• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will he build the wall? (1 Viewer)

President Trump, nor anyone else, said anything about totally stopping people from coming into The United States, legally, to work.

Well, that's true, but a huge number of those "illegals" (about half from what I've seen) come here legally to work and just stay. And why not - thousands of employers, perhaps millions of homeowners, eager to hire them, low wages, no fuss, work hard, fire anytime with no problem.

Obviously that's untrue.
I have no idea what most illegals do about taxes, and nor do you. For all you know, most illegals work under-the-table. When I worked illegally in the US, I just made up a number and claimed 7 dependents. The union didn't care, the company didn't care, they just wanted qualified journeymen and couldn't man the job.

The only way for anyone to pay Federal taxes is to use a SSN.

You made up a SSN? Now, you're lying...lol. SSN's don't work like that.

The only way for anyone to pay Federal taxes is to use a SSN.

You made up a SSN? Now, you're lying...lol. SSN's don't work like that.

No I'm not. There's a formula built in having to do with the state you were born in, the state you applied for the number in, whatever. It was awhile ago. There was an Ironworkers local in Bellingham, Washington at the time (that long ago) which couldn't man a job in the port of Tacoma, building gas plant modules that would be shipped to Alaska. I was Local 97, Vancouver, and there wasn't much work at home. The Union local didn't care, the company office didn't care, there was at least a half-dozen Canadians on the job and they were glad to have us. No questions were asked, so long as the blanks were all filled.

No I'm not. There's a formula built in having to do with the state you were born in, the state you applied for the number in, whatever. It was awhile ago. There was an Ironworkers local in Bellingham, Washington at the time (that long ago) which couldn't man a job in the port of Tacoma, building gas plant modules that would be shipped to Alaska. I was Local 97, Vancouver, and there wasn't much work at home. The Union local didn't care, the company office didn't care, there was at least a half-dozen Canadians on the job and they were glad to have us. No questions were asked, so long as the blanks were all filled.

You can't file taxes under a randome name and number. Those numbers are assigned by the Feds. You can't just pick a number and expect the IRS to accept it. If it was that simple, people wouldn't have to steal identities.

You can't file taxes under a randome name and number. Those numbers are assigned by the Feds. You can't just pick a number and expect the IRS to accept it. If it was that simple, people wouldn't have to steal identities.

I did. Worked about six weeks under a made-up number. So have lots 'n lots of other Ironworkers I know. California, Boston, Chicago, New York.
'Course this was all quite awhile ago and for relatively short spells, but if everyone involved wants you...

edit- course, this was all just for payroll deduction. I never filed a return.

Honestly don't think so. Might increase more border guards, but that will be it. Your thoughts.

He said he would win the primaries. Everyone said he wouldn't. (I actually won a bottle of good whiskey on a bet on that one.)He said he would win the presidency, everyone said he wouldn't. People said he was a Clinton plant. He wasn't. People said he was in it to lose and start his own news network. He won. Everyone said there was no way to get Mexico to pay for the wall. He came up with a very viable plan. I think the guy is going to build a wall.

Last edited:
He said he would win the primaries. Everyone said he wouldn't. He said he would win the presidency, everyone said he wouldn't. People said he was a Clinton plant. He wasn't. People said he was in it to lose and start his own news network. He won. Everyone said there was no way to get Mexico to pay for the wall. He came up with a very viable plan. I think the guy is going to build a wall.

I kinda hope he does. Wall won't work, but it might get people to shut up about walls finally.

I did. Worked about six weeks under a made-up number. So have lots 'n lots of other Ironworkers I know. California, Boston, Chicago, New York.
'Course this was all quite awhile ago and for relatively short spells, but if everyone involved wants you...

edit- course, this was all just for payroll deduction. I never filed a return.

You were probably involved in indentity theft, or fraud. Those are Federal crimes. Local 97, eh? In Tacoma, Washington?

What do you mean a wall won't work?

Last I checked, you can climb a wall, go around a wall, go under a wall, blow a hole in a wall. The human capacity for getting **** done when posed a challenge is pretty amazing.

You were probably involved in indentity theft, or fraud. Those are Federal crimes. Local 97, eh? In Tacoma, Washington?

No, I forget the local number in Bellingham. I was in Local 97, Vancouver BC.
Wasn't identity theft, fraud maybe. Hard to point to who was defrauded, though. Whatever the law about working without a green card is, that's the one I was breaking.

How many borders have you worked?

None, but I have climbed a few walls. Let me ask you, do they have rope in mexico? How about small planes? Or hot air balloons? Dynamite?

I think they do...

No, I forget the local number in Bellingham. I was in Local 97, Vancouver BC.
Wasn't identity theft, fraud maybe. Hard to point to who was defrauded, though. Whatever the law about working without a green card is, that's the one I was breaking.

The IRS could have been defrauded...lol

Last I checked, you can climb a wall, go around a wall, go under a wall, blow a hole in a wall. The human capacity for getting **** done when posed a challenge is pretty amazing.

Nothing is 100%

He won't build the wall and deporting Muslims is now magically off of his website. His two biggest issues were 100% lies. Will people who voted for him care? Of course not. He's so not PC and that's what's important.

He won't build the wall and deporting Muslims is now magically off of his website. His two biggest issues were 100% lies. Will people who voted for him care? Of course not. He's so not PC and that's what's important.

When did he say he was going to deport Muslims?

Nothing is 100%

So we should spend billions of dollars, on something that will work maybe some of the time? What percent is acceptable to justify the huge cost? And can you give me an accurate estimate of how effective it will be? And how do you propose to stop people from going to Baja California and just swimming, or rafting around the wall. Unless that wall is going in the water.

I say build the wall, but just so you people will finally stop talking about how great a wall would be... It's worth blowing billions of dollars, just so we can once and for all settle the idea of a wall. Which I believe Bush already built, and couldn't maintain or hire enough guards to patrol. So ya theres that.

An American union hall using illegal labor. Interesting.

D'ya figure?
The Bellingham local doesn't exist anymore but you might try Local 40, Manhattan, Local 361 Brooklyn, Local 7 Boston or Local 1 Chicago.
Have fun...

Not that I support a wall, but these kind of arguments are always crap. Everything can be worked around no matter what you do. People use these kind of arguments in the gun control debate, the abortion debate and of course the immigration debate and in all of those cases it appears to ignore the fact that perfection is impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom