• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why did the War start?

justone said:
Cyrus didn't have anything to do to Islam? Am I correct? Was he an atheist if I am correct?

I'm not sure. He is known as a Muslims to Persians.

GySgt said:
I'm not sure. He is known as a Muslims to Persians.

It is very interesting. Chronologically he cannot be a Muslim. If I am correct it may be a great talking point. like -- Iranians you are too great to limit yourself by Islam, etc..

Why did the war start? Here's the White House version of DSM. A conversation between Bush and Blair in January 2003. Two months before Bush said he decided to go to war.

WHAT THE WHITE HOUSE MEMO SAYS:

President Bush to Tony Blair: "The US was thinking of flying U2 reconnaissance aircraft with fighter cover over Iraq, painted in UN colours. If Saddam fired on them, he would be in breach"

Bush: "It was also possible that a defector could be brought out who would give a public presentation about Saddam's WMD, and there was also a small possibility that Saddam would be assassinated."

Blair: "A second Security Council Resolution resolution would provide an insurance policy against the unexpected and international cover, including with the Arabs. "

Bush: "The US would put its full weight behind efforts to get another resolution and would 'twist arms' and 'even threaten'. But he had to say that if ultimately we failed, military action would follow anyway.''

Blair responds that he is: "solidly with the President and ready to do whatever it took to disarm Saddam."

Bush told Blair he: "thought it unlikely that there would be internecine warfare between the different religious and ethnic groups."

http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/?q=whitehousememo

Most people call it UN Resolution 1441.

It would take a great philosopher to know all the causes of the Iraq war, suffice it to say that President George W. Bush accused Iraq of having weapons of mass destruction - some of which were sold to Iraq by George H.W. Bush when he was President - that Saddam Hussein denied having and the United Nations weapons inspectors could not find, but that President Bush insisted Iraq had, or was in the process of acquiring for imminent use against the United States; and that when this was shown to be based on false intelligence, the invasion and occupation was then justified as a war against terrorism, to liberate Iraq from a oppressive regime, and spread democracy throughout the Middle East; for which thousands of American soldiers were killed and wounded, and untold numbers of Iraqi citizens lost their lives, were maimed, imprisoned, tortured, humiliated, and made to be enemies of the United States and its allies.

Ausonius said:
It would take a great philosopher to know all the causes of the Iraq war, suffice it to say that President George W. Bush accused Iraq of having weapons of mass destruction - some of which were sold to Iraq by George H.W. Bush when he was President - that Saddam Hussein denied having and the United Nations weapons inspectors could not find, but that President Bush insisted Iraq had, or was in the process of acquiring for imminent use against the United States; and that when this was shown to be based on false intelligence, the invasion and occupation was then justified as a war against terrorism, to liberate Iraq from a oppressive regime, and spread democracy throughout the Middle East; for which thousands of American soldiers were killed and wounded, and untold numbers of Iraqi citizens lost their lives, were maimed, imprisoned, tortured, humiliated, and made to be enemies of the United States and its allies.
No, we will not suffice it to say, ON YOUR WORD. Let's see your documented proof. And I mean proof, not news articles by left-leaning sources. BTW, "could not find" doesn't mean "doesn't exist", because Hussein thwarted the inspectors repeatedly and put out false information about his WMD programs. Of course our security doesn't matter to you, you probably voted for Clinton, and you're probably against jailing and deporting illegal aliens. We have a really good idea of how many Iraqis lost their lives to woodchippers, hangings, stabbings, guttings, electricutions and then put into mass graves prior to OIF. Now I know you support that sort of thing, and it would have been easier to leave it as it was (in your view) rather than dirty your lily-white hands to help others. When he said mission accomplished, he meant the mission started and left unfinished in 1991, which caused untold deaths of Shia Muslims and Kurds afterwards. But these people are slime to you, as we all know.

For one who demands “proof,” you seem willing enough to indulge in a number of presumptions. If, as you say,‘“could not find” doesn’t mean “doesn’t exist”’ - it likewise doesn’t mean “does exist.” It is a rule of evidence that the existence (or non-existence) of an asserted fact cannot be proved by negative inference (e.g., that we are more safe now because we have not been attacked); and while one may draw conclusions in some instances on the basis of presumption, a presumption is not evidence, much less proof of the fact. When I wrote the above post, I attempted to summarize the causes of the Iraq war, which were taken from the “Horse’s Mouth.” We can look to our leader for explanation - for there is no proof.

You go on to state: “Of course our security doesn’t matter to you, you probably voted for Clinton, and you’re probably against jailing and deporting illegal aliens” ... that you know I support the atrocities committed against the Iraqi people, who are “slime” to me, “as we all know.” None of these presumptions are supported by any facts, nor are the assertions true; but one may nevertheless draw a conclusion about your personal bias and prejudices. (I would hazzard to guess that I am substantially more conservative than you.) We - all of us - bring our personal biases and prejudices to the public forum; and while it takes many things to be disposed to any one point of view, it only takes one thing to be indisposed to it, viz. ourselves. We would do well to examine ourselves before labeling others.

On a more personal note, the first rule of civility is to maintain respect for others. I expect that the next time you call me to account, that you be able to account for yourself.

GW was completely justified in attacking the terrorist scum in Iraq. "Bring it on"! I say that if Iran gets in the way, since they are obviously part of the 'Axis of Evil' then we should carpet bomb their cities. Attack the hell out of the Iraq. Bomb the Sunni Triangle into the stone age...the one prior to the one in which they are now living...desert cave dwellers!@

Back
Top Bottom