• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why did you pick atheism?

I was raised staunch atheist

Just for clarity here, and it's an honest question.

What does that mean exactly?

Was there a very proactive effort to incorporate a non-belief?
Or was it more that you just weren't raised in a religious environment?

Just for clarity here, and it's an honest question.

What does that mean exactly?

Was there a very proactive effort to incorporate a non-belief?
Or was it more that you just weren't raised in a religious environment?
It was proactive. I remember not too long ago, my dad got red faced angry when he saw a ten commandments sign in someone's yard. I calmed him down by reminding him it was on that person's private property.

My parents were both abused by church members growing up and those memories contributed to how they wished to raise us. I don't know the details, but they alluded to it plenty of times while I was growing up. I was pretty militant in a rejection of religion back in my teens as well. Some time in my late teens I started reading every philosophy book I could get my hands on, but philosophy was not my path either.

From the same book that never once condemned slavery, but does in fact tell you its okay beat your slaves as long as they don’t die directly from the beating.
Looks like Democrat KKK members gleefully followed that advice for decades.

Takes effort to fail that hard. You should win a prize.
You don't know what you're talking about, as usual. Frankly I doubt you actually read the Bible, you're just winging it for zingers.

You claimed that "If there are things other than natural, there should be verifiable evidence of such things". To paraphrase you, "if supernatural things exist, we should be able to verify (supposedly naturally) those things".

That's like saying, if a parallel universe exists, we should be able to verify it with this one.

No, we don't know that to be true.

Anything that is claimed without evidence is just made up. So we do know that to be true. If you make up something that can never be verified, no matter what it is, it is considered made up. That includes the made up idea of a parallel universe. So you make make up anything you want, but without being able to verify it you have no basis at all to claim it is possible.

The verification comes from verifiable evidence. Without which, it just a baseless claim.

My usual response is to smack someone and say there's your proof, I chose to smack you for no reason. 😄

If you as smacking someone to prove your point, that is the reason. :p

You couldn't be more wrong. Science has indeed proven that something is eternal. But don't don't take my word for it. Read "A Universe from Nothing" by Lawrence Krauss.
Don't be swayed by the fact that Krauss was fired from his job for sexual misconduct. He is a brilliant cosmolgist and it may please you to know that he is one of science's most vocal atheists. If you are a devout atheist I'm sure you have heard of him and are familiar with the book.

You are wrong. Fallacy of argument from authority. My source of atheism is me and reality.

Looks like Democrat KKK members gleefully followed that advice for decades.

You don't know what you're talking about, as usual. Frankly I doubt you actually read the Bible, you're just winging it for zingers.

I know when I see people flinging hyper-partisan bullshit in a lame attempt to deflect from the actual topic.

See posts above as prime examples.

Nobody is unhappy. I don’t know where you get this stupid ****. It’s called “gaslighting”. Trying to make us believe that we should be unhappy, when we’re clearly not. You haven’t a clue as to what you are taking about in trying to paint atheists as “unhappy”. It’s just an out-and-out hateful LIE.
I never said atheists were unhappy. I just haven't figured out how you could be, knowing you are going to eternally not exist in a few more blinks of an eye. How could that knowledge (belief) make you enlightened and happy?
To take it a step further, why are you not constantly miserable? It won't be just you that will someday be completely and eternally meaningless. It will be every family member and friend you have ever had, including your children and grandchildren. There is no way I could live like that. I truly am amazed that otherwise intelligent people can pull that off.

I never said atheists were unhappy. I just haven't figured out how you could be, knowing you are going to eternally not exist in a few more blinks of an eye. How could that knowledge (belief) make you enlightened and happy?
To take it a step further, why are you not constantly miserable? It won't be just you that will someday be completely and eternally meaningless. It will be every family member and friend you have ever had. There is no way I could live like that. I truly am amazed that otherwise intelligent people can pull that off.

Real life is the source of happiness and misery. A belief in an imaginary after life doesn't change a thing about that. Intelligent people know haw to accept reality and do no need a fantasy to create false hope.

You are wrong. Fallacy of argument from authority. My source of atheism is me and reality.
You are a science denier. You should look up Krauss's impressive credentials and read his book. Don't be afraid of science.,

Real life is the source of happiness and misery.
This isn't about real life, as much as it is about real death.
I truly feel sorrow and compassion for you.

Believing something because it will make you happy is a piss poor reason to believe something.

I am happier believing the truth.

If I could believe I was a billionaire that might be comforting.........but it wouldn't be true.
Are you really happy knowing the dark future for you, your family and friends? I could never look my grandkids in the eye and feel happy and enlightened that they will be as meaningless as dirt someday and that the meaningless will last for eternity.
But, you are correct. That is a poor reason to believe that there is something out there bigger and better than humans. Most theists back their belief up with many other things.
And, how do you know that you are believing the truth? What science calls truth changes all the time. Even big things. Referring back to Krauss, science used to believe nothing was eternal.

Atheists believe when they are dead, it is just like it was before they were ever conceived -( non-existence ). Have you ever personally, or heard anyone else complain about what it was like for any given person before he/she was conceived?
Why would you equate someone who was never conceived with someone who was conceived? That would make your life as meaningless as all things that never existed. But the problem with your point it is that a living person does exist and is much different than a human who never was. You couldn't even call them a human. You should assign a higher value to yourself and everyone you care about.

Are you really happy knowing the dark future for you
Totally.

Reality is beautiful.

You misunderstand athiests badly.

Where did you get the weird notion that they are unhappy?

Atheism is a religion. The god is self.

That's the exact opposite of atheism.

I really find it odd that so many Americans have this deep hatred and total misunderstanding of atheism.

Saying atheism is a religion is like saying someone who hates golf likely plays 300 rounds a year.

Totally.

Reality is beautiful.

You misunderstand athiests badly.

Where did you get the weird notion that they are unhappy?
You must only be reading some of this thread. There is nowhere in the 570 posts that I stated atheists are unhappy.
I have questioned how they are able to feel happiness since they have ZERO hope in the future for themselves and their loved ones.

I just haven't figured out how you could be, knowing you are going to eternally not exist in a few more blinks of an eye.

On the contrary, shouldn't you be highly frightened of existing for eternity?
Why would you want to do that?

There's zero evidence to guarantee such an existence will be pleasant.

What if eternity is painfully boring and dull?

By the way, how was your eternity before you were born? Recall any of it?
That's the way eternity will be after you die.

Enjoy life now. It's all you got.

I really find it odd that so many Americans have this deep hatred and total misunderstanding of atheism.
Americans? Let's focus on the subject, not the superiority of Europeans. You could start another thread though if you think we are stupid over here.

Sour grapes...

It's not all I have. It's not all you have either.
I'm not afraid of eternity. Just the opposite.
And yes, you are right. I didn't exist before I didn't exist. But I do now.

This isn't about real life, as much as it is about real death.
I truly feel sorrow and compassion for you.

When I die, I will no longer exist. There won't be a "me" to care about anything. The only time we care about death is when we're alive. After that, who cares?

You don't feel anything for me.

Back
Top Bottom