• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why did you pick atheism?

Roger Duke

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
You could be a theist and have hope that something is out there besides a cold dark eternal death.
You could be an agnostic and admit the truth; that neither theism nor atheism can be shown to be correct with our current knowledge.
But you made the bold choice of atheism and used the evidence (and lack of evidence) available to you, to Iive out the rest of your days, confident that when your life is over it's over, and it didn't matter that you didn't matter.....and it didn't matter that the Universe itself didn't matter. Why is that more appealing to you than the other two choices?

You could be a theist and have hope that something is out there besides a cold dark eternal death.
You could be an agnostic and admit the truth; that neither theism nor atheism can be shown to be correct with our current knowledge.
But you made the bold choice of atheism and used the evidence (and lack of evidence) available to you, to Iive out the rest of your days, confident that when your life is over it's over, and it didn't matter that you didn't matter.....and it didn't matter that the Universe itself didn't matter. Why is that more appealing to you than the other two choices?

Logic. No evidence, no God. Same as Santa Claus or the Yeti or Thor.

Agnostics are believers. They're just embarrassed about it.

Unfortunately, that's basically the truth.

I am agnostic. It is most likely that that death is final and there are no "Gods" but that can't be said absolutely.
If one claims their religion is the one true religion and there God is the one true God , well, they are pretty freakin out of it.

Please Lord Jesus...protect me from your followers.

I don't think I really chose to be atheist. Honestly I would really like for there to be an afterlife or some higher power, and if I could just flip a switch in my mind and start believing in God and heaven or whatever I would for my peace of mind. But my brain knows deep down that every miracle and phenomenon can or will be explained by science one day, and I don't think I can get past that.

Reality is appealing.

I am agnostic. It is most likely that that death is final and there are no "Gods" but that can't be said absolutely.
If one claims their religion is the one true religion and there God is the one true God , well, they are pretty freakin out of it.
You are also an athiest......since atheism means a lack of theistic belief......since it seems you do not have no theistic beliefs you are an athiest.

I didn't get to pick the religion that was given me by my parents.

I chose not to be religious because I thought it out, and it didn't make sense for me, and it still doesn't.

But you made the bold choice of atheism and used the evidence (and lack of evidence) available to you, to Iive out the rest of your days, confident that when your life is over it's over, and it didn't matter that you didn't matter.....and it didn't matter that the Universe itself didn't matter.
We're atheists, not nihilists. We can still believe in moral principles and that life has meaning even if we reject religion.

If there is a God, He allows little girls to get raped. He allows priests to molest little boys, famine, fires, tsunamis, earthquakes, genocides, war after war after war after war. God has destroyed the world by flood, cities by fire, there's the book of Job. If there is a God He's an evil, childish, sadistic failure.

So I choose to believe there's no God. I'm an atheist.

Atheism is a religion. The god is self.
A lot of truth to that. Theists have faith that something bigger is out there. Most of them have faith in a specific religion that they have chosen. Religions are faith systems and it takes faith to believe that some kind of higher power does NOT exist. Atheists do many of the same things theists do when they pick which system to have faith in. But they are putting their faith in something, even it is human intelligence so you could label them "people of faith".

Nope. Atheism is a decision and a choice.

Baldness is not.
Sure it is. With enough money a person can have hair transplanted. It's a choice.

Why does it matter if they are agnostic or atheist? Leave them alone.

Back
Top Bottom