• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who or what do you care most about?

From these options, who or what do you care most about?

• My city as a whole

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My state as a whole

• My country and our allies

• Total voters
Never. :2razz:

This has been a philosophical theory of mine that I have been formulating for many years. I haven't seen it proven wrong, yet. I've presented here at DP a couple of time. Some folks don't want to admit that they take themselves into consideration in every behavior that the do. Mostly, the reason is that they place a negative value judgement towards taking care of or being kind to themselves, an absurd position.

As far as libertarianism goes, I will NEVER turn to the dark side, however, you'd be surprised that quite a few of my positions would be considered libertarian in nature. Most of my political and economic position are based on human psychology, not on standard political or economic theory. That's why it is very hard to classify where on the political spectrum I truly lay.

You can't resist the calling! :2razz:

I totally agree with your theory.
100% accurate.

Transaction Theory states that the concept of pure altruism does not exist, at least not in the sense that people will often use it. There is no such thing as a selfless act. Every action that we make is a "transaction". If, for example, I do something for you, I get something out of doing that thing... perhaps a feeling of self-worth, or a good feeling of helping another. This feeling is the "payoff" and may be obtained unconsciously or without the conscious motivation towards obtaining it.. Even choosing to die for someone is not a selfless act. In this case, the transaction would precede the behavior... the good feeling of sacrificing for another. Therefore, it is not possible to put anyone but yourself first. This does not denote selfishness, however, and as can be seen with Transaction Theory, obtaining ones "payoff" often benefits others, sometimes more qualitatively or quantitatively than oneself. Even in those situations, though, the behavior starts with the self.

Sorry and no disrespect? But Dr. Phil is that You? Really it sounds like what he says-humans do nothing without some sort of pay off. Personally? I feel that humans do good things just because.

You can't resist the calling! :2razz:

I totally agree with your theory.
100% accurate.

So, let's review. You are 100% on board with my health care position, an with my "Life-Interaction" Philosophy of "Transaction Theory". Have you considered the possibility that I have been slowly turning YOU into one of MY disciples? :2razz::lol::lol::lol:

It is kinda. I just find it fascinating that when we agree on something. our positions on that thing are nearly identical.

I have many friends who have told me that I missed my true calling to be a therapist, due to my ability to listen and remain impartial, non-judgemental, and see things from all sides... no matter who it was. ** I also studied a [tiny] bit of psychology when I was considering the field at some point. And, I've also studied a bit in an effort to learn more about myself and my own actions. Maybe that's why when we agree, it's nearly identical? LOL

** (in fact, this ability and the results of it are why I don't use chat programs much at all. I had so fricken many people who would just DUMP on me as soon as I logged in. I seriously started feeling like the internet therapist and dreaded logging on in my leisure time )

Sorry and no disrespect? But Dr. Phil is that You? Really it sounds like what he says-humans do nothing without some sort of pay off. Personally? I feel that humans do good things just because.

Never compare me to Dr. Phil. He's an idiot who thinks he can solve people's problem in 30 minutes. However, if he is on board with what I presented, then perhaps he is not as much of an idiot as I have assumed.

There is no "because", Kali. You get something out of everything you do. The issue with many people is that they place a negative value judgement on that fact. I would challenge anyone to ask themselves why it is bad to get something good for yourself when you do something good for someone else. That is the issue, here. My philosophy is completely logically sound. Lack of belief in it is based on one's own psychology.

Ahh... then you do what you do for your loved ones expecting something in return. So, you're not *really* putting them first, are you? You expect something, and when you don't receive it, you feel stressed. Note: I'm not judging that, just making an observation. Stop expecting, and you will stop stressing. You're seeking something from them that you're not receiving from them. And maybe, you don't NEED it from them. Or, maybe you DO... in which case you need to change the standards of your relationships or cut them loose altogether.

Huh? You are reading a whole lot into my post that I did not say. Of course you seem to do that a Lot.

I have many friends who have told me that I missed my true calling to be a therapist, due to my ability to listen and remain impartial, non-judgemental, and see things from all sides... no matter who it was. ** I also studied a [tiny] bit of psychology when I was considering the field at some point. And, I've also studied a bit in an effort to learn more about myself and my own actions. Maybe that's why when we agree, it's nearly identical? LOL

** (in fact, this ability and the results of it are why I don't use chat programs much at all. I had so fricken many people who would just DUMP on me as soon as I logged in. I seriously started feeling like the internet therapist and dreaded logging on in my leisure time )

Your comments in post #49 are classic therapeutic intervention. I've said things similar to clients just TODAY. :2razz:

You may have missed your calling and you are probably right. One reason when we agree we do so, so completely is probably because of the psychological and impartial way we communicate.

Last edited:
Huh? You are reading a whole lot into my post that I did not say. Of course you seem to do that a Lot.

;)
I always worry more about others in my life than myself though and need to maybe chill a bit on it. That would be a whole other thread. I just think that people that I love in my life should always come first even though they do not seem to feel same which is why I stay half stressed out most times and some of them are not even blood. But that is a whole other thread.

The bolded part is evidence of your expectations from them. Like I said, I'm not judging that, just pointing it out. Remove the expection, and you remove the stress.

Never compare me to Dr. Phil. He's an idiot who thinks he can solve people's problem in 30 minutes. However, if he is on board with what I presented, then perhaps he is not as much of an idiot as I have assumed.

There is no "because", Kali. You get something out of everything you do. The issue with many people is that they place a negative value judgement on that fact. I would challenge anyone to ask themselves why it is bad to get something good for yourself when you do something good for someone else. That is the issue, here. My philosophy is completely logically sound. Lack of belief in it is based on one's own psychology.

If you do not wish to be compaired to him? Do not come talking about this crap he has been talking for YEARS. He says every single thing people do has a "pay off" in some way to them. Which is pretty much what you are saying. Humans do things because they get some sort of pay off from it.

Again: I do not mean to offend you or anything as I have a lot of respect for you. So please do not get mad at me or anything:(

Ability to listen and remain impartial, non-judgemental, and see things from all sides?? I do not get that from you here. Maybe you should start being more like that on the interwebz. Just saying

You consider yourself a liberal? I'd put you closer to libertarian, IMO.

My personal philosophy is a mix of personal responsibility and moral relativism both based on situational context and human psychology. It doesn't really fit libertarianism... from what I see it is far too flexible, but it also doesn't fit liberalism... far too inflexible. This is one of the biggest reasons I have never posted an "About Us" thread. Describing where I stand and how on issues is pretty impossible to identify in a brief statement.

Your comments in post #49 are classic therapeutic intervention. I've said things similar to clients just TODAY. :2razz:

You may have missed your calling and you are probably right. One reason when we agree we do so, so completely is probably because of the psychological and impartial way we communicate.

Very unprofessional.

If you do not wish to be compaired to him? Do not come talking about this crap he has been talking for YEARS. He says every single thing people do has a "pay off" in some way to them. Which is pretty much what you are saying. Humans do things because they get some sort of pay off from it.

Again: I do not mean to offend you or anything as I have a lot of respect for you. So please do not get mad at me or anything:(

I'm not getting mad... I just can't stand Dr. Phil. I haven't watched him in years because he gives what I do a bad name. Makes it all seem slick and easy when it is anything but. But if that's what he says, then he is right... and stole my theory. Every thing humans do gets them some sort of payoff. This is not a problem, it's just a reality. The problem is how each of us interpret this reality. To me, this is a good thing. I like to feel good about myself, and I know that the things that I do to make myself feel good ALSO make others feel good and benefit them... often more than they benefit me. It seems to me that your perception is that being self-focused in many ways is a bad thing. That is how you are interpreting placing yourself first. The problem isn't whether you place yourself first... you do. The problem is that you don't feel good about doing that.

Ability to listen and remain impartial, non-judgemental, and see things from all sides?? I do not get that from you here. Maybe you should start being more like that on the interwebz. Just saying

Fair enough, hon. :cheers:

Very unprofessional.

Are you kidding? It can be the cornerstone of assertiveness and self-esteem building. Also, it helps one to recognize when they are being treated poorly in a relationship and how NOT to let that happen. NOT helping a client with these things would be unprofessional.

Are you kidding? It can be the cornerstone of assertiveness and self-esteem building. Also, it helps one to recognize when they are being treated poorly in a relationship and how NOT to let that happen. NOT helping a client with these things would be unprofessional.

I have a feeling the "very unprofessional" comment was in reference to you posting about what you were "just discussing with clients today"; perhaps Kali is under the misapprehension that you're violating patient confidentiality ethics or something.
Ridiculous, of course; but then, one must consider the source.

I have a feeling the "very unprofessional" comment was in reference to you posting about what you were "just discussing with clients today"; perhaps Kali is under the misapprehension that you're violating patient confidentiality ethics or something.

Oh. That makes sense. Yeah, I broke no confidentiality issues. I didn't identify the client or the context. I only identified the essence of what I said. No identifying characteristics at all.

Also in reguards to another post? I find it sad creepy that anybody would pick to die for their religion and it's followers over themseleves. Can we say sheep and cultfollower? Yikes:(

So if you would die for your parents, for instance, would you be a sheep or cult follower too?

Transaction Theory states that the concept of pure altruism does not exist, at least not in the sense that people will often use it. There is no such thing as a selfless act. Every action that we make is a "transaction". If, for example, I do something for you, I get something out of doing that thing... perhaps a feeling of self-worth, or a good feeling of helping another. This feeling is the "payoff" and may be obtained unconsciously or without the conscious motivation towards obtaining it.. Even choosing to die for someone is not a selfless act. In this case, the transaction would precede the behavior... the good feeling of sacrificing for another. Therefore, it is not possible to put anyone but yourself first. This does not denote selfishness, however, and as can be seen with Transaction Theory, obtaining ones "payoff" often benefits others, sometimes more qualitatively or quantitatively than oneself. Even in those situations, though, the behavior starts with the self.

There was a great episode of friends that taught me a dumbed down version of this when I was a kid.

edit: BAM:

HowStuffWorks "Is there such a thing as a truly unselfish act?"

That was kinda what I was thinking. I wonder all the time what my shrink says about me to others:)

Even if they do not use my name or anything? I do not want em talking about me to people or posting about me on the webs. lol

Last edited:
I picked the human race because without it we would all have nothing.

Back
Top Bottom