• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Yellen received $800G from hedge fund in Gamestop controversy; WH doesn't commit to recusal

I'm sure the hedge fund never expected she might be appointed again. :rolleyes:
Doesn't matter or not. She was a private citizen at the time. if then or mabye's don't matter. Of course, the hedge fund probably never expected a bunch of reddits to cause them massive losses over them trying to short sell a stock.

At least it is reassuring to know none of the Trump kids would ever, ever take money for a speaking engagement and certainly if they ever did the OP would be similarly outraged.

Reading this thread has been entertaining. First the "orange man bad" stuff, then the "Everybody does it man!" stuff. Hahaha.
No kidding! But it's not funny.

Doesn't matter or not. She was a private citizen at the time. if then or mabye's don't matter. Of course, the hedge fund probably never expected a bunch of reddits to cause them massive losses over them trying to short sell a stock.
$800,000 in speaking fees fairly close to an election where they likely already had a good idea that she was on "the short list" if Biden won is very concerning. I wonder if she ever got similarly obscene amounts of money for speaking fees. $800,000! Infuriating. It doesn't even matter if they had no clue she might be appointed; former politicians and appointees shouldn't be getting paid like that.

$800,000 in speaking fees fairly close to an election where they likely already had a good idea that she was on "the short list" if Biden won is very concerning. I wonder if she ever got similarly obscene amounts of money for speaking fees. $800,000! Infuriating.
2019 is quite a long time away. Of course, when you have to find a mole hill to try to put into a mountain, you will clutch at any straw.

2019 is quite a long time away. Of course, when you have to find a mole hill to try to put into a mountain, you will clutch at any straw.
October 2020 was right before the election. $800,000 isn't a mole hill, it's Capital Hill. Neoliberals!

October 2020 was right before the election. $800,000 isn't a mole hill, it's Capital Hill. Neoliberals!
It was 2019 and 2020. Some was oct 2020.. but it was multiple ones starting in 2019. So, stop giving misinformation.

It was 2019.
It started at the end of 2019 and "ended" in October of 2020.

Quoted in #1:
Yellen's financial disclosure shows her making $337,500 for multiple days in Oct. of 2020 from Citadel. She similarly banked $292,500 in October of 2019 and $180,000 in December of that year.

"Public Servants" like Obama and Clinton have become rich. Democrats have lost their way.

Sorry, bud, I didn't see that in the OP, or the one response he's given in this thread... Let's ask him.

Hey @chuckiechan , do you think this is only a Dem problem, or does it bother you when Republicans do it as well? I think I know you enough to know the answer, but let's just get it out of the way.

I don't know about ChuckieChan but I know lots of Republicans that hate how the establishment wing of the party has its hand out constantly as well as selling out a conservative position for personal gain, it happens entirely too much and then they wonder why they are despised and have a hard time with fund raising and voting enthusiasm.

Democrats have their problem children as well but with Republicans its an entire wing of the party.

Really. What does anyone have to say that is worth $800K? It’s the influence they are selling During the campaign.

Yellen is another grifter grifting.

And so what? She held a speech or two and got paid...

I don't know about ChuckieChan but I know lots of Republicans that hate how the establishment wing of the party has its hand out constantly as well as selling out a conservative position for personal gain, it happens entirely too much and then they wonder why they are despised and have a hard time with fund raising and voting enthusiasm.

Democrats have their problem children as well but with Republicans its an entire wing of the party.

Honestly, I think your entire system has been fully monetized. It's not quite as bad up here yet...but it's definitely getting there. Kinda makes sense why they keep you at each other, when you think of it... Someone's going to admit some day that it was easier to get rich by keeping you all mad at each other, to where you're not noticing what your government is doing, or you're simply not caring. Anyone who still does care, regardless of what side they fall on, are probably your most important citizens right now.

Honestly, I think your entire system has been fully monetized. It's not quite as bad up here yet...but it's definitely getting there. Kinda makes sense why they keep you at each other, when you think of it... Someone's going to admit some day that it was easier to get rich by keeping you all mad at each other, to where you're not noticing what your government is doing, or you're simply not caring. Anyone who still does care, regardless of what side they fall on, are probably your most important citizens right now.

K street is the road to hell in American politics.

K street is the road to hell in American politics.

Yep...which is too bad, because there are lobbyists trying to do good work out there. Sadly, the ones I'd probably support are unlikely to have the budget required to get anywhere. No problem is ever just one problem...

Yep...which is too bad, because there are lobbyists trying to do good work out there. Sadly, the ones I'd probably support are unlikely to have the budget required to get anywhere. No problem is ever just one problem...

Honestly if the work is good and the need is apparent, a lobbyist shouldn't be needed.

Honestly if the work is good and the need is apparent, a lobbyist shouldn't be needed.

You're right...in a perfect world, that's how it would work.

Of course........yeah. Here's to the daydream of a perfect world.

Not really true. there are a million things going on in the country, elected officials can never know about all of them without some way for the information to get to them.

Not really true. there are a million things going on in the country, elected officials can never know about all of them without some way for the information to get to them.

That's what constituent outreach is for and should be the primary expense of any Congress Rep or Senator.

You're right...in a perfect world, that's how it would work.

Of course........yeah. Here's to the daydream of a perfect world.
In a perfect world the redditors would break those hedge fund managers until they cry and short selling goes back to being the risk it should be. Honestly, hedge fund short sellers are a net drain on not just the company but the other investors, employees within the company, bond holders--they honestly just hose over everyone else to play financial Russian roulette with companies.

In a perfect world the redditors would break those hedge fund managers until they cry and short selling goes back to being the risk it should be. Honestly, hedge fund short sellers are a net drain on not just the company but the other investors, employees within the company, bond holders--they honestly just hose over everyone else to play financial Russian roulette with companies.

It's kind of easy to see it all as part of one big problem... I've talked irreverently about the "American dream" here before, and I know, I know, dem's fightin' words. But it's always said with a touch of sympathy...I'd say pity, but I'm already pushing my luck with the fighting words...hehe... Your system seems rather stacked against all but those with a very specific set of advantages, and for them it's greased lightning.

What I never understand is how a group of people as fierce and tenacious as you Americans ever let it get this way. (Again, not meant as a diss) I have got to imagine greed was a part of it at some point, but given the divide I don't see how that can still hold true today, for the vast vast majority of Americans.

What I never understand is how a group of people as fierce and tenacious as you Americans ever let it get this way. (Again, not meant as a diss) I have got to imagine greed was a part of it at some point, but given the divide I don't see how that can still hold true today, for the vast vast majority of Americans.

The divide has been cultivated slowly over decades. It is the old pot in the pot of slowly boiling water scenario. A divided populous is far easier to control. As long as we are fighting each other, those in power can do whatever the hell they like....which we have seen.

none of this happened by accident.

The divide has been cultivated slowly over decades. It is the old pot in the pot of slowly boiling water scenario. A divided populous is far easier to control. As long as we are fighting each other, those in power can do whatever the hell they like....which we have seen.

none of this happened by accident.

I'd agree...but it has truly been laid bare over the last decade, and especially over the last four years. You'd think being able to see behind the curtain would break the spell... Sadly you guys are still playing into that whole us vs. them thing, even as you are realizing the cost of that. Can't say for sure it's unique, but I've never seen it happen so blatantly, and to such an important country.

I'd agree...but it has truly been laid bare over the last decade, and especially over the last four years. You'd think being able to see behind the curtain would break the spell... Sadly you guys are still playing into that whole us vs. them thing, even as you are realizing the cost of that. Can't say for sure it's unique, but I've never seen it happen so blatantly, and to such an important country.

Yeah, it has gotten far worse far faster than I imagined possible.

Really. What does anyone have to say that is worth $800K? It’s the influence they are selling During the campaign.

Yellen is another grifter grifting.
Why do you think that people making money on speeches is news?

Lol - imagine being the poor soul tasked with trying to explain hedge funds, Robin Hood, and GameSpot to Joe Biden.
or a pandemic and chemistry/medicine to Donald Trump.

Back
Top Bottom