• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Yellen received $800G from hedge fund in Gamestop controversy; WH doesn't commit to recusal

Yeah, it has gotten far worse far faster than I imagined possible.

Yep...and it seems deliberately designed to make blinking first impossible.

I talk a lot of shit, but I'm worried about you guys. I'd love to say I had some brilliant notion, but I struggle to find any hypothetical that doesn't involve an impossible amount of compromise.

Ah well, I think I'll go make myself feel better by buying this year's iPhone, and a cup of $20 coffee from Starbucks. ;)

Yep...and it seems deliberately designed to make blinking first impossible.

I talk a lot of shit, but I'm worried about you guys. I'd love to say I had some brilliant notion, but I struggle to find any hypothetical that doesn't involve an impossible amount of compromise.

Ah well, I think I'll go make myself feel better by buying this year's iPhone, and a cup of $20 coffee from Starbucks. ;)

I do as well, because for governance to work you need compromise. The move to a zero sum game political strategy does not bode well. Often, there will be some kind of sobering moment where things get to the point where people are forced to step back and question the approach. I am hoping the 2020 election fiasco will be that moment, but if it isn't, then I agree we're in for tougher times ahead.

The money from the speech isn't the news, the possible conflict of interest is the news.

Is there a conflict of interest now because someone paid you to do something 3 or 2 or 1 years ago?

Is there a conflict of interest now because someone paid you to do something 3 or 2 or 1 years ago?
If you take money from someone and then act on their behalf by using the government to do it---yes, I believe so.

I do as well, because for governance to work you need compromise. The move to a zero sum game political strategy does not bode well. Often, there will be some kind of sobering moment where things get to the point where people are forced to step back and question the approach. I am hoping the 2020 election fiasco will be that moment, but if it isn't, then I agree we're in for tougher times ahead.

Honestly, I see your biggest obstacle being what has traditionally been your greatest strength - your whole melting pot thing you've got going on down there. Everyone wants to define what being "an American" is, and they want to see their reflection in that definition. The problem is, there's only room enough in the mirror for them, which means anyone NOT like them MUST be un-American - a rather inflammatory allegation to those who feel the exact same way. I'd wager that this sentiment alone has driven a massive amount of division over most of your timeline, and what you're seeing now is modern psychological and technological weaponization of this long standing reality.

It's no wonder why both parties are condemning radicals, as it will require a radical shift in thought to escape this hamster wheel.

Honestly, I see your biggest obstacle being what has traditionally been your greatest strength - your whole melting pot thing you've got going on down there. Everyone wants to define what being "an American" is, and they want to see their reflection in that definition. The problem is, there's only room enough in the mirror for them, which means anyone NOT like them MUST be un-American - a rather inflammatory allegation to those who feel the exact same way. I'd wager that this sentiment alone has driven a massive amount of division over most of your timeline, and what you're seeing now is modern psychological and technological weaponization of this long standing reality.

It's no wonder why both parties are condemning radicals, as it will require a radical shift in thought to escape this hamster wheel.
I guess that‘s why I am now called a “cultist”!

I guess that‘s why I am now called a “cultist”!

In a society where few want to do the dirty work of self scrutiny, you're all "cultists" to some extent... ;)

In my opinion, of course... It's just the way it looks from up here.

I would say Trumpism is the epitome of this phenomenon. But I'm starting to come around to the idea that Trumpists deserve a little slack, if only because they are nothing more than an extreme version of what's pretty normal in America. I don't make room for the movement or their rhetoric, but I don't like the "unforgiveable" status for those wishing to walk it back a bit. Neither of those things will help.

I am of the opinion that only rehumanizing each other will lead to a United States of America. To be sure, there's a lot more work to do than just that...but I don't think you can start it until that's accomplished. Of course, you'll need to tell your government to STFU for a sec...I can't imagine it's easy to think, with them telling you guys to hate each other all the time.

this is the era when we all really get to see the integrity of Trump Republicans.

In a society where few want to do the dirty work of self scrutiny, you're all "cultists" to some extent... ;)

In my opinion, of course... It's just the way it looks from up here.

I would say Trumpism is the epitome of this phenomenon. But I'm starting to come around to the idea that Trumpists deserve a little slack, if only because they are nothing more than an extreme version of what's pretty normal in America. I don't make room for the movement or their rhetoric, but I don't like the "unforgiveable" status for those wishing to walk it back a bit. Neither of those things will help.

I am of the opinion that only rehumanizing each other will lead to a United States of America. To be sure, there's a lot more work to do than just that...but I don't think you can start it until that's accomplished. Of course, you'll need to tell your government to STFU for a sec...I can't imagine it's easy to think, with them telling you guys to hate each other all the time.

I keep saying it: Conservatives believe Progressives are wrong, Progressives believe Conservatives are evil.

I don't need to rehumanize Democrats, I just think they are wrong about a lot of the policy they support. For that, I'm called everything from a cultist to a traitor to an insurrectionist.

I keep saying it: Conservatives believe Progressives are wrong, Progressives believe Conservatives are evil.

I don't need to rehumanize Democrats, I just think they are wrong about a lot of the policy they support. For that, I'm called everything from a cultist to a traitor to an insurrectionist.

You might be speaking for yourself....just sayin'. Between here and the greater world of social media, the hatred of the Left by the Right is as potent as anything in reverse.

To be clear, I'm not a fan of generalization - obviously different people are going to go to different extremes... But trying to quantify a difference at the macro level at this point is getting to be very difficult, if you have nothing to lose through seeing things objectively.

A recusal would be a cure to the ethical issue but its already been rejected.

A recusal from what? What exactly is the Secretary of the Treasury going to recuse themselves from,?

The money from the speech isn't the news, the possible conflict of interest is the news.
What conflict? Will they be doing direct business with one another?

A recusal from what? What exactly is the Secretary of the Treasury going to recuse themselves from,?

Quite frankly you are asking a stupid ****ing question. The Sec of the Treasury chairs the working group which includes the SEC. If there is a decision to be made regarding this issue she can influence it on the side of the short selling scumbags.

A recusal would remove any hint of an ethical lapse. ANY.

What conflict? Will they be doing direct business with one another?
Oy vey does defending leftists breed ignorance? See above post. Yellen is in a direct position to influence how the SEC makes new rules regarding this, should they do so.

Oy vey does defending leftists breed ignorance? See above post. Yellen is in a direct position to influence how the SEC makes new rules regarding this, should they do so.
Meh...seems alot of straining at gnats.

I get the feeling we'll be seeing much of that the next four years.

Meh...seems alot of straining at gnats.

I get the feeling we'll be seeing much of that the next four years.

Ok, Citadel, which owns Robinhood, already broke contract with every user by restricting app use. What should happen is they get fined by the SEC for trading breach and are open to a lawsuit.

The SEC did nothing. Its already happened. The hedge funds are the real customer for RH and they acted to protect them and Yellen did nothing for a breach of contract to every app user and illegally limiting trade on the app.

Ok, Citadel, which owns Robinhood, already broke contract with every user by restricting app use. What should happen is they get fined by the SEC for trading breach and are open to a lawsuit.

The SEC did nothing. Its already happened. The hedge funds are the real customer for RH and they acted to protect them and Yellen did nothing for a breach of contract to every app user and illegally limiting trade on the app.

Does the SEC typically hand out fines in less than a week from an incident happening?

Does the SEC typically hand out fines in less than a week from an incident happening?
Time will tell, users have already filed suit. A fine could have already been handed out as the breach is clear and easily defined.

Time will tell, users have already filed suit. A fine could have already been handed out as the breach is clear and easily defined.

There is a large class action suit in the works that I will be a a part of.

Really. What does anyone have to say that is worth $800K? It’s the influence they are selling During the campaign.

Yellen is another grifter grifting.
Yet another rightist tossing around words he doesn't know the meaning of just because he likes how they sound.

There's a tax deduction for hiring speakers??
Who knew? And who knew you could launder money by paying it to those speakers? I guess the fee was in twenties stuffed into a hockey bag, and returned by cheque.

Back
Top Bottom