• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would You Support A National Divorce?

If it were feasible to divide the country in two and let Republicans go their way and Democrats go their way, would you support it?

One country would lead the way in Conservative Principles and the other country would lead the way in Liberal/Progressive Values.

If this were to happen, would each country STILL devolve into two political parties (liberal vs progressive for example)(libertarian vs. conservative for example) that still fight each other? Or, do you think each side would finally reach the utopian vision they value?
This is part of the problem. Most people are not the extremes. Most people are mellow, fair minded and use common sense.

One country would lead the way in Conservative Principles and the other country would lead the way in Liberal/Progressive Values.
Well, as a test case I think we can safely say the nation's urban centers are almost uniformly governed by "Liberal/Progressive Values." How's it going?

If it were feasible to divide the country in two and let Republicans go their way and Democrats go their way, would you support it?
Absolutely not.
Doubtful. One would lead the way in being a corrupt, bloated bureaucracy like the EU, and the other would lead the way in being a xenophobic, autocratic pariah state like Russia.
If this were to happen, would each country STILL devolve into two political parties (liberal vs progressive for example)(libertarian vs. conservative for example) that still fight each other?
The blue states would still have two parties for the Bernie Bros to squabble with the Joe Manchins. The red states might only have one...I guess it depends if their recent hostility to democracy would become entrenched or dissipate without liberals to compete against.
Or, do you think each side would finally reach the utopian vision they value?
The country already has plenty of examples of one-party rule, and they mostly don't look very utopian to me.

I lived in SF for three years, and homelessness, crime, and high housing costs are worse than ever. Not exactly the liberal vision. Similarly, I doubt many conservatives look to Mississippi and Alabama as models of great governance.

I don't want to divide the country. I would rather people chill out and stop fighting with the other party.

For starters, I doubt you could get a majority within any one State to agree amongst themselves much less people in 50 States. People who truly think this would have any chance at all of being a good social or economic move for any State are not only a minority but a pretty dumb minority. Even if you could, good luck with figuring out how especially when it comes to little things like money, national debt, Medicare and social security, access to ports......pesky details like that.

Would You Support A National Divorce?​

Nope
the country is to purple

I'm talking the majority of NORMAL people
yes they don't all agree with each other but they are still purple

if the nutters and extremists want to leave they are free to do so

But we'll be sticking with rights, freedoms and democracy and improving those things along the way.
Those against that are SOL

If this were to happen, would each country STILL devolve into two political parties (liberal vs progressive for example)(libertarian vs. conservative for example) that still fight each other? Or, do you think each side would finally reach the utopian vision they value?

No, I would support a total dissolution of the union, or at least not stopping each state from choosing whether they leave the union or stay. I would hope Florida would become its own country, allied with other countries.

Nope
the country is to purple

I'm talking the majority of NORMAL people
yes they don't all agree with each other but they are still purple

if the nutters and extremists want to leave they are free to do so

But we'll be sticking with rights, freedoms and democracy and improving those things along the way.
Those against that are SOL
If we're talking strictly hypotheticals this is the better solution. Set aside a piece of land and let extremists on both sides go there to squabble over it.

If we're talking strictly hypotheticals this is the better solution. Set aside a piece of land and let extremists on both sides go there to squabble over it.
pay per view cage match? dual to the death then we abandon the winner on a deserted island

There are liberals and conservatives in every state. It's a matter of percentages. Most are between 60/40 and 50/50, well at least voting wise. I would be more liberals are in all states. So there would be no way to split. And I'd prefer republcians not be selfish assholes who believe propaganda over facts, who shit on the rest of the country except those like them, but that's humanity for you

I'd prefer to get the hell out of this shitty country of greed, full of morons, to a place where the government works for the people and no the uber wealthy. But its not easy to move, so I'm stuck dealing with the inevidtable slide to becoming Afghanistan republicans and their base of deplorables are leading us to

Last edited:
How do you intend to feed this new liberal paradise of yours?

From buying the food. You know capitalism, the buying and selling of goods. If the red areas did. It sell to the blue areas they would not have money to plant next year. Then the blue area banks would foreclose on the farms and run them as corporate farms with lots of automation

The conservative country would be broke in a decade. They can't survive without blue state funding.

An impossible proposition......
What's concerning is that everyone so far has been for it. It's ridiculous, of course, but at least the political junkies are ready to give up trying to work or live together.

I don't want to divide the country. I would rather people chill out and stop fighting with the other party.
Agreed.

Like Hell it would.
67% of the Republicans STILL adore Trump.
You're calling that "conservative?"

I guarantee you, real actual conservatives will FLEE this so called "Conservative Republic" as fast as their legs could carry them.
This is what those states would become.

A genocidal theocracy.

There is another way: Transfer the bulk of power back to the states and reduce the power of the federal government over the daily lives of the people as much as possible. Isn't that how the government was originally designed? You can even decentralize further and transfer power down to the county level for most local stuff. Let citizens decide whether to live in blue counties or red counties.

Are they? I actually think el rushbo dittoheads werent just playfully rimming.
I don't know who they are but the sound Extreme to me...

No.

As much as it would tickle my blackguard's heart to see Texas become a failed narcostate, Florida begging Mexico and the UN to save it from rising oceans, and the Old Confederacy devouring itself in a pique of sectarian violence over the exegetically correct way to stone homosexuals, Jews and other minions of His Infernal Majesty, no. Too many poor stranded victims left behind in Talibornagainistan, to justify the schadenfreude.

There is another way: Transfer the bulk of power back to the states and reduce the power of the federal government over the daily lives of the people as much as possible. Isn't that how the government was originally designed? You can even decentralize further and transfer power down to the county level for most local stuff. Let citizens decide whether to live in blue counties or red counties.
It was originally designed to put down uprisings, take Indian land, hold men in bondage, and generally make things easy for mercantile interests.

In certain ways it would not work very well. What would be legal in one county could be illegal in another. The ease of travel between counties would be a nightmare for people who legally bought something in one then went to another where it was illegal

Back
Top Bottom