• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why I Love EVE

Hoplite

Technomancer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I'm not sure how many gamers we have here, but I play one online game specifically; EVE Online. I love the game for a lot of reasons but this has to be up there on the top 5.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgvM7av1o1Q"]YouTube- HTFU - Permaband[/ame]

If you dont play or are unfamiliar with EVE, CCP is the company that produces EVE. The people you see in the video is almost the entire CCP staff including much of the management.

It's great to see a company that doesn't take itself so seriously and acts as though they actually enjoy what they do :)

I'm not sure how many gamers we have here, but I play one online game specifically; EVE Online. I love the game for a lot of reasons but this has to be up there on the top 5.

YouTube- HTFU - Permaband

If you dont play or are unfamiliar with EVE, CCP is the company that produces EVE. The people you see in the video is almost the entire CCP staff including much of the management.

It's great to see a company that doesn't take itself so seriously and acts as though they actually enjoy what they do :)

I've taken a break from Eve but I've had about 8 accounts since it's launch.

The best MMO in my opinion.

$20 a month is too steep for me, otherwise I'd have started playing years ago.
That was what put me off of EVE at first but after a while it becomes worth it. Especially now with all the improvements. You also get expansions for free.

There are also mechanics in place where if you earn enough money in-game, you can pay for play time and once you get well established it isnt difficult to do.

Also, it's only 15 bucks :)

I've tried to get serious about eve, I get all excited, I get in about 2 months of play... and then it just loses me. It's a good game, but...

And now with both of our computers fubar, it'll be a while till I can afford to rebuild two new systems... and the wife gets hers first! So...

I just beat Mass Effect 1. I had it on my PC, but the game would stall out on Noveria mission. Just wouldn't load. So I rented it on my Xbox, and beat the game. WOW, what an ending, what a climatic struggle. And for those that wonder, I maxed Paragon. I think I might try running as a renegade though....

Just so I can see both paths and how they roll out. First time through though, I let the Council die, then re ran the ending to save them. It was interesting.

It's great to see a company that doesn't take itself so seriously and acts as though they actually enjoy what they do
I'm not a fan of subscription games, but the video made me think of this, which I've played on/off for a good few years now. Ah, nostalgia...

Last edited:
Ever since this thread was started I've actually become more interested in playing; I think when I actually get a job I'm going to try it out. :)

Ever since this thread was started I've actually become more interested in playing; I think when I actually get a job I'm going to try it out. :)

Do try it, the learning curve is kind of steep but I know your smart enough to understand it.
I'd toss you some isk (game currency) but I'm taking a break for right now.

Ever since this thread was started I've actually become more interested in playing; I think when I actually get a job I'm going to try it out.
Do try it, the learning curve is kind of steep but I know your smart enough to understand it.
I'd toss you some isk (game currency) but I'm taking a break for right now.

I've already gone through 2 or 3 free trials, but never got into it enough because I didn't know anyone playing and didn't really have time (the free trials don't really give you enough time). I know I'd love it if I actually got an account, but unfortunately right now I don't have the money.

I've already gone through 2 or 3 free trials, but never got into it enough because I didn't know anyone playing and didn't really have time (the free trials don't really give you enough time). I know I'd love it if I actually got an account, but unfortunately right now I don't have the money.

I'm in the same position, saving for the rest of my down payment on a house.

Maybe next year though and if you do get on, I can help you out. :2wave:

I tried it out a few months ago but was bored stiff. It's just not my kind of game. In fact, City of Heroes is the only MMO I've ever really been able to get into, although I have high hopes for The Old Republic.

I tried it out a few months ago but was bored stiff.

Like I said, unless you know a friend who can get you into a corp and give you a bunch of Isk right away, the demo is pretty much useless aside from figuring out the basic mechanics.

Based on my extremely limited experience with the game I'd say 90% of it is interpersonal and 10% is strictly game-mechanic related.

Like I said, unless you know a friend who can get you into a corp and give you a bunch of Isk right away, the demo is pretty much useless aside from figuring out the basic mechanics.

Based on my extremely limited experience with the game I'd say 90% of it is interpersonal and 10% is strictly game-mechanic related.
Its more about 80-20 now. EVE is not a game you can really solo well unless you settle into doing something really mediocre and safe in which case it'll take you forever to get any real money.

Its more about 80-20 now. EVE is not a game you can really solo well unless you settle into doing something really mediocre and safe in which case it'll take you forever to get any real money.

Ok, so it's a crap game. I won't waste my time with it.

Thanks.

Thanks.

It depends on what you are after. No game on the market is as pure a sandbox game as EVE. It combines roleplay and wargame aspects, with players determining who controls the majority of space, making their own facilities, and waging huge several hundred vs several hundred wars. No game has as many options for progressing your character. If you are looking for an EQ/WoW type game which guides you through each step, quest after quest, then EVE will be a crap game, but if you want more freedom to do as you choose, EVE is the best game around.

It depends on what you are after. No game on the market is as pure a sandbox game as EVE. It combines roleplay and wargame aspects, with players determining who controls the majority of space, making their own facilities, and waging huge several hundred vs several hundred wars. No game has as many options for progressing your character. If you are looking for an EQ/WoW type game which guides you through each step, quest after quest, then EVE will be a crap game, but if you want more freedom to do as you choose, EVE is the best game around.

It's not that.

I have never had a good experience online gaming with a group or another person. It seems to be that a very insignificant minority of players have better than a room-temperature IQ.

So, if it can't be soloed, it's a crap game in my opinion.

It's not that.

I have never had a good experience online gaming with a group or another person. It seems to be that a very insignificant minority of players have better than a room-temperature IQ.

That very much depends on the game. Some games have real young audiences(WoW), some much older and more mature(EQ2). EVE falls somewhere in between, but it is definitely possible to find some older, more mature, stable and decent people there.

MrFungus420 said:
It's not that.

I think that's a pretty crappy view of multiplayer games. I'm really picky about who I play multiplayer games with when I do end up playing, and I always end up finding a group of mature, level-headed and intelligent people that are really fun to play with; anyone else that I dislike I just mute.

So I'm fully confident that it is possible to find a good corp to join in EVE that is filled with intelligent and respectful people.

I think that's a pretty crappy view of multiplayer games. I'm really picky about who I play multiplayer games with when I do end up playing, and I always end up finding a group of mature, level-headed and intelligent people that are really fun to play with; anyone else that I dislike I just mute.

So I'm fully confident that it is possible to find a good corp to join in EVE that is filled with intelligent and respectful people.

I play the MMO of my choice in a guild whose average age is about 40. It would be more difficult, but not impossible, to find a like group in EVE. I know a number of corps specifically consider maturity to be the number one thing they look for in EVE.

That was what put me off of EVE at first but after a while it becomes worth it. Especially now with all the improvements. You also get expansions for free.

There are also mechanics in place where if you earn enough money in-game, you can pay for play time and once you get well established it isnt difficult to do.

Also, it's only 15 bucks :)

$20 a month is too steep for me, otherwise I'd have started playing years ago.

If you pay for the whole year, you can get it as low as $11 a month. There's the initial sticker-shock, but it's worth it in the long run.

YouTube- HTFU - Permaband

*ROFL* @ the little red car like it's a damn Ferrari, the dancing Viking, the cute Chinese girls :D and "we cannot fall because gravity is just a theory".

You start doing lvl 4 missions and you'll make plenty :) .

Thanks.
*twitch*

It's not that.

You can solo it. It's just that it makes it worth your while to join a corp. And yes, you get idiots (I have some in my corp), but that's where you ignore them and go on your way :) .
That very much depends on the game. Some games have real young audiences(WoW), some much older and more mature(EQ2). EVE falls somewhere in between, but it is definitely possible to find some older, more mature, stable and decent people there.
Hmm... maybe earlier, but now it's shifting more to the older.

And if the corp is full of morons, just quit the corp and move on :) .

I play the MMO of my choice in a guild whose average age is about 40. It would be more difficult, but not impossible, to find a like group in EVE. I know a number of corps specifically consider maturity to be the number one thing they look for in EVE.

Just curious, what do you play?

Back
Top Bottom