• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

YOUR demographic. Rural or Urban

I am

• Total voters
Well...let's see...

Born on a farm, lived there two years. Lived in a major city for seven years. Lived in a foreign country for four years. Lived in suburban for three years. Lived in a foreign country for two years. Lived in suburban for two years. Lived in a major city for eight years. Lived in a foreign country for seven years. Lived in a rural town for thirty years. (all times are approximate)

You tell me. Which of your little boxes do I fit into?
clearly reich winger residing in a rural locale
no surprise there

What seems clear by the poll, is that the MAJORITY, the VAST majority, is URBAN/suburban. And we have the votes. We have the political power, and, WE WILL DOmINATE. Unless the right wing suppresses.
at least as far as that tiny fraction of a tiny portion of the US population ... assuming foreign members opted out of a poll response

Is this a reference to the liberal claim of gerrymandering whereby liberals complain they are being hosed because they can’t win legislative races?
They state legislators are gerry mandered as well.

I currently live in a tiny rural town, but I grew up in a medium sized suburb, and attended college, lived and worked in a major cosmopolitan city for almost half of my life.

So, I don't believe this survey accurately captures the correlation that the OP is looking for.
Ditto

What seems clear by the poll, is that the MAJORITY, the VAST majority, is URBAN/suburban. And we have the votes. We have the political power, and, WE WILL DOmINATE. Unless the right wing suppresses.
47% is a vast majority?

I don't think most people fit into your pigeon holes or your theory either. At least, I haven't got any wish to DOMINATE anyone.

I live in a bedroom community which is considered suburban but I lived in large cities, and I have grown to dislike most big cities for the traffic, crime, crowds, and pollution. At the same time I don't want to live in a backwoods rural environ either.

Political lean - center with slight right lean and registered independent. Agree with Trump on some things but think Biden will be the better leader overall.

The country seems to be split up into rural, AGAINST urban. And so I ask, your relative political stripe, along with your surroundings.

Far RIGHT with subdivisions going up all around(sad)

Was simi rural but Idaho is one of the fastest growing states

Stop.... just stop it

Why?
The GOP flipped in four different CA. districts. That means the majority in the House shrinks...

Facts suck, I know. ;)

Well...let's see...

Born on a farm, lived there two years. Lived in a major city for seven years. Lived in a foreign country for four years. Lived in suburban for three years. Lived in a foreign country for two years. Lived in suburban for two years. Lived in a major city for eight years. Lived in a foreign country for seven years. Lived in a rural town for thirty years. (all times are approximate)

I grew up in the suburbs 5 miles outside of downtown Cincinnati. in the 90s, Bought a small farm on the outskirts of a smaller city north of Cincinnati. The 250 acre farm to my west and the 150 or so acre farm to my south are now .5 to two acre subdivision homes. So its the suburbs now but there are still farms within 2 miles of me. so its suburban/agricultural though not rural.

The country seems to be split up into rural, AGAINST urban. And so I ask, your relative political stripe, along with your surroundings.
I'm an old country boy and a former military man who leans right. Even so, I can't remember ever voting a straight party line ticket. It's always a mixture of who I think the best candidates are regardless of party. I also have been known to vote third party when I don't like either major party's candidate.

The suburbs are divided too. Take Oakland and Macomb counties in Michigan for an example. One, the less educated and lower income of the two, went for Trump. Oakland country went for Biden.

I used to live outside of Detroit, so I know the two counties well. One is full of working class whites who once would have been UAW workers by the thousands. The other is the home of engineers, middle managers and executives. I look at that one as the barometer for what is intelligence in the USA. The intelligent voted for Joe.

I live in an urban area but I'm more conservative. Having lived in both rural and urban areas, City dwellers seem to overvalue their importance, rural people seem to think the urban people are more educated them they really are, and more sleazy than they really are.

I imagine the divide is based on news media pitting us against one another. That's what they have been doing for the passed 10 years.

Well...let's see...

Right and rural, you have lived in a rural town for 30 years now.

The suburbs are divided too. Take Oakland and Macomb counties in Michigan for an example. One, the less educated and lower income of the two, went for Trump. Oakland country went for Biden.

I used to live outside of Detroit, so I know the two counties well. One is full of working class whites who once would have been UAW workers by the thousands. The other is the home of engineers, middle managers and executives. I look at that one as the barometer for what is intelligence in the USA. The intelligent voted for Joe.

Generally, the more diverse and often affluent inner-ring suburbs are more liberal, the less diverse, outer burbs are more right-leaning.

I live in an urban area but I'm more conservative. Having lived in both rural and urban areas, City dwellers seem to overvalue their importance, rural people seem to think the urban people are more educated them they really are, and more sleazy than they really are.

I imagine the divide is based on news media pitting us against one another. That's what they have been doing for the passed 10 years.
the media has not done that

people with educations go where the jobs are. more often than not to urban areas

people with limited education are without such job mobility and tend to stay in the cotton patch

in my father's generation, a man without a college degree but with a strong work ethic, could support a middle class family and enjoy a defined retirement income

as a child of the 50s i have witnessed the transition to two-income families and to the move to and then away from suburbia as well as a much greater portion of our population achieving an education beyond a high school diploma

the three factors anticipated to disrupt our nation's economy with the new millennium were expected to be:
globalization
computerization
worker shortage when the boomers quit the workforce

the USA was the only major power to emerge industrially unscathed from WWII. the USA dominated almost every category measuring national well-being
and now, the world has caught up, and in many cases exceeded, our nation's ability to offer goods at a competitive price
our industrial wages have stagnated in many industries while the world's labor rates have improved
the competition that was not there decades ago is now eating our lunch

my career was spent helping business owners start and grow their enterprises. it amazed me how many of them said they would never buy a computer. they would fold up shop, first. it is the rare business today that can survive without accessing the internet. and computing has eliminated lots of job titles that used to exist. my first job out of college, i had a secretary ... not to myself, but there was a secretarial pool. that later evolved into a word processing section. in short order, everyone was typing their own documents.

but that loss of jobs was supposed to be offset by the demise of the boomers. that giant anaconda that had defined how many schools needed to be built, how many houses were needed, how many lanes were required, would eventually leave the work force in giant numbers. we are in the midst of that happening now. if my agency's predictions had borne out, there would be jobs paying high wages because there were so few employees to fill them. and if one is well educated and in software or medicine, the prediction holds true. but the rest of the population is now competing against the labor skills and rates of workers across the globe who are still willing to work for less than we.
what makes that even worse is the presence of 12 million (estimated) undocumented people, many of whom are very willing to accept low wages, given their circumstances. they have set the new floor for under-skilled work

notice that the media had nothing to do with any of that - beyond reporting it

covid has caused many to lose their jobs. this graph will illustrate that the hardest hit are the least educated

the world has changed and too many Americans were unprepared for the changed outcome

again, the media did nothing to cause that

the media has not done that

people with educations go where the jobs are. more often than not to urban areas

people with limited education are without such job mobility and tend to stay in the cotton patch

in my father's generation, a man without a college degree but with a strong work ethic, could support a middle class family and enjoy a defined retirement income

as a child of the 50s i have witnessed the transition to two-income families and to the move to and then away from suburbia as well as a much greater portion of our population achieving an education beyond a high school diploma

the three factors anticipated to disrupt our nation's economy with the new millennium were expected to be:
globalization
computerization
worker shortage when the boomers quit the workforce

the USA was the only major power to emerge industrially unscathed from WWII. the USA dominated almost every category measuring national well-being
and now, the world has caught up, and in many cases exceeded, our nation's ability to offer goods at a competitive price
our industrial wages have stagnated in many industries while the world's labor rates have improved
the competition that was not there decades ago is now eating our lunch

my career was spent helping business owners start and grow their enterprises. it amazed me how many of them said they would never buy a computer. they would fold up shop, first. it is the rare business today that can survive without accessing the internet. and computing has eliminated lots of job titles that used to exist. my first job out of college, i had a secretary ... not to myself, but there was a secretarial pool. that later evolved into a word processing section. in short order, everyone was typing their own documents.

but that loss of jobs was supposed to be offset by the demise of the boomers. that giant anaconda that had defined how many schools needed to be built, how many houses were needed, how many lanes were required, would eventually leave the work force in giant numbers. we are in the midst of that happening now. if my agency's predictions had borne out, there would be jobs paying high wages because there were so few employees to fill them. and if one is well educated and in software or medicine, the prediction holds true. but the rest of the population is now competing against the labor skills and rates of workers across the globe who are still willing to work for less than we.
what makes that even worse is the presence of 12 million (estimated) undocumented people, many of whom are very willing to accept low wages, given their circumstances. they have set the new floor for under-skilled work

notice that the media had nothing to do with any of that - beyond reporting it

covid has caused many to lose their jobs. this graph will illustrate that the hardest hit are the least educated

the world has changed and too many Americans were unprepared for the changed outcome

again, the media did nothing to cause that
The media does nothing but sell ad space that's all the exist for. They're competing with other entertainment. they are entertainment they are not information.

What gets the eyeballs glued to them instead of watching something else is renting and raving about how divided We Are, black people white people gay people Republicans Democrats, absolutely none of this is news. It is designed strictly to trigger serotonin in your brain. So that you don't dare change the channel during the commercial break.

There are entire industries built on this. The only reason they do it is because mostly older people think of the news has more than just another TV show. Basically they're operating on a legacy that's why they are called The legacy Media.

It's like that warm fuzzy feeling people of a certain age get at the mention of disney. People in my age group think of it as this demon swallowing everything and pumping out mediocrity.

Generally speaking people go to the city because that's where the jobs are whether they're educated or not. There are more uneducated people than there are educated people. So if the uneducated people went out to the Cotton patch that would be the city.

Right and rural, you have lived in a rural town for 30 years now.
And that is less than half my current lifetime.

Believe me, the other 30-some years of my life are not negated by the latest 30 years of my life. The whole 60-some years have shaped who I am.

I'm a former union film guy who lives semi-retired, six miles East of downtown Los Angeles, right about where the I-605 and I-5 cross each other. I consider myself to be moderately left of center.

And that is less than half my current lifetime.

Believe me, the other 30-some years of my life are not negated by the latest 30 years of my life. The whole 60-some years have shaped who I am.
I get the impression that you are more set in your ways than you think you are.

I’m right leaning and currently live in a semi-rural but incorporated area of Uhland, TX. No poll option offered seemed to fit that description.

I’m not sure that where a person happens to currently live has much bearing on their political positions (views?). I’ve lived most of my (66 years of) life in areas where (non-Hispanic) whites (like myself) were a minority - mostly in Prince George’s County, MD (except for 2 years in Fairfax County, VA, 3 years in Germany, 3 years in Guam and 17 years in Texas).

I’m right leaning and currently live in a semi-rural but incorporated area of Uhland, TX. No poll option offered seemed to fit that description.

I’m not sure that where a person happens to currently live has much bearing on their political positions (views?). I’ve lived most of my (66 years of) life in areas where (non-Hispanic) whites (like myself) were a minority - mostly in Prince George’s County, MD (except for 2 years in Fairfax County, VA, 3 years in Germany, 3 years in Guam and 17 years in Texas).
PEOPLE, generally live within a small distance of where their parents raised them. But if they do move away, where they were raised, is always with them, either fondly or regretfully.

Back
Top Bottom