• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Worst Eurovision ever??

So, there you go. Didn't I'd say I'd be happy provided neither Russia nor Sweden won. Who won? Sweden. Who came second? Russia. Great buggery bollocks! Where did my favourite come? Romania 15th!

Not this year :)

Yes, wasn't that surprising! The only surprises in the voting really. Everything else went pretty much according to established voting patterns. Sweden got 12 from iceland, Denmar rk, Norway, F¡nland, Estonia. Russia got 12 from Belarus, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Serbia. Very surprised at Greece/Cyprus split.

Thing is, I'm pretty sure these votes are fixed; that the local broadcaster gives the votes they want and the phone-in or text votes are just discarded. The Greec/Cyprus split might well reflect the frosty relations between Athens and Nicosia. Similarly between the Baltic states and Russia. Normally Russia can absolutely depend on Baltic votes, but not this year.

I think that because this is just Eurovision no one polices voting behaviour too strictly. They certainly didn't back in the late-Eighties when I made a few programmes about the ESC.

I liked the Swedish one very much, but I also hoped for more points to Estonia, Israel and Georgia.

iCPfunM.png

:)

Fallen.

Haven't watched it in decades, didn't watch it this time and am not likely to ever. Totally agree with a previous comment on how the Eurovision thing was sometimes worth it (to me), this crap of scams isn't anything I'll make time for.

Also there's better music out there, the makers of which probably not wanting to end their careers before it starts, by participating.

Big brother on notes :2razz:

I ran across this for the first time today, had never heard of it before. I found some of it entertaining but that stage upstaged everyone.
I like the Sweden song well enough and figured pretty early on they would win.
I had to google Wurst <sp, Interesting character but wouldn't be someone I would go look for to watch.

Yes, wasn't that surprising! The only surprises in the voting really. Everything else went pretty much according to established voting patterns. Sweden got 12 from iceland, Denmar rk, Norway, F¡nland, Estonia. Russia got 12 from Belarus, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Serbia. Very surprised at Greece/Cyprus split.

Thing is, I'm pretty sure these votes are fixed; that the local broadcaster gives the votes they want and the phone-in or text votes are just discarded. The Greec/Cyprus split might well reflect the frosty relations between Athens and Nicosia. Similarly between the Baltic states and Russia. Normally Russia can absolutely depend on Baltic votes, but not this year.

Considering that the jury members from Macedonia and Montenegro were disqualified due to issues put forward by the independent vote counter PwC, a major accounting firm.. then I dont think the votes were fixed.

I think that because this is just Eurovision no one polices voting behaviour too strictly. They certainly didn't back in the late-Eighties when I made a few programmes about the ESC.

The voting patterns you point out go back to the start of the Eurovision. The Scandinavian countries have always voted for each other, and so on. It has gotten "worse" because of the entry of the eastern countries where there are political and cultural links in the old soviet empire countries. Remember it use to be that Ukraine voted for Russia and visa versa.. doubt that would happen today though (cant remember the voting last night).

Plus if the votes were "rigged", then Russia would never have gotten as many votes as it did.. despite of being a good song.

Agree with Pete on the rigging, or rather not so. One does have to consider cultural links. Especially back in the days of the language rule, Greece and Cyprus would have voted for each other as they may have been the only other song in the contest they actually understood. French commentators continually lament the fact that actually, Switzerland and Belgium don't vote for us, their Francophone neighbours. I always televote for the UK as I grew up there - is that unfair or political? At the end of the day it's Eurovision - a bit of camp fun.

On the night I loved Italy, Serbia and Slovenia. Romania and Lithuania were up there for me aswell. Disappointed to see the UK and France bomb as they did as I thought they were both strong. Germany was a worthy nul point-er. Austria wasn't fab but didn't deserve to be down at the bottom.

I did get very worried early on in the voting and switched into "anything but Russia" mode (of course, my guests and I were well bladdered by this point). So I was eventually very pleased to see Sweden win even if it wasn't one of my favourites. I remember being disappointed when Loreen won for Sweden with "Eurphoria" a few years back, but then jeez how that song grew on me over time. We'll see if the same happens here. Next year Stockholm!

Russia could depend on votes from its satellite nations because of the large numbers of Russians in their populations.

Agree with Pete on the rigging, or rather not so. One does have to consider cultural links. Especially back in the days of the language rule, Greece and Cyprus would have voted for each other as they may have been the only other song in the contest they actually understood. French commentators continually lament the fact that actually, Switzerland and Belgium don't vote for us, their Francophone neighbours. I always televote for the UK as I grew up there - is that unfair or political? At the end of the day it's Eurovision - a bit of camp fun.

On the night I loved Italy, Serbia and Slovenia. Romania and Lithuania were up there for me aswell. Disappointed to see the UK and France bomb as they did as I thought they were both strong. Germany was a worthy nul point-er. Austria wasn't fab but didn't deserve to be down at the bottom.

I did get very worried early on in the voting and switched into "anything but Russia" mode (of course, my guests and I were well bladdered by this point). So I was eventually very pleased to see Sweden win even if it wasn't one of my favourites. I remember being disappointed when Loreen won for Sweden with "Eurphoria" a few years back, but then jeez how that song grew on me over time. We'll see if the same happens here. Next year Stockholm!

You might be right about the voting, but one day someone will work out a way to neutralise that effect, maybe something like a regional semi and then members of the same region would be prevented from voting for countries in their bloc.

Why has Russia got a fatter head and eyes on the other way up? Don't get the joke.

Seriously ...you guys (cause you're not the fist one here on DP that asked me about these cartoons) talking about politics all day long yet you aren't familiar with polandball. Here educate yourself:
Polandball on reddit
Polandball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Russia is bigger, hence, its' size is bigger and its' eyes are upside-down cause its' unhappy....sheesh.

Fallen.

Seriously ...you guys (cause you're not the fist one here on DP that asked me about these cartoons) talking about politics all day long yet you aren't familiar with polandball. Here educate yourself:
Polandball on reddit
Polandball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Russia is bigger, hence, its' size is bigger and its' eyes are upside-down cause its' unhappy....sheesh.

Fallen.

No need to be snippy! I've never come across Polandball before. I'm no follower of internet memes, so I can't think of any reason why I'd have encountered it. The upside down eyes really don't convey unhappiness btw.

No need to be snippy! I've never come across Polandball before. I'm no follower of internet memes, so I can't think of any reason why I'd have encountered it. The upside down eyes really don't convey unhappiness btw.

Yes they do, you can clearly see that Russia is being grumpy .... didn't you ever watch cartoons?!? :D

Besides being an internet meme, these comics are really funny as well, and they often describe current and past world events without being PC about it.
lilqv6d.png

Fallen.

Sooo?!? ...my dad is 51 and he knows what polandball is.

Fallen.

Good for him. Perhaps it's a bigger thing in your neck of the woods than here.

I am now fully filled in. I shall have a look for some other cartoons because, like Manc, I'm not exactly busting my sides yet.

Good for him. Perhaps it's a bigger thing in your neck of the woods than here.

I am now fully filled in. I shall have a look for some other cartoons because, like Manc, I'm not exactly busting my sides yet.

Oh well to each his own... :shrug:

z9zUg5Q.png

Fallen.

How the f.uck anyone takes this seriously, is beyond me. A pile of crap.

Back
Top Bottom