• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Catholics cannot worship properly from home (1 Viewer)

You seem to be under the mistaken idea that it's only people that worship in a church can be a person of faith. That in itself is against the teachings of the church. Do you recall someone telling you once, "God is everywhere" ?

You've stated clearly what you are.

I am not sure what you mean. Some people use a rosary somewhat like an abacus.

"Somewhat" like a Rosary? That doesn't make any sense when people already have ten fingers. Why don't you just acknowledge that you don't actually know much about any of this? There is only one purpose, and it isn't to count or to tie your hair back into a ponytail.

"Somewhat" like a Rosary? That doesn't make any sense when people already have ten fingers. Why don't you just acknowledge that you don't actually know much about any of this? There is only one purpose, and it isn't to count or to tie your hair back into a ponytail.

Why invent an abacus if we have ten fingers? Or a calculator. Why not just acknowledge you have nothing but ignorance instead of any valid argument?

Why invent an abacus if we have ten fingers? Or a calculator. Why not just acknowledge you have nothing but ignorance instead of any valid argument?

I'm not making an argument; I'm pointing out your lack of knowledge and continuing to be mystified at why you continue to double down when you're mistaken and demonstrably don't understand even the one function of the Rosary.

I'm not making an argument; I'm pointing out your lack of knowledge and continuing to be mystified at why you continue to double down when you're mistaken and demonstrably don't understand even the one function of the Rosary.

I resort to the fewest fallacies "for the greater glory of our immortal souls"?

I'm sure Jesus will understand, if you can't get to church for a couple of months.

For sure. So many.. sometimes yours truly even (horrors) speak of things we do not fully understood... and need to investigate further

I'm sure Jesus will understand, if you can't get to church for a couple of months.

I remember reading many years ago that Rose Kennedy attended Mass every morning. I imagine that not being able to go to church at all is very difficult for those who love going. It's not about Jesus understanding; it's about those for whom weekly Bible studies or Shabbat or other congregational services are an integral part of their lives. Of course, God understands. Apart from the pandemic, there are always those who are too infirm to attend or who lack transportation.

I've heard of Transubstantiation, but do people literally believe this in the 21st century, or do they regard it as symbolism?

If they believe it to be the actual flesh of Jesus, then there is a little issue about practicing and advocating cannibalism that should be addressed....

One-third of U.S. Catholics believe in transubstantiation | Pew Research Center

Yes, millions upon millions of people believe in transubstantiation.

Over 20 years ago when my sister became a licensed pagan minister (Wiccan), I remember her bringing up this cannibalism angle and my Googling. I'm going to do that right now and will update this post.

Are Catholics Cannibals? | Catholic Answers
Is Receiving the Eucharist Cannibalism? | Catholic Answers | Catholic Answers
Catholic 'cannibalism'

First three Google hits.

Last edited:
Yes, millions upon millions of people believe in transubstantiation.

Over 20 years ago when my sister became a licensed pagan minister (Wiccan) her bringing up this cannibalism angle and my Googling. I'm going to do that right now and will update this post.

Are Catholics Cannibals? | Catholic Answers
Is Receiving the Eucharist Cannibalism? | Catholic Answers | Catholic Answers
Catholic 'cannibalism'

First three Google hits.

A quote from your first article:

"In the Eucharist, after the priest consecrates the bread and wine and they are, in fact, transubstantiated into the body, blood, soul and divinity of our Lord, our Lord is then entirely present. Neither bread nor wine remains. However, the accidents of bread and wine (size, weight, taste, texture) do remain."

I think he is trying to have it both ways. He is essentially saying that it exist simultaneously as the actual body of Christ and as a wafer. Obviously, that defies the laws of physics, but I guess an omnipotent being could do that.

Might be easier to swallow (no pun intended), if they claimed the spirit of Jesus was present in the wafer.

In any case, per the article I included with my post above, only 1/3 of Catholics believe in it literally.

"In the Eucharist, after the priest consecrates the bread and wine and they are, in fact, transubstantiated into the body, blood, soul and divinity of our Lord, our Lord is then entirely present. Neither bread nor wine remains. However, the accidents of bread and wine (size, weight, taste, texture) do remain."

I think he is trying to have it both ways. He is essentially saying that it exist simultaneously as the actual body of Christ and as a wafer. Obviously, that defies the laws of physics, but I guess an omnipotent being could do that.

Why, yes. :roll:

Might be easier to swallow (no pun intended), if they claimed the spirit of Jesus was present in the wafer.

In any case, per the article I included with my post above, only 1/3 of Catholics believe in it literally.

So what? And nobody's asking you to swallow anything. I am simply providing information. Believe/don't believe as you please.

I've heard of Transubstantiation, but do people literally believe this in the 21st century, or do they regard it as symbolism?

If they believe it to be the actual flesh of Jesus, then there is a little issue about practicing and advocating cannibalism that should be addressed....

One-third of U.S. Catholics believe in transubstantiation | Pew Research Center

You will have to talk to Jesus, take to him your accusations bc he instituted the Holy Mass and Eucharist

Jn 6:27

and from my best info far less than that make it to Heaven....not good to put much weight on what humans do.

Why, yes. :roll:

So what? And nobody's asking you to swallow anything. I am simply providing information. Believe/don't believe as you please.

No need to get defensive. Just talking it through, as a purely intellectual exercise. It doesn't matter to me either way.

But if only 1/3 of Catholics take it literally, I'm thinking that they may want to re-evaluate a few things...

No need to get defensive. Just talking it through, as a purely intellectual exercise. It doesn't matter to me either way.

But if only 1/3 of Catholics take it literally, I'm thinking that they may want to re-evaluate a few things...

Oh, I couldn't agree more--beginning with why they call themselves "Catholic."

So, apparently Google/YouTube is reading my content...

Out of the blue, my suggested YouTube feed includes videos on the Trinity.

It would be amazing, if it weren't so creepy (Youtube listening, not the Trinity)

So, apparently Google/YouTube is reading my content...

Out of the blue, my suggested YouTube feed includes videos on the Trinity.

It would be amazing, if it weren't so creepy (Youtube listening, not the Trinity)

Google/YouTube God is watching you. Be vewy afwaid.

Funny how my Catholic grandmother had no issue worshipping from home for decades. She didn't step foot inside a church after her divorce from my grandfather, but was still very much a believer in the Catholic faith.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Yes, we may want to question why our clergy are not telling us or reminding us...

Strange I've been Catholic so long yet only once did a priest mention this or I wouldn't know about it either...a thought that makes me shudder...Human being need Jesus to get to Heaven. Jesus is not just a good idea

V

Funny how my Catholic grandmother had no issue worshipping from home for decades. She didn't step foot inside a church after her divorce from my grandfather, but was still very much a believer in the Catholic faith.

What’s funny about her practicing her religion as she saw fit?

What’s funny about her practicing her religion as she saw fit?
Others seem to feel it is not possible to practice catholicism without going to church. Her story, like many others, shows it is.

Others seem to feel it is not possible to practice catholicism without going to church. Her story, like many others, shows it is.

That’s because others don’t share the same belief as your mother. Others beliefs and customs are not bound by what one person thought and is comfortable with. It’s not logical.

That’s because others don’t share the same belief as your mother. Others beliefs and customs are not bound by what one person thought and is comfortable with. It’s not logical.
But they can adapt temporarily to restrictions for the greater good. People have to do it all the time. It isnt that difficult. People make it difficult from their stubbornness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom