• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

YOU'RE HIRED! Trump to Pick Mike Pence, Says Source

He chose a fellow with governing experience, experience in the People's house and a TP conservative. That ticks a lot of boxes. The folks around here may not see it because for them anything Trump does is wrong, but for the voting public, that's a good pick.
I don't think most of the voting public is that nuanced.

Yeah, but does Trump have any solid stances? I think he just tells people what he thinks they want to hear.

Quite true but this is one of his solider ones.

I actually like Pence. Always did. I like him so much that I really hope he does NOT accept this offer (if it's true) from that orange faced menace.
I'm not familiar with Pence, but to me it's kind of 'meh', it doesn't matter. Barring a proven resurrected Jesus Christ I wouldn't be voting for Trump anyway.

Yes Christie is to the left of Pence. He's to the left of most Republicans, which is why he's so fond of Trump (who is also to the left of Atilla the Hun).

Pence is a born again Christian. Too focused on things like abortion and all of that for my tastes, but I like the guy. Former Democrat. Changed by Reagan. I don't see him being a racist at all, though. What specifically makes you think he supports anything that favors "white" people?

If you back the Tea Party, you must be a racist, didn't you get the memo??

I predict that VP pick, if true, will cost Trump many Independent votes he might have otherwise captured. I guess it locks down the Evangelicals, but in a national election it's going to take more than that.

Disappointing.

Pence is a Tea Bagger and a religionist. I realize that's redundant. He's pretty much opposed to anything that doesn't favor white, pro-life, corporate, straight, Christian, social control and surveillance.

In comparison, Christie is probably to the left of Pence.

The good news is that more and more conservatives are fed the hell up with Tea-bagging social engineering and religious stealth. I don't see the choice as helping Trump. It will likely be a wash.

Doesn't Indiana have for profit Prisons?

Bad choice.

Trump will lose many independents with Pence's bible thumping background.

I find that somewhat unlikely. VP picks rarely gain or lose many votes. Pence is easily the safest pick he could make, but I doubt it will swing a single state.

If you back the Tea Party, you must be a racist, didn't you get the memo??

If you make stupid claims like the above, you must love straw men arguments.

New Castle prison is for profit. What does that have to do with Pence? It was opened 15 years ago, long before he was governor.

If he is opposed, he could work to change it. He hasn't that I am aware of. That in itself is an endorsement.

If you make stupid claims like the above, you must love straw men arguments.

Redress, I was responding to someone who was asking a direct question of someone who did in fact, make that claim. It's called using a little over the top humor to highlight a point. What you're doing is taking a comment out of context for a cheap, and empty rhetorical driveby.

If he is opposed, he could work to change it. He hasn't that I am aware of. That in itself is an endorsement.

If his constituents don't oppose it (and I have no idea if they do or not), why would he change it?

I know eliminating for-profit prisons was one of Bernie's pet projects. I went to hear him talk and he did mention it. But unless it gets traction, governors won't do anything about it unless their citizens or legislature demands it. For profit prisons have been around for about 175 years.

I find that somewhat unlikely. VP picks rarely gain or lose many votes. Pence is easily the safest pick he could make, but I doubt it will swing a single state.

Then why was the left all over Palin if it doesn't make any difference, or republicans all over Crazy Uncle Joe?

The picks will get face time during the debates and do have their own affect on a campaign.

Then why was the left all over Palin if it doesn't make any difference, or republicans all over Crazy Uncle Joe?

The picks will get face time during the debates and do have their own affect on a campaign.

Palin was a fun target, but she did not by any means cost McCain the election. I am not even convinced she cost McCain total votes. I think she, like most VP picks, had a pretty minor effect. Likewise Joe Biden. Did not cost nor gain Obama a single state.

If his constituents don't oppose it (and I have no idea if they do or not), why would he change it?

I know eliminating for-profit prisons was one of Bernie's pet projects. I went to hear him talk and he did mention it. But unless it gets traction, governors won't do anything about it unless their citizens or legislature demands it. For profit prisons have been around for about 175 years.

It won't help get those Bernie voters that he is seeking.

I truly hope Bernie supporters are smarter than that and wouldn't vote for him anyway.

Every candidate has idiots that support them. People aren't objective. They seek to feed their confirmation bias.

Yes Christie is to the left of Pence. He's to the left of most Republicans, which is why he's so fond of Trump (who is also to the left of Atilla the Hun).

Pence is a born again Christian. Too focused on things like abortion and all of that for my tastes, but I like the guy. Former Democrat. Changed by Reagan. I don't see him being a racist at all, though. What specifically makes you think he supports anything that favors "white" people?

It is rather his non-support of people who aren't white and people who are disadvantaged.

Edit to add: In all sincerity I think Pence is a perfect match for Trump. They appeal to much the same base. Pence will not attract many/any non-white voters and he damn sure won't attract many/any LBGT voters. He will attract evangelicals, which Trump needs.

Last edited:
It is rather his non-support of people who aren't white and people who are disadvantaged.

Edit to add: In all sincerity I think Pence is a perfect match for Trump. They appeal to much the same base. Pence will not attract many/any non-white voters and he damn sure won't attract many/any LBGT voters. He will attract evangelicals, which Trump needs.

I'm just curious who exactly Trump could pick that would appeal to non-white voters. The blacks will vote for Hillary. Most Hispanics won't vote for the Republican anyway. I can't think of anyone who would help him win those votes.

There are a lot of people in the country who are not non-white and who are not disadvantaged. We're allowed to and should have representation, too. I agree that things could be better for a lot of people, but not everyone has to make them their priority. And it isn't smart to forget about us white people who don't need/don't want government to support us. In fact, the less I see of the government, the happier I am.

Last edited:

Well Trump wouldn't attract many non-white/LGBT voters to begin with, no matter who he picks as his VP.

Donald Trump is planning to announce that Indiana Gov. Mike Pence is his choice for his vice presidential running mate, according to a Republican with direct knowledge of the decision.

As Trump narrowed in on his choice of Pence, the two men spent time at both Trump's golf resort in New Jersey in early July and at the Indiana governor's mansion this week.
Trump to Pick Mike Pence, Says Source

Pence is going to screw himself in his home state of Indiana if he accepts Trump's offer. What the hell is he thinking???

Back
Top Bottom