• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who is your nation's greatest ally? [W:151]

Europe in general's greatest ally perhaps is the US, and also its greatest economic rival, but for individual european nations, I believe our greatest and most reliable allies are our european neighbours. As I stated, I believe the UK's greatest allies are Ireland, Portugal, Belgium and the Netherlands. Spain's would be Italy, Portugal, and perhaps Germany. It also has a special relationship with many, if not all, Latin American countries very akin to that of the UK with the Commonwealth nations.

They're not really big fish are they?

Who would you prefer?

It's not that I have a personal preference, it's just that I'd like an ally that doesn't drag us into unnecessary and highly illegal conflicts, an ally that doesn't oppress members of it's own population, an ally that doesn't launch drone attacks killing countless innocent civilians, an that doesn't starve an entire continent, an ally that doesn't impose financial sanctions upon some of the world poorest nations, an ally that doesn't support some of the world's worst dictatorial regimes, an ally that doesn't promote and fund international terrorism, an ally that is not so self obsessed that it believes in itself as a nation chosen by God to police the whole world, an ally that doesn't have one of the lowest literacy rates within the so called developed world, an ally that doesn't believe health care should be only for the rich, an ally that...well you get the idea.

I'm an interventionist.

Until that day [equal rights], me say war. -Marley (Selassie)

well you get the idea.

That you are prone to hysterical overreactions and are quite willing to say things that aren't true as long it suits your agenda?

They're not really big fish are they?

Well, I guess you have to take a view on what you mean when you talk about your 'greatest' ally. Great doesn't necessarily mean strongest or most powerful. To me it means one that you can rely on come hell or high water, one whose national interests are unlikely to conflict with your own and who have proved to be a cooperative friend over a long period of time.

Greatest =/= most powerful.

Yes, the USA is the most powerful NATO member and hence, all NATO members should regard the USA as their most powerful ally. But many nations in Europe had alliances over the courses of centuries that shaped the very face of the world. You can't hold NATO, an institution that doesn't have 80 years of existence with that.

Following this definition, I'd say France has been Germany's greatest ally post-WW2.

The most powerful ally, naturally, would be the US.

In New Zealand our greatest allies would be the Commonwealth, especially England and Australia. The USA is a big one too though...

Back
Top Bottom