• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Shouldn't We Legalize?

So you want more failing policy to be enacted? We already tried alcohol prohibition and all we got out of it was NASCAR

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Narcotics. I see no use for them. Hell, I go out of my way to avoid taking pain medications and things like that as much as possible. I don't believe they're necessary, and the illicit ones most definitely are not.

Again, until we actually invoke real PENALTIES for the people and governments that choose to break these laws, nothing will change.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Narcotics. I see no use for them. Hell, I go out of my way to avoid taking pain medications and things like that as much as possible. I don't believe they're necessary, and the illicit ones most definitely are not.

Again, until we actually invoke real PENALTIES for the people and governments that choose to break these laws, nothing will change.

I refused pain medicine when I broke my ankle and every reinjury afterwards. I do not drink alcohol. The only thing I have done is smoked marijuana on occasion. I do not like to be around drunk people and I think alcohol does more damage than good. That doesn't mean we should enact death penalties for drinkers

I refused pain medicine when I broke my ankle and every reinjury afterwards. I do not drink alcohol. The only thing I have done is smoked marijuana on occasion. I do not like to be around drunk people and I think alcohol does more damage than good. That doesn't mean we should enact death penalties for drinkers

Tell that to the families of people who have lost loved ones to drunk drivers. Unfortunately the vst majority of human beings are incapable of actually making good decisions >95% of the time. It's just a fact.

Tell that to the families of people who have lost loved ones to drunk drivers. Unfortunately the vst majority of human beings are incapable of actually making good decisions >95% of the time. It's just a fact.

But the government cannot control our decisions. Humans cannot be controlled in such a manner. Thats the good and bad of free will

But the government cannot control our decisions. Humans cannot be controlled in such a manner. Thats the good and bad of free will

Which is why I have little use for unfettered free will in a society. What government CAN do is to severely and permanently punish those who make mistakes with their decisions; therby ensuring they don't have the opportunity to repeat them.

Which is why I have little use for unfettered free will in a society. What government CAN do is to severely and permanently punish those who make mistakes with their decisions; therby ensuring they don't have the opportunity to repeat them.

You're proving my thesis that extreme conservatism is just as communist as extreme liberalism. Those sentences may just be in 1984 by Orwell

You're proving my thesis that extreme conservatism is just as communist as extreme liberalism. Those sentences may just be in 1984 by Orwell

Not quite, but there are similarities. The common idea is that human beings are just too stupid to make a lot of decisions for themselves without a degree of assistance and limitations.

As for your sausage analogy, yes, they can prevent the sale of that sausage, so in a way, same thing.

They may be able to prevent the sale, but just look what happens to members of government when they try to hide the sausage inappropriately.

Clinton tried that right in the white house, and just look where that got him.

Because in our weak minded society, without constraints. We will become a bunch of drug addled zombies.

We already are. Do you ever watch the evening news on the main networks? They are inundated with ads for drugs. That's because humans use alot of drugs for many many perceived benefits, many reasons.

Legal and illegal, drugs are big business. Legal is way better for society than illegal.

We already are. Do you ever watch the evening news on the main networks? They are inundated with ads for drugs. That's because humans use alot of drugs for many many perceived benefits, many reasons.

Legal and illegal, drugs are big business. Legal is way better for society than illegal.
Yea, great. So the next time you are laying in bed and some horse addict is breaking in, are you ready to defend your home and protect your family?
Because he is breaking in to steal whatever because he cant find a job that will hire a heroin addict.

Yea, great. So the next time you are laying in bed and some horse addict is breaking in, are you ready to defend your home and protect your family?
Because he is breaking in to steal whatever because he cant find a job that will hire a heroin addict.

Scared much? :shock:

Scared much? :shock:

Not one iota. Not scared to defend, not scared to protect not scared to kill.
But if you think a bunch of dopers running around stealing everything they can get their hands on is a good thing. You need to look at your priorities.

Not one iota. Not scared to defend, not scared to protect not scared to kill.
But if you think a bunch of dopers running around stealing everything they can get their hands on is a good thing. You need to look at your priorities.

No, I don't think that, and I wonder why you think I would think that way? :confused:

And I argue for a model that would minimize or even eliminate dopers stealing to support their habits.

No, I don't think that, and I wonder why you think I would think that way? :confused:

And I argue for a model that would minimize or even eliminate dopers stealing to support their habits.
I argue for one or the other, let them die off and let the rest of us kill them off as they step out of line.
This country is falling apart due in part to the pervasiveness of drugs. It isnt the "war on drugs" that is the problem. Its the people that make worthless wastes of their lives from dope.
Who is going to pay for your "model"? Taxpayers.
Who pays for the crack addict that is found in the street ODing. Taxpayers do, then pay for his on going care then his rehab. I say screw them and let the die.
We have too many people that are willing to be burdens on the rest of us by way of Uncle Sap.

With a much lower cost and unlimitted supply through decriminalization (or legalization), the typical hard drug user will self destruct (overdose) in relativley short order. That is the most honest form of drug educaton possible - observing reality 101. After observing people going from hero to zero by (ab)using these drugs the truth will become apparent to all.

With a much lower cost and unlimitted supply through decriminalization (or legalization), the typical hard drug user will self destruct (overdose) in relativley short order. That is the most honest form of drug educaton possible - observing reality 101. After observing people going from hero to zero by (ab)using these drugs the truth will become apparent to all.

Famous people go from hero to zero all the time. Other people still keep doing it. Rehab shows are some of the most popular reality TV shows. People still do it.
We have all watched someone we know get hooked, then die off little by little.
And in the mean time? What are they doing? Stealing from everyone they know, then branching out and stealing from strangers.

I argue for one or the other, let them die off and let the rest of us kill them off as they step out of line.
This country is falling apart due in part to the pervasiveness of drugs. It isnt the "war on drugs" that is the problem. Its the people that make worthless wastes of their lives from dope.
Who is going to pay for your "model"? Taxpayers.
Who pays for the crack addict that is found in the street ODing. Taxpayers do, then pay for his on going care then his rehab. I say screw them and let the die.
We have too many people that are willing to be burdens on the rest of us by way of Uncle Sap.

No, this country is falling apart because of the absence of constitutional governance, rather like Ike suggested way back in 1961.

This country is falling apart because of foolish and harmful drug policy, which also happens to be an unconstitutional policy. That is, the government has no authority to tell the citizen what he may not put into his own body.

The country is falling apart because the average person cannot see the forest for the trees, and have not been educated in the dynamics of prohibition as an economic model. It's not really rocket science, but the average person doesn't even know that several american Nobel Laureates in Economics have decades ago pointed out the fallacies and dangers of prohibition. They won the Nobel Prize in Economics, and I'm supposed to take you seriously as you advocate for failed policies. Please dude.

Famous people go from hero to zero all the time. Other people still keep doing it. Rehab shows are some of the most popular reality TV shows. People still do it.
We have all watched someone we know get hooked, then die off little by little.
And in the mean time? What are they doing? Stealing from everyone they know, then branching out and stealing from strangers.

Yep. After decades of the "war on drugs" we have succeeded only in driving up the profits (to organized crime and gangs) and elevating the street price (requiring more user property crime), not in reducing the usage or availability of these drugs.

No, this country is falling apart because of the absence of constitutional governance, rather like Ike suggested way back in 1961.

This country is falling apart because of foolish and harmful drug policy, which also happens to be an unconstitutional policy. That is, the government has no authority to tell the citizen what he may not put into his own body.

The country is falling apart because the average person cannot see the forest for the trees, and have not been educated in the dynamics of prohibition as an economic model. It's not really rocket science, but the average person doesn't even know that several american Nobel Laureates in Economics have decades ago pointed out the fallacies and dangers of prohibition. They won the Nobel Prize in Economics, and I'm supposed to take you seriously as you advocate for failed policies. Please dude.
The government really dont tell you what you can put in your body. Its the buying, selling, manufacture of dope that is really the illegal part.
Policies that failed, failed because they were not followed through properly. They wanted to have the half assed feel good measure to them.

Yep. After decades of the "war on drugs" we have succeeded only in driving up the profits (to organized crime and gangs) and elevating the street price (requiring more user property crime), not in reducing the usage or availability of these drugs.

Again, no follow through. We coddled the criminals and hugged the addicts. When the sellers should be doing life or more, and the users being allowed to just dry up and blow away.

When the government says its illegal to possess a certain substance, it's telling you what you cannot put inside your own body.

Again, no follow through. We coddled the criminals and hugged the addicts. When the sellers should be doing life or more, and the users being allowed to just dry up and blow away.

Yep. Just like during alcohol prohibition. You are never going to eliminate the supply so long as demand exists.

I know people who watched the crack epidemic firsthand.

It took a chunk out of a generation. But the younger one that witnessed it were less likely to fall for it. And the next less so and so on.

I have three questions for you:

1. Are you a law enforcement professional?

2. Are you a criminal lawyer?

3. Do you have anything to do with the penal system?

If so, I'd be very surprised because you don't seem to know much at all about how little our criminal justice system "coddles" criminals and "hugs" addicts.

I'm also curious to know why you think you are "moderate?" As in moderate fascism? Or moderate totalitarianism? I've checked your posts and you have never made a moderate comment in this forum. I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm just wondering what you feel "moderate" about? LOL

Back
Top Bottom