• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Yale University Name Change?

Should Yale University be Renamed because its Founder was a Slave Trader?

• Total voters

jcgriff2

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Since the left wants all physical structures of slavery removed, shouldn't Yale University be renamed since its founder was a slave owner and slave trader?

Wiki - Elihu Yale - Wikipedia

I of course can't find anything in Yale's biography at the Yale site stating that he was a slave owner or trader.

Last edited:
Since the left wants all physical structures of slavery removed, shouldn't Yale University be renamed since its founder was a slave trader?

Wiki - Elihu Yale wiki - Bing

I of course can't find anything in Yale's biography at the Yale site stating that he was a slave trader.

Yale-for most of the last 50 years-had 12 residential colleges which are essentially glorified dorms-with libraries, game rooms, dining halls and academic deans (the dean of your college is who you see if you have to miss an exam or have other emergencies). Recently, two were added. However, a few years ago, one College, named after Yale Grad John Calhoun (and Calhoun is listed as one of Yale's "Eight worthies") was renamed due to PC pressure.

Since the left wants all physical structures of slavery removed, shouldn't Yale University be renamed since its founder was a slave trader?

Wiki - Elihu Yale wiki - Bing

I of course can't find anything in Yale's biography at the Yale site stating that he was a slave trader.

I personally find Georgetown's model of reparations to be fantastic. Georgetown sold the slaves that built that university, and have recently begun a project looking for ancestors of those slaves. Those ancestors will receive tuition from the school. Not perfect, but I like the sentiment.
Georgetown reparations plan for slaves sold by university draws criticism from students | America Magazine

Since the left wants all physical structures of slavery removed, shouldn't Yale University be renamed since its founder was a slave owner and slave trader?

I of course can't find anything in Yale's biography at the Yale site stating that he was a slave owner or trader.

Well that’s odd.

Elihu Yale - Wikipedia

On 5 April 1999, Yale University recognized the 350th anniversary of Yale's birthday. An article that year in American Heritage magazine rated Elihu Yale the "most overrated philanthropist" in American history, arguing that the college that became Yale University was successful largely because of the generosity of a man named Jeremiah Dummer, but that the trustees of the school did not want it known by the name "Dummer College".

:lol:

You going to take credit for this, like you've never heard anyone mention it before? :lol:

#CancelYale: University Founder Called Out for Being a Racist Slave Trader in East India Company

Yale should change its name if the people in charge of making that decision determine Yale's name should be changed.

So... other.

Yeah, they'll let anybody in Yale. It's not really that impressive anymore. :lol: I mean - once I found out that Kavanaugh graduated from there, among others - just kind of, I don't know - didn't impress me much anymore.

Yeah, they'll let anybody in Yale. It's not really that impressive anymore. :lol: I mean - once I found out that Kavanaugh graduated from there, among others - just kind of, I don't know - didn't impress me much anymore.

yeah the man graduated on the Yale Law School's law journal and is now a Supreme Court Justice but because you have a hard on for him, you complain about the school. Oh and you don't like the fact I went there either which is what that stupid attack is about.

yeah the man graduated on the Yale Law School's law journal and is now a Supreme Court Justice but because you have a hard on for him, you complain about the school. Oh and you don't like the fact I went there either which is what that stupid attack is about.

giphy.gif

Not only no, but **** no.

Yes, and the Democratic Party should change its name. NO organization's name more means slavery and racism than the word "Democratic."

Should Yale change its name to "Wish we were Harvard"?

Should Yale change its name to "Wish we were Harvard"?

Yale college is generally ranked ahead of Harvard's undergraduate college. So is Yale Law vs Harvard. Where Harvard shines is its MBA school, its Medical School and some of its graduate programs. I used to always hear that Yale was the best college while Harvard was the stronger overall university.

Yale college is generally ranked ahead of Harvard's undergraduate college. So is Yale Law vs Harvard. Where Harvard shines is its MBA school, its Medical School and some of its graduate programs. I used to always hear that Yale was the best college while Harvard was the stronger overall university.

I myself have always preferred Princeton, in spite of my one cousin having 3 degrees (including his JD) from Yale, his wife holding 2 from there and his brother having one from the U of Penn...the daughter of the Eli's ended up at Columbia, and the son at U of Chicago,(the obvious disappointment :lol:) heh, go figure...:shrug:

I myself have always preferred Princeton, in spite of my one cousin having 3 degrees (including his JD) from Yale, his wife holding 2 from there and his brother having one from the U of Penn...the daughter of the Eli's ended up at Columbia, and the son at U of Chicago,(the obvious disappointment :lol:) heh, go figure...:shrug:

Princeton is a wonderful school- I spent a week in the dorms in June of 81 for the US Open in table tennis played at Jadwyn gymnasium. I didn't know many Princeton people as I did Harvard grads though.

Because it's all over the news over the last few days? :lol:

I watch ABC World News Tonight for 17 minutes until the first commercial -- rarely ever the 3 cable political stations.

I never heard nor saw a story on Yale.

I watch ABC World News Tonight for 17 minutes until the first commercial -- rarely ever the 3 cable political stations.

I never heard nor saw a story on Yale.

Google is your friend. I don’t watch any news on TV, unless it’s breaking news. They are all paid entertainers and nothing more.

Google is your friend. I don’t watch any news on TV, unless it’s breaking news. They are all paid entertainers and nothing more.

OK then... why the hell would I Google Yale when I don't have any ties to Yale and could care less about it?

Obviously you care enough to start a thread about it. :lol: You did start this thread, remember? About Yale?

That I do remember because I thought that it was a new topic that others were unaware of.

I don't start threads just to hear myself talk; nor do I at my forum either.

Last edited by a moderator:

How about the University of Georgia? There are several states' names that must be offensive.

The NAACP has the description "Colored People" in the name. Shouldn't that organization be disbanded?

The Democrat Party was the party that helped to establish the KKK and in truth used the KKK as a Farm Team to develop talent. Seems like the Democrat Party needs to be abolished.

Several Pro Sports teams are blighted by offensive names that need to changed and perhaps disband the franchises and have the entire roster of current and past players beheaded:

Vikings. Raiders. Pirates. Buccaneers. Cowboys. Texans. Patriots. 49ers. Braves. Reds. Indians. Redskins. Chiefs. Royals (RU KIDDING?). Angels. Padres. Cardinals. Saints. Brewers. Yankees. Rangers. Nationals. Giants. Titans.

The lists go on and on. In truth, the lists of the lists go and on. How can anyone hear the name "Columbus" and not quiver in fear?

Can anyone hear the name "Washington" and not be reduced to a terrified shuddering mass of outraged jello?

What a load of crap!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom