• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why We Need Liberals

FreeThinker

DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 5, 2006
Messages
1,001
Reaction score
34
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Well I havn't posted anything here in like a month, but I'm drunk and bored so I'll drop a turd of wisdom on you ppl.

I can't stand liberals. You all must know this by now. I wish mikael moore would catch a bullet. BUT...

Unfortunately we need the voice of dissent. Whether or not the voice is right or not, it needs to be there. If it isn't, the people in power get comfortable. Too comfortable. Our leaders need to be under constant scrutiny to be effective. The second they don't have a fire under their asses they stop doing their jobs.

I hate liberals. I hate Howard Dean. But we need them to keep our government working properly.

When people stop critisizing our leaders, the status quo becomes such that people don't even think to question them. Then when someone finally questions a decision they are blacklisted or censored or even arrested.

Just want to say thank you idiot liberals for keeping our goverment on its toes and doing its job. Rest assured I'll be doing my part next time a bleeding heart dem gets elected.

--FREETHINKZOR

p.s. i cant be bothered to sp3llcheck any of this. so dont even try correcting me.
 

Captain America

Jedi Master
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 12, 2006
Messages
22,431
Reaction score
12,683
Location
Wisconsin
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Centrist
KCConservative said:
Drunk at 8:40 in the morning? :confused:
Well, by his own admission, he's a rightwinger. Wadda ya expect?

Maybe he's going quail hunting. Who knows? :confused:

:rofl
 

Sir_Alec

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 15, 2005
Messages
979
Reaction score
0
Location
Lansing, Michigan
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Ofcourse we need liberals. America needs smart people too. :mrgreen:
 

Davo

Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
143
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Sir_Alec said:
Ofcourse we need liberals. America needs smart people too. :mrgreen:
Well said lol
 

FreeThinker

DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 5, 2006
Messages
1,001
Reaction score
34
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
KCConservative said:
Drunk at 8:40 in the morning? :confused:
i work at night, so that was about 10 PM for me.

--edit, now that im sober that was the worst post i ever made.
 

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
8,682
Reaction score
262
Location
Philadelphia,PA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
FreeThinker said:
i work at night, so that was about 10 PM for me.

--edit, now that im sober that was the worst post i ever made.
Nope...

You got another 256 just as bad...

:2wave:
 

alphamale

Banned
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
FreeThinker said:
Well I havn't posted anything here in like a month, but I'm drunk and bored so I'll drop a turd of wisdom on you ppl.

I can't stand liberals. You all must know this by now. I wish mikael moore would catch a bullet. BUT...

Unfortunately we need the voice of dissent. Whether or not the voice is right or not, it needs to be there. If it isn't, the people in power get comfortable. Too comfortable. Our leaders need to be under constant scrutiny to be effective. The second they don't have a fire under their asses they stop doing their jobs.

I hate liberals. I hate Howard Dean. But we need them to keep our government working properly.

When people stop critisizing our leaders, the status quo becomes such that people don't even think to question them. Then when someone finally questions a decision they are blacklisted or censored or even arrested.

Just want to say thank you idiot liberals for keeping our goverment on its toes and doing its job. Rest assured I'll be doing my part next time a bleeding heart dem gets elected.

--FREETHINKZOR

p.s. i cant be bothered to sp3llcheck any of this. so dont even try correcting me.
You are wrong. "We" don't don't need ideas that may clearly be seen to have failed by anyone with an IQ above 80 and access to a history book. Intelligent dissent, and NEW ideas, by contrast, are very salutary for the republic.
 

ptsdkid

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 14, 2005
Messages
1,704
Reaction score
10
Location
New Hampshire
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
At first glance, I thought I was reading one of my postings. Then I realized this post is still sitting atop of the basement. When you sober up, you might want to reconsider the need for the anti-American liberal contingent among us. However, every time a Howard Dean or an Algore open their mouths'--the Republican Party inches that much closer to securing another important election seat.
 

-Demosthenes-

Internet Revolutionist
Joined
Oct 3, 2005
Messages
919
Reaction score
7
Location
USA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Those who are extreme liberals or conservatives may or may not be needed, but they are idiots. The fact that you identify with such a broad ideology as a liberal or a conservative is ridiculous. It requires you to conform to a very general list of ideas, and you are no long making up you own opinion, but taking it from others.
 

Iriemon

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 10, 2005
Messages
19,405
Reaction score
2,187
Location
Miami
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
We need liberals to come in and clean up the huge freakin' mess the conservatives leave the country in -- trillions of dollars in debt, polluted, corrupt, and engaged in ill considered wars. Of course, when the liberals fix things and get the country on even keel again, they get blamed for raising taxes or withdrawing from wars, and it starts all over again.
 

Trajan Octavian Titus

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
20,915
Reaction score
546
Location
We can't stop here this is bat country!
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Iriemon said:
We need liberals to come in and clean up the huge freakin' mess the conservatives leave the country in -- trillions of dollars in debt, polluted, corrupt, and engaged in ill considered wars. Of course, when the liberals fix things and get the country on even keel again, they get blamed for raising taxes or withdrawing from wars, and it starts all over again.
See but here's the thing no one is going to vote for a liberal who actually runs as a liberal, you have to trick people into thinking you're moderate in order to garner votes but nobody is going to fall for that twice. See ya in November, you'll be the one crying about stolen elections.
 

knsellout

New member
Joined
Mar 28, 2006
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
The reason we need Liberals is that they are the voice of progressive thought, the voice of our government progressing to meet the needs of a civilization as it evolves.

And without progressive thought, we'd still be in europe using slave labor, or being slave labor.

Unfortunately there seem to be too many liberals that think it's the Government's job to protect individuals from themselves.


The reason we need Conservatives, is that even though we face a brave new world of science and technology, we need to keep the vision of the original Constitution and the rights it provided...

Without this voice of caution, our rights would soon be replaced with government services, and we might have to fill out paperwork to be reviewed by a social worker in order to eat.

Unfortunately Conservatives tend to be in the pocket of Big Business, the Industrial Military Complex, and the Christian Coalition....

Remember the words of Adam Smith, and Do not give governing power to the merchant, for the merchant's interests rarely reflect the interests of the public as a whole.
 

alphamale

Banned
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Why do we need liberals?

Somebody has to pick the veggies after we get rid of the illegal aliens.
 
Joined
Sep 10, 2005
Messages
845
Reaction score
305
Location
Ohio
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Why do we need liberals?
Because neither the democrats nor the republicans are actually interesting in improving conditions in this country.
 

Arthur Fonzarelli

Active member
Joined
May 25, 2005
Messages
446
Reaction score
0
Location
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
alphamale said:
Why do we need liberals?

Somebody has to pick the veggies after we get rid of the illegal aliens.
funny thing - not a single veggie went unpicked the day a half million illegals took the day off work & wandered into the streets of LA - not a single veggie stand closed down - not a single grocery store ran out of veggies - HHHhhhMMMmmm - I guess they aren't as vital some folks want us to believe.
 

Iriemon

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 10, 2005
Messages
19,405
Reaction score
2,187
Location
Miami
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
alphamale said:
Why do we need liberals?

Somebody has to pick the veggies after we get rid of the illegal aliens.
What is so tough to find people to pick veggies? Hell, lots of people would do it for $20 an hour.
 

FreeThinker

DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 5, 2006
Messages
1,001
Reaction score
34
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Befuddled_Stoner said:
Why do we need liberals?
Because neither the democrats nor the republicans are actually interesting in improving conditions in this country.
Some democrats are liberals.

That statement didn't make any sense.
 

Billo_Really

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
FreeThinker,

You are absolutely right. Both sides need the other keep each one honest. But in answer to the question, "Why do we need liberals?", you can't have a liberal country without liberals in it. And whether neocon's admit it or not, we ARE a liberal country based on liberal principles.
 
Joined
Sep 10, 2005
Messages
845
Reaction score
305
Location
Ohio
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Some democrats call themselves liberal, and some actually try to enact liberal policy, but I think that Democrats, in the aggregate, are more moderate or even conservative than liberal.

Though I'm aware I'm being egocentristic, I still think that extirpating the grossly inefficacious debacle we call the war on drugs should be a high priority for anyone holding the appellation "liberal." This is just one example of why I think the democrats are spewing liberal talking points without pursuing liberal policies. They seem to spend so much time and energy within a small arc of the political spectrum, wrestling the republicans over the few people who actually vote and have views not completely calcified in place, that they disregard the huge numbers of people who don't vote because they think the entire system sucks.

A liberal, defined as one that advocates change, would think it necessary to change the rules of the system and make those people realize its actually worth the effort of paying attention to politics and voting. A conservative, defined as one resisting change, would be more focused on tweaking a few things here and applying a fresh coating of paint there, but essentially wants to keep things the way they are.

But I'm just a stoner repeating things I've heard smarter people say before, what would I know about any of that?
 

millsy

Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2006
Messages
233
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Arthur Fonzarelli said:
funny thing - not a single veggie went unpicked the day a half million illegals took the day off work & wandered into the streets of LA - not a single veggie stand closed down - not a single grocery store ran out of veggies - HHHhhhMMMmmm - I guess they aren't as vital some folks want us to believe.
And by that logic I guess mass transit in NYC is a waste too, because the city didn't fall apart last Christmas during the strike. Here here, let's get everyone in Manhattan driving a Suburban.
 

-Demosthenes-

Internet Revolutionist
Joined
Oct 3, 2005
Messages
919
Reaction score
7
Location
USA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Billo_Really said:
You are absolutely right. Both sides need the other keep each one honest. But in answer to the question, "Why do we need liberals?", you can't have a liberal country without liberals in it. And whether neocon's admit it or not, we ARE a liberal country based on liberal principles.
Although that may be true, we are possibly the most conservative western country.
 

Billo_Really

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Messages
18,930
Reaction score
1,040
Location
HBCA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Originally posted by -Demosthenes-:
Although that may be true, we are possibly the most conservative western country.
Don't remind me!
 

FreeThinker

DP Veteran
Joined
Jan 5, 2006
Messages
1,001
Reaction score
34
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
While you might be correct on america being the most conservative western nation, I think it is important to realize that we are not NEARLY as conservative as countries like Iran.

It takes a conservative to beat a conservative.
 
Top Bottom