• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would you support a ban on Russian oil if it resulted in a temporary increase in gas prices?

Would you support a ban on Russian oil if it resulted in a temporary increase in gas prices?

• Total voters
I would also, as a matter of national emergency, repeal any administrative rules passed in the last year which interfere with maximum production in the US

I would also, as a matter of national emergency, repeal any administrative rules passed in the last year which interfere with maximum production in the US
Which would those be?

If the US stopped buying Russian oil it would have zero impact and would be a symbolic act

Would you support the U.S. imposing a ban on Russian oil imports if it resulted in a temporary increase in gas prices?

I voted yes, but it has already been happening to the maximum extent possible without raising gas to over $4 per gallon. Now it is $3.80 per gallon with a partial Russian oil ban.

Inflation is only going to get worse...but they have something new to blame it on. It used to be COVID. Now, it's Russia.

And don't put it past them to sanction Russian oil. They are still considering it.
I saw that, but I think it is only because they weren't expecting to be called out for their hypocrisy from non-conservative mainstream media. If that hadn't happened they would have been happy to continue funding the Putin war effort.

Would you support the U.S. imposing a ban on Russian oil imports if it resulted in a temporary increase in gas prices?

The choices are very complex, so read carefully:

1) Yes
2) No
Yes!

1) Yes
2) No

Where is "other", Cardinal? Where is "other"?????

123c0f58430127188ceee49f38c67071.gif

...and my answer is yes.

Best I can give is a big fat 'maybe'. Unfortunately, this is a terrible time to commit to this because we already have well fueled inflation rates, and rising energy costs, with no clue how to successfully fight them without causing a recession. We know that there are still severe problems with the export and import supply chain, backlogs at the ports, the likelihood of severe drought / storm damage to seasonal farm crops coming this spring and summer, and rising wages all of which will drive up food and fuel costs.

I honestly don't know if we can commit to 'staying the course' if we are talking about adding to inflationary pressures through the spring and summer. Not a lot is crueller on a low-income family's budget than double digit inflation and virtually none of our poverty fighting programs is tethered to automatic inflation adjustments. I can guarantee you that it will be our poorest of Americans and those on fixed incomes who will be paying the price, bearing the real burden here.

Yes. Bidenflation already had prices sky high. What’s another $1 a gallon?

Don't think it would change much. We're not that dependent on Russian oil. It might be just around here in Florida, but I'm fed up with people whining about gas prices. The cost per week jumps 5-7 dollars, one hears the "Oh My God"...then they spend 4 times that much in Starbucks.
I've told several of them to STFU. I mean, Mexico's gas is higher than ours....

1) Yes
2) No

I have answered yes because I also want my country to ban the import of both Russian oil and Russian gas. No more fossil fuels from Russia/Putin's oil buddies. No more Gazprom, no more anything from Russia. Since the downing of MH17 (and didn't really do it much before) is tank fuel from any petrol station that has Russian links.

And remember, I am already paying MUCH MUCH more than US citizens pay for gasoline. I say NO to Russia or any business or product coming from it. Damn the costs.

I am voting yes, with two assumptions:

1. As @ALiberalModerate pointed out, doing so doesn't cause horrific damage to third-party nations who may not be able to sustain those damages without severe losses.
2. We implement a policy of seeking to increase domestic energy production to match or supersede what was lost to help make sure that "temporary" is actually Temporary.

I am voting yes, with two assumptions:

1. As @ALiberalModerate pointed out, doing so doesn't cause horrific damage to third-party nations who may not be able to sustain those damages without severe losses.
2. We implement a policy of seeking to increase domestic energy production to match or supersede what was lost to help make sure that "temporary" is actually Temporary.

The idea behind placing severe economic sanctions on Russia is to make Putin (and thus his planned military adventures) temporary.

The idea behind placing severe economic sanctions on Russia is to make Putin (and thus his planned military adventures) temporary.
Those military adventures in Ukraine are probably going to be ongoing for a long time. How "temporary" is "temporary"?

Those military adventures in Ukraine are probably going to be ongoing for a long time. How "temporary" is "temporary"?

That likely depends on how bad things get in Russia and for Putin’s oligarch buddies.

Irrelevant.

All we need to do is produce our own oil and we won't have to worry about Russian oil.

But that's not what the Biden pukes will do. They will cause an increase in ALL energy prices...not just gas...because they want us to abandon oil. They not only don't give a rat's ass if prices increase, it's what they want.

btw, energy...oil...affects EVERYTHING in our lives. Not just gas for our vehicles. Increased energy prices makes EVERYTHING more expensive. It's called "inflation".
The Biden administration is already taking these steps. They have outpaced the Trump administration in issuing drilling permits, in fact.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2022/01/27/oil-gas-leasing-biden-climate/

It's more than "gas prices", it's diesel fuel that's gonna kill you.

I own a small trucking company... saw diesel at $5.10/gal in one place!!

Freight is slowing down - not as many loads, and the prices are going up.

Everything you buy is hauled by a truck, so everything you buy is going to cost more.

I've been trying to warn everyone - rationing is coming at some point. Maybe not in this go-round, but rationing is always a goal of authoritarians.

It will most likely come during Biden's term.

Thus the word temporary has no meaning.

Possibly. Let me check on that. I'll get back to you in a brief while, yet to be determined.

Need a minute
Take the time
Need an hour
Baby, you can borrow mine

I got all the time in the world. - The Subdudes

The greatest deficiency of the posting on this forum stems from a lack of curiousity resulting in an aversion to ready and to research.

The foremost impact from Russian petroleum being taken off the market is from Russian companies comprising the top three
refined petroleum exporters
in the world with refining capacity of the top three. Russia exports between 2 and 3 million bbls of
refined product per day.

Resulting from limited worldwide refining capacity from lack of investment aggravated by a strategy to limit supply, especially in the
U.S., the challenge to make up for that lost capacity cannot be relieved by increased availability of crude oil.

The "crack spread" has a dynamic of its own. Gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel will be priced in reaction to availability determined
by non-Russian refined product export levels and internal U.S. refinery output, not by a $90 crude oil vs. $115...

"Putin" does not receive the cashflow from Russian exported refined product, private corporations do.

Back to the problem of the corrupting influence of capitalism... it is complicated, too complicated for the reactionary posters of this
forum to want to attempt to grasp. All of the RWE politicians demanding boycott of Russian petroleum exports, including Manchin,
represent energy producing states. They want higher prices!

It does not say, state OWNED,

Russian oligarch's super yacht seized - BBC News

https://www.bbc.com › news › business-60604206
1 day ago — A yacht owned by Igor Sechin, boss of Russian state energy company Rosneft, was grabbed by French customs officers near Marseille.

The U.S. will not sanction Schroder, the former Chancellor of Germany, nor other former European Union countries high ranking elected
officials who "pepper" the board rooms of Russian domeciled, publicly traded corporations!

Rosneft Hopes Schroder Can Improve Foreign Relations

https://www.energyintel.com › ...
17 hours ago — Speaking at the shareholders meeting, Rosneft CEO Igor Sechin -- who is personally blacklisted under US sanctions -- characterized Schroder ...

"Rosneft owns and operates seven large refineries in Russia with an aggregate annual capacity of 372 million barrels (59.1 million cubic metres) and four mini-refineries. The refineries are able to process about 45% of crude oil produced by Rosneft as a whole. Rosneft owns as well a 50% stake in Ruhr Oel GmbH, the owner of stakes in four refineries in Germany with overall capacity of 23.2 million tonnes. Rosneft is the second largest national oil company by retail network, which covers 41 regions of Russia and includes 1,800 filling stations. In March 2020, the company stopped its operations in Venezuela and sold all of its assets in the country to another unnamed company that is owned by the Russian government.

Shareholders​

Prior to the (IPO) in 2006, all of Rosneft's shares were owned by the Russian government through its holding company JSC Rosneftegaz. After the placement of the company's shares on the stock exchange and the consolidation of shares of 12 subsidiaries (including Yuganskneftegaz) of Rosneft, the share of Rosneftegaz decreased to 75.16%. As of September 2012, Rosneft had over 160,000 shareholders. By December 2016, the number of individual shareholders was 138,000, with Rosneftegaz owning only 50% of the shares, BP owning 19.75%, and 30.25% owned by other shareholders. In August 2021 Igor Sechin increased his own share at Rosneft from 0,1273% up to 0,1288%..."

Last edited:

1) Yes
2) No

The way some Americans, particularly of the right-wing persuasion, have refused to take on the slightest inconvenience during the pandemic makes me think they will hate it if gas prices go much higher than they already are. We're not ready for a ban of Russian oil.

Back
Top Bottom