• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Yellen received $800G from hedge fund in Gamestop controversy; WH doesn't commit to recusal

I think it's sort of valid, actually...if one looks at it as a problem in government in general, and doesn't attempt to frame it as one side or the other....which I didn't see in the OP, btw....

There is no question that there is too much corporate influence in North American politics, to where all too often their needs are prioritized over the regular citizen. When one tries to understand how that happens, this does appear to be a likely contributor.

I'm not saying there aren't private sector individuals charging exorbitant amounts of money for speaking engagements...and more power to them, if they have found a market for their thoughts, I'd love to be in their shoes. But it does get a lot more awkward when an elected official is commanding these dues...it's a bad look, and it casts doubt on their ability to do the job they were sent to do, if the needs of the folks they represent clash with the goals of the organizations paying super high fees for "speaking engagements". Not sure knee jerk dismissal is the right reaction here.

The reason it warrants dismissal is the fact that we’re talking about the Treasury Secretary - not the chairman of the SEC. Where’s the conflict of interest?

The reason it warrants dismissal is the fact that we’re talking about the Treasury Secretary - not the chairman of the SEC. Where’s the conflict of interest?

I guess it depends on how you feel about corporate interference in general. I don't think any allegation should be dismissed out of hand, when it comes to corporate interference and government corruption. One would hope that an investigation would show nothing amiss, but I don't think either party has earned the benefit of the doubt. I think everyone needs to get better at making room for self scrutiny. If you're sure you're supporting the "good side", then it shouldn't be worrisome, rather it should be an opportunity to demonstrate that your "side" is the "good side".

At minimum I believe allegations should be investigated. Nobody in government is a saint, therefore all should be subject to vigorous scrutiny, in order to remain answerable to those they actually work for - you. :)

I guess it depends on how you feel about corporate interference in general. I don't think any allegation should be dismissed out of hand, when it comes to corporate interference and government corruption. One would hope that an investigation would show nothing amiss, but I don't think either party has earned the benefit of the doubt. I think everyone needs to get better at making room for self scrutiny. If you're sure you're supporting the "good side", then it shouldn't be worrisome, rather it should be an opportunity to demonstrate that your "side" is the "good side".

At minimum I believe allegations should be investigated. Nobody in government is a saint, therefore all should be subject to vigorous scrutiny, in order to remain answerable to those they actually work for - you. :)

I’m averse to the idea of nebulous investigation for the sake of investigation. Yellen isn’t in a regulatory role so what “corruption” is even being suggested as possible?

Back
Top Bottom