• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why is Nothing Done About Illegal Immigration?

The reason nothing changes is simple: this is how corporate America likes it. Why would agricultural, food service, and construction companies give up their sweet deal? By keeping 12 million people "illegal," they are provided with a desperate, second-class work force that can be underpaid and has no recourse about labor conditions in a court of law. Illegal immigrants are the dream workforce of corporate america... which is why they will never be granted citizenship OR be deported until government reasserts its athority over corporations... which means never.

Would you rather pay taxes on a larger border patrol or for welfare and jailtime of illegals? Plus, wouldn't a larger border patrol mean more jobs? If the border patrol was expanded, there would be business opportunities to provide goods and services to a source of steady income. Seems like an opportunity to put two and two together for some politician...

Because politicians are afraid of the cartels.

Only if Az could get SB1070 in her court. this is good for Ala.

"U.S. District Judge Sharon Blackburn, appointed by Republican President George H.W. Bush, wrote in her 115-page opinion that some parts of the law are in conflict with federal statutes, but others aren't.

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) – A federal judge refused Wednesday to block key parts of a closely watched Alabama law that is considered the strictest state effort to clamp down on illegal immigration, including a measure that requires immigration status checks of public school students.

"She said federal law doesn't prohibit checking students or suspects pulled over by police. She also refused to stop provisions that allow police to hold suspected illegal immigrants without bond; bar state courts from enforcing contracts involving illegal immigrants; make it a felony for an illegal immigrant to do business with the state; and make it a misdemeanor for an illegal resident not to have immigration papers."

Judge lets key parts of Alabama immigration law stand

"For at least 5 years the illegal immigration debate has been on the forefront of American politics and the narrative presented by popular media is that of a nation divided on the question of border control. Routinely organizations that support border control, like the minutemen, are accused of racism and derided for their focus on the Mexican border instead of other sources of illegal immigration.

Despite the personal attacks and biased media coverage the American people have consistently responded to polls in favor of border control strong enough to “halt the flow of illegal immigrants into the US.” In fact a recent Gallup poll pegged the number of U.S. citizens who think border control is important at 94% with 53% saying it was extremely important! This is the highest number this poll has seen since 2006 when a whopping 96% of Americans said border control is important, 43% of which saying it was extremely important."

So why no real push for immigration reform?

Fully Cited Article
There are lots of reasons:

1. Bigger issues affecting more people to resolve
2. Lack of money
3. Lack of practical solutions
4. Lack of political (strategic) solutions
5. Lack of consensus

Illegal immigration doesn't affect many people. They hold jobs, but a lot of it is work that is in very low demand and/or illegal in itself (e.g., where they are being paid less than minimum wage). Expelling illegal immigrants might actually cause a significant number of small businesses to go under. Let's also not forget that while illegal immigrants may not pay taxes, they do contribute to consumer demand. Expelling a bunch of people from the country during a time of low demand isn't the best idea.

I also worry what these people may end up doing if they can't come into this country to work. I'd rather have an illegal immigrant come in and be employed in a convenient store or work as a cleaner than come in and rob people.

Overall, illegal immigration is probably the issue I care least about. If anything it just makes some of the things I buy cheaper. I'm not that concerned with how businesses mistreat illegal aliens (financially) because they are, at the end of the day, illegal aliens, not citizens. I worry about the security of our border, but not much beyond that.

alot of the illegals that everyone is screaming about are actually hard workers. Not all, but many of them are paying their bills, putting the kids in school, and *trying* to become productive members of society, and to provide for their families, which is the only reason they came here to start with.

This article from the Montgomery Adviser entitled, "Immigrants find legal paths to US long, difficult," speaks to this issue. However, the focus is placed largely on the length of time it takes to process immigration VISA applications. Per the article, it takes anywhere between 8-25 years to process a VISA depending on various factors, i.e., U.S. quota requirements on counrty of origin, purpose for the VISA, applicant income and education levels, just to name a few.

I think if people watched the C-SPAN video (see page 4, post #38) and read the article herein they'd have a different perspective on our nation's immigration problem. While I do agree that every illegal alien who wishes to work here, study here, tour the country or even become naturalized U.S. citizens should go through the proper INA process like everyone else, I also realize that there are illegal immigrants out there who are trying to do the right thing; it's not their fault our immigration system is so screwed up. The process does need to be streamlined and expedited faster, but we also need to weed out the criminal elements so that we retain the more promising future citizens.

most of you are all All Immigrants so whats the problem in the USA,the whitehouse is full of Scots Irish and English,

so there you go,i can mension so many Presidents from the uk from the mayflower and all that.''

Tommybhoy Jefferson and the rest,haha so just get on with it,and let them in.yes,thats how u are there thanks to the uk.

kind regards

mikeey

most of you are all All Immigrants so whats the problem in the USA,the whitehouse is full of Scots Irish and English,

so there you go,i can mension so many Presidents from the uk from the mayflower and all that.''

Tommybhoy Jefferson and the rest,haha so just get on with it,and let them in.yes,thats how u are there thanks to the uk.

kind regards

mikeey

Once again, nobody is saying immigration is bad. It is illegal immigration that many have an issue with.

Simply put, there's too much political capital and energy on the part of politicians being poured into other debates right now (debt limit, budget, economy) to worry about immigration reform.

Poppycock! I don't buy that excuse for 1 minute! If our government really wanted to secure our border, they could overnight. We exert more force and spend a gargantuan amount of money securing the borders between North and South Korea. We no longer have a government for and by the people, we have a government opposed to the people.

Poppycock! I don't buy that excuse for 1 minute! If our government really wanted to secure our border, they could overnight. We exert more force and spend a gargantuan amount of money securing the borders between North and South Korea. We no longer have a government for and by the people, we have a government opposed to the people.

At the rate Congress is getting work done? I doubt it.

At the rate Congress is getting work done? I doubt it.

You have a point, but if they truly had securing the border on their minds, if the globalist cabal wanted to secure our border, try and stop them!

NBC News - whioch some criticize as being too liberal - had another one of their nightly news features last night on the border problems with Mexico. They showed aerial footage of obvious Mexican drug smugglers and their activities going in and out of the USA.

http://dailynightly.msnbc.msn.com/_...g-smugglers-alley-by-air-along-the-rio-grande

So an honest question here - if we can film this, why is not something done to stop this? And lease do not use this as an excuse to rant about immigration. I am talking about a pure police action to stop this type of activity.

Last edited:
So an honest question here - if we can film this, why is not something done to stop this? And lease do not use this as an excuse to rant about immigration. I am talking about a pure police action to stop this type of activity.

Cliff Notes version: Because the US government doesn't want to. Like I said, our government opposes our wishes. We are not allowed to enforce our border laws. Our President, who is supposed to stand for our interests, sued Arizona with the Mexican President on their immigration law. I don't think there's any question as to whose side our lawmaking body is on.

Last edited:
haymarket said:
So an honest question here - if we can film this, why is not something done to stop this?

Here's an interesting thought... if the southern border was suddenly shut down so tight that nobody and nothing could get across without approval, what would happen to the Drug War? Wouldn't that suddenly put a lot of people out of work? (I'm sure there's a conspiracy about this out there somewhere but haymarket's post just made me consider this.)

Cliff Notes version: Because the US government doesn't want to. Like I said, our government opposes our wishes. We are not allowed to enforce our border laws. Our President, who is supposed to stand for our interests, sued Arizona with the Mexican President on their immigration law. I don't think there's any question as to whose side our lawmaking body is on.

I don't think it's within the means of the government to secure the border... we'd have to you know... spend a few dozen billion dollars to do it right and then costs in maintaining it thereafter. The US doesnt have the political will to do much except invade little countries on false pretenses.

I don't think it's within the means of the government to secure the border... we'd have to you know... spend a few dozen billion dollars to do it right and then costs in maintaining it thereafter. The US doesnt have the political will to do much except invade little countries on false pretenses.

If we can hand out billion$ to Israel and her enemies, secure the border between N. and S. Korea, spend a trillion $ on a stimuless, as well as spend billions on entitlements for illegals, it would benefit us in the long term to secure the border.

If we can hand out billion$ to Israel and her enemies, secure the border between N. and S. Korea, spend a trillion $ on a stimuless, as well as spend billions on entitlements for illegals, it would benefit us in the long term to secure the border.

K, bro, getter done...

So local law enforcement authorities have any power at all to step in regarding activities like we saw in the film? It would seem to me that open criminality committed upon US soil could be dealt with by local or state authorities.

Simply saying that the feds do not want to enforce our border laws in the face of what we see on the NBC video just does not seem to cover it.

Last edited:
So local law enforcement authorities have any power at all to step in regarding activities like we saw in the film? It would seem to me that open criminality committed upon US soil could be dealt with by local or state authorities.

If Local and state law enforcement would have full authority, yes they probably could secure the border, but then alot of crime in their locales would go on unfettered. We are in a war, and the enemy has been armed by our very own government.

Simply saying that the feds do not want to enforce our border laws in the face of what we see on the NBC video just does not seem to cover it.

Well the federal government does not want to, that does not mean there aren't patriotic Americans who won't try to enforce our laws. But the way to solvent this mouse problem, is to remove all the cheese lying around, NOT build a wall. Why do these people risk their lives transporting marijuana? Because it's illegal, and there's money to be made. There will always be a fiscally challenged person willing to be a mule. But if suddenly pot was legal, and you could get it anywhere without fear of being arrested, these drug mules and cartels would immediately be out of business.

Statistically, all getting rid of illegal immigrants would do is damage to local economy- increasing grocery prices and expanding larger corporations (which would pretty much nullify any tax revenue increases). Other than disrupting people looking for opportunity after fleeing a country wartorn due to our drug policies and abuse.

Last edited:
Statistically, all getting rid of illegal immigrants would do is damage to local economy- increasing grocery prices and expanding larger corporations (which would pretty much nullify any tax revenue increases). Other than disrupting people looking for opportunity after fleeing a country wartorn due to our drug policies and abuse.

Bold part: That is such a tired old talking point. It is said to scare people and nothing more. Will prices increase? Sure. But it won't increase that much. The amount that it will increase won't be a drop in the bucket when compared to the fact that thousands, even millions of legal residents and native born Americans will be able to go back to work, pay thier bills and pay more in taxes.

Low-paid illegal work force has little impact on prices

We should treat anyone illegally in the US exactly the way a US citizen would be treated in the illegal's home country.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Bold part: That is such a tired old talking point. It is said to scare people and nothing more. Will prices increase? Sure. But it won't increase that much. The amount that it will increase won't be a drop in the bucket when compared to the fact that thousands, even millions of legal residents and native born Americans will be able to go back to work, pay thier bills and pay more in taxes.

Low-paid illegal work force has little impact on prices

Did you even read that article? It explicitly states that illegal immigrants increased pay for college graduates and decreased prices on groceries, hotels, housing, etc... Even if it is as small of a benefit as your article claims (an article local to Seattle), why get rid of that? Interesting how conservatives flip-out over marginal tax increases to the wealthy when that would actually benefit the economy.

We should treat anyone illegally in the US exactly the way a US citizen would be treated in the illegal's home country.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

By that logic, we should use car-bombs to target terrorists. There's a reason we don't do things like Mexico- we're better.

Last edited:
Did you even read that article? It explicitly states that illegal immigrants increased pay for college graduates and decreased prices on groceries, hotels, housing, etc... Even if it is as small of a benefit as your article claims (an article local to Seattle), why get rid of that? Interesting how conservatives flip-out over marginal tax increases to the wealthy when that would actually benefit the economy.

A few points here.

1: I never said that there wouldn't be an increase to how much things cost. But the amount of increase is negligable compared to the benefits that I already mentioned. As is the "real wage increase" that colleage educated people get.

2: I'm not a conservative. I'm independent. I believe that we do need tax increases. But not just for the wealthy. The increase should be across the board. At least until most of the deficit is paid off. I also believe in cuts to spending across the board.

3: Getting rid of at least 90% of illegals would help with a lot of the money problems that the States are having. Hell, California alone could save over 100 billion dollars if they didn't have to take care of illegals.

4: Less illegals = less crime in the US committed by illegals.

5: Currently there are an estimated 7 million illegals working in the US. The MSN just reported that the jobless rate in the US is now at 8.6%. 8.6% out of 300 million people = 25 million people not working (roughly). How many of those 7 million illegals don't pay federal taxes? (ie work under the table) Now if those 7 million illegals were replaced with legal citizens three things would happen. 1: ALL 7 million people would be paying federal taxes, which means more could go towards the deficit or other needed things. 2: legal citizens would get payed more and as such even more can go towards federal taxes, the deficit or other needed things. 3: With more legal people being employed more money would stay within the states helping our economy instead of being sent to other countries. Also with a better economy comes even more people being employed than just the original 7 million.

6: Less illegals in our schools (because thier parents are no longer here neither will they) means that teachers will have less students. Which means legal students can get more attention. More attention means better learning. Better educated people means less poverty.

And I could name many many more positives with getting rid of illegals that far outstrip the increase in your grocery bill.

A few points here.

1: I never said that there wouldn't be an increase to how much things cost. But the amount of increase is negligable compared to the benefits that I already mentioned. As is the "real wage increase" that colleage educated people get.

-I'll just agree to disagree on this one.

2: I'm not a conservative. I'm independent. I believe that we do need tax increases. But not just for the wealthy. The increase should be across the board. At least until most of the deficit is paid off. I also believe in cuts to spending across the board.

-Sorry for jumping to conclusions.

3: Getting rid of at least 90% of illegals would help with a lot of the money problems that the States are having. Hell, California alone could save over 100 billion dollars if they didn't have to take care of illegals.

-In 2010 the government collected $2,000,000,000,000 (rounded down). That would mean that illegals in California alone only ate 0.5% of all tax income in the United States. Even if that statistic is legitimate (which I doubt it is) it still isn't that impressive considering that would be the largest percentage in the country.

4: Less illegals = less crime in the US committed by illegals.

-Obviously, due to the fact that being an illegal immigrant is a crime. Aside from that, how about targeting total crime rates instead of crime rates specifically among illegal immigrants (most of which could be reduced by altering drug policies).

Currently there are an estimated 7 million illegals working in the US. The MSN just reported that the jobless rate in the US is now at 8.6%. 8.6% out of 300 million people = 25 million people not working (roughly). How many of those 7 million illegals don't pay federal taxes? (ie work under the table) Now if those 7 million illegals were replaced with legal citizens three things would happen. 1: ALL 7 million people would be paying federal taxes, which means more could go towards the deficit or other needed things. 2: legal citizens would get payed more and as such even more can go towards federal taxes, the deficit or other needed things. 3: With more legal people being employed more money would stay within the states helping our economy instead of being sent to other countries. Also with a better economy comes even more people being employed than just the original 7 million.[/i]

-As already addressed, it doesn't really amount to much. Short of that, the only people competing with illegal immigrants in the job market are people who didn't graduate high school who are also statistically less likely to be completely honest in paying taxes. It's also been publically stated by economists that the things many people hold as facts about illegal immigrants are generally untrue. And the last statement makes no sense. Why would companies hire more people when they're paying higher wages? They wouldn't.

6: Less illegals in our schools (because thier parents are no longer here neither will they) means that teachers will have less students. Which means legal students can get more attention. More attention means better learning. Better educated people means less poverty.

-Really? I'm not even saying anything about this one.

And I could name many many more positives with getting rid of illegals that far outstrip the increase in your grocery bill.

Please, do.

For some reason it keeps popping up that my message is too short so I added this sentence.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom