• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Your favorite Rock, Country, Rap and Pop artists

Skeptic Bob

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
Name your favorite artist/group from each of these four major musical genres. Might be tough for those who don't enjoy all four but give it a try. I'll start:

Rock: Jimi Hendrix
Pop: Prince (I know it is hard to pin him down to a genre but I'll take him as the King of Pop over MJ any day, and I liked MJ a lot)
Rap: Eminem (some may have a better "flow" but I like lyricist rappers and he is hands down the best lyricist)
Country: Johnny Cash (outlaw country is my favorite country and Cash was my favorite of the outlaw country singers)

ETA: Feel free to add other genres if you wish.

Last edited:
Name your favorite artist/group from each of these four major musical genres. Might be tough for those who don't enjoy all four but give it a try. I'll start:

Pop: Prince (I know it is hard to pin him down to a genre but I'll take him as the King of Pop over MJ any day, and I liked MJ a lot)
Rap: Eminem (some may have a better "flow" but I like lyricist rappers and he is hands down the best lyricist)
Country: Johnny Cash (outlaw country is my favorite country and Cash was my favorite of the outlaw country singers)

Rock: Van Halen
Pop: Teagan and Sarah
Rap: Run DMC
Country: Alison Krauss (if Bluegrass counts as country, if not, Shania)

Rock...Rolling Stones
Pop...Prince
Rap...blech
Country...Chris Stapleton

Rock: The Sisters of Mercy / Killing Joke / Alice in Chains
Pop: ummmmmmmm, I can't think of one.
Rap: Tupac Shakur / Lupe Fiasco / Snoop Dogg-(back in the day)

Sorry, I can't just pick one for the Rock and Rap.

Pink Floyd
Beatles
Rap really isn't my thing but NWA and Public Enemy were pretty good
Johnny Cash with Merle Haggard a close second

Rock: Hendrix, Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, RHCP, Stones, Ramones, (I can't choose just one!)
Pop: the Beatles
Rap: Notorious B.I.G. (jaws are probably dropping)
Jazz: John Coltrane
Blues: Freddie King, Robert Johnson

Rock: Something For Kate
Pop: David Bowie
Rap: Gorillaz

Rock: Zeppelin

Pop: Elton

Rap: Tupac

Alvin Lee - lead
my fav "jam" category

Last edited:

Rock: Marilyn Manson
Pop: Michael Jackson
Rap: UGK
Electronic: Nu:Logic

DLR or Sammy era VH? That could be a whole thread in itself.
DLR, hands down.

There's some decent stuff with Hagar, but DLR's first four are perfect.

What are your favorite Sabbath albums? I'm all about Sabotage and Mob Rules.

Rock: Pink Floyd or Styx
Rap: SPM and Nas
Pop: Elton John

Rock: Judas Priest, Dio, Rush, Ozzy, early Yes, Kinks.
Pop: INXS, U2.
Rap: Not into it.

hard Rock-Led Zeppelin
Southern Rock-Allman Brothers
"punk Rock"=Clash
Folk Rock-Steeleye Span
Electric Blue Grass Rock-Grateful Dead
Folk-Joan Baez or Bob Dylan
Country-EmmyLou Harris
Pop-Cat Stevens or Donovan

Lindsey Buckingham is really really good -he just went on tour (clip) after getting fired from Fleetwood Mac.
live music is a drug..

hard Rock-Led Zeppelin
Southern Rock-Allman Brothers
"punk Rock"=Clash
Folk Rock-Steeleye Span
Electric Blue Grass Rock-Grateful Dead
Folk-Joan Baez or Bob Dylan
Country-EmmyLou Harris
Pop-Cat Stevens or Donovan
Donovan really bring out the emotion in me, especially 'Atlantis'.

giphy.gif

Rock: The Doors ... Pop: Beatles .... Rap: ( no clue ) Country: Willie Nelson ( once got to share a couple of doobies with him,Kris Kristofferson, and Waylon Jennings at an after hours night club while in college )......Honorable Mention: Eric Clapton because, well, he's Eric Clapton the 'Forever Man'

Rock: Judas Priest, Dio, Rush, Ozzy, early Yes, Kinks.
Pop: INXS, U2.
Rap: Not into it.

Forgot about Roy Orbison...gotta go to youtube now and hear him hit that high note in 'Blue Bayou'

Folk - Peter, Paul and Mary
Electric Blues - Albert Collins
Acoustic Blues - Robert Johnson
Bluegrass - Flatt and Scruggs
Gospel - Mahalia Jackson
Big Band - Benny Goodman
Vocal Jazz - Ella Fitzgerald
Cool Jazz - Miles Davis
Metal - Motorhead

Donovan really bring out the emotion in me, especially 'Atlantis'.

giphy.gif

I love Hurdy-gurdy man-the studio version had most of LZ as studio musicians on it and was one of the real cornerstones of psychedelic rock even though pop is the best of several imperfect descriptions of Donovan. Atlantis is another song almost impossible to pigeonhole

Folk - Peter, Paul and Mary
Electric Blues - Albert Collins
Acoustic Blues - Robert Johnson
Bluegrass - Flatt and Scruggs
Gospel - Mahalia Jackson
Big Band - Benny Goodman
Vocal Jazz - Ella Fitzgerald
Cool Jazz - Miles Davis
Metal - Motorhead
You had me at Motorhead.

giphy.gif

Back