• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why is Nothing Done About Illegal Immigration?

Hiring someone who is an illegal alien sounds like cheap labor to me. You can re-define all you want. It is slavery in my books.

It can be in your book all you want. It does not make it so. You also have failed to address the issue of hiring an illegal is against the law, and it is against the law to be in the US without permission. You have yet to provide data that the majority of workers for "big business" are illegals.

Use your brains. I'm not going to defend what I have said because you won't hear. It's your defense mechanisms, thinking that big corporations are "ethical" in everything they do.

"No one is more hopelessly enslaved, than those who perceive they are free." Van Goethe

Use your brains. I'm not going to defend what I have said because you won't hear. It's your defense mechanisms, thinking that big corporations are "ethical" in everything they do.

"No one is more hopelessly enslaved, than those who perceive they are free." Van Goethe

No one has said big corps are ethical in everything they do. Most poster I have seen on any illegal immigration threads state that companies that hire illegal aliens are part of the problem. It is a shame you fail to understand our govt is responsible for immigration and border security.

You have a right to your opinion, even if its (imo) misguided.

:lamo :lamo :lamo :lamo :lamo Big corporations ETHICAL! OMG What a laugh! Those words should really NOT be in the same sentence you know.

And you haven't even attempted to defend anything. All that you have done is make an idiotic claim which was handed back to you wrung out, cooked in lava and served to you on a silver platter. And you have shown yourself not to be man enough to admit that you were wrong. I'm quite done with you on the "slave" comment. If you happen to have anything else bring it on by. I'll be happy to disabuse you of your notions again.

Even you used the word "hiring". You do know that slaves do not get paid right?

And I'm not re-defining anything. Anyone with a 3rd year education knows that slavery is forcing someone to work with out pay and keeping them against their will.

Please show me where illegals do not get paid, do not get to leave work whenever they want to, and are forced to come to the US in order to work.

I don't care if you want to defend illegals, but at least be honest to both me and yourself.

The "Slaves" could always buy their freedom at any time they wanted, so they weren't really slaves. Maybe they should have saved up their money instead of buying booze and clean underwear with it.

You really don't understand the meaning of "slavery" do you? Slavery is keeping a person against their will and forcing them to work. Please show evidence that 25% of illegals that are of working age are held against their will and forced to work.

And in case you are wondering why I said "25% of illegals that are of working age" it is because the rest, 75%, use stolen or fake identities to work at regular jobs for regular pay. Which means as far as the employer knows they are legal citizens....IE as far as the employer's are concerned all labor laws apply and they treat them as such.

Would you like to try again for strike 3?

I'm sure old Dixie South said the same thing.

"These aren't really slaves. The slaves of the Roman Empire were killed by the tens of thousands for not meeting a quota, our "slaves" are treated much better, heck I wouldn't even call it "slavery" if it were up to me..........y'all."

Where did he say that American's are harder working than any other nationality?

And the reason that you don't see American's at a gas station or the local Home Depot is because American's do have a few advantages that illegal aliens cannot take advantage of. Like the unemployment office.

The reason you don't see Americans at gas stations and at the local Home Depot is because the Cheap Foreign Labor pushed them out of the marketplace and Americans don't like earning slave wages. If it weren't for the "unemployment office", there would be allot of looted rich houses.

Hard working Americans? Are you under the assumption that Americans are naturally harder workers than any other nationality only because they are American? Obvious nativist viewpoint. As Thunder said before, I don't see unemployed Americans waiting at a gas station with the immigrants waiting for a day labor van to pick them up. There is ALWAYS demand for simple yard and house labor at cheap pay, so illegals obviously aren't taking those jobs. There are plenty of spots to be filled, and if I wanted to, I could join them and hop in the van with them to go do some construction as well.

Not if you don't speak Spanish, and want to earn slave wages.

The "Slaves" could always buy their freedom at any time they wanted, so they weren't really slaves. Maybe they should have saved up their money instead of buying booze and clean underwear with it.

Those were called serfs not slaves. They were one step above slaves.

bull****. they take jobs that Americans often don't want & refuse to do.

just look at what's happening in Alabama. illegal aliens have vanished, and the citizens refuse to fill in the gaps where the jobs have opened up. why? cause the work is too physically demanding and monotonous for lazy Americans who think they're too good for menial labor that's boring.

if I was unemployed, I'd just hang out with the illegals by Home Depot, and do low-level construction. those jobs exist all over, but they are hard work and many Americans are too ****ing lazy & engrained with a false sense of entitlement, to do them.

Bull****... illegals took jobs by under cutting the pay of Americans and taking many jobs that teenagers used to take thus creating a permanent near slave class of under-paid over-worked "employees"

Bull****... illegals took jobs by under cutting the pay of Americans and taking many jobs that teenagers used to take thus creating a permanent near slave class of under-paid over-worked "employees"

Which jobs that teenagers used to take would these be? Were teenagers, for example, stripping the beds and doing the housecleaning of motels? Working construction? Which jobs did illegals take from teens?

Which jobs that teenagers used to take would these be? Were teenagers, for example, stripping the beds and doing the housecleaning of motels? Working construction? Which jobs did illegals take from teens?

Actually once upon a time teenagers did indeed do all these things. Plus some. They use to work in the fields of farmers, they use to dig ditches, etc etc.

The Alabama law is horrendous. It requires school officials to interrogate K-12 students about their legal status and the status of their parents. Thousands of children of Latino descent have suddenly vanished from the classroom and (as has been pointed out by other posters), crops are being left to rot in the fields. The people of Alabama do not realize that their own food prices will soon skyrocket as a direct result of this bill. The belief that these are American jobs being stolen by foreigners is absolutely bogus. Labor is a commodity faced with the economic forces of demand and supply. If American citizens truly wanted to work the fields for long hard hours at minimum wage and sub-minimum wage standards, there wouldn't be a need for foreign workers. In fact, foreign workers have been tilling the fields for generations. In the past, it was historically known that these immigrants would come on a seasonal basis and would return home after the closing of the harvest season. The greatest incentive for the illegal immigrant population is the benefits of the welfare state. I say we must allow greater freedom of movement between borders while simultaneously cutting the social services incentives. The high regulation and tax structure is also a factor in driving companies to invest in cheaper labor abroad.

The Alabama law is horrendous. It requires school officials to interrogate K-12 students about their legal status and the status of their parents. Thousands of children of Latino descent have suddenly vanished from the classroom and (as has been pointed out by other posters), crops are being left to rot in the fields. The people of Alabama do not realize that their own food prices will soon skyrocket as a direct result of this bill. The belief that these are American jobs being stolen by foreigners is absolutely bogus. Labor is a commodity faced with the economic forces of demand and supply. If American citizens truly wanted to work the fields for long hard hours at minimum wage and sub-minimum wage standards, there wouldn't be a need for foreign workers. In fact, foreign workers have been tilling the fields for generations. In the past, it was historically known that these immigrants would come on a seasonal basis and would return home after the closing of the harvest season. The greatest incentive for the illegal immigrant population is the benefits of the welfare state. I say we must allow greater freedom of movement between borders while simultaneously cutting the social services incentives. The high regulation and tax structure is also a factor in driving companies to invest in cheaper labor abroad.

Bold: Don't care if they are Latino. But if they are here illegal then good, glad they are leaving. That's money that will be spent on actual American's or LEGAL immigrants.

Underlined: Really? It's freaking winter. What crops are there?

Red: I've shown time and again that food prices won't go up but a few cents. Besides, if Alabama is like any other state the grocery stores there import most of their food. :roll:

Blue: Americans do those same damn jobs. Why is it that people always say this? Do you honestly believe that our entire agriculture and construction industry is completely inhabited by illegals? Get freaking real. As for the wages, there are tons of American's making minimum wage...which is the lowest that Americans can work for legally. Oh, and fyi...those that work in the berry fields? They don't get paid by the hour. They get paid by the pound or ounce depending on the berry. Which means that someone doing that job could potentially make up to $6/hr more than minimum wage. (I know, I did it)

Green: Don't care.

Orange: This is true. Maybe perhaps we should stop them from being able to take advantage of it instead of taking it away or reducing it from American's just because of illegals? You know, don't let them go to our schools, don't give out birth right citizenship to illegals etc etc etc.

Brown: No.

Rest: True. So we fix it.

Bold: Don't care if they are Latino. But if they are here illegal then good, glad they are leaving. That's money that will be spent on actual American's or LEGAL immigrants.

Underlined: Really? It's freaking winter. What crops are there?

Red: I've shown time and again that food prices won't go up but a few cents. Besides, if Alabama is like any other state the grocery stores there import most of their food. :roll:

Blue: Americans do those same damn jobs. Why is it that people always say this? Do you honestly believe that our entire agriculture and construction industry is completely inhabited by illegals? Get freaking real. As for the wages, there are tons of American's making minimum wage...which is the lowest that Americans can work for legally. Oh, and fyi...those that work in the berry fields? They don't get paid by the hour. They get paid by the pound or ounce depending on the berry. Which means that someone doing that job could potentially make up to $6/hr more than minimum wage. (I know, I did it)

Green: Don't care.

Orange: This is true. Maybe perhaps we should stop them from being able to take advantage of it instead of taking it away or reducing it from American's just because of illegals? You know, don't let them go to our schools, don't give out birth right citizenship to illegals etc etc etc.

Brown: No.

Rest: True. So we fix it.

It doesn't surprise me that a man who believes those who text while driving should be thrown in jail would support the draconian law of interrogating innocent children. Tell me, whether or not they stay or leave the country, what benefits are there for forcing children out of the education system? You might see a small return in tax revenue, but it certainly will not even out if these kids turn to the streets for an income.

would support the draconian law of interrogating innocent children.

Where in the world do you see me saying that?

Tell me, whether or not they stay or leave the country, what benefits are there for forcing children out of the education system? You might see a small return in tax revenue, but it certainly will not even out if these kids turn to the streets for an income.

Forcing illegal children out of our school system will leave more money going towards other things, like children in need. It will also put less pressure on our teachers by not having to teach and watch over children that shouldn't be there in the first place. It will also allow teachers to give more time to those students that need the extra 1 on 1. There will be less crowding in schools also. It will also remove an incentive for illegals to come here since they will realize that they won't be getting hand outs anymore.

Where in the world do you see me saying that?

You support the Alabama law, correct? Perhaps you should read it.

Forcing illegal children out of our school system will leave more money going towards other things, like children in need. It will also put less pressure on our teachers by not having to teach and watch over children that shouldn't be there in the first place. It will also allow teachers to give more time to those students that need the extra 1 on 1. There will be less crowding in schools also. It will also remove an incentive for illegals to come here since they will realize that they won't be getting hand outs anymore.

Again, you may see some benefits on the surface. But I don't think shoving so many youngsters out on the street without giving them a proper education will do our justice system any good.

You support the Alabama law, correct? Perhaps you should read it.

Link it and quote the relevant part.

Again, you may see some benefits on the surface. But I don't think shoving so many youngsters out on the street without giving them a proper education will do our justice system any good.

Send them back to thier country of origin or convince thier parents to do so and our streets and justice system will be just fine.

Link it and quote the relevant part.

ENROLLED, An Act,
Relating to illegal immigration; to define terms; to require the Attorney General to attempt to negotiate a Memorandum of Agreement under certain conditions; to require a person to present proof of citizenship and residency before voting; to preclude any state or local government or official from refusing to assist the federal government in the enforcement of federal immigration laws; to prohibit an alien unlawfully present in the United States from receiving any state or local public benefits; to prohibit a person not lawfully present from being eligible on the basis of residence for education benefits; to require business entities or employers seeking economic incentives to verify the employment eligibility of their employees and to provide penalties; to require an illegal alien to possess certain documents already required by federal law and to provide penalties; to prohibit an unauthorized alien from seeking employment in this state and to provide penalties; to require the verification of the legal status of persons by law enforcement officers under certain circumstances; to criminalize certain behavior relating to concealing, harboring, shielding, or attempting to conceal, harbor, or shield unauthorized aliens and to provide penalties; to create the crime of dealing in false identification documents and the crime of vital records identity fraud and to provide penalties; to prohibit a business entity, employer, or public employer from knowingly employing an unauthorized alien and to provide penalties; to prohibit certain deductible business expenses; to make it a discriminatory practice for a business entity or employer to fail to hire a legally present job applicant or discharge an employee while retaining an employee who is an unauthorized alien under certain conditions; to require the verification of legal status of every alien charged with a crime for which bail is required; to amend Section 32-6-9 of the Code of Alabama 1975, relating to driver’s licenses; to require law enforcement to detain any alien whose lawful immigration status cannot be verified under certain conditions; to require notification of the United States Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the Alabama Department of Homeland Security when an unlawfully present alien is convicted of state law; to provide for a stay of the provisions of this act when an alien unlawfully present is a victim or critical witness of a crime under certain conditions; to authorize the Alabama Department of Homeland Security to hire state police officers and give the department enforcement power under certain conditions; to provide penalties for solicitation, attempt, or conspiracy to violate this act; to require the Alabama Department of Homeland Security to file a quarterly report with the Legislature under certain conditions; to require the Alabama Department of Homeland Security to establish and maintain an E-Verify employer agent service under certain conditions; to prohibit the enforcement of certain contracts under certain conditions; to require public schools to determine the citizenship and immigration status of students enrolling; to require school districts to compile certain data and submit reports to the State Board of Education; to require the State Board of Education to submit an annual report to the Legislature; to further provide for eligibility and requirements for voter registration; to establish a state election board; to provide duties of the board; to provide that a person may obtain a certified copy of a birth certificate from the Department of Public Health free of charge under certain conditions; to prohibit an alien not lawfully present from entering into a business transaction under certain conditions and provide penalties; to prohibit a landlord from knowingly entering into a rental agreement to harbor an illegal alien and provide penalties; and in connection therewith would have as its purpose or effect the requirement of a new or increased expenditure of local funds within the meaning of Amendment 621 of the Constitution of Alabama of 1901, now appearing as Section 111.05 of the Official Recompilation of the Constitution of Alabama of 1901, as amended.

Send them back to thier country of origin or convince thier parents to do so and our streets and justice system will be just fine.

That is nationalistic, xenophobic, inflammatory rhetoric. Of course, you'll have to find them in order to deport them. You think the government will find and deport them before they start committing to a life of crime? Naturally, the crimes will come before the deportation and in many cases it is wise to imprison the illegal criminals rather than to deport them (deporting them allows them to roam freely in their own country- giving them the possibility to return).

I saw nothing in the law requiring interogatiion of students. It does require someone (parent/gardian) to provide information that they are in the country/state legally.
That is not the same as interogating someone.

I saw nothing in the law requiring interogatiion of students. It does require someone (parent/gardian) to provide information that they are in the country/state legally.
That is not the same as interogating someone.

SPLC Ready for Long Legal Battle Over Alabama

The provision has been temporarily blocked. Where did you see "require parent/guardian to provide information?"

SPLC Ready for Long Legal Battle Over Alabama

The provision has been temporarily blocked. Where did you see "require parent/guardian to provide information?"

Normally a student doesn't enroll themselves. Where do you see it saying that they are allowed to ask children as to thier immigration status? The provision that you outline specifically states that they are to determine thier immigration status as the student is being enrolled. Which means instead of a school requireing just a birth certificate and immunization shots from the parents they will now require an SS number or a greencard.

Your link here is using false propaganda.

Back
Top Bottom