbers rather than a spread.

Sadly this does not work when sections of society have clusters of none-vaccinated people.

Whats interesting is a larger than normal number of those that got measles, had been vaccinated. Watched a news report last week about this and the CDC is looking into various things. One that if some of these people were over 18 then a single dose might not be enough and everybody might need a booster dose later in life. Secondly that there is a chance it has mutated but they dont think this is true as of yet. Third that while rare, there is a 3% failure rate with the MMR vaccine and its possible these people's bodies just rejected the vaccine. Its certainly something worth investigating. I also have read where many of our vaccines are made of components nowadays that could potentially reduce their effectiveness. This happened with canine vaccines a decade ago when the Chinese provided a component of the bordetella vaccine.

Well said. Figuring out what's actually going on before freaking out and pointing fingers is the way to go.

They deliberately use less than 100% effective vaccines. This is because the strength of a 100% effective one would be very strong, many times more strong than the 80% one used.

However, by using the strength they do they are avoiding causing trouble due to side effects and those who don't get total immunity get partial immunity and the whole herd gets herd immunity whereby the chance of a single case of the disease infecting somebody else is less than 1. Thus there is a general reduction in numbers rather than a spread.

Sadly this does not work when sections of society have clusters of none-vaccinated people.

Indeed. Existing weaknesses in vaccines are made worse when disease spreads quickly among the unvaccinated. My wife was friends with an anti vaccine supporter and she keep insisting we not vaccinate our daughter because of the assumed risk of autism. I took a bit of time to educate myself on the subject and after talking to three doctors (of varying opinions on vaccines), I felt the risks were too high to not vaccinate. The connection between vaccines and autism were not clearly defined, so it made no sense to risk my daughter's health by having her be exposed to other deadly diseases. What my wife and I did do was space the vaccination schedule with out doctor.

I have only know two anti vaxxers. Both had been vaccinating their kids until that Rick Perry/Merck scandal came out where he mandated a vaccine in TX and was set to get kickbacks for it. They suddenly feared big pharma was in bed with politicians and not for the health of kids. It freaked them out. They started seeing holistic doctors and such afterwards. Made them completely mistrustful of medicine. They both got unbearable to be around because it consumed them. All they talked about was big Pharma, Monsanto, GMOs, high fructose corn syrup etc. It got to the point where there was nothing you could say because they would tell you how bad it was and how it was a scam.

Indeed. Existing weaknesses in vaccines are made worse when disease spreads quickly among the unvaccinated. My wife was friends with an anti vaccine supporter and she keep insisting we not vaccinate our daughter because of the assumed risk of autism. I took a bit of time to educate myself on the subject and after talking to three doctors (of varying opinions on vaccines), I felt the risks were too high to not vaccinate. The connection between vaccines and autism were not clearly defined, so it made no sense to risk my daughter's health by having her be exposed to other deadly diseases. What my wife and I did do was space the vaccination schedule with out doctor.

The autism thing is utterly bogus, I think, and so does the medical profession.

That we have massively increased levels of it is simply a result of it being diagnosed far more. Lots of us are on the specturm.

The autism thing is utterly bogus, I think, and so does the medical profession.

That we have massively increased levels of it is simply a result of it being diagnosed far more. Lots of us are on the specturm.

Based on my research I came to that conclusion as well. There was simply not enough supporting evidence to make that claim believable.

Back
Top Bottom