• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would You Support A National Divorce?

Time is taking care of the boomers and silent generation… Future voters are more liberal..

The younger generation is always liberal but what's the quote...

"Anyone who is not a republican at twenty casts doubt on the generosity of his soul; but he who, after thirty years, perseveres, casts doubt on the soundness of his mind.”

Humans and utopia are mutually exclusive of one another.

I'm going to have to disagree here.

I'm not going to claim utopia will happen in our lifetime or be easy but I think it's entirely possible.
If humanity ever manages to make energy in vast quantities freely available to everyone and we invent some kind of replicator technology then we can become a post-scarcity society.

This idea has been thought of and put into many science fiction stories and hopefully will allow everyone to do things they want to do rather than jobs that are just jobs.

Again I'm not saying this will happen soon, just that it's seen as a possible future for our species.

Well, I live in New England. We'd be fine. But, again, no. My schadenfreude for Tejas is strong. Just not that strong.

Either we split peacefully and amicably, or it's only a matter of time before the Democrats begin overtly ostracizing "deplorables" from society - and worse.

The final stages are beginning the same as in Nazi Germany. Ostracize, deny employment, disarm, deny freedom of movement, etc.

We can have "freedom convoys" and stomp our feet, but at the end of the day it's the Democrats who control the government.

Genocide is coming, it's only a matter of time.

If it were feasible to divide the country in two and let Republicans go their way and Democrats go their way, would you support it?

One country would lead the way in Conservative Principles and the other country would lead the way in Liberal/Progressive Values.

If this were to happen, would each country STILL devolve into two political parties (liberal vs progressive for example)(libertarian vs. conservative for example) that still fight each other? Or, do you think each side would finally reach the utopian vision they value?

Stop and think about it for a moment.

This place is divided into 50 pieces, not just two.

But the left's need to create such a huge administrative (and overbearing) state is creating the current problem.

I sure hope we don't split, but you know that the tyranny of the left can only go so far before.....

If it were feasible to divide the country in two and let Republicans go their way and Democrats go their way, would you support it?

One country would lead the way in Conservative Principles and the other country would lead the way in Liberal/Progressive Values.

If this were to happen, would each country STILL devolve into two political parties (liberal vs progressive for example)(libertarian vs. conservative for example) that still fight each other? Or, do you think each side would finally reach the utopian vision they value?

The country is currently split into 50. There's no need for a "divorce," just for people in CA to mind their own damn business about what people TX want to do, and visa versa. We don't need every second of our lives controlled by Washington.

Are you even aware that more than 640,000 Americans lost their lives fighting to prevent what you are suggesting?

A new low in country music. The wife leaves, the dog dies, the guy loses his job and then... he divorces society to show them who is boss.

Losers know no bottom.

Where are liberals going to get all the tax dollars to give away?

Are you even aware that more than 640,000 Americans lost their lives fighting to prevent what you are suggesting?

......including the Confederate dead in that number is rather weird given that, you know, they were fighting to secede in order to protect slavery.

There is another way: Transfer the bulk of power back to the states and reduce the power of the federal government over the daily lives of the people as much as possible. Isn't that how the government was originally designed? You can even decentralize further and transfer power down to the county level for most local stuff. Let citizens decide whether to live in blue counties or red counties.

You make a really good point.

Where are liberals going to get all the tax dollars to give away?

The same place Europe gets its tax money to give to its citizens.
By actually taxing the rich and companies.

Silly idea. Never happen.

Those trumpers just need to crawl back under the rock they crawled out of.

Trump created a monster when he legitimized racism. Got him to the white house though. What does that say about America?

A voter picks Obama over Hillary because of his anti-war stance and it's "America Is No Longer Racist."

That same voter picks Trump over Hillary because of his anti-war stance it's "America Is Racist."

No

Divorce often is the easier option than compromose.

America has been this divided before, it's nothing new. The only thing new is the unwillingness to compromise.

no because everyday people aren't really that far off and different
again since everyday conservatives and democrates arent that different that's not what the other country would be, one country would be country of nutters left and right
yes the nutters and it would fail because like the nutters already prove they don't care about the country or rights or democracy just their feelings

The same place Europe gets its tax money to give to its citizens.
By actually taxing the rich and companies.
Good luck with that stupid idea. If I were you I'd check on your assumption about Europe. It doesn't amount to much of the revenue. Plus it's an outright lie to the rest of the citizens, who really pay most of the taxes.

Good luck with that stupid idea. If I were you I'd check on your assumption about Europe. It doesn't amount to much of the revenue. Plus it's an outright lie to the rest of the citizens, who really pay most of the taxes.

Oh yes, taxing the rich and large companies, what a stupid idea.

What was I thinking?

Much better to just let billionaires put billions in bank accounts instead and let companies do stock buybacks so the rich get even richer as they're the main stockholders.
You really have been fully brainwashed into the trickle down fantasy.

Splitting the country along lines of political ideology - whether geographically or socially - is a terrible idea. Conservatism and Liberalism need each other to balance their respective excesses, and to rectify each other's shortcomings. They are Yin and Yang. We get the best solutions to problems usually from a blend of both approaches. No one is right all the time in every circumstance. Big Government liberalsim of the 1960s had its success and shortcomings, as did the smaller government Reagan era.

Good governance is learning by doiing, trial by error, taking what works, learning what you can from your failures, and moving on. It's working together, compromising for the greater good, putting Country before Party; that's what Dems and Reps used to do. It is childish, unself-reflective and ahistorical to believe that everything will be fine if your opponent is out of the picture.

If we're talking strictly hypotheticals this is the better solution. Set aside a piece of land and let extremists on both sides go there to squabble over it.
Who is John Galt?
(He's an asshole, dear)

Atlas Shrugged Farce.jpg

MAP: US GDP Concentration1,000 × 768

How do you divide this country?

With respect:

Do you have the link to this? I strongly suspect that it's very misleading, in several ways (the worship of GDP being the first).

I'm thinking that this just shows that the "blue states support red states" line is based on 90-plus percent of the wealth is concentrated in tiny geographical pockets. And that it's very similar to the 99% and 1% split; that it illustrates wealth inequality, which isn't a good thing.

It looks like a lot of the orange locations are ports.

With respect:

Do you have the link to this? I strongly suspect that it's very misleading, in several ways (the worship of GDP being the first).

This is a different map but ultimately says the same thing:

I'm thinking that this just shows that the "blue states support red states" line is based on 90-plus percent of the wealth is concentrated in tiny geographical pockets. And that it's very similar to the 99% and 1% split; that it illustrates wealth inequality, which isn't a good thing.

Yes and no. A country of sufficient size will never have all regions who are economically equivalent because not all territory is equal.

It looks like a lot of the orange locations are ports.

Yes, locations of international trade are bound to be wealthier than regions with limited to no natural resources.

Yeah, nooooope. Both parties are chock full of corrupt, militant right-wing authoritarians who have no respect for our Constitutional human and civil rights and pretty much the only thing that keeps either of these cliques of tyrannical kleptocrats from running roughshod all over the idiots who support them is each other.

As long as both parties treat the full list of our inalienable rights as a multiple-choice quiz, I have a very powerful vested interest in making sure they're both armed operational. Of course, I'm still sitting here saying "nice doggie" and looking for a nice big rock for that blessed day when there's a credible American political party that realizes the Bill of Rights isn't a cafeteria menu they can select from a la carte.

Back
Top Bottom