• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

World government

anomaly said:
Not really going to argue anything here, but just asking this alien a question: would you be in favor of a 'world gov't' if it was a US led world gov't? For example, what if the president of the world was Bush, would you be in favor then of a world gov't.
Good question and you would think I would be all for it, but no, to big of can of worms we would be opening. It's the same reason why we taking Mexico is not a good idea. Alot more people to take care of by just a little more producers.

Squawker said:
What is establishing a democracy in Afghanistan and Iraq? Chopped liver?
Of course these democracies he set up are great accomplishments (although I'm still very skeptical of how he's handling Iraq, as are half the country). But these few good things are far outweighed by his bad things. He's lowered taxes on the rich, started an illegal war in Iraq, passed the Patriot Act, cut too many social programs, hasn't vetoed a single spending bill while lowering taxes, he's supported organisations like the WTO and NATO that contribute to global (vast) inquality, created a divide between the USA and Europe, and now he wants to privatise SS.

Last edited:
anomaly said:
He's .... passed the Patriot Act,
Congress passed it. With the help of John Kerry. You supported Kerry even though he voted for a bill that you say is part of Bush's "bad things."

Batman said:
Congress passed it. With the help of John Kerry. You supported Kerry even though he voted for a bill that you say is part of Bush's "bad things."

Support any politician and you're likely to disagree with him at least some of the time.

Pacridge said:
Support any politician and you're likely to disagree with him at least some of the time.
Good point. Why is it that some think if you support Bush you must be some zealot that never disagrees with anything he says or does?

Batman said:
Good point. Why is it that some think if you support Bush you must be some zealot that never disagrees with anything he says or does?

I think it's very valid. I fall on the liberal side of things here in the past two or three years. And I find if I say anything that doesn't slam Bush I get slammed. I've had it happen on this board. Recently I made a statement in support of something Bush did and another member jumped all over me for it. I think if you don't look at the issues with your eyes open and you're simply following what either parties shoving down your throat, then you might as well just be a robot.

Pacridge said:
I think it's very valid. I fall on the liberal side of things here in the past two or three years. And I find if I say anything that doesn't slam Bush I get slammed. I've had it happen on this board. Recently I made a statement in support of something Bush did and another member jumped all over me for it. I think if you don't look at the issues with your eyes open and you're simply following what either parties shoving down your throat, then you might as well just be a robot.
I hope you're not speaking of me, Pac, implying that I always agree with the Democrats. I find myself being farther to the left than is acceptible in modern American politics, and the fact that the Dems are moving right obviously disturbs me. Do I disagree with about everything Bush does? Yes, of course. Any leftist would. This man has blinded the conservative right, enabling him to support the extreme right cause while still having a majority of the public supporting him. That I see this is the reason I object when someone claims to support Bush.

anomaly said:
I hope you're not speaking of me, Pac, implying that I always agree with the Democrats. I find myself being farther to the left than is acceptible in modern American politics, and the fact that the Dems are moving right obviously disturbs me. Do I disagree with about everything Bush does? Yes, of course. Any leftist would. This man has blinded the conservative right, enabling him to support the extreme right cause while still having a majority of the public supporting him. That I see this is the reason I object when someone claims to support Bush.

I don't think I was implying any one person always agrees with any party. My comments were not directed at you. Sorry if you took it that way. Not sure how you got there from here.

My point was anytime I say anything that agrees with Bush I get people on the Left somewhat attacking me as not being far left enough. I don't think Bush is wrong all the time. I certainly don't agree with him very often. But I don't think you can just blanket disagree with everything he does. Anymore then you can blanket agree with something another politician might do.

Pacridge said:
I don't think I was implying any one person always agrees with any party. My comments were not directed at you. Sorry if you took it that way. Not sure how you got there from here.

My point was anytime I say anything that agrees with Bush I get people on the Left somewhat attacking me as not being far left enough. I don't think Bush is wrong all the time. I certainly don't agree with him very often. But I don't think you can just blanket disagree with everything he does. Anymore then you can blanket agree with something another politician might do.
Funny, I'm viewed as too far to the left. But I will say that many more radical anti-capitalists view American Democrats as not realising the real problem (capitalism) and continuing to support it. In many cases, those who are more moderate and not left enough seem to favor policy that accomplishes nothing, and constantly give in to the right wing. In modern American politics, the left wing compromises, while the right wing actually proposes policy (IMO). More disturbingly, the Democrats now are relatively the same as Republicans in economic policy (liberalism of years ago is now all but dead), both parties are largely pro-market and pro-business. This has created one moderate party and one radical right wing party.

Batman said:
Right.This and many other votes that Kerry made in the Senant that the media didn't touch. The question of "Did Bush have a physical when told by the military 30 years ago?" was more important to the Dan Rather gange.

alienken said:
Right.This and many other votes that Kerry made in the Senant that the media didn't touch. The question of "Did Bush have a physical when told by the military 30 years ago?" was more important to the Dan Rather gange.
Let it be known that I would have supported any one of the Democratic candidates over Bush. Kerry just happened to win out. I was originally pulling for Dean, and I'm happy to see him as the leader of the DNC.

anomaly said:
Funny, I'm viewed as too far to the left. But I will say that many more radical anti-capitalists view American Democrats as not realising the real problem (capitalism) and continuing to support it. In many cases, those who are more moderate and not left enough seem to favor policy that accomplishes nothing, and constantly give in to the right wing. In modern American politics, the left wing compromises, while the right wing actually proposes policy (IMO). More disturbingly, the Democrats now are relatively the same as Republicans in economic policy (liberalism of years ago is now all but dead), both parties are largely pro-market and pro-business. This has created one moderate party and one radical right wing party.

Sadly, we have the same problem in the UK - we just don't have a left-wing party any more :boohoo:

Naughty Nurse said:
Sadly, we have the same problem in the UK - we just don't have a left-wing party any more :boohoo:
Yes, well, unfortunately, the UK, the greatest empire of the 19th century, is slowly starting to look exactly like the US (the greatest empire of the 20th century and beyond...). I point to Germany, where the electoral process is much friedlier to 3rd parties, and even across thechannel there, at France, where in '97, the French people actually go to vote on whether they wished to see privatisation and deregulation continued. They, after a campaign with no mudslinging and instead just some very serious talk on the harsh realities of modern economics, voted to stop deregulation and to save the welfare state. The Americans and British never had a chance to make that vote...instead the left has gone into hiding.

WORLD GOVERNMENT? Are you completely insane? This sounds like anarchist talk to me. The last thing this planet needs is a large group of politicians who are as inept as the several diverse groups of governments that are already running this dying piece of rock we call the planet Earth. Look at it this way ... what if someone would have thought of your idea years ago, and did something about it to the point of actually forming a ONE WORL GOVERNMENT ... and the leader was chosen. SADAM HUSSEIN, ladies and gents! He may not be where he is today, in prison. And we may not be where WE are today, living in the closest thing that our generation can call peace. We'd all be living (or should I say dying) under the Sadam Hussein regime. No way out of that. That is just one of the many horrifying examples of possibilities that could and certainly will take place if we, the planet Earth were to accept a World Government. Your life would never be the same. Not to mention, Biblically speaking, this world will certainly see a One World Government. When former president George Bush brought up the idea of a One World Government he wasn't kidding. He knew that this idea would not be too far off. I suggest you, and anyone else interested, read a series of well written novels by Tim LaHaye, called Left Behind. There are over a dozen books in the series, but I guarantee that after the second and maybe the third book in the series you will be thinking a little differently about having a World Government ruling this planet. Let me just put it this way chief, if we accept a World Government you will be sure to see a lot of these :hm around your neighborhood if you live in America, because I don't know if you've been keeping up on world events these past few years, but not a lot of WORLD citizens :shoot like America too much right now. So, I think it's time to empty whatever you may have in that pipe of yours, and stop smoking it, because it's bad for your health. And then maybe the hallucinations will stop there chief. Get off your little soap box :soap and try to think up some better ideas to save the planet. Don't forget to tune into Dennis Miller's show. It's the best thing going on television today.

Dennis Miller you are right on in post#39. One world gov. is the worst thing that could happen. The U.N. is the closest we have and it is a complete disaster.....I watch Dennis Miller every night in fact I'm waiting for it to come on now. I would pay money to see Bill Maher as a guest for the full 30 min. of the show.Wouldn't that be a good exchange!

Dennis Miller said:
WORLD GOVERNMENT? Are you completely insane? This sounds like anarchist talk to me. The last thing this planet needs is a large group of politicians who are as inept as the several diverse groups of governments that are already running this dying piece of rock we call the planet Earth. Look at it this way ... what if someone would have thought of your idea years ago, and did something about it to the point of actually forming a ONE WORL GOVERNMENT ... and the leader was chosen. SADAM HUSSEIN, ladies and gents! He may not be where he is today, in prison. And we may not be where WE are today, living in the closest thing that our generation can call peace. We'd all be living (or should I say dying) under the Sadam Hussein regime. No way out of that. That is just one of the many horrifying examples of possibilities that could and certainly will take place if we, the planet Earth were to accept a World Government. Your life would never be the same. Not to mention, Biblically speaking, this world will certainly see a One World Government. When former president George Bush brought up the idea of a One World Government he wasn't kidding. He knew that this idea would not be too far off. I suggest you, and anyone else interested, read a series of well written novels by Tim LaHaye, called Left Behind. There are over a dozen books in the series, but I guarantee that after the second and maybe the third book in the series you will be thinking a little differently about having a World Government ruling this planet. Let me just put it this way chief, if we accept a World Government you will be sure to see a lot of these :hm around your neighborhood if you live in America, because I don't know if you've been keeping up on world events these past few years, but not a lot of WORLD citizens :shoot like America too much right now. So, I think it's time to empty whatever you may have in that pipe of yours, and stop smoking it, because it's bad for your health. And then maybe the hallucinations will stop there chief. Get off your little soap box :soap and try to think up some better ideas to save the planet. Don't forget to tune into Dennis Miller's show. It's the best thing going on television today.

Welcome to Debate Politics!

I agree with your thoughts on world government, however don't think much of your the TV show. But the monkey was funny. Well, no it wasn't. As for the "Left Behind" series- they should be left behind.

Dennis Miller Who?

welcome.gif

First off, I would like to send a thank you out to Alienken and Pacridge for the kind words. Even though Pacridge seemed to have his own opinions on a couple of things. Have you ever read the Left Behind series? And Alienken, I also totally agree with your idea of having Bill Maher as a guest on Dennis Miller. :applaud That would certainly be worth paying for. Maybe we should write to their producers and put a bug in their ears to give them the idea. Just to let them know that people want to see it. I also agree with what you'd said about the UN. Aren't these people some of the lowest forms of criminals that you've ever seen? :stooges In fact, here is a copied quote from this mornings online news report from the BBC with regards to the latest disgusting crime committed by the UN officials.
The UN has fired one employee and suspended six others without pay over allegations of sexual misconduct in the Democratic Republic of Congo. UN peacekeepers have been accused of using food and money to pay girls as young as 12 to have sex with them. Allegations of sexual exploitation by peacekeepers in DR Congo started emerging around the eastern town of Bunia in early 2004. About 150 cases were reported. In February, the UN announced that its troops in DR Congo had been ordered not to have sexual relations with Congolese.
Can you believe that? Twelve year old little girls! These are PEACE KEEPERS, fer cryin' out loud, people. I read this and the first thing I wanted to do, was take a trip to these UN "Peace Keepers" homes and blow them up. :boom That is just disgusting. This is exactly the type of behavior that I think about when I think of a World Government. An incompetant, inept group of men and women that take a teaspoon of power and get drunk off of it, deciding to do whatever sick acts their tiny little minds can comprehend and think they can actually get away with it. And why? Because they believe they are infallible. They are corrupt. The UN needs to do some waking up. They need to find a real leader if they plan to maintain some sort of respectable power in the world. Kofi Annan doesn't seem to be interested in doing much. I mean, look at the GENOCIDE in Darfur. I know Annan doesn't want to actually call it that, but let's face it. When thousands of people die and about 2 million are forced into homelessness all because the regions government wants to side with the local militia to create what they are calling "ethnic cleansing", what else do you call it? And Annan doesn't seem to think this is important enough to stop. In the last days of Collin Powel's career in office, he had tried desparately to twist Kofi Annan's arm to get him to do something about the crisis in Darfur, but Annan was too busy trying to defend his already sorry reputation against the "Oil for Food" campaign. Hmmm ... let's see ... what's more important, millions of people's lives and wellbeing, or one selfish man's reputation? If you ask me, I think that if George W Bush is looking for someone new to wage war on, he should point his finger at the UN. Forget about these other countries. When anyone commits a crime against helpless young children who are already in turmoil, that really gets to me. Maybe we, as a world body of citizens should stand up and politically demolish the UN. I'm sayin' take away their power completely. Why not? It's our world. We don't want them running it anymore. But as Dennis Miller would say: "Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong."

Dennis Miller said:
First off, I would like to send a thank you out to Alienken and Pacridge for the kind words. Even though Pacridge seemed to have his own opinions on a couple of things. Have you ever read the Left Behind series? And Alienken, I also totally agree with your idea of having Bill Maher as a guest on.

Yes, I've read "Are We Living in the End Times?" And I've glanced through a couple of their other works. These books and other merchandise is another attempt by someone, in this case two someone's, to use the bible to sell people stuff. Who's knows maybe these two men truly believe what they're saying. But seems to me they've spent too much time reading through and concentrating on the Book of Revelations and haven't read through some of the other books in the Bible at all. They might want to spend some time in Matthew 6:19, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth." Or Matthew 19:21, where Jesus advises a rich man: "Sell your possessions and give the money to the poor. ... It will be hard for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of Heaven." If they did that they might trade their private jets in for more meager means of transport. Or at least stop hawking calendars for 9.50 a pop.

I would like to see Bill on Dennis' show. Then his show might be interesting. Least more interesting then with the monkey.

Pacridge, I understand your point about the two authors. I wasn't trying to say that they are great guys or anything. I specifically said that I really enjoyed their book series, Left Behind. As for the the two authors of that series of books, I know nothing much about them personally. Just that their Left Behind series was interesting. As for yourself, you seem quite knowlegable about the Bible. That's good to see. Anyway, I realize that this is not a religious forum, so I won't go off on some tangent about Christianity and the Bible and other beliefs. I guess there are other forums for those topics. The brief topic of religion came up when I had mentioned, in my first posting, that it would be a good idea for anyone to read that series before they make a strong opinion on a One World Government, as the series touches on that in a big way. But I guess I shouldn't really be apologizing for bringing up the topic of religion in a political forum, because if you look around the globe, this world is constantly facing religious tumoil on a daily basis. Hence the entire issue of the worlds biggest topic of the decade ... terrorism. Oh, and we can't forget the other big one ... same sex marriages. That is a rather heated issue when it comes to politics and religion. Apparently, other nations are becoming extremely offended by the topic, because they tend to believe strongly in traditional marriage. I guess the US and Canadian politicians want to obtain the right to marry any sex they may want and not have the media make too big of a deal. They probably figure, if we make it a legal and common practice, and then we do it ourselves, the citizens of our nations won't laugh at us too much, because it will be legal and common. So far, I see the US government as, what may be called, a "bi-sexual government." For years, they have been bending all of us over. Male or female. It doesn't matter. They didn't really know which way they swung. But I guess now they are starting to decide which way they want to go. The same sex. :spin:

The Left Behind series is utter crap, produced for the masses. I'm a staunch Catholic, and it is pathetic to see how many people read books like that and think that they have "insighful views" or meaning in them.

I'm not sure why there's so much discussion about 1 world government, the odds of that happening are exactly 0.

Regarding your accusations about the UN's peacekeepers in the Congo. I agree that their acts are reprehensible, but they're not illegal. They broke the rules placed by the UN, but not the Congo. They were picking up prostitutes who were underage, something that happens rather regularly in the third world. You don't think that these girls would have been out doing the same thing anyways?

I dislike many of the UN's actions, but to claim that the peacekeepers in the Congo shouldn't be there is reactionary. Would it be better for said 12 year old girls to be raped and killed in a Civil War?

I tried to follow your argument about Gay Marriage, but I gave up.

Hey RightatNYU, do you really believe the load of crap that you had typed in your last post? Is it just a New York thing that people there just want to be heard, and so you say whatever comes out of your mouth, regardless of whether it makes even the slightest bit of sense or not? Okay, first of all, you'd said that you are "a staunch Catholic", but yet in your profile you claim to be "enjoying status as "fascist asshole" at NYU". Now there's something to really be proud of, chief. I guess that's the New York attitude rearing it's ugly head once again. How can you say that you're a "staunch Catholic" but yet claim that the chances of a One World Government are '0'? I'm not totally certain as to whether Catholics study or believe in the book of Revelation. One thing that I am wondering about though is whether you are making an attempt to create your own brand of religion? A branch off of catholicism maybe? Because let me tell you, chief, I know some catholics and they do believe strongly in what is known as the "End Time prophecies", including those of a One World Government. As far as the Left Behind series, I had not said that I live my life after those books, but that I found them to be interesting. How did you get accepted into NYU? I thought that it was a rather acclaimed institute of higher learning there chief. I guess they must have lowered their standards the year that you were accepted. You'd mentioned that you had to give up on my argument on gay marriage. Why was that? Is that a touchy subject for you or something? Listen RightatNYU, once you learn and understand how to debate issues at school then you can keep up with what real people are talking about in forums like this. Oh yes, I did have one other question for you. You seem to have defended what the UN officials had done in Congo. I'm just curious about this. Are you defending their actions because you aspire to become a lawyer someday, or are you a pedophile at heart? I'm not accusing you of anything here, just trying to find out why you had so strongly stood up for the right to have sex with little children, that's all chief. Normal people would have agreed with the fact that having sex with 12 year old girls is a sick habit, but you are giving it two thumbs up. I just don't understand.

Dennis Miller said:
Hey RightatNYU, do you really believe the load of crap that you had typed in your last post? Is it just a New York thing that people there just want to be heard, and so you say whatever comes out of your mouth, regardless of whether it makes even the slightest bit of sense or not? Okay, first of all, you'd said that you are "a staunch Catholic", but yet in your profile you claim to be "enjoying status as "fascist asshole" at NYU". Now there's something to really be proud of, chief. I guess that's the New York attitude rearing it's ugly head once again. How can you say that you're a "staunch Catholic" but yet claim that the chances of a One World Government are '0'? I'm not totally certain as to whether Catholics study or believe in the book of Revelation. One thing that I am wondering about though is whether you are making an attempt to create your own brand of religion? A branch off of catholicism maybe? Because let me tell you, chief, I know some catholics and they do believe strongly in what is known as the "End Time prophecies", including those of a One World Government. As far as the Left Behind series, I had not said that I live my life after those books, but that I found them to be interesting. How did you get accepted into NYU? I thought that it was a rather acclaimed institute of higher learning there chief. I guess they must have lowered their standards the year that you were accepted. You'd mentioned that you had to give up on my argument on gay marriage. Why was that? Is that a touchy subject for you or something? Listen RightatNYU, once you learn and understand how to debate issues at school then you can keep up with what real people are talking about in forums like this. Oh yes, I did have one other question for you. You seem to have defended what the UN officials had done in Congo. I'm just curious about this. Are you defending their actions because you aspire to become a lawyer someday, or are you a pedophile at heart? I'm not accusing you of anything here, just trying to find out why you had so strongly stood up for the right to have sex with little children, that's all chief. Normal people would have agreed with the fact that having sex with 12 year old girls is a sick habit, but you are giving it two thumbs up. I just don't understand.

Boy, you just don't get nuance do you?

First off:

By saying that I enjoy my status as fascist asshole at NYU, I'm implying the fact that because I'm somewhat conservative, I've been called things like "fascist asshole" by the radically left student body at NYU.

I was intrigued that you and another poster both commented on my "New York Attitude." I lived in the boondocks of Upstate NY for 18 years, so I guess my "city attitude" developed pretty quickly.

While I am a Catholic, I don't let my religious beliefs supercede all reason. There IS 0 chance of one world government. I don't care what any of your "Country Bumpkin" Catholic friends might believe. I'm not really interested in someone who I don't know explaining to me why my beliefs are wrong.

I'm confused about what you want, too. You seem so scared of a 1 World Government, but wouldn't that fit in with the Book of Revelations, meaning that the Rapture is coming? Doesn't that excite you?

I didn't defend what the Peacekeepers in the Congo did, I just defended the fact that it wasn't really illegal. It was immoral by our standards, but not by theirs. Do you actually believe that it's better that they weren't there?

And yes, the reason that I stood up for it is the same reason I couldn't follow your incompetent, rambling discussion about Gay Marraige: Because I'm a pedophile at heart who got into NYU by sucking **** left and right. :rolleyes:

If it is legal to have sex with little girls in Congo, RightatNYU, then why was one of those particular UN officials fired, and the others suspended without pay? Why are they all facing charges? Hmmm ... that sounds like something illegal to me. You study law, do you not? Shouldn't you know that if a person is charged with a certain crime it is thought to be an illegal act? Do they teach you at NYU that people get charged for doing things that are LEGAL? It is good to see that you do admit that those acts are immoral. If you were to stop after saying that, I would be inclined to think you are a decent human being who isn't confused about his own opinions, but then you decide to claim that it is not illegal for UN peacekeeping officials to have sex with 12 year old little girls in Congo. I don't expect much from the UN, however, I do expect a bit more than how they had conducted themselves with regards to these particular actions. Tell me something NYU, are these the lowly, disgusting types that you aspire to defend someday after graduating from law school?

Dennis Miller said:
If it is legal to have sex with little girls in Congo, RightatNYU, then why was one of those particular UN officials fired, and the others suspended without pay? Why are they all facing charges? Hmmm ... that sounds like something illegal to me. You study law, do you not? Shouldn't you know that if a person is charged with a certain crime it is thought to be an illegal act? Do they teach you at NYU that people get charged for doing things that are LEGAL? It is good to see that you do admit that those acts are immoral. If you were to stop after saying that, I would be inclined to think you are a decent human being who isn't confused about his own opinions, but then you decide to claim that it is not illegal for UN peacekeeping officials to have sex with 12 year old little girls in Congo. I don't expect much from the UN, however, I do expect a bit more than how they had conducted themselves with regards to these particular actions. Tell me something NYU, are these the lowly, disgusting types that you aspire to defend someday after graduating from law school?

They're not facing charges at all! Did you even read the article?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A52333-2005Mar20_3.html

They were either fired or suspended from their jobs because they broke a UN order banning from having sex with Congolese, not because they broke a Congan law. Therefore, they didn't get charged, and your whole argument is a fallacy.

I will refrain from mocking your arrogant statements because you obviously had no idea what you were talking about.

These aren't the type of people I will be defending, but with your oh so masterful knowledge of the law, I have the feeling you would make a great lawyer.

Back
Top Bottom