• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange arrested in London

I'm completely unconcerned with "international" laws, I am, however, concerned with "american laws." I'm funny that way.

Which, this may suprise you, only apply to Americans, or people who break American law on American soil, neither of which apply to Assange.

Those foreigners are caught IN Thailand and are not extradited to Thailand. No country in Europe would ever extradite a person of any nationality to another country if that person risked the death penalty.

As I said that was an extreme example to show that people can indeed be trailed by a country they're not citizens of.
And as you know people are being extradited to countries they're not citizens of and are judged there all the time.

No, first they have to prove there is a crime. As of yet there is no proof.

Not exactly, but they do need to have enough evidence for him to be charged in suspicion of committing a crime.

Actually he said so himself.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Click on the "Assange threatens 'poison pill' 2:53" video.

So be careful before you go all out in your labeling of something as a conspiracy theory and make sure you google it first next time.

Also, reported for the "right wing conspiracy wackos" remark.

Last edited:
He apologized after getting caught. He signed the statement and one is always held responsible for that fact. So waiting for your apology

My statement was factually correct. He denied believing 9/11 was an inside job. Let me quote him on how he appeared on the petition:

Van Jones Explains 9/11 Petition In One Of His First Post-White House Interviews (VIDEO)

Still waiting for your proof that the left believes 9/11 is an inside job.

And I have given you a reasonable answer to the question repeatedly. If you chose not to read my words, I can't help you.

So, it's settled, then.

We will rain down shock and awe upon Sydney.

Don't feel bad, Redress. You're not alone.

Julia Gillard can't name what law WikiLeaks has broken

Julia Gillard can't name what law WikiLeaks has broken

Why since his signature doesn't matter but his apology years later does? Interesting list of truthers which of course aren't part of the left. Apparently they are members of the right that just lost their way.

9/11 Truth movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I have given you a reasonable answer to the question repeatedly. If you chose not to read my words, I can't help you.

What specific law did he break, Redress? If you've answered this question, please direct me to the post.

Good on Julian. He willingly handed himself over to the British Police, hardly detained and "arrested" in the usual manner.
Europe will not hand him over to US if it even dreams of using the death penalty and finally. Interpol? ... REALLY?
What International law did Julian break exactly? US law, contrary to many Americans belief is limited to US borders. Those who should be jailed is the Americans employed who uploaded it. Julian Assange has done nothing wrong imo to justify the witch hunt US is performing.

If anyone is partially responsible for this leak. It should be Americans
They clambered in the aftermath of 9/11 and had a leave of common sense and actually allowed the US Government to pool all of their data in one place and then allow millions to get access to it. Real clever, I see no security flaws there at all. :doh

Last edited:

What specific law did he break, Redress? If you've answered this question, please direct me to the post.

Reading is fundamental.

The U.S. does not have an official secrets act. Bradley Manning is being prosecuted for violating his security clearance requirements and leaking the cables/classified reports. But, Julian Assange never had security clearance, and publishing this classified data on a European server is not a crime.

Here's the answer: Publishing those documents was not illegal. Embarrassing? Yes. Illegal? No. Immoral? Well, that's in the eye of the beholder.

That is not for you or I to determine. Neither of us knows all the laws involved in that. Further, that is not the only way in which he may have broken the law.

That is not for you or I to determine. Neither of us knows all the laws involved in that. Further, that is not the only way in which he may have broken the law.

I don't believe he broke any European law or Australia as it stands and who cares about US law?
He isn't American.

US should be going after those who uploaded the data onto his website. He didn't exactly stroll in and use a memory key to swipe it

I don't believe he broke any European law or Australia as it stands and who cares about US law?
He isn't American.

US should be going after those who uploaded the data onto his website. He didn't exactly stroll in and use a memory key to swipe it

You never know, he could be the first non Muslim resident at Gauntanemo Bay.

Bull****. We don't live in a freaking fascist regime....YET.

So you get to determine what the law is? My statement was factually correct(we don't determine the law) and has nothing to do with fascism. Prosecuting some one for breaking the law is hardly fascist. Emotional rhetoric at it's finest. Op ed pieces and rhetoric does not make for good debate.

I like that idea.

You are a sensible fellow, Spud.

Let's hope they don't mess with Humpty Do, though. That boxing Croc of their looks too mean to shock, much less awe. .

I don't believe he broke any European law or Australia as it stands and who cares about US law?He isn't American.

Uhhh, that would be me........and all of al qaeda's potential victims. :shock:

You never know, he could be the first non Muslim resident at Gauntanemo Bay.

LOL. What a mile stone!
He should NOT be deported to US under any circumstance.

Frankly I think UK should hand him over to the EU Courts.
I don't trust UK courts, too much US influence on our politics. We're not going to be able to be neutral in this judgement with US bitching down our ear to hand him over imo

“Our anger at WikiLeaks should not obscure the fact that it is Washington's absurd data-sharing policy that made this possible. That's the scandal here that needs fixing.” — FAREED ZAKARIA

There's an awful lot of foaming at the mouth lately by Americans in general and conservatives in particular. A more reasoned analysis shows that the diplomatic cable releases have at least up to this point not been all bad for Americans and American diplomacy.

He isn't American.

The US is going after those who took part in this.

His nationality is irrelevant. To use an example to illustrate(I realize that the comparison is not exact), if a Soviet had gone to Europe and tried to get some one at a US embassy to give him secret information, he would be guilty of spying, even though he has not entered the US, nor was he a US citizen.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…