• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

World Opinion?

Do you care what the world thinks about the US?

• Yes

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 24 57.1%

• Total voters
Which wears away at the uniqueness that is the United States.
What is so unique?

I think Chris makes some good points. The US cannot live in a vaccum. What it does and how people feel about it can come back to effect the US itself. The world is even more greatly connected nowdays. Trade and politics is international and you can't seperate yourselves away from that.

Willoughby said:
What is so unique?

I think Chris makes some good points. The US cannot live in a vaccum. What it does and how people feel about it can come back to effect the US itself. The world is even more greatly connected nowdays. Trade and politics is international and you can't seperate yourselves away from that.

Fine. When is the rest of the world going to endorse individual freedom as the sole goal of national existence? Since they're so eager to get along, how about if they start doing things our way? After all, they should respect all international opinion.

When is the rest of the world going to endorse individual freedom as the sole goal of national existence?
Well lots of countries have these indivdual freedoms..some would argue more than the US in some cases

Willoughby said:
Well lots of countries have these indivdual freedoms..some would argue more than the US in some cases

Well, then, since they're so dedicated to freedom, they're well aware that their opinion doesn't matter and shouldn't be used by us as a guide for our actions.

Very good.

No. I could care less.

When it comes down to it, America has greatly helped to shape the world into a better place through our treasure and our blood and the world, quite frankly, needs us. The sad truth through all this jealousy and hate, is that the world knows it.

Meh.

I could care less what the rest of the world thinks about us........When they need us to defend them they will like us...........

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Fine. When is the rest of the world going to endorse individual freedom as the sole goal of national existence? Since they're so eager to get along, how about if they start doing things our way? After all, they should respect all international opinion.

It is very naive to think that we are capable of forcing people to do as we do. Moreover, those other nations have been practicing their believes as long and longer than we have ours. Respect their opinions as you desire respect on ours. They think they are as right as we do.

Hoot said:
I voted yes. All countries need the cooperation of other nations, otherwise, why even worry about foreign policy?

Let's just build a wall around the U.S. and worry about domestic policy, but that too, needs cooperation from other nations to thrive and meet common objectives.

If the world starts hating the U.S., I don't think we'll be around much longer.

We drive the world economy, we drive the worlds technology..... They have to deal with us wether they like it or not. Without our economy fueling the global market they house of cards collapses.

Were not going anywhere..... And if we were to isolate ourselves completely I think the world as a whole would suffer more then our country on it's own

Calm2Chaos said:
We drive the world economy, we drive the worlds technology..... They have to deal with us wether they like it or not. Without our economy fueling the global market they house of cards collapses.

Were not going anywhere..... And if we were to isolate ourselves completely I think the world as a whole would suffer more then our country on it's own

We are dependant on other nations for various things as well. Most of our products are imported from China, etc. We could not possibly isolate ourselves from other nations. If we did so we would suffer too. For an example, sugar cane is grown mainly in Brazil and I could go on and on. We are not a world of our own. We need to maintain peace or we will have problems. That is why it is crucial to have a UN. Don't be naive.

alphieb said:
We are dependant on other nations for various things as well. Most of our products are imported from China, etc. We could not possibly isolate ourselves from other nations. If we did so we would suffer too. For an example, sugar cane is grown mainly in Brazil and I could go on and on. We are not a world of our own. We need to maintain peace or we will have problems. That is why it is crucial to have a UN. Don't be naive.

NO... your first mistake is thinking we are dependent on anyone for anything. WE have shipped production of many things to CHina and various nations for business/economic reason. BUt we are more then capable of doing them here if need be... Sugar cane is also grown in Hawaii and if not supplying a world market would be sufficient for our consumption. NOt to mentoin the use of artificial sweeteners. THere is nothing we can't restart producing in this country we need. THe fact that it is being done someplace else at the moment does not mean we didn't do it here first or can't do it here at all. With our industry and our technology there is nothing we can't produce, reproduce, or find alternatives for. The US is the largest importer of goods and services in the world. Without that the global economy crashes and burns... As for the UN... It is a useless toothless old dog that serves no real purpose whatsoever. IT's time to kick the UN out of the US and get the US out of the UN......Don't be so naive

Calm2Chaos said:
NO... your first mistake is thinking we are dependent on anyone for anything. WE have shipped production of many things to CHina and various nations for business/economic reason. BUt we are more then capable of doing them here if need be... Sugar cane is also grown in Hawaii and if not supplying a world market would be sufficient for our consumption. NOt to mentoin the use of artificial sweeteners. THere is nothing we can't restart producing in this country we need. THe fact that it is being done someplace else at the moment does not mean we didn't do it here first or can't do it here at all. With our industry and our technology there is nothing we can't produce, reproduce, or find alternatives for. The US is the largest importer of goods and services in the world. Without that the global economy crashes and burns... As for the UN... It is a useless toothless old dog that serves no real purpose whatsoever. IT's time to kick the UN out of the US and get the US out of the UN......Don't be so naive

While it's true we could technically be an autarky if we wanted, it would put a massive strain on our economy. I think everyone can agree that the best option is free trade and cooperation at the international level. Even you have to admit it would be nice to have most of the world behind us in the Middle East. This is not an argument that we should temper our military foreign policy, only that we should temper our diplomatic policy. An example is Cheney's slam against Russia yesterday. We NEED them on Iran. I'm not saying he didn't have them pegged, cause he did. But when the stakes are as high as they are in the Middle East, it might not hurt to reign in the criticism for others.

Kelzie said:
While it's true we could technically be an autarky if we wanted, it would put a massive strain on our economy. I think everyone can agree that the best option is free trade and cooperation at the international level. Even you have to admit it would be nice to have most of the world behind us in the Middle East. This is not an argument that we should temper our military foreign policy, only that we should temper our diplomatic policy. An example is Cheney's slam against Russia yesterday. We NEED them on Iran. I'm not saying he didn't have them pegged, cause he did. But when the stakes are as high as they are in the Middle East, it might not hurt to reign in the criticism for others.

I don' think it would be that big of a strain on our economy considering the monies saved if we went into a isolationist trek. Military budget alone would drop drasticaly, Foriegn aid and and other monitery responsibilities would be gone. Free trade is the best option most definetly. But for us it isn't the only option.

I am not saying that having the backing of other nations doesn't make life a little easier. I am saying that in many or most cases these nations are going to follow there own agendas. Meaning there support is only forthcoming when it is benificial to them

alphieb said:
It is very naive to think that we are capable of forcing people to do as we do. Moreover, those other nations have been practicing their believes as long and longer than we have ours. Respect their opinions as you desire respect on ours. They think they are as right as we do.

Isn't it equally as naive for others to attempt the same? Why do they get a pass and we get admonished?

Calm2Chaos said:
I don' think it would be that big of a strain on our economy considering the monies saved if we went into a isolationist trek. Military budget alone would drop drasticaly, Foriegn aid and and other monitery responsibilities would be gone. Free trade is the best option most definetly. But for us it isn't the only option.

I am not saying that having the backing of other nations doesn't make life a little easier. I am saying that in many or most cases these nations are going to follow there own agendas. Meaning there support is only forthcoming when it is benificial to them

It would severly retard our economy. There's a reason we are running such a huge trade deficit; because it's much cheaper. Almost every consumer good would go up in price, and oil would sky rocket.

Kelzie said:
But when the stakes are as high as they are in the Middle East, it might not hurt to reign in the criticism for others.

At which point is the reciprocal true? When do we get to b1tch? It 'seems' like the rest of the world gets to carp and carp and b1tch and moan and make snarky comments and burn flags and....you name it. It 'seems' like whenever we (USAmericans) open our mouths we get the proverbial 'shuuush'.

Maybe this is more perception than reality. But, perception is reality;)

manthe said:
At which point is the reciprocal true? When do we get to b1tch? It 'seems' like the rest of the world gets to carp and carp and b1tch and moan and make snarky comments and burn flags and....you name it. It 'seems' like whenever we (USAmericans) open our mouths we get the proverbial 'shuuush'.

Maybe this is more perception than reality. But, perception is reality;)

Well sure that's what's going on. We're the ones asking for support. It would just be too perfect if we could get support AND say what we want.

Kelzie said:
Well sure that's what's going on. We're the ones asking for support. It would just be too perfect if we could get support AND say what we want.

Sort of, but not really.

It's not like we're asking them to help us lift a couch into our Uhaul. 'Help' is not an operative word in this scenario. We're not asking them to help, we're asking them to stop being stupid. The problem with Iran is not 'our' problem, its a lot of country's problem.

Either way, that should not preclude our ability to be critical, any more than it has precluded any other nation's ability (including Russia) to be bitterly critical of us while still keeping their hand out for our aid and charity.

manthe said:
Isn't it equally as naive for others to attempt the same? Why do they get a pass and we get admonished?

Who is attempting to impose their ideas on us besides the Muslim radicals?

Calm2Chaos said:

If you believe that, I hope you have plenty of money to pay twice the amount for goods. Meanwhile, it would probably cause some major inflation.

alphieb said:
Who is attempting to impose their ideas on us besides the Muslim radicals?

First of all, 'impose' is a poor choice in words. I'm not talking about *imposing* beliefs. I could reverse the question and ask who, besides Muslim radicals are we trying to *impose* our beliefs on? I was addressing the repect of beliefs and opinion.

To answer your question with regards to beliefs and opinions, and who tries to 'push' theirs and/or disregard/disrespect ours ....France, Germany, Spain, Italy, China, Russia, India, Canada, Mexico, Venezuela etc., etc., etc. Watching the news or reading print media or Internet media I am constantly coming across 'someone', from 'somewhere' ranting about the US and how we should do this or we should do that, or we should have done this or that, or we screwed something up or botched this or that, or we need to act one way or another. Just listen to some of the discourse in the UN on any given day.

It is very popular these days to 'lecture' or even put down the US. It is widely used by politicians in other countries to gain popularity and/or 'brownie points' with constituants. We get everything from polite disagreement to red-faced, flag burning rants.

But, for some reason when we (the USA) are critical, express dissatisfaction, give an opinion, or clash beliefs people seem to get indignant. How dare we have anything to say! It frustrates me.

I'm not attacking you, I'm just expresing my frustration and my opinion.

manthe said:
First of all, 'impose' is a poor choice in words. I'm not talking about *imposing* beliefs. I could reverse the question and ask who, besides Muslim radicals are we trying to *impose* our beliefs on? I was addressing the repect of beliefs and opinion.

To answer your question with regards to beliefs and opinions, and who tries to 'push' theirs and/or disregard/disrespect ours ....France, Germany, Spain, Italy, China, Russia, India, Canada, Mexico, Venezuela etc., etc., etc. Watching the news or reading print media or Internet media I am constantly coming across 'someone', from 'somewhere' ranting about the US and how we should do this or we should do that, or we should have done this or that, or we screwed something up or botched this or that, or we need to act one way or another. Just listen to some of the discourse in the UN on any given day.

It is very popular these days to 'lecture' or even put down the US. It is widely used by politicians in other countries to gain popularity and/or 'brownie points' with constituants. We get everything from polite disagreement to red-faced, flag burning rants.

But, for some reason when we (the USA) are critical, express dissatisfaction, give an opinion, or clash beliefs people seem to get indignant. How dare we have anything to say! It frustrates me.

I'm not attacking you, I'm just expresing my frustration and my opinion.

I understand your frustration and clearly see your point of view, however I think there is a lot of contraversy in our own backyard; so therefore resulting in contraversy around the world. They see our dissatisfaction and jump on the band wagon or shall we say thrive on our turmoil. Which ever it is, it is psychological. Critics will always remain leerking in a corner awaiting your mistakes, if you are someone to uphold, they like to see you down. SAD BUT TRUE.

Willoughby said:
Was just wondering if americans were bothered about the world opinion of americans or about the world opinion of their government? I am always a littel interested and sometimes concerned about what the rest of the world thinks about my country.

The poll options should have been the following

Yes- becasue I am a globalist piece of **** whose sovereignty, borders and
nation means nothing so yes the rest of the world's opinion matters to
me.

No-Why would I care there not Americans?

hell no-I care why?

**** no!-**** what the rest of the world thinks of us.

If the US didn't have so much economic power another country would. There is nothing particulary special about the states. Once britain was the worlds biggest economic but they fell and so will the states one day.

Foriegn aid and and other monitery responsibilities would be gone.
That wouldn't take out much on the foreign aid front. The US is nowhere near the top of the list in terms of foreign aid.

!-**** what the rest of the world thinks of us.
Maybe its that sort of attutude that keeps on getting u in to lots of problems

Willoughby said:
If the US didn't have so much economic power another country would. There is nothing particulary special about the states. Once britain was the worlds biggest economic but they fell and so will the states one day.

That's a weird assertion. That is also not necessarily true. Is there a rule somewhere that says only one nation can be economically powerful? If a nation has what it takes to be an economic powerhouse, they would typically do so to the best of their ability. The US happens to have what it takes in a very big way.

At any point in history you can point to the worlds superpower(s). At those points in time, those superpowers were indeed unique. No one doubts that superpowers come and go. The time-frame is the only thing that is usually in question. The US is a very young nation, and relatively speaking has only been a superpower for a very short amount of time. I don't see that changing any time soon.

None of this should be taken as boastful, just common sense assertions.

Willoughby said:
That wouldn't take out much on the foreign aid front. The US is nowhere near the top of the list in terms of foreign aid.

That is the MOST ABSURD thing I've read in a long time!! I'm struggling to understand what you were thinking.

In terms of GNI, the US shows up low on the scale. I assume that is what you used to spin your assertion. Everyone knows that is an ABSOLUTELY worthless number as a guage for actual aid. The US is waaaaay out in front in terms of actual dollars, you know...actual aid. In fact the US contribution is almost DOUBLE the number 2 contributer (Japan). As a matter of fact, the US gives almost as much as the number 2 and number 3 (France) contributer COMBINED!

I can hardly believe you wrote that. :doh

So contrary to your statement; "That wouldn't take out much on the foreign aid front", it would indeed take and incredibly significant chunk from global foreign aid.

Willoughby said:

Maybe it's these sorts of lies, slander and spin that frustrate us to the point that we're sick of giving a sh1t!

That is the MOST ABSURD thing I've read in a long time!! I'm struggling to understand what you were thinking.

In terms of GNI, the US shows up low on the scale. I assume that is what you used to spin your assertion. Everyone knows that is an ABSOLUTELY worthless number as a guage for actual aid. The US is waaaaay out in front in terms of actual dollars, you know...actual aid. In fact the US contribution is almost DOUBLE the number 2 contributer (Japan). As a matter of fact, the US gives almost as much as the number 2 and number 3 (France) contributer COMBINED!

I can hardly believe you wrote that.

So contrary to your statement; "That wouldn't take out much on the foreign aid front", it would indeed take and incredibly significant chunk from global foreign aid.
Sorry i probably phrased it in the wrong terms. I meant that it would not effect the united states as much as it would if other aid givers withdrew their aid. I did not mean this in terms of how much the countries receive but in terms as a percentage of the US governemnt money is spent on aid

Back
Top Bottom