• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why do Athiests and other non-god believing people have a problem with religion/god?

Parmenion said:
lee - apparently they had what one might refer to as willpower. If you didn't have that without something else then you are a very weak creature indeed.

Yes, and now maybe you can understand why there is simply no other explanation for the transformation I have experienced.

Parmenion said:
I would imagine that many women would disagree with you ...

About what?

Parmenion said:
And the fact remains that in abortion, men should not have a say in the matter. We are not the ones who ultimately have to live with the consequences.

How so?

Parmenion said:
Only a person who condones rape would suggest what you suggested.

Ah, so you are a spinner, eh?!

Just what is it that you seem to believe I have suggested?!

DonRicardo said:
Here [concerning abortion after rape] you are evading the question. Let's suppose there is a "life of misery".

No, I was not evading the question, I was questioning its presumption.

If anyone you know ever gets pregnant as a result of rape and she is worried about "a life of misery" after giving birth to an innocent child, please put her in touch with me ... but please do not bother asking me to here and now speculate as to precisely what I might say or suggest or whatever.

In my insane past, I have raped, but without impregnating ...

... and once long before and once long after that time, I was directly involved in the obtaining of abortions.

When did pregnancy become a medical condition in need of treatment, and why had the doctor not bothered to check a for-this-reason box in either of the two cases I have just mentioned? And for the record: I do not know the answers to those questions.

DonRicardo said:
Now you use again gossip, just like the Bible, as evidence ...

I have no idea what you are even talking about, but I will certainly attempt to respond after you might explain.

DonRicardo said:
Did you also know that most "supernatural" visions and events are nothing but psychological imaginations?

What proof of that might you have, and what would that have to do with anything I have shared?

DonRicardo said:
[The "Hebrew people" and their "Sinai experience"] is no proof ...

Then what is your explanation for their existance and experience?

DonRicardo said:
Do you agree with me when I say that abortion on an embryo is moral?

While remaining open concerning abortion in the face of some truly, life-critical indication, I maintain that any other abortion is murder.

DonRicardo said:
Any supernatural being that created us - even if it is indirectly - is responsible for every motion that occurs, hence evil as well. If he is allmighty, why does he not maintain his creations?

Which one(s) does He not?

Re: Why do Athiests and other non-god believing people have a problem with religion/g

leejosepho said:
Yes, and now maybe you can understand why there is simply no other explanation for the transformation I have experienced.

maybe a "fairy" came and sprinkled "magical fairy dust" on you. there is simply no other explanation.

i know thats a ridiculous statement, the reason i have put it there is so maybe you realise that your statement is equally ridiculous.

with the imagination that you have the only "explanation" you can fabricate is "god". why not fairies or hobbits?

leejosepho said:
I have no idea what you are even talking about, but I will certainly attempt to respond after you might explain.

The Bible and other historic documents are no proof of actual facts. It is well known that even Julius Caesar lied and exagerated in his writings. The only evidence we can have are realtime observations.

As an example we do know Julius Caesar existed because of the statues that were made of him. We also know what territories he conquered because of coins, buildings and others that seem to ressemble the Roman style.

It is also a known fact that archaic documents such as Roman and others don't contradict each other. All facts within historic documents of Romans, Greek, Perzians, ... seem to share the same number of events. There is no contradiction, while Bible, Koran and others do contradict each other in events.

THere is no single proof of Jesus's existence even. All documents (Koran, Bible) can simply be copied and based upon each other.

I think all of the Bible's content is nothing but a fable. I highly doubt wehter Jesus really has existed (disconcerning his supernaturalities):
- His grave was never found
- No coins were made with his name. Only in later periods (800 AD I think), Byzanthines made coins with his face on it. By then there was no proof he ever had existed, because all that remained was the Bible. At the time he existed, no coins were made.
- Roman literature did not mention him. Here historic documents contradict each other. Roman literature contains, in my opinion, no false facts.
- If he was so great, why did no one else write about him?

I also analysed the first 5 pages of genesis and as you probably might now, it is pure nonsense. The question to ask here is "Is the Bible not a pure fable, a book with fables to learn morality?".

The fact is that the Bible is no evidence and yet again you neglected in your "experience" the most valuable element for credibility: evidence. If you can't show us an appearance of your God, then you have no evidence at all.

leejosepho said:
What proof of that might you have, and what would that have to do with anything I have shared?

How can confirm one's existence without having perception (sight, hearing, ...) of it? Our entire lives are based upon perception. Claiming that there is something behind, is a statement without proof and it will never be proven as well as it will never be disproven.

I too had such an experience once and I believe that it occurs at emotional instable moments. That's psychology.

Here the definition of vision: (merriam-webster.com)
a : something seen in a dream, trance, or ecstasy; especially : a supernatural appearance that conveys a revelation b : an object of imagination c : a manifestation to the senses of something immaterial

How can I see something that is not real? Then it must be imagination. What else than a mental state of mind would cause me to do so?

There is no single suggestion to support supernatural or religious visions. In fact there are more suggestions not to believe, which I have mentioned here.

leejosepho said:
Then what is your explanation for their existance and experience?

They copied documents and ideas. I don't think all writings existed at the same time. I even read once that some of the gospel writers their works were based upon those of others.

leejosepho said:
While remaining open concerning abortion in the face of some truly, life-critical indication, I maintain that any other abortion is murder.

Well, I cannot agree here. If an undeveloped child is "not alive" yet, has no consciousness, sentience, yet, it won't even know its dying. The condition is that it must happen far before the fetus gets sentience (that is the ability to perceive pain).

Obviously you don't seem to understand what I mean with consciousness, else you just keep yourself to your strict ideas, which are, in my opinion, not fully moral. Let's have another example:

I know a man - no one else does - and his life is fully miserable. I decide to enlighten his pain - death is a form of unconsciousness. At night I slightly intrude his house and while he sleeps I pick a gun and point it to his head. Is it moral to kill this person, considering that while he sleeps he has no consciousness?

Why are christians against killing of life? If you only mention life as organic matter, then killing trees and pulling out my hair is killing life as well. (Hair contains human DNA). I simply cannot agree with that.

leejosepho said:
Which one(s) does He not?

Well, I think he does not exist.

But if he does, consider this:

Situation 1: He controls/maintains every action in nature

This is highly unlikely, because every action seems to be based upon a reaction. It's a fixed system with laws. However, if he does control every motion, then he must be responsible for every piece of harm done to mankind. There is obviously an imbalancement of life quality. He cannot be moral, can he?

Situation 2: He created and abandons

He is highly irresponsible not to maintain his creation. If he was able to create out of nothing, what must be his power? He is lame and unforgivable not to see the harm done in the world. It is his fault that evil exists, because if every action causes a reaction and he is allmighty, why could he not foresee? Because he wants it.

leejosepho said:
Whoa! Why is that? To me, that is quite illogical and void of intellectual honesty. If it cannot be proven that something does *not* exist, then how could it be proven (or how could someone sanely/rightly/fairly demand it be proven) something does?

Because it is virtually impossible to prove that something doens't exist.

Can you prove that unicorns don't exist, can anybody prove that? Nope, we just haven't found them yet because they hide very well.

The burden of proof is always on those making the claim. The claim being made in this instance is the god exists. I'm not making any claim. Until you can prove to me that god exists, there is nothing to make a claim about.

KevinWan said:
According the the vast majority of Western civilized beings... Jesus sets our standards for our morality and ethics, whether you're Christian or not. I doubt you accept stealing, murder or adultery... Why not?? Maybe because Jesus taught these things through the Ten Commanments, which inturn became the cornerstone of Western civilization.

Or, more likely, those are elements that have been common to virtually every human culture and society, so christianity adopted those elements. Those same basic standards exist in the Eastern as well as Westen societies. Similarity does not imply causation.

KevinWan said:
Morality is indeed a legitimate argument in a debate. We have an obligation to better our society through instating a moral way of life. Abortion is wrong because it is barbaric and evil... its that simple. Make it illegal.

Not quite, you think that it is barbaric and evil. That is simply your opinion. In my opinion, blindly following a religion is simplistic and wrong. That doesn't mean that I necessarily think that religion should be illegal.

You are confusing your opinion for fact.

leejosepho said:
In my insane past, I have raped, but without impregnating ...

Apparently I was correct in my assumption. Someone should track your IP, send it to the police and have a nutjob like you locked up.

Parmenion said:
Apparently I was correct in my assumption. Someone should track your IP, send it to the police and have a nutjob like you locked up.

He has already paid for his crime and renounced his wrong doing from my understanding. From the sounds of things, he is trying to repay society today. His burden is great, something I assume he carries with him always.

Re: Why do Athiests and other non-god believing people have a problem with religion/g

TheTruth said:
maybe a "fairy" came and sprinkled "magical fairy dust" on you. there is simply no other explanation.

i know thats a ridiculous statement, the reason i have put it there is so maybe you realise that your statement is equally ridiculous.

It is perfectly okay with me if you want to believe that, but that is just not true. To wit:

YHWH delivered the Hebrews from bondage, provided for them and showed them His way of right fellowship and worship ... and He has since done the very same for me and for many others like me.

TheTruth said:
with the imagination that you have ...

No imagination has been involved here. I was dying and I knew it, and now I am not, and neither I nor any other human being made that happen.

TheTruth said:
the only "explanation" you can fabricate is ...

No, I have fabricated nothing.

TheTruth said:
why not fairies or hobbits?

For one reason: Because you have already acknowledged such thought as being ridiculous.

I know you do not know the details of my life and/or my "recovery", and neither do I assume either would interest you. However, please do nevertheless feel welcomed to present your own thoughts about how I might have permanently recovered from chronic alcoholism and I will try to help you see how impossible or "ridiculous" they are.

Last edited:
DonRicardo said:
The Bible and other historic documents are no proof of actual facts ...

Please pardon me if I gave a wrong impression, for that is not what I contend. Rather, I am saying "the Hebrew people" and their "Sinai experience" are proof -- quite sufficient for me, at least, and along with my own personal experience -- of the "God" mentioned therein.

DonRicardo said:
... you neglected in your "experience" the most valuable element for credibility: evidence. If you can't show us an appearance of your God, then you have no evidence at all.

Warmly and respectfully: So *you* say, but who are you to say my experience proves nothing?!

DonRicardo said:
I too had such an experience ...

Such an experience as what? The only one is have mentioned is my permanent recovery from chronic alcoholism.

DonRicardo said:
How can I see something that is not real?

I am not talking about anything that is not real.

DonRicardo said:
I know a man - no one else does - and his life is fully miserable. I decide to enlighten his pain - death is a form of unconsciousness. At night I slightly intrude his house and while he sleeps I pick a gun and point it to his head. Is it moral to kill this person ...

Why do you call murder mere "killing"?

DonRicardo said:
Why are christians against killing of life?

Have you asked any of them?

DonRicardo said:
Situation 1: He controls/maintains every action in nature ...
Situation 2: He created and abandons ...

Neither is comprehensively true about The One who created us.

MrFungus420 said:
The burden of proof is always on those making the claim ...

Yes, in a court of law, but nobody is on trial here. Rather, I am simply "reporting" what I know to be true.

MrFungus420 said:
Until you can prove to me that god exists, there is nothing to make a claim about.

Not so. I report and offer evidence, then you investigate some more if you like ... and *you* ultimately decide what you either will, or will not believe.

Parmenion said:

No, there is no need for all of that. Do a search for "leejosepho" and you are likely to find my full name and address somewhere ...

... or, just call the Elkhart City or County police to confirm that they are not concerned about any future trouble from me.

And as to the rape I had mentioned: That was at the beginning of a long-ago shackup when someone hesitated at the last moment. Nothing justifiable there even though we were together for a few months after that, but please do not confuse that wrong-doing with some kind of dark-alley crime.

leejosepho said:
Yes, in a court of law, but nobody is on trial here.
Rather, I am simply "reporting" what I know to be true.

The burden of proof is a concept used in science too.

Not so. I report and offer evidence, then you investigate some more if you like ... and *you* ultimately decide what you either will, or will not believe.

From what you have written your "evidence" is:

A: something happened to you;
B: You interpret this as personal evidence of god (however you attempt to
confuse things by identifying that concept);

That's it. Absolutely nothing that can be verified or tested by anyone other
than you. You are claiming that your personal interpretation of a personal
experience is evidence. It is not.

You are entitled to your beliefs, but please do not present them as evidence.
However important to you, they are beliefs; nothing more.

Viper said:
He has already paid for his crime and renounced his wrong doing from my understanding. From the sounds of things, he is trying to repay society today. His burden is great, something I assume he carries with him always.

Thank you for your kind words.

The greatest "burden I carry", so to speak, is that of the long-ago abandonment of my two daughters ...

Fathers: Attend to your children! Please.

But today, I am one of the very few that my older daughter will allow to watch over my first grandson for a couple of hours while she attends a bi-weekly meeting at her part-time job, and I was the very first (after a doctor and nurse) to ever hold my second (and larger!) when my younger daughter had to have a C-section.

Do you suppose any mere man would have ever so blessed me?!

Thinker said:
From what you have written your "evidence" is:

A: something happened to you;
B: You interpret this as personal evidence of god (however you attempt to
confuse things by identifying that concept);

That's it. Absolutely nothing that can be verified or tested by anyone other than you ...

Rubbish, my fellow thinker! that is pure rubbish! To wit:

“We, of [the original] Alcoholics Anonymous, know thousands of men and women who were once just as hopeless as Bill ...” (“Alcoholics Anonymous”, page 17);

“On one proposition ... these men and women are strikingly agreed. Every one of them has gained access to, and believes in, a Power greater than himself. This Power has in each case accomplished the miraculous, the humanly impossible. As a celebrated American statesman put it, ‘Let's look at the record.’
“Here are thousands of men and women, worldly indeed. They flatly declare that since they have come to believe in a Power greater than themselves, to take a certain attitude toward that Power, and to do certain simple things, there has been a revolutionary change in their way of living and thinking. In the face of collapse and despair, in the face of the total failure of their human resources, they found that a new power, peace, happiness, and sense of direction flowed into them. This happened soon after they whole-heartedly met a few simple requirements ...” (page 50).

"When a few men in this city have found themselves, and have discovered the joy of helping others to face life again, there will be no stopping until everyone in that town has had his opportunity to recover - if he can and will" (pages 163-4).

Do you know anyone who has tried and has yet to permanently recover from chronic alcoholism?

If so, would his or her own permanent recovery prove anything to you?

If not, please pass along my personal guarantee and put us in touch anyway ...

leejosepho@hotmail.com

leejosepho said:
Please pardon me if I gave a wrong impression, for that is not what I contend. Rather, I am saying "the Hebrew people" and their "Sinai experience" are proof -- quite sufficient for me, at least, and along with my own personal experience -- of the "God" mentioned therein.

I understood fully what you mentioned, but I remain to hold this point: the only evidence is based upon true observations.

All Sinai and Hebrew from Christ's period are dead and the only thing that remains are scripts. There are no observations such as Jesus's grave, coins, other scripts (next to Bible and Koran), ... While ALL other history facts are based upon archeology (monuments, etc).

After all the existance of Jesus is not being taught in history class, which means that there is a lack of evidence to support his existence.

leejosepho said:
Warmly and respectfully: So *you* say, but who are you to say my experience proves nothing?!

Indeed, 2 reasons for not believing you:
1. you may be lying (most likely not)
2. you had an imagination

Seeing is believing, after all why would I?

All "supernatural" facts such as ghosts, exorcism and the like are based upon no evidence. Most likely they existed because of simple media attention.

Supernaturality would be chaos, because nature has scientific and strict unforcable laws. How can an event occur in "supernature", if there are no laws? There is no cause/result, which means an action would be able to appear out of nothing. This twarths human logic.

leejosepho said:
Such an experience as what? The only one is have mentioned is my permanent recovery from chronic alcoholism.

I too once had a very peculiar experience. Such as some kind of invisible presence which embraced me. Very strange. However, I keep holding the point that such events only occur at emotional instable moments.

leejosepho said:
I am not talking about anything that is not real.

Let's reconsider one of the definitions for vision: "an object of imagination ". Do you agree that imagination is no proof of existence? I can imagina a picture of a painting that does not exist.

leejosepho said:
Why do you call murder mere "killing"?

I don't understand why you ask me this. It's not about language that we're talking, but if you insist, here is the definition of murder:
- (noun) unlawful premeditated killing of a human being by a human being

I'm not talking about murder here, because if abortion is allowed by law, it is no murder anymore (see definition). Though it remains killing.

The question is what do you see as "alive"?

http://lookwayup.com/free/
First a definition:
1. [a] possessing life.
2. [a] (often followed by `with') full of life and spirit.
3. [a] capable of erupting.
4. [a] having life or vigor or spirit.
5. [a] (usually followed by `to') showing acute awareness; mentally perceptive.
6. [a] in operation.
7. [a] (followed by `to' or `of') aware of.

Perceptive:
let's explain "perception": becoming aware of something via the senses
Consciousness:
1. [n]an alert cognitive state in which you are aware of yourself and your situation
2. [n]having knowledge of

Definition 6 shows that "alive" can be understood on multiple ways. In operation means that a sole heart beat and functioning of organs is enough. Plants can be considered alive. Let's find out what you mean by "alive".

Is it any organic structure that absorbs energy that remains itself and allows reproduction? Or do you consider "alive" as having "consciousness", notion of its own existence?

You once mentioned that you had sex with another women without impregnating her. So you are responible for having wasted life then? Unless you view "alive" as having "consciousness".

Ask yourself the following questions:

Am I allowed to kill a tree, without causing environmental harm and eliminating biotopes for animals?

May I abort a child if I am fully certain that it has no consciousness yet? Hence, it has never been "alive"!*

* alive as having consciousness (trees are not "alive")

leejosepho said:
Have you asked any of them?

I did not say "all christians", thus it is not a generalisation, but I did know some people who hold that view. I merely assume also that most are, because the Bible mentions that killing life is not allowed.

leejosepho said:
Neither is comprehensively true about The One who created us.

How do you know? That is again a statement without evidence: your imagination. Introduce another possible suggestion. I gave two situations. If you claim that neither is true, then you must at least give me another possible situation in which he bears no guilt for evil in the world.

Last edited:
DonRicardo said:
I understood fully what you mentioned, but I remain to hold this point: the only evidence is based upon true observations.

All Sinai and Hebrew from Christ's period are dead ...

Why do you mention "Christ" or "Christ's period"? I am talking about the Hebrews that did and do yet to this very day experience and confess Sinai either/both before and/or without "Christ". If you want me to believe there is no "God", then you are going to have to prove that neither the Hebrews nor their overall centuries-unchanged experience are real ... and of course, that I have not permanently recovered from chronic alcoholism.

DonRicardo said:
Indeed, 2 reasons for not believing you:
1. you may be lying (most likely not)
2. you had an imagination

Seeing is believing, after all why would I?

What might I do to help you "see" my permanent recovery from chronic alcoholism?

DonRicardo said:
How can an event occur in "supernature", if there are no laws?

Who says there are no supernatural laws?

DonRicardo said:
I too once had a very peculiar experience ...

Again: I have mentioned no such thing.

DonRicardo said:
Do you agree that imagination is no proof of existence?

I have no need or desire to discuss imagination while talking about reality.

DonRicardo said:
I'm not talking about murder ... because if abortion is allowed by law ...

Man's law does not supercede YHWH's.

DonRicardo said:
The question is what do you see as "alive"?

Anything that is not dead, I suppose.

DonRicardo said:
You once mentioned that you had sex with another women without impregnating her. So you are responible for having wasted life then?

Uh ... no, shootin' blanks here.

DonRicardo said:
Am I allowed to kill a tree ...?

Yes.

DonRicardo said:
May I abort a child if I am fully certain that it has no consciousness yet?

Are you sure you want to call that a child? The so-called "pro-choice" folks are not likely to like that. But either way, no*, and no matter what you might believe about that child's -- we agree there, by the way -- "consciousness" or whatever.
(*Subject to previous statement about possible exceptions.)

DonRicardo said:
... you must at least give me another possible situation in which he bears no guilt for evil in the world.

Who? The One you say does not exist?!

Yes, you surely must have quite an imagination ... ;)

Last edited:
leejosepho said:
Why do you mention "Christ" or "Christ's period"? I am talking about the Hebrews that did and do yet to this very day experience and confess Sinai either/both before and/or without "Christ". If you want me to believe there is no "God", then you are going to have to prove that neither the Hebrews nor their overall centuries-unchanged experience are real ... and of course, that I have not permanently recovered from chronic alcoholism.

That is a wrong way of viewing evidence. We, humans, only accept evidence by highly supported suggestions or observations. The reasons why we don't accept evidence of a personal experience or gossip (documents as BIble) are next:

1. If a man believes everything that is told blindly, enumerous amounts of stories can be created. There could be infinite number of theories.

Example:
a. A pink unicorn blows soap bells and created the universe
b. Yahweh is the ultimate ruler of nature
c. Allah ...
d. A giant elephant outside space is letting "winds" to accelerate the expansion rate of the universe

Do you think it's quite logical to accept facts without true evidence? Would you believe me if I said that a pink unicorn is sitting at my shoulder right now?

2. Only observations and suggestions count as evidence. In court a suspect is not being accused of murder when there are only a number of witnesses. There has to be an alibi and other clear traces. Religion fails here, because the documents are the "witnesses" and there are no other clear traces that point to the validity of its content.

It is wrong to accept anything without being sceptical. I hope you understand why I can't believe you. Scepticism is at the base of human nature. Never trust anyone or any knowledge blindly.

If I tell you to give you bank account number and your code, would you do it? Would you believe if I only "claimed" that I would not misuse it? Well, that's why I need an observation first in order to believe. Blindly accepting of knowledge is wrong. Why do humans need contracts for finance? They don't trust each other on claims. What they need is evidence, observations and contracts fulfill that purpose. That's the way mankind works.

3. I'm sorry but I see religion a bit as laming these days. They say "God" is beyond perception, knowing that it will never be able to be disproven, as well as it will never be proven. If you ask to disprove such a fact, I cannot, I can only dis-suggest. Isn't it much more logical to follow suggestions, instead of proof? Man only regards observations as proof. Yet still, they are no true evidence due to the fact of phemonology, which states that every perception can be relative - senses can be cheated.

leejosepho said:
Who says there are no supernatural laws?

I do, by logical suggestions. If you reconsider the above, you can never prove your right. I can never proof you're wrong, but why should I? First there has to be proof for a certain fact in order to make it accepted. Your ideas suggests that I can accuse whoever I want of murder, simply because they can't disprove it. Unfortunately that's not the way evidence works.

leejosepho said:
Again: I have mentioned no such thing.

I once had an experience of a so called "supernatural" experience. Because of lack of proof, I deny it and simply bind it to emotional instabilities.

leejosepho said:
Man's law does not supercede YHWH's.

You have no proof of his existance, otherwise I'd be convinced of his existance.

leejosepho said:
Anything that is not dead, I suppose.

Too vague. Again what is "dead"? Something without consciousness (embryo) or something without organs only (flora also)?

leejosepho said:
Are you sure you want to call that a child? The so-called "pro-choice" folks are not likely to like that. But either way, no*, and no matter what you might believe about that child's -- we agree there, by the way -- "consciousness" or whatever.
(*Subject to previous statement about possible exceptions.)

I don't understand your way of thinking. You allow me to cut a tree, but not to kill an embryo, which has no consciousness at all. That's quite contradicting, isn't it?

Scientists do know where the consciousness of the fetus stage starts approximately. This simply means that an embryo, the previous stage of fetus, has no consciousness. Killing it is comparable to cutting a tree.

However, I do not agree to abort a child that is "alive" yet. There has to be certainty and serious investigation.

leejosepho said:
Who? The One you say does not exist?!

I exclude his existence. Now if he exists, if I'm wrong, I'd hate him. I cannot understand why religion - even without considering all logical assumptions that would make one deny his existance - still has a use. God, if he exists, must be immoral.

Note that "if" expresses an unlikelyness or "impossibility". Hence, I did not use the immorality once without "if" to explain that I clearly exclude his existance.

leejosepho said:
Rubbish, my fellow thinker! that is pure rubbish!...

I have no doubt that there are many people who have been helped to overcome
adictions by showing them how to develop a personal mental strength. No
doubt you are aware that there are many successful non-religious groups doing
this. If believing a god cures you is a help, go ahead.

Saying that that is evidence of a god is the rubbish. It's just like claiming
that being able to teach someone to lower their heart rate is evidence of god.
It's nothing of the sort.

DonRicardo said:
Do you think it's quite logical to accept facts without true evidence?

That question is illogical, for without "true evidence", any alleged "facts" might yet seem unacceptable/unbelievable. However, I believe you mean to be asking if I think it is logical to accept something as fact without first having at least some kind of evidence to consider, and of course, I would say not. And in my own case, "discovery" began with my acting on some folks' suggestion that I at least be willing to believe they believe.

DonRicardo said:
Would you believe me if I said that a pink unicorn is sitting at my shoulder right now?

You got any pictures?!

DonRicardo said:
Only observations and suggestions count as evidence ...
Religion fails here, because the documents are the "witnesses" and there are no other clear traces that point to the validity of its content.

Why do you mention religion? I am saying a people and their experience are the evidence proving what had been *later* documented.

DonRicardo said:
It is wrong to accept anything without being sceptical ...

Foolish maybe, but not "wrong" ...

DonRicardo said:
Well, that's why I need an observation first in order to believe.

Certainly.

DonRicardo said:
Isn't it ... logical to follow suggestions [in the absence of] proof?

If my insertion there reflects what you mean to be saying, yes, that is how I began heading toward ultimate "proof" acceptable to me.

DonRicardo said:
Man only regards observations as proof. Yet still, they are no true evidence due to the fact of phemonology, which states that every perception can be relative - senses can be cheated.

I definitely understand what you are saying there, and yes, those are some inescapable factors to be considered. Personally, I spend *much* time considering those very kinds of things.

DonRicardo said:
You have no proof of [YHWH's] existance, otherwise I'd be convinced of his existance.

No, not so, for I am not trying to convince you. Nevertheless, and including some actual video footage – http://www.michaelrood.com/sinai_connection.htm – would you like to see some "pictures"? The ones from Sinai are the most impressive ...

DonRicardo said:
I don't understand your way of thinking. You allow me to cut a tree, but not to kill an embryo ...

The embryo is human and the tree is not, and for me, the matter of “consciousness” is not a factor.

Last edited:

Thinker said:
I have no doubt that there are many people who have been helped to overcome adictions by showing them how to develop a personal mental strength. No doubt you are aware that there are many successful non-religious groups doing this ...

Yes, I am aware, but that kind of thing is nothing like my own recovery.

Thinker said:
If believing a god cures you is a help, go ahead.

I do *not* believe "a god cures you is a help". Rather, I simply know He can heal.

Thinker said:
Saying that that is evidence of a god is the rubbish ...

As is always a dilemma with you: Where is you evidence?

leejosepho said:
Yes, I am aware, but that kind of thing is nothing like my own recovery.
What an amazing ego-centric statement. You have shown your true colours.

I do *not* believe "a god cures you is a help". Rather, I simply know
He can heal.
You believe a god healed you. The only reasons you say you "know" are to
confuse the issue and hide the fact that the only source of your "knowledge"
is your belief.

As is always a dilemma with you: Where is you evidence?
You obviously think if you keep changing the subject we'll forget what is
actually being discussed. You are the one claiming evidence that you cannot
display. Just so you cannot claim you aren't, you said:

Not so. I report and offer evidence

You claim you offer evidence but the truth is that your have failed to provide
anything but a personal belief. You may consider that to be "evidence", but
nobody else does.

Parmenion said:
How can one use carbon dating to verify the origins of stories? Who is this aethiest fanatic you speak of?

Thank you for agreeing with me. He was executed for a crime. Whether or not he committed it or had a right to commit it is beside the point. In the eyes of his peers he was guilty and as such was put to death for it. Enough said.
the only crime was the murder of Jesus. he was killed but declared innoicent by Pilate, the Roman governor
Who invented what and their religious beliefs are beside the point. It proves that humans are learning and continue to learn as I stated. You said "several examples of the human race demonstrating its inability to educate itself include:" - The human race has educated itself. You gave examples, now you agree with with. My work here is done :)

not done, these educators were all christians. the secular scientists never believed until they were taken for a ride

In conclusion you believe that every person not believing what you believe is going to hell. Thats a lot of people. Are you Baptist perhaps? Becuase in fairness your god sounds like a right bollocks to condemn so many people for not worshipping him. Curiously, does that mean that everyone who died before your religion graced this earth also went to Hell? That would infer that Heaven was empty for a very long oul time :lol:
yes you will go to hell if you deny the gift of salvation. no i do not believe that the only way there has ever been to heaven is the way in the New Testament, i believe in the Old and New Testament ways as ways to get into heaven. just the old testament is old and was made ineffective when Jesus died on the cross, providing an easier path to heaven. the old testament bridge is down, there is a new bridge to heaven, and it is by the way of the old rugged cross. if you take the Bible at face value instead of twisting the words, you can get a whole lot more out of it. and i personally will never twist the Bible's words. "as for me and my house, we WILL serve the Lord"

Thinker said:
What an amazing ego-centric statement ...

I am honestly having a difficult time figuring out whether you are ignorant, stupid or just plain ill-willed, alleged thinker. My recovery was nothing like any non-religious development of personal mental strength you had mentioned, and "Step One" of the process is that the ego must be smashed!

Thinker said:
You believe a god healed you. The only reasons you say you "know" are to confuse the issue and hide the fact that the only source of your "knowledge" is your belief.

Once again, I am honestly having a difficult time figuring out whether you are ignorant, stupid or just plain ill-willed, alleged thinker. The *single* reason I say I know is because I do!

Thinker said:
You obviously think if you keep changing the subject we'll forget what is actually being discussed ...

And now even yet again, alleged thinker, I am honestly having a difficult time figuring out whether you are ignorant, stupid or just plain ill-willed. The subject at hand at the moment is a simple request for any evidence you might have behind your allegation of "rubbish" -- I showed *my* evidence of *your* rubbish a little way back -- and now you seem to want to talk about me instead!

Not interested.

Back
Top Bottom