• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

World of Warcraft maker to end anonymous forum logins

Targeted advertising and a lack of security will have the consequence of a decreased user base willing to contribute "meaningful community conversation" which is to the detriment of their service. Aside from the fact that much of the internet is filled with people you wouldn't want to know personally, I figure that if you go to lengths to use their web forum, you should play by their rules and do not cry when things change while you still use the service.

I think a lot of people, especially the players, underestimate the power of the game's addictiveness. They might protest, a very few may quit, but Blizzard's bottom line will continue to grow.

The crack dealers know how powerful their product is.

I am beyond furious at this move. If this occurs, I will not be posting on WOW forums or playing it any more.

Heck I have spent the last hour complaining on the WOW forums. This is just the beginning. RealID in game is next - Not voluntary

Without a shadow of doubt, this is the single worst decision made by Blizzard.

As if an armature hacker can't already trace your IP through your connection to the Matrix: How is this bad?

Last edited:
World of Warcraft sucks...

LOTRO is where it's at. :)

(I have nothing constructive to add to the conversation)
Personally, I've never really played WOW. I tried it in a trial, got to ~ lvl 10...and stopped.

If this is required to post on their forums, I won't be purchasing it on principle, no matter my interest in the game (which is nearly nonexistent to begin with).

After all, I thought the purpose of MMORPGs and PC/console games in general was to escape the real world.

I’m thinking within the first year of this someone gets killed in RL because of this change.

Or at the least, attacked.

Personally, I've never really played WOW. I tried it in a trial, got to ~ lvl 10...and stopped.

If this is required to post on their forums, I won't be purchasing it on principle, no matter my interest in the game (which is nearly nonexistent to begin with).

After all, I thought the purpose of MMORPGs and PC/console games in general was to escape the real world.

I’m thinking within the first year of this someone gets killed in RL because of this change.

Or at the least, attacked.

That's where my Glock steps in....

How so?

In my 4 years of WOW. Never have I seen the community so decidedly against a move by Blizzard

US thread: World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> Battle.net Update: Upcoming Changes to Forums
1596 pages.
EU English: World of Warcraft (en) Forums -> Battle.net Update: Upcoming Forum Changes
Spanish:World of Warcraft (es) Foros -> Battle.net: Próximos cambios en los foros
120 pages
French: http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=13816838129&sid=2

The vast majority of us do not want this implemented.

I pay for a game, not facebook.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people, especially the players, underestimate the power of the game's addictiveness. They might protest, a very few may quit, but Blizzard's bottom line will continue to grow.

I doubt it.
I and many others value our privacy over any game, addicted or not. I will merely find another game to sate my addiction.

A search of my name would bring up relatives, my work, my history in my old secondary school.

Why would I want freaks like this to have access to that information?

Edit: And for those who think we gamers are being paranoid by not wanting to give up our first and last names.
Observe what happened to a employee of Blizzard who (foolishly) gave it to the forums to prove nothing could happen

Within minutes, his address, number, photo, relatives and a picture of his house on google was found.

Naturally Blizzard employees are now 'exempt' from this change :/

Last edited:
BBC News - World of Warcraft maker to end anonymous forum logins

I know I'll get some boos and hisses for posting a story about Video Games in breaking news but I know there are a number of players on the forum, over 11 million world wide, and I think this may be a negative trend that starts heading elsewhere.

For those that don't know Blizzard, the makers of WOW, are coming out with a highly anticipated game called Starcraft II in the next few months as well as the first major expansion in a few years for the highly successful World of Warcraft with an additional game from their other successful franchise (Diablo) set to launch sometime in the near future. In preparation for all this they have moved to a universal login called "RealID" that would allow someone access to any of the games they own when signing into an online account.

No real issues there, nice and convenient.

However, the recent news that is making headlines not just in gaming blogs like Kotaku and Joystiq but even on the BBC is that they're going to be using their RealID system to display peoples real name on their forums.

Now, the argument for this from some is that its a private company and forum whose usage is a privileged. On the flip side of this WOW is not a one time payment system but a continuous subscription with benefits, one of which is supposed to be ability to use the forums. More so the forums are not "optional" if one needs customer support, technical support, bug reporting, and other relatively common functions of gaming customer service. This creates an issue where to even be able to properly report an issue with the game one must sacrifices their private identity to the viewing of every other person playing the game with them.

Unlike a situation like Facebook which also has real names displayed, this is not something you can choose who gets to see it. Additionally one must take into account the interaction that's going on. Like most things on the internet forum discussions can get extremely heated. However add to that a game where much of it is predicated off the notion of interacting, if not fighting against, other real people and you have numerous situations where emotions can take over far more than would be likely from a closed in facebook account.

Blizzard suggests this is to reduce the amount of "trolls" on their forums, hoping to shame them into not trolling by showing their real name. However, accusations are of a more commercial nature. Activision/Blizzard recently signed an agreement with Facebook that would allow for information swapping, thus giving the potential for significant advertising benefits by matching ones real ID to ones facebook account to generate data to use as an incentive to sell targeted advertisements for significant gains. Additionally South Korea recently made a law requiring online communities of over 100,000 people that operate in SK to have to show a users real name. Youtube was the first to be challenged with this and ended up blocking SK posters from making comments until they relieved an exception. Its unlikely Blizzard would do such a thing as SK makes up a significant market base for their upcoming Starcraft II release. The more than a decade old original Starcraft is still played routinely in SK, to the point that there are professional leagues there for it. So it appears to many that the suggested "stop trolling" argument is simply a cover for the company putting peoples privacy in jeapordy in exchange for further profit.

The question is how ethical is this, how legal is this, how likely is it to cause problems, and is this a sign of things to come. Will a greater move to remove anonymity from the internet be made over the next decade, tearing down the 4th wall between the user and cyber space?

To me this reeks of a horrendous idea. With a user base as large and varied as WOW mixed with the potential for heated situations you significantly increase the chance for essentially real life griefing. There are undoubtedly players now that have zero qualms with griefing players that have PVP'ed them, pissed them off on the forum, won an item they wanted, took a kill they were trying for, etc. What percentage of these type of people will take the opportunity to take it a step further if the ability to get the name of the person who earned your ire is readily and easily available?

I will so kick your ass in Jedi Knight Dark Forces II

And yes its a horrible idea.

Last edited:
Shockingly, I agree with Redress. I have no doubt that this isn't really about the welfare of the forum istelf, but that is the lame-duck excuse that's being given by the company.

I'm not allowed to agree with Redress so I will agree with you agreing with Redr-

a_61.jpg

Though the market is not quite saturated yet, you can bet people can easily switch over to a different game if enough complaints continue. In your words, find another dealer.

Though the market is not quite saturated yet, you can bet people can easily switch over to a different game if enough complaints continue. In your words, find another dealer.

Starcraft 2 is going to rock. It will be a tough sell.

The dumbest game of the year goes to C&C 4 hands down

Personally, I think this is a good move. Griefers ruin games and I believe they'll be less likely to engage in antisocial behavior if they can no longer hide behind a cloak of anonymity.

In my 4 years of WOW. Never have I seen the community so decidedly against a move by Blizzard

US thread: World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> Battle.net Update: Upcoming Changes to Forums
1596 pages.
EU English: World of Warcraft (en) Forums -> Battle.net Update: Upcoming Forum Changes
Spanish:World of Warcraft (es) Foros -> Battle.net: Próximos cambios en los foros
120 pages
French: World of Warcraft (fr) Forums -> Mise à jour Battle.net : Changements à venir

The vast majority of us do not want this implemented.

I pay for a game, not facebook.

Thanks for the links. I'll have a look over those threads tonight.

Does Blizzard not realize that many teens play WoW? I would imagine many parents canceling memberships for their children's privacy. And please forgive me, but I can't help posting this video... YouTube - Greatest freak out ever (ORIGINAL VIDEO)

If anyone quits WoW you are happy to join me on the totally free and totally private game of RF online :mrgreen:

Personally, I think this is a good move. Griefers ruin games and I believe they'll be less likely to engage in antisocial behavior if they can no longer hide behind a cloak of anonymity.

Why do you think this?

The only reason trolls would care would be either:

1. They're afraid something will happen IRL
2. It'll not allow them to hide behind alt characters on the forum and be a douche without gaining a reputation.

With regards to number 1, really no degree of trolling is worth and thus shouldn't be the threat of punishment for trolling.

With regards to number 2, the only reputation hit they're going to take is one with others in the community...IE people not in real life. So the exact same thing could be done by having a universal USER NAME rather than their real name that is used anytime you're posting instead of allowing you to use whatever character name you want. Thus having a permanent game wide handle would work almost as effectively with far less issues for the average player

I'm not involved with any real-time games or online gaming of any nature - never have been.
Nor is my real name anywhere on the internet. . . nor do I have facebook or other such things.

Nor do any of my kid's have involvement with these things.

However, the notion that a once-private factoid (such as a real name name) is now going to be made public without the person's consent is so wrong it's beyond belief.

There is absolutely NO real reason for it - code name, screen names and assigned numbers should be sufficient.

As for the facebook... you don't have to sign up for facebook to have your name appear, and all your friends that tag photos of you, etc...

I doubt it.
I and many others value our privacy over any game, addicted or not. I will merely find another game to sate my addiction.

A search of my name would bring up relatives, my work, my history in my old secondary school.

Why would I want freaks like this to have access to that information?

Edit: And for those who think we gamers are being paranoid by not wanting to give up our first and last names.
Observe what happened to a employee of Blizzard who (foolishly) gave it to the forums to prove nothing could happen

Within minutes, his address, number, photo, relatives and a picture of his house on google was found.

Naturally Blizzard employees are now 'exempt' from this change :/

That's going to be the new thing, where you must use your real names to post in ANY forums... I think that the fact that WOW does have alot of teenage players, is that they are less likely to question this (unless the intention is to grief).. and so become habituated to using their real names in internet interactions.

It's also pretty foolish to think of yourself as anonymous on the internet.... mostly anonymous, but it's surprisingly easy to find out down to the physical location of where you're accessing the internet... though precautions can be taken.

I got this crazy idea : If you're griefing the punishment goes all the way up to banishment.

Does Blizzard not realize that many teens play WoW? I would imagine many parents canceling memberships for their children's privacy. And please forgive me, but I can't help posting this video... YouTube - Greatest freak out ever (ORIGINAL VIDEO)

If anyone quits WoW you are happy to join me on the totally free and totally private game of RF online :mrgreen:

I would agree with you, but so many parents really don't seem to take much active interest in their kids lives.

That video... no way that kid actually freaked out like that... I mean, WoW is fun, but I mean after you get to the max level and a few pieces of master armor, there's really nothing to do but PVP, and even that gets kinda boring... even though it was so much fun to go into the cities where people were lvl 1-10 mostly and just pillage. Anyway, I bet that video was staged... more like I HOPE that it was staged, cause to freak out THAT much over a video game... just damn.

1. They're afraid something will happen IRL. ... With regards to number 1, really no degree of trolling is worth and thus shouldn't be the threat of punishment for trolling.

This is where we fundamentally disagree. The Internet is part of real life, not some imaginary domain where a person's words and actions don't have consequences. The more time people spend on the Internet, the more of their lives they've invested in it, the more true this is. People should not be able to hide behind false personas to engage in antisocial behavior.

This is where we fundamentally disagree. The Internet is part of real life, not some imaginary domain where a person's words and actions don't have consequences. The more time people spend on the Internet, the more of their lives they've invested in it, the more true this is. People should not be able to hide behind false personas to engage in antisocial behavior.

Then put your money where your mouth is.

Change your handle on here to your real name.

Read my "About Us" thread. It's linked to in my profile.

Its certainly not under "about me" and you just railed against anonymity on the web so why not change your handle to your real name?

Answer the question.

Its certainly not under "about me" and you just railed against anonymity on the web so why not change your handle to your real name?

The "About Me" options do not include my real name. I am not anonymous, because my handle is easily linked to my real name both by my "About Us" page and through even a cursory web search. I use a handle because my online reputation is more clearly linked to that handle than to my real name; at this point "Korimyr the Rat" is as much my real name as "Cecil Sims" is.

The "About Me" options do not include my real name. I am not anonymous, because my handle is easily linked to my real name both by my "About Us" page and through even a cursory web search. I use a handle because my online reputation is more clearly linked to that handle than to my real name; at this point "Korimyr the Rat" is as much my real name as "Cecil Sims" is.

But that isn't what the OP is talking about. They are not saying your real name will be in another section. Its your new handle in the game.

If you are going to claim you grow tired of the aninimity and support this change you should reflect what they are specifically advocating.

The right to privacy is being completely undermined by the internet. For instance if I get your phone number I can find out tons of personal information for near nothing.. it is cheap easy and fast. Some degree of privacy should be enforced with the internet.. just my opinion of course. But otherwise the internet is amazing .. I don't even turn my tv on any more.

Read my "About Us" thread. It's linked to in my profile.

Show of hands: how many MMO players have or would wear custom clothing of their game to openly display that they personally play?

/raises hand.

Show of hands: how many MMO players have or would wear custom clothing of their game to openly display that they personally play?

/raises hand.

this guy.

21138.jpg

lucky me I'm done with mmo gaming.. got my fill of it over a decade ago before wow came out :duel

BBC News - World of Warcraft maker to end anonymous forum logins

I know I'll get some boos and hisses for posting a story about Video Games in breaking news but I know there are a number of players on the forum, over 11 million world wide, and I think this may be a negative trend that starts heading elsewhere.

For those that don't know Blizzard, the makers of WOW, are coming out with a highly anticipated game called Starcraft II in the next few months as well as the first major expansion in a few years for the highly successful World of Warcraft with an additional game from their other successful franchise (Diablo) set to launch sometime in the near future. In preparation for all this they have moved to a universal login called "RealID" that would allow someone access to any of the games they own when signing into an online account.

No real issues there, nice and convenient.

However, the recent news that is making headlines not just in gaming blogs like Kotaku and Joystiq but even on the BBC is that they're going to be using their RealID system to display peoples real name on their forums.

Now, the argument for this from some is that its a private company and forum whose usage is a privileged. On the flip side of this WOW is not a one time payment system but a continuous subscription with benefits, one of which is supposed to be ability to use the forums. More so the forums are not "optional" if one needs customer support, technical support, bug reporting, and other relatively common functions of gaming customer service. This creates an issue where to even be able to properly report an issue with the game one must sacrifices their private identity to the viewing of every other person playing the game with them.

Unlike a situation like Facebook which also has real names displayed, this is not something you can choose who gets to see it. Additionally one must take into account the interaction that's going on. Like most things on the internet forum discussions can get extremely heated. However add to that a game where much of it is predicated off the notion of interacting, if not fighting against, other real people and you have numerous situations where emotions can take over far more than would be likely from a closed in facebook account.

Blizzard suggests this is to reduce the amount of "trolls" on their forums, hoping to shame them into not trolling by showing their real name. However, accusations are of a more commercial nature. Activision/Blizzard recently signed an agreement with Facebook that would allow for information swapping, thus giving the potential for significant advertising benefits by matching ones real ID to ones facebook account to generate data to use as an incentive to sell targeted advertisements for significant gains. Additionally South Korea recently made a law requiring online communities of over 100,000 people that operate in SK to have to show a users real name. Youtube was the first to be challenged with this and ended up blocking SK posters from making comments until they relieved an exception. Its unlikely Blizzard would do such a thing as SK makes up a significant market base for their upcoming Starcraft II release. The more than a decade old original Starcraft is still played routinely in SK, to the point that there are professional leagues there for it. So it appears to many that the suggested "stop trolling" argument is simply a cover for the company putting peoples privacy in jeapordy in exchange for further profit.

The question is how ethical is this, how legal is this, how likely is it to cause problems, and is this a sign of things to come. Will a greater move to remove anonymity from the internet be made over the next decade, tearing down the 4th wall between the user and cyber space?

To me this reeks of a horrendous idea. With a user base as large and varied as WOW mixed with the potential for heated situations you significantly increase the chance for essentially real life griefing. There are undoubtedly players now that have zero qualms with griefing players that have PVP'ed them, pissed them off on the forum, won an item they wanted, took a kill they were trying for, etc. What percentage of these type of people will take the opportunity to take it a step further if the ability to get the name of the person who earned your ire is readily and easily available?

On the other side, consider this. People will say things on an ANONYMOUS forum that they would never DARE say to someone's face. With real names being used, I wonder if this could curtail this and create a bit more civility.

Back
Top Bottom