• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Your Dog and a Stranger Are Drowning-Which Do You Save?

Where did I state or even IMPLY that I would enjoy that thought?

you are grasping you clearly cannot defend your position rationally or ethically, so you resort to stuff like this.

I am engaging in the exact type argument as you, animal-hater.

Those are assumptions your making, in this situation obviously the human cannot help himself, and you have no idea what the reason was for either the animal or the human to be in the situation they are in.

Right, and in absence of that knowledge, I'm going to save the being that I know is not responsible for her situation.

It isn't wrong for a person to save a dog, it's wrong to choose a dog over a human simply because it's "your dog," also my point was you don't KNOW the circumstances, you're just speculating.

It is wrong or you think it is wrong?

Your first link says nothing about a link between cruelty to animals and sociopathy. It discusses the "triad" of behaviors, not just cruelty to animals

The 2nd link confirms the validity of linking cruelty to animals and sociopathy (and violent crime)

since my dog is a house dog and doesn't go outside unless I take her outside....I'm not assuming anything. for my dog to be in the water drowning with this turd....this turd had to have broken into my house and kidnapped my dog.

go cry me a river.

When my dog is outside, she is either on a leash being walked by me, or secured to a concrete post by chain which is replaced yearly. If she's in the water, someone let her loose.

When my dog is outside, she is either on a leash being walked by me, or secured to a concrete post by chain which is replaced yearly. If she's in the water, someone let her loose.

If my dog is in the water with someone, that someone took her into the water with them.

My dog *hates* the water. She won't even step into a puddle.

If she's in a body of water, I know who pulled her in

my dog hates the water as well. I have forced her into the pool with me and taught her how to swim to the steps to get out. just on the outside chance she does get out and somehow fall into the pool, she will be able to get out and not drown. but she absolutely HATES it and would never go in voluntarily. Definitely not a water dog. She hates water so much that she is even a very "dainty" drinker because she doesn't want to get water from the dish on her chin. actually quite funny to watch her drink. she won't even go onto the grass in the mornings when I take her out because she doesn't want to get her feet wet.

my dog hates the water as well. I have forced her into the pool with me and taught her how to swim to the steps to get out. just on the outside chance she does get out and somehow fall into the pool, she will be able to get out and not drown. but she absolutely HATES it and would never go in voluntarily. Definitely not a water dog. She hates water so much that she is even a very "dainty" drinker because she doesn't want to get water from the dish on her chin. actually quite funny to watch her drink. she won't even go onto the grass in the mornings when I take her out because she doesn't want to get her feet wet.

My Princess will also not go on to the grass (or dirt) when it's wet (in the morning, after it rains, etc). She doesn't like to go out for walks when it's raining or snowing.

There's no way she's jumping into a body of water.

I'd drown a stranger to save my dog.

1. I don't go to parks

2. If I did go to a park, I wouldn't be stupid enough to take a nap

spin on....

since it's all hypothetical bull****....I'd shoot a flying unicorn out of my ass and it would save us both.

You're really bad at thought experiments are you.

In other words you're saying whatever situation you find yourself in, you'd find a reason to let the person die and save the dog.

I am engaging in the exact type argument as you, animal-hater.

No ... you arn't, I don't put words in your mouth.

Right, and in absence of that knowledge, I'm going to save the being that I know is not responsible for her situation.

1. You don't know that.
2. So do you believe there is no objective value of a human life over a dogs?

You're really bad at thought experiments are you.

In other words you're saying whatever situation you find yourself in, you'd find a reason to let the person die and save the dog.

no, I'm saying that if you make up a stupid BS situation that would never ever happen in a million years....don't piss yourself and cry if I refuse to play along and give you the answer you are looking for.

no, I'm saying that if you make up a stupid BS situation that would never ever happen in a million years....don't piss yourself and cry if I refuse to play along and give you the answer you are looking for.

.... Ok ... if you don't want to take part in a thought experiment I don't know why you're posting here.

The point of thought experiments is to explore ideas and philosphies, not that those situations are likely to actually happen.

.... Ok ... if you don't want to take part in a thought experiment I don't know why you're posting here.

The point of thought experiments is to explore ideas and philosphies, not that those situations are likely to actually happen.

I'm saving my dog over some random stranger who, in order for the situation to exist, was instrumental in placing them both in danger.

I'm saving my dog over some random stranger who, in order for the situation to exist, was instrumental in placing them both in danger.

Your adding stuff to the thougth experiment that isn't there, just so you can say "I'd let the stranger die."

Imagine a situation where you have NO IDEA how they got there.

Your adding stuff to the thougth experiment that isn't there, just so you can say "I'd let the stranger die."

Imagine a situation where you have NO IDEA how they got there.

Imagine all the people....living life in peace.......

I'd save my dog. there are too damn many people anyway. probably be doing the world a favor by letting this POS drown.

Imagine all the people....living life in peace.......

I'd save my dog. there are too damn many people anyway. probably be doing the world a favor by letting this POS drown.

You're assuming he's a POS, which shows your moral character, you have no idea, you just assume, and you assume because you add stuff to the thought experiment to justify you're decision.

Sociopathy is the lack of empathy. If humans have no more value than Dogs then you cannot, morally judge anyone that harms anyone, I mean you can if you want, but you'd be a hypocrite.

You're assuming he's a POS, which shows your moral character, you have no idea, you just assume, and you assume because you add stuff to the thought experiment to justify you're decision.

Sociopathy is the lack of empathy. If humans have no more value than Dogs then you cannot, morally judge anyone that harms anyone, I mean you can if you want, but you'd be a hypocrite.

:2bigcry:

wow 3 thinly veiled insults in one post. way to go there, chumley

I believe it's objectively wrong, since human life has intrinsic value, do you not think so?

Well, if you'd like to present some evidence or make an argument to support your claim, go for it. I'd like to hear it.

The original "thought experiment" was that his dog and a stranger were in the water drowning". He is willing to take part in that because he sees it as possible. Improbable, but possible

His going to the park with his dog and falling asleep is something he does not see as possible, so he is refusing to take part in that one.

Your life long companion dog and a stranger are drowning and you can only save one.....chose.

The stranger. Are you kidding? It's a dog! That's like asking whether to save a bush or a person. Only one can think and actually experience things, the other just responds to stimuli.

Well, if you'd like to present some evidence or make an argument to support your claim, go for it. I'd like to hear it.

Do disagree? Do you think that human life has no intrinsic value?

Back
Top Bottom