• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why don't we have the American families as an example in genetics?

exvirgin

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
In genetics, we have Queen Victoria family and Tzar and Tzarina family to illustrate the inheritance patterns, but genetics does not provide any american family as an example. What is the reason behind it?

What do you mean? The US has all of Tennessee to show inbreeding patterns.

In genetics, we have Queen Victoria family and Tzar and Tzarina family to illustrate the inheritance patterns, but genetics does not provide any american family as an example. What is the reason behind it?

'cause America doesn't have royalty or famous inbreds.

We have the Kennedys, the Rockefellers, he Carnagies and many other famous families. Seriously, your questions are beyond bizarre... not in an interesting way either.

Look at Prince Charles, a classic example of royalty inbreeding....eventually they get too ugly to be given the opportunity to breed....:2razz:

As for my family, I have NO cousins....not sure if that is a good thing or not...

Look at Prince Charles, a classic example of royalty inbreeding....eventually they get too ugly to be given the opportunity to breed....:2razz:

As for my family, I have NO cousins....not sure if that is a good thing or not...

Means you never have to worry about the person you are sleeping with is related to you. That is unless of course you have brother and sisters, oh and your parents too I guess...

I think it's more of the fact that your genetics professor is showing you the most famous people who had certain genetic traits. You may as well ask why your chemistry professor doesn't teach you about English history.

Interesting. I'm not sure where or when your textbook was written, or where you live - but there are other factors at play, no doubt.

What is included in a textbook as a case-example has more to do with social-beliefs, culture, politics and other things that are considered by the book authors, teachers and others - instead of "who is the *best* example for this case?"

An example is the debate in the US over how to write in Obama's name (in history text books, etc) - they argue on whether to initialize his middle name or if they should include the entire middle name.
Instead of following general rules that are applied to essays, thesis papers and other things that students are suppose to write they had several meetings with people just giving their opinions on the issue.

(If I recall you are not in the US)

In the US - from my years of schooling - we don't use American-citizens as case-studies at all. We use leaders from Europe in the past (Mary, the Queen of Scots. The Tudor family Dynasty.) and even further back in history in other countries like Egypt (Pharaoh Ahkenaten and his wife Nefertiti) as example of such things.

I think - in this 'avoid USA examples' is that USA history is *very* recent - and it's likely that modern-day decedents would be offended if their Great Grandparent became the focus for scientific studies in a classroom.

It is very common and accepted to use very prominent and important figures (such as Queens, Kings) because their lineage is very well documented, everyone is notable and easy to track through the generations, and they're public figures so discussing them isn't likely to be taboo.

Good luck in your class!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom