• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

‘A Match Into a Can of Gasoline’: Measles Outbreak Now an Emergency in Washington State

I have only know two anti vaxxers. Both had been vaccinating their kids until that Rick Perry/Merck scandal came out where he mandated a vaccine in TX and was set to get kickbacks for it. They suddenly feared big pharma was in bed with politicians and not for the health of kids. It freaked them out. They started seeing holistic doctors and such afterwards. Made them completely mistrustful of medicine. They both got unbearable to be around because it consumed them. All they talked about was big Pharma, Monsanto, GMOs, high fructose corn syrup etc. It got to the point where there was nothing you could say because they would tell you how bad it was and how it was a scam.

I've known only two anti-vaxxers, a couple. They both held advanced degrees; one was in (food) quality control while the other was a registered nurse. I lost touch with them many years ago, but their kids are in their 30's now, and I wonder whether they regret their decision not to vaccinate.

Based on my research I came to that conclusion as well. There was simply not enough supporting evidence to make that claim believable.

No there isnt. Apparently along with the OP, there also is an outbreak in Brooklyn among the Orthodox Jewish community. Seems many there dont do vaccines either. They get a religious exemption. I hadnt known that.

I've known only two anti-vaxxers, a couple. They both held advanced degrees; one was in (food) quality control while the other was a registered nurse. I lost touch with them many years ago, but their kids are in their 30's now, and I wonder whether they regret their decision not to vaccinate.

I have another friend who is a chemist at MIT and she does vaccinate but only the "biggies" as she calls them. MMR, polio etc. She doesnt do the newer ones. As a researcher who has experience with pharma she only does vaccinations that have more than a 10 year record of safety on the public market. She said she has seen way too many drugs (particularly Type II diabetes ones) that are put on market and do poorly and are pulled quickly for deaths. Thats sort of her baseline for vaccinations, a proven record.

No there isnt. Apparently along with the OP, there also is an outbreak in Brooklyn among the Orthodox Jewish community. Seems many there dont do vaccines either. They get a religious exemption. I hadnt known that.

Yes, I know in NY that's available as it is in NJ. I looked into it here in NJ because I wanted to assess the risk to my daughter's health, and the fact NJ allows vaccine exemption was just another reason to vaccinate. It made sense to have my daughter have better odds against diseases than none at all; especially since we live in an urban environment with many immigrants from all over the world.

I have another friend who is a chemist at MIT and she does vaccinate but only the "biggies" as she calls them. MMR, polio etc. She doesnt do the newer ones. As a researcher who has experience with pharma she only does vaccinations that have more than a 10 year record of safety on the public market. She said she has seen way too many drugs (particularly Type II diabetes ones) that are put on market and do poorly and are pulled quickly for deaths. Thats sort of her baseline for vaccinations, a proven record.

Sounds like an idiot.

I can think of two drugs in the last 20 years for T2DM that was pulled from the market. And that was because of a rare adverse effect with one, and a borderline real effect with another.

And before you whine about her being a ‘researcher’... I’m also a researcher in pharma, and chemists tend not to have a real good understanding of risk benefit in populations.... because they’re chemists, not biologists.

Have you considered the possibility that people getting the vaccine are the ones spreading the disease in a plot hatched by Area 51 in conjunction with Russian and Chinese operatives.

Did ya think of that?

Possible, yes, but I think it much more compelling to note that the Pacific Northwest is home to the greatest number of bigfoot sightings in North America and the last time I checked, bigfoots aren't being vaccinated.

Food for thought...

Possible, yes, but I think it much more compelling to note that the Pacific Northwest is home to the greatest number of bigfoot sightings in North America and the last time I checked, bigfoots aren't being vaccinated.

Food for thought...

I know what kind of sightings are in the NW corner. Toofless, cookin' and goosestepping.

"Measles outbreak in Israel prompts warning in New York": https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/06/health/measles-outbreak-nyc-israel/index.html

And there was concern in New Jersey over an airline passenger from Belgium: https://www.debatepolitics.com/brea...newark-airport-disease.html?highlight=measles

TV news mentioned that of the 50 cases, a portion of them had been vaccinated. If true, that suggests that the measles vaccine may be about as effective as the flu vaccine.

Anyway, it's a mess.

No it doesn't. It just suggests what the studies clearly show - the vaccine is not 100% effective.

The Crazed Anti Vaccers seem to be a strange brew of Religious Right Wing Nut Jobs and Far Left Anti Establishment Nut Jobs....Unless the child has a know allergic reaction , it is pretty inexcusable

TV news mentioned that of the 50 cases, a portion of them had been vaccinated. If true, that suggests that the measles vaccine may be about as effective as the flu vaccine.

Anyway, it's a mess.

It's a "herd" problem. If 95% of the herd is vaccinated, transmission is rare. Now we are down to 90% and the vaccine is being "tested" by different strains of chicken pox and thus like flu, some people get full immunity and some people get less. Immunity is a body response triggered by vaccines, and not all humans are equal in their response.

The anti-vaccer's are a plague in and of themselves. They get old world diseases and spread them. Pretty soon we will be back to polio shots. Typhus is back in L.A., BTW. That went out with the guillotine.

Washington is a mandatory vaccine state, too.

I'm really impressed that you knew that, considering that only 50 states are "mandatory vaccination" states.

Did you know that in almost all of that tiny minority of the states which are "mandatory vaccination" states there are exemptions available which would allow a child to attend school WITHOUT being vaccinated?

Did you know that in Washington (state) one of the acceptable reasons for not having a child vaccinated is "certification signed by any parent or legal guardian of the child or any adult in loco parentis to the child that the signator has either a philosophical or personal objection to the immunization of the child" (IOW "I don't believe in vaccination.")?

Did you know that in Louisiana the law says "No person seeking to enter any school or facility enumerated in Subsection A of this Section shall be required to comply with the provisions of this Section if the student or his parent or guardian submits either a written statement from a physician stating that the procedure is contraindicated for medical reasons, or a written dissent from the student or his parent or guardian is presented." (IOW "I don't want my kid vaccinated.. Yes, I know that vaccinations work. Yes, I have no religious scruples about vaccination. No, I don't have any other reason for not wanting my kid to be vaccinated. I just don't want my kid vaccinated.")?

Anti-science people suck.
You mean questioning germ theory because it's "only" a theory is ****ing moronic?

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

This is what the anti-science idiots get. Eradicated diseases running amok because of dumb people that rather believe BS internet blogs than actual science. And these outbreaks can begin to affect people who have been vaccinated.

As if the proof of how good vaccines work wasn't already enough, like the eradication of so many deadly diseases that killed millions and millions, this just prove it more.

Throw this in the face of any anti-vaccine moron out there. I feel bad for the kids that didn't have a choice that their parents are idiots

If your child gets this disease and suffers lasting effects it is your fault.

HOGWASH!!!

If your child gets Measles, it's because "God Wanted Them To Get Measles".

Now I will admit that, due to the age of the child, there is a possibility that "God Wanted Them To Get Measles" NOT for any fault of the child but because of the delicts of the parents.

After all, didn't "God Want Donald Trump To Become President"? And isn't there always a possibility that that is what God Wanted NOT because of any fault of Mr. Trump but because of the delicts of ...?

Don't believe me, just ask any "Fundamentalist Conservative".

Agree but how do you enforce that? I have no certificate that proves I have been vaccinated. How would airlines go about this? Countries?

Why they'd put you on a "No Fly List" if someone reported "suspicious skin activity". True, that might work some minor hardships on the one or two people in the country who have freckles (or are using the wrong dosage of BC pills), but we all have to make sacrifices for freedom - don't we?

Anyway, it's a mess.

your comment shows an ignorance to how vaccines work. Herd immunity is very important. No vaccine is 100% effective against all strains, since viruses mutation very rapidly. THis is why flu vaccines are often not as effective, they have to guess which strains will be prevalent.

Vaccines work by providing a patent weakened virus, or portions of virus that have the most conserved sequences among the different strains, and this causes the immune system to build antibodies to that virus or portion of virus, so when exposed to the virus it can mount a rapid response before the virus takes hold. If a virus mutates, the antibody may no longer recognize it and the immune system wouldn't kill the infected cell.

The more people are no vaccinated, the more the virus is spreading around, and mutating. Possible to the point where the immunity given by the vaccine no longer works. it also increased potential exposure. Also, someone might be immunocompromised and there immune system doesn't work well and they can't get an effective response to kill the infected cells

Herd immunity is very important aspect of vaccines. A unvaccinated person amongst mostly vaccinated people will likely be protected because they wouldn't be exposed to virus. The more unvaccinated people there are, the more chances that virus can infect other people.

Vaccines, along with antibiotics, is the most effective medical treatment there is, with efficacy rates far better than any of the best drugs or treatments could offer. The biggest medical breakthroughs of human history.

The fact you didn't see cases of polio, smallpox, measles, tetanus, rabies, pertussis, etc for the long time, other than sporadic cases, proves how amazingly well it works.

You are misinformed.

From the following:

The Washington Post: Washington state measles outbreak has potential to go very big, very quickly

You can just assume anytime you see apdst post its going to be a dumb, childish one liner trolling post, void of any originality originality and intelligence. I wouldn't be surprised if someone figured an AI troll bot to do just that. You can even predict the dumb responses that will come from this poster

Ever been to Vermont? I can assure you they arent evangelicals up here. Just granola hippies that hate big pharma. Mississippi on the other hand has the highest vaccination rates in the US.

Mississippi has highest childhood vaccination rates in country - Mississippi Business Journal

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the anti-vaxxers are more liberal than conservative. Same thing with anti-pharma, and anti-GMO. ironically,l given that they are wrong, they behave very similarly to evangelicals and extreme right wingers in their deflections, ignorance, and use of garbage biased websites.

It's a "herd" problem. If 95% of the herd is vaccinated, transmission is rare. Now we are down to 90% and the vaccine is being "tested" by different strains of chicken pox and thus like flu, some people get full immunity and some people get less. Immunity is a body response triggered by vaccines, and not all humans are equal in their response.

The anti-vaccer's are a plague in and of themselves. They get old world diseases and spread them. Pretty soon we will be back to polio shots. Typhus is back in L.A., BTW. That went out with the guillotine.

How many are here illegally have had vaccinations at all? I wonder where they live? I wonder were the outbreaks are? LA, Washington, DC. All have large populations of illegals. I know my questions might be offensive but one of the reasons Ellis Island was used for was for screening the health of immigrants who came here legally. In fact the heath of ALL legal immigrants who come here is screened. Who screened the illegals aliens health? Who checked the illegals vaccinations? Anti vaccers are a very tiny minority compared to the 33+million illegal aliens. I would say we should look at the more likely cause of the measles and TB outbreaks.

But again thats only for the school nurse's eyes. That would mean airlines would have to hire medical personnel to view vaccination records. HIPAA laws require that. Its not like we can just hand over the record for any employee when buying a ticket.

Why not have everyone have either a bar code tattooed on their forehead or a "chip" implanted there? All of those could be referenced back to a huge central data bank that contains the full record for every single person in the country and which is constantly being updated.

"Bar codes" could be read from further away, but "chips" could probably convey more information faster, and, of course, it would have to be illegal to obscure your "bar code" so some religions groups (like the Haredi) so probably the best way to go would be with the implanted "chip". In fact, those "chips" could be made so that they would report emergencies (such as gunshots, lynching, syncope, or MI) as soon as they happened and have emergency medical assistance dispatched to your location in time to save your life.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the anti-vaxxers are more liberal than conservative. Same thing with anti-pharma, and anti-GMO. ironically,l given that they are wrong, they behave very similarly to evangelicals and extreme right wingers in their deflections, ignorance, and use of garbage biased websites.

Not sure about that. I would assume that income has more to do with it. Mississippi has the highest vaccination rates in the country because they are poor. Parents cant take time off to stay home with a sick child or pay for a hospital visit. Those hipster parents who shop the GMO aisle at Whole Foods can. In Vermont the poorer areas are highly vaccinated while the better offs are less so. Its one of those things. Some even claim vaccines are a Monsanto plot!

The autism thing is utterly bogus, I think, and so does the medical profession.

That we have massively increased levels of it is simply a result of it being diagnosed far more. Lots of us are on the specturm.

It is 100% bogus. THe guy (Andrew Wakefiled) who made the garbage study that anti-vaxxers rely on was proven to be a fraud, have conflict of interest, misconduct investigations. the results were not reproducible, and the fact mercury isn't even used in vaccines anymore

Have you considered the possibility that people getting the vaccine are the ones spreading the disease in a plot hatched by Area 51 in conjunction with Russian and Chinese operatives.

Did ya think of that?

How many times do I have to tell you

00-no pyramid.jpg

We do NOT exist.

Back
Top Bottom