• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will Smith stayed at Oscars because Chris Rock declined to have him arrested or removed, says producer

Well, the key distinction here being that not everyone has the same status as Will Smith, and I'm pretty sure if we end up with some copy cat trying this kind of thing they will not get the same treatment Smith did. Kathy Griffin made a comment expressing this sentiment, but there have been comedians making far worse comments of their audience for as long as I can remember, and anyone going to a comedy show sitting in the front row has to mentally prepare for being a target. In my many experiences going to local comedy shows, I've never witnessed someone getting up and attacking a comedian when made a target. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I don't think this recent event will tip that scale.

What this event may do, is affect how comedians plan their comedy routines at these kind of events. The Oscars have always had comedians making jokes about those in attendance. This past one featured Amy Schumer roasting DiCaprio. That kind of thing might change, or at least how they handle someone who gets out of line in reaction to a joke.
Very well put. The only thing I would quibble with is over the copy cat aspect. Even one can be deadly. Stars of Smith's stature can have a nutty effect on their fans.

Very well put. The only thing I would quibble with is over the copy cat aspect. Even one can be deadly. Stars of Smith's stature can have a nutty effect on their fans.
Fair point. I hope we won't see anything like that though.

Well, the key distinction here being that not everyone has the same status as Will Smith, and I'm pretty sure if we end up with some copy cat trying this kind of thing they will not get the same treatment Smith did. Kathy Griffin made a comment expressing this sentiment, but there have been comedians making far worse comments of their audience for as long as I can remember, and anyone going to a comedy show sitting in the front row has to mentally prepare for being a target. In my many experiences going to local comedy shows, I've never witnessed someone getting up and attacking a comedian when made a target. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I don't think this recent event will tip that scale.

What this event may do, is affect how comedians plan their comedy routines at these kind of events. The Oscars have always had comedians making jokes about those in attendance. This past one featured Amy Schumer roasting DiCaprio. That kind of thing might change, or at least how they handle someone who gets out of line in reaction to a joke.
And that's a great point. If John Smith gets offended by a joke in a comedy club and slugs the comedian, would he get the same treatment? Or be taken out in handcuffs?

And your excuse for not taking your own advice is?
Am I posting shit about it?

No, I'm not.

I asked in this thread why we're still talking about it and the OP got offended.

Are you as well?

Am I posting shit about it?

No, I'm not.

I asked in this thread why we're still talking about it and the OP got offended.

Are you as well?
The OP got offended? The opening post?

I created the OP, and I wasn't offended. Mildly annoyed now, to be honest. Again, if this doesn't interest you, click on another thread.

What would be the point of putting him in a cell?
It was a heat of the moment action and he's shown nothing but remorse and the other person doesn't want to press charges.
The guy isn't a danger to the public.

What would be the point of putting him in a cell?
It was a heat of the moment action and he's shown nothing but remorse and the other person doesn't want to press charges.
The guy isn't a danger to the public.
Our criminal justice system doesn't work on the basis of 'he said he was sorry'. Will Smith should be treated like any other person who commits a blatant assault. Note that "putting him in a cell" isn't the only option.

Our criminal justice system doesn't work on the basis of 'he said he was sorry'. Will Smith should be treated like any other person who commits a blatant assault. Note that "putting him in a cell" isn't the only option.

Except in specific types of assault/battery, like domestic abuse and child abuse for ex., it's up to the victim to press charges or not.

And that's a great point. If John Smith gets offended by a joke in a comedy club and slugs the comedian, would he get the same treatment? Or be taken out in handcuffs?
If John Smith is offended by what Jack Doe said in a bar, and just slapped Jack, then whether John is put in handcuffs would be up to Jack after being asked by officers and whether John had to leave would then be up to management/owners of the bar. The same is actually true for your scenario. As well as say a picnic or BBQ at someone's house, as long as the 2 people are of the same type of relationship status or not as close as Will and Chris are.

If John Smith is offended by what Jack Doe said in a bar, and just slapped Jack, then whether John is put in handcuffs would be up to Jack after being asked by officers and whether John had to leave would then be up to management/owners of the bar. The same is actually true for your scenario. As well as say a picnic or BBQ at someone's house, as long as the 2 people are of the same type of relationship status or not as close as Will and Chris are.
No, witness statements would be taken, and John would be arrested. Jack might get a say with the DA later.

Except in specific types of assault/battery, like domestic abuse and child abuse for ex., it's up to the victim to press charges or not.
With no other witnesses, sometimes. With a witnessed event like this, the person gets arrested. The DA might take the victim's wishes in consideration later.

Remember that in this case, they never even talked to the victim. He was on stage. While he might have had a brief conversation during a commercial with the producer, that wouldn't be sufficient for a police report.

Last edited:
No, witness statements would be taken, and John would be arrested. Jack might get a say with the DA later.
No, that is not normal. The most normal thing is for them to ask the "victim". They may still arrest the person, but that is not the normal thing to happen, especially if it is not a domestic violence situation, child abuse, elderly abuse, or there is no evident indication of harm or the attack continuing. You are claiming "would" as if it is true everywhere, all the time, except this one time. That isn't even true from my experience.

No, that is not normal. The most normal thing is for them to ask the "victim". They may still arrest the person, but that is not the normal thing to happen, especially if it is not a domestic violence situation, child abuse, elderly abuse, or there is no evident indication of harm or the attack continuing. You are claiming "would" as if it is true everywhere, all the time, except this one time. That isn't even true from my experience.
It really is normal - again this was a witnessed incident - not a 'he said/she said' situation.

As I pointed out above, they didn't even interview the victim at that point - just a quick chat with the producer. 'Normal' would have included a long interview with both parties, and witnesses, an arrest, and let the DA sort it out. Had Rock 'declined' to press charges (essentially refuse to cooperate) the DA might have dropped the charges, but it's more likely he would have pushed for a plea deal, given the large number of witnesses and video evidence. That's 'normal'.

It really is normal - again this was a witnessed incident - not a 'he said/she said' situation.

As I pointed out above, they didn't even interview the victim at that point - just a quick chat with the producer. 'Normal' would have included a long interview with both parties, and witnesses, an arrest, and let the DA sort it out. Had Rock 'declined' to press charges (essentially refuse to cooperate) the DA might have dropped the charges, but it's more likely he would have pushed for a plea deal, given the large number of witnesses and video evidence. That's 'normal'.
From the reports, Rock decided not to press charges and officers do not normally make an arrest for that because it would limit the time that the DA would have to bring charges against the person. They are highly unlikely to make an arrest if they believe the DA is not going to file charges, which if the victim doesn't want to file them in this sort of case, is not likely to happen.

Prove that Rock didn't say he didn't want to file charges when the police came. That officers didn't talk to him.

From the reports, Rock decided not to press charges and officers do not normally make an arrest for that because it would limit the time that the DA would have to bring charges against the person. They are highly unlikely to make an arrest if they believe the DA is not going to file charges, which if the victim doesn't want to file them in this sort of case, is not likely to happen.

Prove that Rock didn't say he didn't want to file charges when the police came. That officers didn't talk to him.
From the reports, Rock spoke to the producer during a break, who passed on the information, again, that's not a normal police report. And again, normal is to make an arrest in a situation like this.

From the reports, Rock spoke to the producer during a break, who passed on the information, again, that's not a normal police report. And again, normal is to make an arrest in a situation like this.
From the reports, Rock insisted to the officers he didn't want to press charges.

In an excerpt of an interview with ABC News, aired Thursday on "World News Tonight," producer Will Packer said LAPD officers told Rock, "This is battery" and that he could press charges, and they were prepared to arrest Smith that night.
"They said, we will go get him. We are prepared. We are prepared to get him right now. You can press charges. We can arrest him. They were laying out the options," Packer told ABC. "And as they were talking, Chris was ... being very dismissive of those options. He was like, no, I'm fine. He was, like, no, no, no."

This indicates that the police asked Rock directly, not just via the producer.

From the reports, Rock insisted to the officers he didn't want to press charges.

This indicates that the police asked Rock directly, not just via the producer.
That's from the same producer, Packer, that was trying very hard to make everything go away, and whom Rock already confirmed was being untruthful about asking whether he wanted Smith removed.

Reports have all indicated this happened during the show. A police interview would not have occurred in a commercial break.

That's from the same producer, Packer, that was trying very hard to make everything go away, and whom Rock already confirmed was being untruthful about asking whether he wanted Smith removed.

Reports have all indicated this happened during the show. A police interview would not have occurred in a commercial break.
Where is the report/link from Rock? Please provide what he is claiming.

I guess you didn't read the OP?
I read it just fine. Absolutely nothing in that OP says that Chris Rock did not talk to the police. Go ahead and point out the exact words that make that claim.

I read it just fine. Absolutely nothing in that OP says that Chris Rock did not talk to the police. Go ahead and point out the exact words that make that claim.
I didn't say that. The comments attributed to him (from the producer) were coming during the show - when he was on stage. That's when they made the decision to not arrest him. What I said was that there's no way that Rock could have participated in a formal police interview during the show. You cannot do that on a commercial break. The OP did note that the producer said Chris Rock didn't want Will Smith forcibly removed after he refused to leave voluntarily - something that Rock denies ever being asked.

I didn't say that. The comments attributed to him (from the producer) were coming during the show - when he was on stage. That's when they made the decision to not arrest him. What I said was that there's no way that Rock could have participated in a formal police interview during the show. You cannot do that on a commercial break. The OP did note that the producer said Chris Rock didn't want Will Smith forcibly removed after he refused to leave voluntarily - something that Rock denies ever being asked.
It is explained quite clearly in the article that as soon as he was done with the award he was giving, he went backstage, to the Producer's office. He wasn't involved completely in every aspect of the show. He was just a presenter. He could have quite clearly participated.

And I'm not arguing about being asked to leave, only charges being filed, as you were going off on Rock not being asked about that, when there is evidence he was, from both the police and the Producer, and nothing countering that particular claim. He should have been required to leave, regardless if even Rock did feel he shouldn't have.

It is explained quite clearly in the article that as soon as he was done with the award he was giving, he went backstage, to the Producer's office. He wasn't involved completely in every aspect of the show. He was just a presenter. He could have quite clearly participated.

And I'm not arguing about being asked to leave, only charges being filed, as you were going off on Rock not being asked about that, when there is evidence he was, from both the police and the Producer, and nothing countering that particular claim. He should have been required to leave, regardless if even Rock did feel he shouldn't have.
That was in the middle of the show. Again, it's possible he had a quick chat with the producer. Not possible for him to have given a formal statement to the police during a commercial break.

I didn't say that Rock wasn't asked about charges - only that it's not possible for him to have given a formal statement and had a conversation about this with the police in the middle of the show, while he was performing. And again - it's not up to him. In a non-hollywood situation, Smith would have been arrested and had further discussions with the DA after the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom