• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will Smith stayed at Oscars because Chris Rock declined to have him arrested or removed, says producer

With no other witnesses, sometimes. With a witnessed event like this, the person gets arrested. The DA might take the victim's wishes in consideration later.

Remember that in this case, they never even talked to the victim. He was on stage. While he might have had a brief conversation during a commercial with the producer, that wouldn't be sufficient for a police report.

Sorry that's not generally the law. You are welcome to source it for CA tho.

And he could have contacted the cops any time he wanted if he wanted to make a report.

Sorry that's not generally the law. You are welcome to source it for CA tho.

And he could have contacted the cops any time he wanted if he wanted to make a report.
What's not the law? That the police conduct an investigation of an assault?

That was in the middle of the show. Again, it's possible he had a quick chat with the producer. Not possible for him to have given a formal statement to the police during a commercial break.

I didn't say that Rock wasn't asked about charges - only that it's not possible for him to have given a formal statement and had a conversation about this with the police in the middle of the show, while he was performing. And again - it's not up to him. In a non-hollywood situation, Smith would have been arrested and had further discussions with the DA after the weekend.
Chris Rock was a presenter, not a host. That means he didn't need to be on stage for the whole show. It wouldn't have needed to be "during a commercial break". He had plenty of time to give his statement.

It was more than possible for him to give a formal statement. There are not only multiple other people going to be up there, but several acts. He wasn't needed to do much else after his time on stage. How long do you think his performance was?

Chris Rock was a presenter, not a host. That means he didn't need to be on stage for the whole show. It wouldn't have needed to be "during a commercial break". He had plenty of time to give his statement.

It was more than possible for him to give a formal statement. There are not only multiple other people going to be up there, but several acts. He wasn't needed to do much else after his time on stage. How long do you think his performance was?
I have no idea how long his act was. I thought he was the host. My mistake.

I still don't think that was enough time, with all the activity, for the police to conduct an investigation and get statements from those involved. It was 40 minutes from the assault to Smith's award, and supposedly this happened in that window. Not enough time to let the dust settle, have the police respond, and get statements from everyone. (Did they even talk to Smith? I don't think he left the auditorium.) No question this was handled differently than it would have been had it not been a celebrity.

I still don't think that was enough time, with all the activity, for the police to conduct an investigation and get statements from those involved. It was 40 minutes from the assault to Smith's award, and supposedly this happened in that window. Not enough time to let the dust settle, have the police respond, and get statements from everyone. (Did they even talk to Smith? I don't think he left the auditorium.) No question this was handled differently than it would have been had it not been a celebrity.
He was not. He was only up there for that one award.

There was absolutely plenty of time after he presented his award as he didn't have anything else to do.

There would have already been police there for the even just security reasons at the Oscars. And certainly nearby, on standby.

They did not talk to Smith.

You have no evidence that it would have been handled differently had it not been celebrities involved. I'm sorry that you were never invited to a party or BBQ or went out to a rowdy bar in your life, but I've seen these things happen at those places with no charges filed, with multiple witnesses. Even with officers showing up in some of them. Many people do not press charges and officers figure not worth arresting if DA is unlikely to file charges, and in many cases they would be very reluctant to do so if the person is not hurt and not a spouse or child or elderly/disabled person.

He was not. He was only up there for that one award.

There was absolutely plenty of time after he presented his award as he didn't have anything else to do.
Rock was at least attending the event. The producer was running around trying to manage the show and do damage control. No way was there enough time.

There would have already been police there for the even just security reasons at the Oscars. And certainly nearby, on standby.

Police serving in a security role. And even if they were ready to go, there wasn't enough time to do an investigation.

They did not talk to Smith.

You have no evidence that it would have been handled differently had it not been celebrities involved. I'm sorry that you were never invited to a party or BBQ or went out to a rowdy bar in your life, but I've seen these things happen at those places with no charges filed, with multiple witnesses. Even with officers showing up in some of them. Many people do not press charges and officers figure not worth arresting if DA is unlikely to file charges, and in many cases they would be very reluctant to do so if the person is not hurt and not a spouse or child or elderly/disabled person.

I know enough about this type of case to know that's not how 'normal' assault cases are handled. Ever. You even concede that they didn't talk to the person who committed the assault. Nothing about how this was handled is normal.

And in how many of your bar fights did the person committing the assault refuse to leave - was allowed to stay - and was then given an award by the bar?

Rock was at least attending the event. The producer was running around trying to manage the show and do damage control. No way was there enough time.

Police serving in a security role. And even if they were ready to go, there wasn't enough time to do an investigation.

I know enough about this type of case to know that's not how 'normal' assault cases are handled. Ever. You even concede that they didn't talk to the person who committed the assault. Nothing about how this was handled is normal.

And in how many of your bar fights did the person committing the assault refuse to leave - was allowed to stay - and was then given an award by the bar?
It doesn't take that much time to talk to the person who was assaulted to find out if they want to press charges. It doesn't take that long for them to get their statement.

Actually, a number of them, so long as it was basically a one time thing or they simply liked the person assaulting the other.

Your last bit "given an award by the bar" is plain stupid. And that should be obvious.

It doesn't take that much time to talk to the person who was assaulted to find out if they want to press charges. It doesn't take that long for them to get their statement.

Actually, a number of them, so long as it was basically a one time thing or they simply liked the person assaulting the other.

Your last bit "given an award by the bar" is plain stupid. And that should be obvious.
Police would investigate first, then tackle the problem of whether someone wanted to press charges. And yes, it would take more than 15-20 minutes.

The statement about 'given an award by the bar' IS stupid. Yet given your analogy, that's what happened in this case. Ejecting Smith from the building should have been a given.

It really is normal - again this was a witnessed incident - not a 'he said/she said' situation.

As I pointed out above, they didn't even interview the victim at that point - just a quick chat with the producer. 'Normal' would have included a long interview with both parties, and witnesses, an arrest, and let the DA sort it out. Had Rock 'declined' to press charges (essentially refuse to cooperate) the DA might have dropped the charges, but it's more likely he would have pushed for a plea deal, given the large number of witnesses and video evidence. That's 'normal'.
Where are you getting this from? Your extensive experience/knowledge of the criminal justice system?

This is a fitting lead in to the rest of your post. You made all that shit up.

Where are you getting this from? Your extensive experience/knowledge of the criminal justice system?
This is a fitting lead in to the rest of your post. You made all that shit up.
I can tell you are frustrated, and now lashing out. Why are you trying so hard to defend the producer's actions here? Can't we have a discussion?

Smith assaulted a person on international TV. He didn't get ejected. He was told to leave and declined... so they let him stay and get an award. He not only wasn't arrested... the police didn't even talk to him. Clearly, there are different rules for hollywood elite.

I can tell you are frustrated, and now lashing out. Why are you trying so hard to defend the producer's actions here? Can't we have a discussion?

Smith assaulted a person on international TV. He didn't get ejected. He was told to leave and declined... so they let him stay and get an award. He not only wasn't arrested... the police didn't even talk to him. Clearly, there are different rules for hollywood elite.
Nah, home slice. The frustration is over there with you. You don't need to keep repeating your opinion.

What's not the law? That the police conduct an investigation of an assault?

Why would they if the victim chooses not to press charges? The police report would include time, date, location, short description of incident, victim's name. and "victim does not wish to press charges at this time." 🤷

Now, where's that law source?

Why would they if the victim chooses not to press charges? The police report would include time, date, location, short description of incident, victim's name. and "victim does not wish to press charges at this time." 🤷

Now, where's that law source?
Police conduct an investigation to create the police report. For a serious crime like assault, that requires more than a "short description of the incident".

Police conduct an investigation to create the police report. For a serious crime like assault, that requires more than a "short description of the incident".

If you want to call 'taking the details of the incident' an investigation, it would be innaccurate...they're not 'investigating' anything if no one presses charges. They are responding and making an incident report.

Nope.

If you want to call 'taking the details of the incident' an investigation, it would be innaccurate...they're not 'investigating' anything if no one presses charges. They are responding and making an incident report.
Yes, THEY call it conducting an investigation. That's part of creating the report.

Yes, THEY call it conducting an investigation. That's part of creating the report.

Still wrong. Not if the victim doesnt press charges. Do you have the source for the law yet?

Still wrong. Not if the victim doesnt press charges. Do you have the source for the law yet?
Yes, you are still wrong.

I don't know what law you are interested in, but you can look it up. I'm not going to play the 'you still didn't answer my nonsense question' game with you. Sorry.

Yes, you are still wrong.

I don't know what law you are interested in, but you can look it up. I'm not going to play the 'you still didn't answer my nonsense question' game with you. Sorry.

Heh, no source to back up your claim. I figured, because you're wrong and cant.

Back
Top Bottom