• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Youngkin signs executive orders banning critical race theory, lifting mask mandate in Virginia public schools

How many of them brought it home to grandma?
Grandma should go get vaccinated. Or if for some reason she can't, then junior should wear his mask around her. Or if for some reason he can't, then the parents can homeschool junior. Don't expect all of society to conform to your random edge case.
How many have "long covid"?
If this is something you are worried about then wear your mask. No one is telling you that you can't.
it's about more than the body count.
Then keep your kid in a plastic bubble until they turn 18, move to a survivalist bunker, and homeschool them.

Grandma should go get vaccinated. Or if for some reason she can't, then junior should wear his mask around her. Or if for some reason he can't, then the parents can homeschool junior. Don't expect all of society to conform to your random edge case.

If this is something you are worried about then wear your mask. No one is telling you that you can't.

Then keep your kid in a plastic bubble until they turn 18, move to a survivalist bunker, and homeschool them.
It's not a "random edge case" it's objective reality.

It's not a "random edge case" it's objective reality.
You are talking about a second or third-order consequence when there are plenty of more effective options than forcing every kid in the state to wear a mask in school.

1) Junior is vaccinated and so he doesn't get COVID.
2) Junior wears his mask at school so he doesn't get COVID.
3) Junior is vaccinated so he only gets a weakened case of COVID and doesn't transmit it to Grandma.
4) Junior wears his mask around Grandma so he doesn't transmit it to Grandma.
5) Grandma is vaccinated so she doesn't get COVID.
6) Grandma wears her mask so she doesn't get COVID.
7) Grandma is vaccinated so she only gets a weakened case of COVID.

Literally at least 7 steps have to go wrong to justify the draconian and ridiculous mask mandates in schools. I'm starting to think that mask mandates are just a way for high-neuroticism, low-extraversion types to project their own anxieties on to the rest of society.

You support lies?
No. It’s not a lie. It’s a different opinion. Biden might be doing a better job than anyone, but we are learning as we go with CoVid. Having a different opinion is not a lie.

Your opinions are not facts and my differing opinions are not lies.

Here's the real story in Virginia (IMO). It's not just Youngkin. It's also about Lt. Gov. Winsome Sears who is Jamaican-born and first woman of color to hold statewide office. And Jason Miyares is a Hispanic American who is now Atty General. If you're the Democratic party right now, you're shitting in your pants and not just because Biden's polling numbers are low. In 2013, Democrats were confident that demographic changes translated into inevitability of Democratic party/progressive rule. But today is a reality check, and in fact, it kind of validates something that I have felt for a long, long time: if Republicans could just kick some of their more their overt racism, they could & would dominate politics for decades. A lot of Hispanics and African Americans are actually very, very socially conservative, and even economically conservative.
Meh. Not happening yet.

He is on a roll. Maybe next he will ban teaching semidefinate optimization in grade school.

In other news, Youngkin issues executive order that the sun must rise in the east.

my guess is that you don’t want the truth, but just in case…

Some Democrats even applauded when he shares the facts…

I'm starting to think that mask mandates are just a way for high-neuroticism, low-extraversion types to project their own anxieties on to the rest of society.

But the professionals that actually know something about it seem to think its a good idea though.
What about that? :unsure:
Are they librulls?

If parents want their children to learn CRT or it's "ilk," then they can either teach that at home, find a private school with that indoctrination program, or hire a tutor.

Meanwhile, that racist nonsense should NOT be taught in any "public school" where all taxpayers are required to fund it.

Any teacher found to be doing it anyway should be severely disciplined, and if repeated, then discharged.

A great day for the people of Virginia. The man is going to eliminate politicized agendas from the public schools. I wish him well.
Provide evidence with two or three links to a current or proposed public school k-12 curriculum that promotes CRT or anti-white teachings.

Provide evidence with two or three links to a current or proposed public school k-12 curriculum that promotes CRT or anti-white teachings.
See post 59. It’s literally a couple posts above you…

LOL. A video of some partisan yahoo reading off a computer screen is not evidence that CRT is being taught in public schools. I asked for a link to a current or proposed curriculum.
No one is going to write you a term paper. The “yahoo” gives you what you are asking for. I take it you didn’t watch the video…

"Virginia's Republican Gov. Glenn Youngkin signed 11 executive orders on his first day in office, including one lifting a mask mandate in public schools and another banning the teaching of critical race theory, both issues Youngkin campaigned on."

What a great start!!!!! Unmask our school children!

Critical race theory wasn’t taught in Virginia public schools, so banning it is the equivalent to signing an executive order banning witchcraft in public hospitals.

Unmasking students will just add to the Covid cases. I don’t call that a victory.

Rather a joke but I do understand his actions are click bait for the ill informed far right in Virginia.
Banning the teaching of CRT, something that does not take place in any public school in the US.
And as the infection rate rapidly increases among younger and younger people in the US he orders the removal of mask mandates that have proven effective in limiting the spread of infection.

Lifting the mask mandate in schools: Good.

Banning CRT: Silly political stunt.
My boss just likely got Covid from her kid, who got sick from school where it was spreading. Her school district does not require masking. She's pissed.

Most data has come to show that masks are a precaution that actually does little to prevent an airborne virus. But, Biden and the democrats preach masks and then don't wear them when they should and wear them when it doesn't matter. One mask, two mask, red mask, blue mask.
Study after study of masking in schools shows that they do in fact slow infections.

You’re right, the representative proved CRT is being pushing into schools. I just posted a video…
No he didn't. He just said it was in this state and didn't provide any links or locations for info.

But the professionals that actually know something about it seem to think its a good idea though.
Is that what "the professionals" think? Or is that what the 5 or 6 people who make the rounds on CNN and your Twitter feed think?
What about that? :unsure:
Are they librulls?
Probably, although being liberal isn't sufficient for being a masking nutter. Masking nutters also have to be pretty neurotic. Most of the liberals I know, myself included, just got the vaccine and then stopped wearing the masks anywhere they aren't required. At a certain point you either believe the vaccines work or you don't.

Last edited:
Critical race theory is, of course, stupid nonsense and Democrats who deny its existence or downplay it aren't doing themselves any favors.

But when it comes to banning it, the much greater danger is that some teacher in East Shitsplat, Virginia will run afoul of the law by teaching history as accurately as they can.

It is generally not appropriate for legislatures or governors to micromanage schools that closely, especially since they aren't subject matter experts themselves. They should limit themselves to the big-picture items (e.g. you need 3 units of math and 4 units of English to graduate).

Academic freedom is a principle that is much more important than the controversy-of-the-day in schools.

Clearly, you've never been a "teacher," or things must have gone through some major "changes" since I was one.

Public Schools have academic standards and course requirements. There are typically State provided textbooks, learning goals, and approved lesson plans.

Each teacher will have varying styles, skill levels, and capabilities.

There is of course leeway in presenting materials and information, but extreme deviations are not supposed to occur.

Deviations like segregating students by race, then seeking to shame one group while elevating another.

I taught History, and Life Sciences (Biology, not "Home Economics").

I am appalled at what I have been hearing about what "activist" teachers have been doing in the name of "teaching history."

Indoctrination is a corrupt, evil form of "education," because it's purpose is to control minds, as opposed to informing and truly educating them.

Public Schools have academic standards and course requirements. There are typically State provided textbooks, learning goals, and approved lesson plans.
That's all well and good, but those lesson plans are (as far as I know) generally set in place by a state school board which is often comprised of people who used to be educators themselves. Not by order of the governor.

Indoctrination is a corrupt, evil form of "education," because it's purpose is to control minds, as opposed to informing and truly educating them.
Right, critical race theory is a stupid ideology, no argument there. But a governor banning a topic from schools is itself a form of indoctrination, and I would argue a much more dangerous form of indoctrination than whatever organically works its way into the curriculum over time from a consensus of teachers, academics, and school board members.

Back
Top Bottom