• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Would You Hire Someone with Visible Tattoos? (1 Viewer)

I would prefer non-inkers but if the tat was a neck job the interview would never start

haters gonna hate.... whacha gonna do?

one cool thing about people with ink.... they don't give a **** of other people don't have any.

funny how that works.

except when the prospective employer denies them the job they want because of their tats

except when the prospective employer denies them the job they want because of their tats

nope.... they'll probably be mad that they were discriminated upon because of their ink... but that's not the same as caring if you have no ink.

Yeah, I think kinda like that too. Thus my previous comment, "Not the sharpest tack in the pack."

I just wonder, how many 50-60 year old people think that getting tattoo'd in their youth was a good idea? My guess is, not many.

Too soon old. Too late smart.
52 and still getting ink.

A couple of our best employees have, or had, extensive tattoos and they do work requiring above average intelligence, knowledge and skills. A good interview will tell you much more about a prospective employee than their tattoos, piercings, hair color etc. I'm glad we didn't refuse to hire our tattooed, dyed etc. co-workers.

Exception: Facial tattoos would trigger my prejudices, since getting one seems like a commitment to never getting a semi-normal or normal job.

Where I live at least 50% of all people under 18-35 yrs old have tats, probably 30% of those older than 35 have them also. They no longer scare off potential clients, customers etc. in most businesses.

imagine you are buying a 80k car

you walk into the showroom, and are greeted by a receptionist with a huge tattoo on her neck

first impression?

for some jobs, ink probably not only doesnt matter, but fits right in

for other jobs, it is completely out of place, and would be a deterrent to business

so...depending on your job....your desire for employment in the future....and the general field

think before inking up.....especially if looks will be a determining factor in getting a job

and i dont want to seem sexist....but most greeters/receptionists in high dollar firms want a certain look for their clientle

you walk into the showroom, and are greeted by a receptionist with a huge tattoo on her neck

first impression?

for other jobs, it is completely out of place, and would be a deterrent to business

so...depending on your job....your desire for employment in the future....and the general field

think before inking up.....especially if looks will be a determining factor in getting a job

and i dont want to seem sexist....but most greeters/receptionists in high dollar firms want a certain look for their clientle

So many people have lots of tattoos in my town that I barely notice them anymore. They definitely do not determine where I shop, in my experience tats don't tell you much about a person and it would be too inconvenient.

I would advise young people to only have tattoos placed where they can be easily hidden if they must get one. That just gives you more options.

Last edited:
I fight this battle constantly with my healthcare students...and tell them day one..that piercing and tattoos could reduce their opportunities in hospitals..some listen and others don't. Many of the major hospitals have policies that tattoos must be covered while working with patients. Elderly patients have perceptions of folks who have them and do not understand the "body art" reason and feel uncomfortable with nurses who have visible tattoos. The younger ones have a problem with "free expression" of themselves...and do not consider the feelings of those they who are paying their salary. They just want to "be real" My response, you have the freedom to be as real as you want...you just will not get the opportunity to "be real" at the Cleveland Clinic..earning 50K right out the gate. Is your tattoo really worth it? Me, personally I would rather eat. LOL

I guess if health care workers get tattooed, it's not unhealthy.

Right?

first impression?

LOL, I would be all sorts of curious about it.

LOL, I would be all sorts of curious about it.

i have these customers everyday

most of them wouldnt have your response

most are 35-60, earn well in excess of 100k annually, and are very professional

some might have your response.....

others might turn right around and walk out the door

the question every guy/gal like me has to ask is whether or not the risk of having that person represent your company is worth it

first impression?

i would be MORE likely to buy.

i have these customers everyday

most of them wouldnt have your response

most are 35-60, earn well in excess of 100k annually, and are very professional

some might have your response.....

others might turn right around and walk out the door

the question every guy/gal like me has to ask is whether or not the risk of having that person represent your company is worth it

I live in (not work in) a county where I would literally bet you that at least 30% of people under 40 have some ink.

It is VERY common to flaunt it. A guy who runs his own investment company and pulls up in my neighborhood pub in a maserati (paid in straight cash) has 2 full sleeves.
He turned DOWN a ferrari dealer (an hour away) because the salesperson had your mentanlity and assumed the guy couldn't pay.

What about the guy who had "Romney Ryan" tattooed on his face? Forget about the partisanship. Don't you thing getting a campaign slogan tattooed on your face is a bad idea?

Depends on the job, a coworker of mine in my last employer wore a leather jacket with Bandidos colors at work and had a tatoo on the back of his scalp of a skeleton hand flipping the bird....

He was actually really good at the job, and apparently his personal things didn't bother my employer

I have to admit that tattoos would give me a negative first impression of the person. However, in the kind of jobs I've been in a position to make hiring decisions on, a first impression occurs long before you meet the candidate in person. Given that by the time they meet you they have passed technical screenings and various phone interviews, it would have to be a remarkably bad tattoo (say, a swastika or something...) in order to ruin my impression of the candidate at that point.

Last edited:
tattoos are the way poor people collect art

If you were an employer, would you hire someone with visible tattoos?

Here's an article about a woman who recently was released from prison: Barbra Scrivner thought winning clemency was the hard part. Then she got out.

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/barbra-scrivner-thought-winning-clemency-was-the-120128031516.html

I'm not bothered as much by her record as I am by the tattoos on her arm. To me, tattoos say "poor judgment." I'm not sure that's a quality I want in an employee.

Visible tattoos are freedom of expression, the constitution covers that.

Depends on the job. Some people are like overly offended by tattoos. :shrug: I don't know why. I have a tattoo, but it's covered, and is only shown if I want it to be shown.

My estranged stepson has some pretty bad tattoos on his arms. Eviscerated women, zombies eating entrails, etc. For your average, every day soccer mom, it's not something that she would feel comfortable with in her home, repairing her wiring, while she was alone and her husband was at work.

We tried to tell him that if he was going to get full sleeves, he'd have to be choosy about the places he worked, or he'd have to wear long sleeves all the time.

He didn't listen to either suggestion, and wasted training, time and money. Last I heard, he was still out of work. Not because he has tattoos - but because of the content of the tattoos.

If you were an employer, would you hire someone with visible tattoos?

Here's an article about a woman who recently was released from prison: Barbra Scrivner thought winning clemency was the hard part. Then she got out.

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/barbra-scrivner-thought-winning-clemency-was-the-120128031516.html

I'm not bothered as much by her record as I am by the tattoos on her arm. To me, tattoos say "poor judgment." I'm not sure that's a quality I want in an employee.

Depends on the kind of tattoos, and also the job description. Tattoos usually tell of the person's personality - so you'd have an idea what someone with a sick, or offensive tattoo reflects.

I won't bother hiring someone with "sick" or offensive tattoos. Why take the chance - going through the expense of hiring, orientation, paperwork etc.?

Depends on the kind of tattoos, and also the job description. Tattoos usually tell of the person's personality - so you'd have an idea what someone with a sick, or offensive tattoo reflects.

I won't bother hiring someone with "sick" or offensive tattoos. Why take the chance - going through the expense of hiring, orientation, paperwork etc.?

That's kind of what I would care about. If it's just regular tattoos, I'm not likely to care.

Depends on the job. Some people are like overly offended by tattoos. :shrug: I don't know why. I have a tattoo, but it's covered, and is only shown if I want it to be shown.

My estranged stepson has some pretty bad tattoos on his arms. Eviscerated women, zombies eating entrails, etc. For your average, every day soccer mom, it's not something that she would feel comfortable with in her home, repairing her wiring, while she was alone and her husband was at work.

We tried to tell him that if he was going to get full sleeves, he'd have to be choosy about the places he worked, or he'd have to wear long sleeves all the time.

He didn't listen to either suggestion, and wasted training, time and money. Last I heard, he was still out of work. Not because he has tattoos - but because of the content of the tattoos.

Maybe he can consider Can this cream remove your tattoo? - CNN.com ,.. or he can just be out of work.

first impression?

What does the kind of car I want have much to do with a receptionist's tattoo?

Screw those idiotic narrow minded people. I wouldn't work for a company that had some regulation about it.

Screw those idiotic narrow minded people. I wouldn't work for a company that had some regulation about it.

and that narrows your opportunities for employment

not saying that is appropriate, but will insist that is reality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom